JohnnyMac: Love Him or Hate Him? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

JohnnyMac: Love Him or Hate Him?

TennisHack
07-25-2002, 12:26 AM
What is a retired players forum without a John McEnroe thread, eh? And everyone seems to have an opinion of him. So, what do you think?

I like JohnnyMac because he always has something to say. Yes, he can be obnoxious, but usually I can just laugh it off. His commentary is a treat at the Grand Slams. I think he was a fascinating player (McBrat indeed) who paved the way for people like Safin to be more readily accepted on the court :fiery:

What do you think? Has anyone read his book?

Bella
07-26-2002, 11:53 PM
He was my favorite. I saw him a few days ago and he won in singles. He did have two major fits. He coudn't get an over-rule and after the second fit the chair umpire said to the audience, "well, you got what you came for". Some truth to that. But it was no performance. He is as intense as ever. He yelled at the line judge (the call was wrong, it was right in front of me, he couldn't have been watching) and threw such a fit in doubles that they docked him (and Kendrick) a point. He also wheedled for an extra serve once, claiming distraction. He didn't put that much effort into it, though. They lost in doubles but he played well and was good after his matches in signing autographs and posing. He did two separate sessions.

A young boy beside me asked (about all the matches) "why they [are] so serious. Do they make a lot of money if they win?"

tennischick
08-08-2002, 04:38 PM
i love him as a commentator. he is less dangerous in the booth. he can't hit children with water bottles...;) ;)

Goonergal
08-09-2002, 03:23 PM
As a commentator he rocks for the BBC at Wimbledon! :D

Lindsayfan
08-09-2002, 03:23 PM
i loved him as player,i dont like him so much as person.i prefer "gentlemen"! ;)

syd17
08-24-2002, 06:45 AM
he is the male version of capriati at this years australian open" something along the lines of "get this fucken linesman off the court......fuck this". VERY RUDE AND NOT A GOOD ROLE MODEL! :(