Nalbandianīserve [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nalbandianīserve

DanEd
06-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Both Hewitt and Coria could develop a bigger serve , why the hell can not nalbandian do the same thing?

Action Jackson
06-28-2005, 01:47 PM
It's not solely a technical thing. What happens is that when under extreme pressure, the shot that is the biggest weakness is liable to break down and for David that is his serve and forehand to an extent.

In training he can hit them well, but it's in the match that counts. I think that he should try and get more topspin on his serve and use more placement as well, if the length is good, then it's harder to attack, but he can hit too many short serves.

It will never be a strength, but if he can improve it all the better.

Fedex
06-29-2005, 04:04 AM
It will never be a strength, but if he can improve it all the better.
True. His serve is not so horrible anyway. At least I can say that David actually puts his serves into play(Unlike poor Dementieva, whom I've seen lose entire service games on 4 straight double faults.)

Kiank
06-29-2005, 09:09 PM
True. His serve is not so horrible anyway. At least I can say that David actually puts his serves into play(Unlike poor Dementieva, whom I've seen lose entire service games on 4 straight double faults.)

I don't agree. His serve is pretty weak for such a physically gifted guy, and extremely ineffective. He simply doesn't work enough to improve it. Look at Hewitt, he made his serve a real weapon. David will need to correct this problem immediately! He really surprised me in one of his interviews when he said serving big was not so important. Very immature statement.
By the way, learning to hold service games will also make his wins easier, matches shorter and as a result, keep him away from injuries. He always fights so hard, even against lower ranked players. He must be dominant - with such a clean return and excellent ground strokes.

sigmagirl91
06-29-2005, 09:46 PM
I don't agree. His serve is pretty weak for such a physically gifted guy, and extremely ineffective. He simply doesn't work enough to improve it. Look at Hewitt, he made his serve a real weapon. David will need to correct this problem immediately! He really surprised me in one of his interviews when he said serving big was not so important. Very immature statement.
By the way, learning to hold service games will also make his wins easier, matches shorter and as a result, keep him away from injuries. He always fights so hard, even against lower ranked players. He must be dominant - with such a clean return and excellent ground strokes.

And all those great groundstrokes are nothing without a good serve to back it up.

*Ljubica*
06-30-2005, 05:42 AM

And how do you know whether he works hard enough? Have you ever been to a training session or watched him in the gym - or spent any time with him when he is working? No George is right - it is a nervous thing - the more stressed he gets - the more the serve goes - that is a mental thing - nothing to do with how hard he works or trains physically.

Kiank
06-30-2005, 03:57 PM
And how do you know whether he works hard enough? Have you ever been to a training session or watched him in the gym - or spent any time with him when he is working? No George is right - it is a nervous thing - the more stressed he gets - the more the serve goes - that is a mental thing - nothing to do with how hard he works or trains physically.

I think I didn't say a word about his training sessions or working out in the gyms - because David is so gifted physically, it's obvious he must have spent a lot of time working out... what I said though and I mean it again - David doesn't work enough to improve his serve. If serving bad is a mental problem, he must work on the mental side more. After all, Rosie, you agree with George's statement that "serve is his biggest weakness", right?
Becoming nervous in crucial moments, not being able to serve out the match, getting tight etc. - these are things that separate players from the top players. David must improve his serve to quickly join the elite players group for many years to come.

*Ljubica*
06-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Actually I don't agree that his serve is the weakest thing - his mentality is the weakest thing in my opinion, and that in turn controls his "nervous serve". I do see what you're saying, but I think it's only fair to say that no matter how much someone works on a "mental problem" - sadly sometimes it will not go away, and the people close to them (whether family, friends, fans or whatever) have to support them for what they are and not condemn them for something they cannot change. David has consulted with a Sports Psychiatrist about his "nerves" - I know this for a fact - but sometimes that cannot help, in the same way that over 20 years of "treatment" to try and control a phobia I have hasn't helped me either.

And actually I don't agree that it was "immature" of him to say serving big wasn't important............rather I think it was mature of him to accept his limitations, accept (perhaps) what he has tried and can't change, - and make the best of the talents and abilities he does have. He hates big servers - he doesn't want to play like that - I personally wouldn't want to see him play like that either.

Anyway - I'm still trying to keep away from these Forums because I am in a very difficult situation and posting here makes it harder - somretimes I just get angry or feel like I have to post something and then I immediately regret it - so guess I will end by saying everyone has their own opinions and are entitled to them.

DanEd
06-30-2005, 04:43 PM
i agree with kiank, the serve is the weakest part in the nalbandianīs game,
his serve is not powerful at all, very bad accuracy and many double faults in key moments. Toko -who is a very good returner- did not have any problem with davidīs serve.

Kiank
06-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Actually I don't agree that his serve is the weakest thing - his mentality is the weakest thing in my opinion, and that in turn controls his "nervous serve". I do see what you're saying, but I think it's only fair to say that no matter how much someone works on a "mental problem" - sadly sometimes it will not go away, and the people close to them (whether family, friends, fans or whatever) have to support them for what they are and not condemn them for something they cannot change. David has consulted with a Sports Psychiatrist about his "nerves" - I know this for a fact - but sometimes that cannot help, in the same way that over 20 years of "treatment" to try and control a phobia I have hasn't helped me either.

And actually I don't agree that it was "immature" of him to say serving big wasn't important............rather I think it was mature of him to accept his limitations, accept (perhaps) what he has tried and can't change, - and make the best of the talents and abilities he does have. He hates big servers - he doesn't want to play like that - I personally wouldn't want to see him play like that either.

Anyway - I'm still trying to keep away from these Forums because I am in a very difficult situation and posting here makes it harder - somretimes I just get angry or feel like I have to post something and then I immediately regret it - so guess I will end by saying everyone has their own opinions and are entitled to them.

About his mentality being the weakest thing, I would totally agree with you - and yet... let's separate mental problems from the playing skills. It's so obvious -I'm surprised we're still discussing this - think for a moment - his return never lets him down regardless of how nervous he is. So his return is definetely great and his serve is definely weak. Very simple. He needs to work more to correct this.
No one condemns him, everybody wishes him the best of luck and wants to see him happy, winning many titles. I've personally been supporting him since Estoril 2002, browsing the Internet for every single match he had played.
And I think it's clear no one would want to see David playing like a Ivo Carlovic or Wayne Arthurs type of a player, we are talking here about making his serve a more stable and reliable weapon.

oneandonlyhsn
06-30-2005, 06:20 PM
Watching Nalby serve is like watching Elena Dementieva serve :scared: I close my eyes and hope it goes in

DanEd
06-30-2005, 06:38 PM
look at his serve stats against gasquet
Fastest Serve 119 MPH
Average 1st Serve Speed 107 MPH

Average 2nd Serve Speed 91 MPH

pretty bad :( :retard:

his second service is pretty bad too

jazz_girl
06-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Watching Nalby serve is like watching Elena Dementieva serve :scared: I close my eyes and hope it goes in
:lol:
I was hearing the ESPN commentators and they were comparing David's serve with Roddick's, and David's average speed of his first service is the same one as Roddick's second. They were not saying that David's one was but, how powerful and difficult to return Roddick's serves are.

gooner88
06-30-2005, 07:13 PM
I've watched all of Nalbo's matches at Wimby from R2 onwards, and the only match in which he served poorly was against Murray. He's actually served pretty well during the tournament.
He's never going to have a massive serve in the 130mph range, but the placement is key. He does work on his serve, and more practice and match wins will improve his confidence on serve.
He lost serve so many times yesterday because of wrong shot selection and bad unforced errors and not because his serve was fast enough.

jazz_girl
06-30-2005, 07:19 PM
I agree! I said several times yesterday, during his match, that the only thing that saved him from not getting broken more was his serve. It wasn't that bad at all...

sophia_c
06-30-2005, 07:21 PM
I agree...he served well....it was all working but he was not there....he was certainly somewhere else....which I find surprising at this stage of a tournament...but we don't really know what goes on in the head of a tennis player....he now needs to forget about Wimbledon...and so do we....onwards and upwards

DanEd
06-30-2005, 08:14 PM
if he served well in wimbledon then imagine when He serves bad :lol: :tape:
I've watched all of Nalbo's matches at Wimby from R2 onwards, and the only match in which he served poorly was against Murray. He's actually served pretty well during the tournament.
He's never going to have a massive serve in the 130mph range, but the placement is key. He does work on his serve, and more practice and match wins will improve his confidence on serve.
He lost serve so many times yesterday because of wrong shot selection and bad unforced errors and not because his serve was fast enough.

frula08
07-01-2005, 11:16 AM
i dont think that he served so bad as you are saying, he is not going to be as federer or roddick, but for me one of the problems is not speed (he could serve faster), but is that he doesnt connect a lot of first services, if you see nadal, he is not serving faster than david, but he makes 70% of first services in, and that is very important, at least for me.
about what he said of service not being so important, you can see joachim johansson, who in australia made 51 aces against agassi and lost his match.
with this service david has beaten federer, roddick, safin, guga, henman, and lots of other players, i think that he can improve it, i hope he will, and i trust that he will.

Action Jackson
07-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Actually he didn't serve that badly, it's not a strength of his and if people think he is going to consistently hit 210km/h serves, then they should go watch something else.

Yes, it can improve that is why he needs more variation and higher percentages than trying to hit ridiculously fast serves. It's like Roddick, he isn't going to become a finesse player anytime soon and Nalbandian isn't going to be an ace machine.

DanEd
07-01-2005, 03:35 PM
I know that but he could try add some miles per hour.
Coria and Hewitt have done that.

bActually he didn't serve that badly, it's not a strength of his and if people think he is going to consistently hit 210km/h serves, then they should go watch something else.

Yes, it can improve that is why he needs more variation and higher percentages than trying to hit ridiculously fast serves. It's like Roddick, he isn't going to become a finesse player anytime soon and Nalbandian isn't going to be an ace machine.

frula08
07-19-2005, 04:34 PM
I have just arrived from australia, and i saw him serving quite good (he made some services at 200 km/h), and many first services, and he started his match against arthurs making three aces in a row, i couldnīt believe that the men hitting aces was david nalbandian.

DanEd
07-19-2005, 04:58 PM
yes he did not serve bad but you can add the facts the surface was a fast grass, arthurs has an horrible return and hewitt returned bad against him.

but anway his serving performance was ok :D at least he had consistency :).

I have just arrived from australia, and i saw him serving quite good (he made some services at 200 km/h), and many first services, and he started his match against arthurs making three aces in a row, i couldnīt believe that the men hitting aces was david nalbandian.

-ernie-
07-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Davis cup he was serving magnificent i thought. I step above hewitt. He aced arthers the first three points of his service game in the match. it was awesome :cool: The speed and the consistensy has raised. Which will give him more confidence in his game when he can feel he doesnt have the pressure to hold serve.

jazz_girl
07-19-2005, 08:02 PM
I could not believe those aces myself :lol:

Kiank
07-19-2005, 08:48 PM
He doesn't have to try hitting aces on a consistent basis, but he'd better take the Agassi's approach, which is quite simple: I MUST HOLD MY SERVICE GAME!
Just imagine what happens to David if he does that considering how good returner he is. A number of Grand Slams will become a reality quite soon.