Wimbledon Website is Great [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimbledon Website is Great

mad1town
06-26-2005, 02:25 PM
To all of you saying that the site isn't good...are you joking? The coverage is excellent. Do you have any idea of the cost to run that site, keep track of scores, stats, the handhelds that umpires use, speedguns, shotspot, webcams, etc, etc...it is huge. Of course, it would be nice to have stats, webcams, etc. on every court but that is not really reasonable now is it for a free site (free...except for the Wimbledon plus option).

Some were upset that the entire site wasn't functional during qualies...no shit! There are no advertisers interested in supporting the site during qualies.

For those of you that were saying this site isn't as good as the other majors, you aren't paying attention. IBM runs the website for all 4 majors...each major must have some say on the graphics, etc. But if you look back over the past 12 majors or so you will see that they have added features at almost every major (that shot tracker thing this year is pretty cool)!!

I only wish this technology was available for every ATP event including Challengers. I don't understand why the ATP doesn't license it for use throughout the year...seems like a waste to only use the technology 4 times per year.

Some people will find anything to get upset about...

gsm
06-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Of course, it would be nice to have stats

yes it would be nice to have stats.

queens , nottingham , birmingham and eastbourne had stats for every match from 1st rd qual right through to the final. not only does the wimbledon site not have qual stats it doesnt have stats for many MD matches.

so tell me , why is it feasable for the lead up tournaments to have stats from qual through to finals and not the so called "championships"???

mad1town
06-26-2005, 03:12 PM
yes it would be nice to have stats.

so tell me , why is it feasable for the lead up tournaments to have stats from qual through to finals and not the so called "championships"???

Is this a serious question? Wimbledon is much a larger tournament than those lead up tournaments...128 player draw, both men, women, doubles, juniors...the number of courts, matches, etc. is much, much larger.

By the way, the technology they used at Queens to post live scores on the web is the EXACT same technology used at Wimbeldon and all of the majors.

gsm
06-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Is this a serious question? Wimbledon is much a larger tournament than those lead up tournaments...128 player draw, both men, women, doubles, juniors...the number of courts, matches, etc. is much, much larger.
tournament size is no excuse.

i specifically remember that the AO had stats for all matches incl juniors.

mad1town
06-26-2005, 03:26 PM
tournament size is no excuse.

i specifically remember that the AO had stats for all matches incl juniors.

As I said before, it is the same technology at every slam so it is not a technology limitation...must be that the brits don't want to pay people to run it on every court.

gsm
06-26-2005, 04:00 PM
As I said before, it is the same technology at every slam so it is not a technology limitation...must be that the brits don't want to pay people to run it on every court.
whatever the reason/s , the site is without stats for many matches. IMO , the site as a whole suffers because of this.

mini155
06-26-2005, 07:48 PM
By the way, the technology they used at Queens to post live scores on the web is the EXACT same technology used at Wimbeldon and all of the majors.

I´m sorry, but it is not the same tecnology, because the score got updated by itself on the queens page and on the Wimbledon live scoring you have to update it by yourself all the time, which gets anoying pretty fast...