Wimbledon - The Worst Grass Courts In The World? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimbledon - The Worst Grass Courts In The World?

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 11:45 AM
I have been to quite a few tournaments in the uk which are on grass, and also seen some of the grass courts from other countries, and they seem to be alot better than wimbledons courts. Wimbledons courts get bare with grass after a few days use, and they become quite worn away in that short peroid of time. Most of the other courts at other tournaments dont even look this bad after 1 weeks play (including qualies, because wimbledons courts dont have the qualies played there).

Now it would be interesting to see what you think about this? and if anyone knows why the wimbledon courts wear away so badly

I mean i am talking about small tournaments such as surbiton, eastbourne (that seem to have better quality courts than what is known as the most popular slam

alfonsojose
06-26-2005, 12:05 PM
they're way slower than Nottingham's. I mean, why are they trying to get so many long ralies on grass slowing it down on Wimby :sad:

Neely
06-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Yes, the courts are quite in bad shape, especially around and behind the basline after a few days play already.

But with best-of-five matches in the men's singles and doubles, lots of longer matches are normally played at Wimbledon than on other grasscourts in the country. But still, even considering that, I'm a bit disappointed also.

As for the quality of courts, I must say I was also disappointed with the tournament in Halle this year. Queen's looked almost fantastic after a week, while Halle looked like a trampled down cowfield after the same time.

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 12:32 PM
I know what you mean by the best of 5 matches (but still, most tournaments courts look better after 8/9 days of play which is certainly more tennis than two days of 5 set play). Yeah queens was an example i was thinking of! same for eastbourne too, and also surbitons were good after one weeks play (the 3 tournaments i went to). I think we seem to have good quality courts here apart from wimbledon :tape:

switz
06-26-2005, 12:32 PM
my club in Sydney has about 15 grasscourts that are played on for all but a couple of weeks in the year. they claim they are the best in Australia - i don't really know what to measure it by but the main 8 or so and the one on centre court don't get worn out much at all. but of course during the weekdays not many people use them and it's mostly the older people. i like grass but i play more on the rebound ace courts and the clay.

we would have to be one of the only clubs in the world who have a stadium with grass and clay next to each other. there is rebound ace under the clay from the Adidas International was played there though.

My club is White City btw.

What the question again :lol:

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 12:33 PM
they're way slower than Nottingham's. I mean, why are they trying to get so many long ralies on grass slowing it down on Wimby :sad:
Havent been to wimbledon fonsie, but what are the quality of courts there like? wear away easily?

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 12:36 PM
I am not sure about this at wimbledon, but at places like eastbourne/surbiton the match courts are avaliable for club members to play on before the tournament i think as well :D

Raquel
06-26-2005, 01:36 PM
I think they wear more round the baseline than normal because there's not as much serve and volley as there used to be. A lot of players say the courts at Queens are better than Wimbledon. I don't think Wimbledon's courts are bad though - you don't see too many bad bounces as you used to. I would say Halle's centre court is of worse condition. I saw that court on TV during highlights of Roger's quarter final and it looked a total mess and that was just the 5th day.

Melvins
06-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Queen's has the best grass of the world (tournaments that I know).

But if we see some old match of Wimbledon (for example Bjorn Borg) the grass was so bad. Maybe because game style, in the past players play around the court and in the present players play in the baseline and a little in the net.

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Halle :tape:
Queens :yeah: :yeah:

blosson
06-26-2005, 06:54 PM
I am not sure about this at wimbledon, but at places like eastbourne/surbiton the match courts are avaliable for club members to play on before the tournament i think as well :D

I don't think the centre court and court one are open to the club members to train. Only the outside ones are.

I think Sampras has sweat soooo much during the 7 years he has won the tournament, the grass don't even grow there anymore.... :p