Comeback Nalby....defeats Murray 6-7 (4), 1-6, 6-0, 6-4, 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Comeback Nalby....defeats Murray 6-7 (4), 1-6, 6-0, 6-4, 6-1

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Impressive, huh? :cool:

joeb_uk
06-25-2005, 07:45 PM
David :yeah: Great Job (throughout the match it killed me to watch david serve, he has such an awful serve though, its a liability to be honest :( ).

whosnext
06-25-2005, 07:47 PM
good win by Nalbandian , but Andy had chances in the fourth. Pretty odd scoreline.

Clara Bow
06-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Great win by David- of course as a big fan of him I am beyond thrilled.

But this match also made me more a fan of Murray- much like the Rafa/Federer match solidified my like of Nadal.

Can't get over the depth of talent of young men in tennis right now. Really a great time.

joeb_uk
06-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Great win by David- of course of a big fan of him I am beyond thrilled.

But this match also made me more a fan of Murray- much like the Rafa/Federer match solidified my like of Nadal.

Can't get over the depth of talent of young men in tennis right now. Really a great time.
More of a fan of murray? please explain what made you feel like this?

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 07:50 PM
good win by Nalbandian , but Andy had chances in the fourth. Pretty odd scoreline.

Yeah...Murray had a break point on David's serve in the ninth game and could've served for the match if he broke.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
Andy:cry: A NEW STAR IS BORN!!!! I HOPE HE GET'S LOT WC'S!!!!!!! Gstaad.....?

justClaudia
:banana: :banana: :banana: :woohoo: :woohoo:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
06-25-2005, 07:51 PM

Don't you like him?

oneandonlyhsn

I have been really impressed by Murray, he handles the British pressure so well, doesnt look intimidated by his opponents, and he has a great game. Today maybe a little bit considering he really admires Nalbandian as a player. The only thing wrong is that he stopped training in Barcelona so I am worried about his progress now.

silverwhite
Great fighting, David! :worship:

Impressive match from Murray. :)

Castafiore
06-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Nalbandian's come back is impressive: he had to play against a partisan crowd and a young player without fear.

Murray needs to work on his fitness level but he showed some great courage.

The future is looking bright for tennis: Nadal, Gasquet, Murray, Monfils,... :cool:
Great generation coming up!

the cat
06-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Good for Nalbandian. He's had a tough year or so on and off the court so making the second week of Wimbledon is what he needs and deserves at this time.

I'm also impressed with young Andrew Murray. I think he's a possible top 10 player someday.

janks
06-25-2005, 07:55 PM
yeah right...murray and monfils...
how many WC's can one get!?

Clara Bow
06-25-2005, 07:56 PM

Simple- exposure...I have not been able to see (or in this case hear) much of Murray until Wimbledon. I was able to see a bit of his match with Radek and was impressed with his talent and mental toughlness as he did not let the occasion get to his head. And he made some nice shots.

I saw a bit but heard most of the David/Andy match today and it sound like he has some great shots and is not skittish- which I like.

I also saw him in an interview with Chris Fowler from ESPN after his 2nd round win and he came off as a decent fellow.

joeb_uk
06-25-2005, 07:57 PM
The thing is, murray says hes a claycourt player (but is he actually any good on clay? or is he just a claycourt wannabe?). Its just his recent results have been crap on clay, lost in the rg juniors, first round of barcelona. But his grass court results are a different story :shrug: one thing i couldnt imagine is how murray could handle a match on clay when he can barely manage to last 3 sets on grass :shrug: Doesnt help considering how weak his frame is either.

jazz_girl
06-25-2005, 07:59 PM
I gotta say, I though he was gonna lose in stright sets because he was playing like crap and his serve didn't work at all! However he managed his nerves, he started thinking in a more estrategical (sp????) match and turned it over for the first time after being 2 sets down :worship: I'm sooooo happy about it, because he's got such a shitty year, that he needed this!
As for Murray, I'm really impressed, his forehand is amazing and I really liked how he managed the crowd pressure :yeah: I'm sure we'll be hearing LOTs from him.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
06-25-2005, 08:00 PM
He need's to learn to play 3-4h's each match cause it's not the same level as the j. there they "only" play 1-2h's.....
I think he could do well at the USO cause he has a great serve and can volley too,....

But the slice on clay:confused: don't think he's great on it...?

joeb_uk
06-25-2005, 08:00 PM
I gotta say, I though he was gonna lose in stright sets because he was playing like crap and his serve didn't work at all! However he managed his nerves, he started thinking in a more estrategical (sp????) match and turned it over for the first time after being 2 sets down :worship: I'm sooooo happy about it, because he's got such a shitty year, that he needed this!
As for Murray, I'm really impressed, his forehand is amazing and I really liked how he managed the crowd pressure :yeah: I'm sure we'll be hearing LOTs from him.
Murray is quite a good returner too, so david was just getting no points or any advantage off his serve (it was just getting him in trouble).

marcelwks
06-25-2005, 08:02 PM
first match won by David from 0-2 in sets ?

disturb3d
06-25-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm sick of British players, mainly this Murray kid.
They're a bunch of stuck-up snobs with no manners.
Not once in the match did Murray show Nalbandian the respect he deserved.
Constantly swearing in between points, and giving little effort in the last 3 sets.

World Beater
06-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Er, Nalbandian better see a psychologist. His play during the first two sets was positively icky, and if it wasnt for murray's cramping, he would have lost.

Castafiore
06-25-2005, 08:05 PM
first match won by David from 0-2 in sets ?
Yes!

joeb_uk
06-25-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm sick of British players, mainly this Murray kid.
They're a bunch of stuck-up snobs with no manners.
Constantly swearing in between points, and giving little effort in the last 3 sets.
Thats why alot of people dont like him, i think his tank in the 3rd set was disgusting to be honest. They said he gave 100% throughout the match, thats bollox.

Jim Jones
06-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Don't forget Djokovic. He is as old as Murray and Wimbledon is the 3rd major he successfully qualifyed for. He has won challengers. He will be in the top 100 after Wimbledon ends. As for Murray great for him. I think he will get a WC for U.S. Open since Blake got one for Wimbledon.

Corey Feldman
06-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Andy tired far too much after going 2 sets up, Nalbi took full advantage of it.. so well done him.

DDrago2
06-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Wow, a great and a weird match. I am so glad Nalbandian pulled it off, because he played a bad match realy.

And as for Murray... he played realy well most of the time, lost strength at the end... But I don't like him. He is playing in a way "I have nothing to loose" and has no respect even for himself, not to speak for oponent. I think that even Nadal is a bit like this...

I think that Djokovic (good luck!) and Gasquet are more serious players and will be more able to play when they are not viewed as kids anymore.

star
06-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Too bad for Murray. It would have been great to see him come through.

Hopefully this effort has worn Nalbandian down to a little nubbin.

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 08:33 PM

Ya think?

joeb_uk
06-25-2005, 08:42 PM

Well murray collapsed in the 3,4,5th set so i shouldnt think so. It was a mopping up job after the second set.

gooner88
06-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Nalbo's matches always have drama and excitement, no matter who he plays.
He put all of us fans through hell today but still won!
In all honesty he struggled, but he grinded out a great win. This must give him enormous confidence for the challenges that lie ahead. Credit to Murray for pushing Nalbo all the way, but if he wants to make it to the top he needs to work on his fitness bigtime.
Nalbo must play much much better if he is to beat Gasquet. All I know is that he cannot play any worse than he did today.

star
06-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Ya think?

Hope springs eternal. :)

Fedex
06-25-2005, 08:54 PM
:woohoo:

jazz_girl
06-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Nalbo's matches always have drama and excitement, no matter who he plays.
He put all of us fans through hell today but still won!
In all honesty he struggled, but he grinded out a great win. This must give him enormous confidence for the challenges that lie ahead. Credit to Murray for pushing Nalbo all the way, but if he wants to make it to the top he needs to work on his fitness bigtime.
Nalbo must play much much better if he is to beat Gasquet. All I know is that he cannot play any worse than he did today.
Absolutly :yeah:

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Hope springs eternal. :)

Apparently, you're worried. Why? If his winning didn't worry you so much, then you shouldn't be in this thread. End of bitch.

Castafiore
06-25-2005, 08:58 PM
And as for Murray... he played realy well most of the time, lost strength at the end... But I don't like him. He is playing in a way "I have nothing to loose" and has no respect even for himself, not to speak for oponent. I think that even Nadal is a bit like this...

Why do you think that Murray has no respect for his opponent?
Because he showed no fear during the match? Why should he?
Nalbandian is one of Murray's heroes (or so I hear) and he showed his respect for him during the interviews. On the court however, he was playing opposite an experienced player and it's important to show that you're mentally tough.
In a way, he had nothing to loose. So what's wrong with that attitude at this early stage of his career?

Nadal usually shows a lot of respect for his opponents during interviews and he never celebrates the mistakes of his opponents. He celebrates his own important points. Once he gets on the court, he shows no fear. That's also what a young Becker did: he was intimidating to his opponents on a grass court even at a young age, just like Nadal is intimidating on a clay court even at his young age.

I think that this is a great attitude to have.

ugotlobbed
06-25-2005, 09:00 PM
did espn or nbc show this....i am really mad their showing damn serena ...fat screaming lard

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:04 PM
did espn or nbc show this....i am really mad their showing damn serena ...fat screaming lard

:haha: :haha: They'll show it soon, don't worry.

superpinkone37
06-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Aw, I wanted to see Murray go even further.
But very impressive comeback by Nalbandian :yeah:

Sandra
06-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Poor Andy i wanna :crying2:

Neely
06-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Good comeback by David! I didn't have the feeling that he is going to come back when I saw him 0-2 sets down. Maybe it's a litte tournaround for him!

Also great performance by Murray, I think he did well this Wimbledon and bad for him of course that he collapsed so badly at the end and that he couldn't take his chances when he needed to. I enjoyed his run and could feel happy for him :yeah:

LOL, Nalbandian himself is not the best in showing respect to other players during his matches, so I wouldn't blame Murray for not doing so :lol: :p

jazz_girl
06-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Why do you think that Murray has no respect for his opponent?
Because he showed no fear during the match? Why should he?
Nalbandian is one of Murray's heroes (or so I hear) and he showed his respect for him during the interviews. On the court however, he was playing opposite an experienced player and it's important to show that you're mentally tough.
In a way, he had nothing to loose. So what's wrong with that attitude at this early stage of his career?

Nadal usually shows a lot of respect for his opponents during interviews and he never celebrates the mistakes of his opponents. He celebrates his own important points. Once he gets on the court, he shows no fear. That's also what a young Becker did: he was intimidating to his opponents on a grass court even at a young age, just like Nadal is intimidating on a clay court even at his young age.

I think that this is a great attitude to have.
I agree, I don't understand why you're saying that he didn't show any respect at all...It's the first match I see from Murray and I think he did well handling the crowd's pressure and I sort of liked him...

Swider
06-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Interesting, calling this win by David a comeback. Partly yes, but...

He played crap in the first two sets. And although Murray was nervous at the beginning, he couldn't take an advantage of that. After 2 hours Andrew beginned to fail and David started to take advantage of that. But he didn't stop commiting ue. Few centimetres and there was Murray serving for a match. Luck or class - call it what you want.

He showed his best play when his opponent couldn't run. That wasn't a great win for him for sure.

Funny, he lost a match that couldn't be lost at US Open (SF with Roddick) - now he is just in an opposite situation.

*Ljubica*
06-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Just got home from Centre Court - what an amazing match - thanks to David for making me so happy :hug: Great match - great comeback - and good fight by Murray. He will be a great player in the future - though I don't like his attitude - far too "in your face for me". David handled the crowd and the pressure well after his very nervous start - you're a star David :yeah:

Sigma - don't worry about the haters - just enjoy the moment ;)

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Hey, Rosie. We'll probably get the taped version after they finish Miss FashionFreak's match.

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Sigma - don't worry about the haters - just enjoy the moment ;)

Oh, I'm not worried. I just love f*cking with people. You know that!!

Raquel
06-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Thats why alot of people dont like him, i think his tank in the 3rd set was disgusting to be honest. They said he gave 100% throughout the match, thats bollox.
A lot of people don't like him? I thought he was quite popular. At Wimbledon at least anyway.

Anyway Andy has done really well here considering he's ranked in the 300s. Beating a top 20 player and being 5 points from beating another. Needs to work on his fitness and conditioning though. Shame he got so tired but David played smart and made him run. Good luck David in round 4.

disturb3d
06-25-2005, 09:29 PM
LOL, Nalbandian himself is not the best in showing respect to other players during his matches, so I wouldn't blame Murray for not doing so :lol: :pAre you kidding me?
Nalbandian takes out his frustration on himself/his raquet.
Not once have I seen him be disrespectful to the opposing player.

Murray, Hewitt, Roddick on the other hand, are arrogant pricks.

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Are you kidding me?

Don't worry about it; there are certain posters who have axes to grind and can't find a single nice thing to say about anybody, regardless of their own personal feelings. Please pay it no mind; some people are on this thread to see their writing in print.

Raquel
06-25-2005, 09:33 PM

He has said in interviews he respects David a lot and that David is one of his favourite players. What did you want Andy to do during the match? Tell David he hit great shots?

*Ljubica*
06-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Are you kidding me?

And on the subject of disrespect - I understand how proud and happy she must be for her son. but someone should tell Andy's Mother that it's tacky and disrespectful to leap about in the Players' Box celebrating mistakes made by her son's opponents. Cheering on your player is great, but cheering an opponent's double faults is classless from anyone - and from a players' family member sharing a Box with the opponent's family and friends it is unforgiveable. :devil: How I didn't slap her I will never know :devil:

Raquel
Are you kidding me?

Well I am a fan of David and I hope he wins in the fourth round but there was an incident in Halle where he was certainly disrespectful and he didn't take it out on his racquet, he showed bad sportmanship apparently. He acted like a real brat by all accounts by stalling his opponent and ended up being penalised two games for going beyond normal bad behvaiour.

Neely
Are you kidding me?

well, the way he behaved against Schüttler was pretty disrespectful, not only against Schüttler, against all people who actually stayed there to watch a tennis match instead of 10 minute tirades of Nalbandian... it was beyond laughable to say the least and put everything in the shadaw I've seen for long time

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:38 PM
well, the way he behaved against Schüttler was pretty disrespectful

So, you're gonna use that one incident as basis for your argument. I agree, that was tacky and tasteless on his part, but please try to establish a pattern here and not use a one-time event to construct your whole argument around.

joeb_uk
06-25-2005, 09:39 PM
A lot of people don't like him? I thought he was quite popular. At Wimbledon at least anyway.

Anyway Andy has done really well here considering he's ranked in the 300s. Beating a top 20 player and being 5 points from beating another. Needs to work on his fitness and conditioning though. Shame he got so tired but David played smart and made him run. Good luck David in round 4.
That place is full of brit bummers who like players purely from where they are from, i dont understand it myself. Support a player because of their personality or game, but too many of them are sheep who support someone only for their nationality :lol:

disturb3d
06-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Well I am a fan of David and I hope he wins in the fourth round but there was an incident in Halle where he was certainly disrespectful and he didn't take it out on his racquet, he showed bad sportmanship apparently. He acted like a real brat by all accounts by stalling his opponent and ended up being penalised two games for going beyond normal bad behvaiour.I never got to see this match.
But atleast he took the penalties like a man.

Neely
06-25-2005, 09:40 PM
and not use a one-time event to construct your whole argument around.
but using a one-time event -as you call it- against Murray is okay to say he is disrespectful?

I myself didn't see something bad of Murray so far.

Raquel
06-25-2005, 09:42 PM
That place is full of brit bummers who like players purely from where they are from, i dont understand it myself. Support a player because of their personality or game, but too many of them are sheep who support someone only for their nationality :lol:
I think every country supports players from the same country when the event is in the country. Hewitt get support at the Australian, Roddick gets support at the US Open, the Brits get supports at Wimbledon. What's so hard to understand?

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:43 PM
but using a one-time event -as you call it- against Murray is okay to say he is disrespectful?

I myself didn't see something bad of Murray so far.

I wasn't the one who said Murray was being disrespectful. Just to clear up any misunderstandings, Neely, I don't think Murray was being disrespectful anymore than I think Nadal was being "disrespectful". In fact, I don't think the "respect" factor no longer matters when the first ball is struck. If "respect" was supposed to mean "I'll go ahead and tank this match so you can get through because you're my favorite", then you and everyone else are sadly mistaken.

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:44 PM
I never got to see this match.

I know. And what was the bitchfest with Roddick yesterday? I hardly call "bookgate" a show of respect on his part.

Raquel
06-25-2005, 09:44 PM
He had no choice but to be penalised.

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:45 PM
He had no choice but to be penalised.

Of course, what were they gonna do, smack him with a ruler and tell him to be a good little boy?

KoOlMaNsEaN
06-25-2005, 09:46 PM
the injuries continue for andy :mad:

Neely
06-25-2005, 09:47 PM
I wasn't the one who said Murray was being disrespectful. Just to clear up any misunderstandings, Neely, I don't think Murray was being disrespectful anymore than I think Nadal was being "disrespectful". In fact, I don't think the "respect" factor no longer matters when the first ball is struck. If "respect" was supposed to mean "I'll go ahead and tank this match so you can get through because you're my favorite", then you and everyone else are sadly mistaken.
Sure, that's fair enough. I know you didn't say that Murry was disrespectful and I also didn't mean to address you. It was you who interfered when I replied to distrub3d that I think he's a bit wrong in his judgement about Murray, to say the least, and at the same time presuming that Nalbandian is the complete angel and all the others a total pricks.

jazz_girl
06-25-2005, 09:48 PM
And on the subject of disrespect - I understand how proud and happy she must be for her son. but someone should tell Andy's Mother that it's tacky and disrespectful to leap about in the Players' Box celebrating mistakes made by her son's opponents. Cheering on your player is great, but cheering an opponent's double faults is classless from anyone - and from a players' family member sharing a Box with the opponent's family and friends it is unforgiveable. :devil: How I didn't slap her I will never know :devil:
:haha: Because you're a lady Rosie, that's why :)

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Sure, that's fair enough. I know you didn't say that Murry was disrespectful and I also didn't mean to address you. It was you who interfered when I replied to distrub3d that I think he's a bit wrong in his judgement about Murray, to say the least, and at the same time presuming that Nalbandian is the complete angel and all the others a total pricks.

Now you know our favorites have behaved in less than admirable ways sometimes, so that should surprise no one. I'm not asking you to defend the behaviors of your favorites because that's not your obligation as a fan, so don't expect anyone else to do the same.

Corey Feldman
Pffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttt ttttttttttttttt

nermo
that was Absolutely Dramatic !!....David, good fight,..
i started watching from the second set, and honestly i never thought he would come back, he was just out of control..paniced..and totally out of conentration.. even, in the 3 rd and fourth set , though , finally he started to use his brains,but David made some stupid unforced errors..especially with his serve , it amazed me..how had he fought for difficult winners and then made some silly mistakes right after them, that drove me.. :mad: :banghead: ..any way he got his life saved today..

As for Murray.. credits for him for his confidence,he's got a good forehand, still has to work with lots of things( physically, mentally and ethically )..but i guess ,someday he 'll be able to get what Henman failed to achieve..

disturb3d
06-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Sure, that's fair enough. I know you didn't say that Murry was disrespectful and I also didn't mean to address you. It was you who interfered when I replied to distrub3d that I think he's a bit wrong in his judgement about Murray, to say the least, and at the same time presuming that Nalbandian is the complete angel and all the others a total pricks.No... Nalby has his problems, but my primary statement of British players being stuck-up snobs still stands.

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:50 PM

Forget about being a lady; I would have bitch-slapped her. :devil:

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Pffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttt ttttttttttttttt

Honey, what was that for?

Corey Feldman
06-25-2005, 09:53 PM
but my primary statement of British players being stuck-up snobs still stands.Murray was brought up in a school in scotland where 16 children were massacred one day in 1996, he survived it... there's nothing snobby about his upbringing .

jazz_girl
06-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Forget about being a lady; I would have bitch-slapped her. :devil:
:lol: I know :angel:

*Ljubica*
06-25-2005, 09:54 PM

:hug: Also because I didn't want to be evicted and miss the end of the match!!

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:54 PM
:lol: I know :angel:

:D

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:55 PM
:hug: Also because I didn't want to be evicted and miss the end of the match!!

I understand, but I'd watch it outside the gates on the jumbotron they have-unless of course, they kick you completely off the grounds. In that case, I'd kick and scream, guaranteeing myself a spot on ESPN.

Neely
06-25-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm not asking you to defend the behaviors of your favorites because that's not your obligation as a fan, so don't expect anyone else to do the same.
I didn't ask anyone to do so. I just had a problem with disturb3d's statement about Murray because I thought it's simply wrong what he said about Murray. Period.

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 09:57 PM
I didn't ask anyone to do so. I just had a problem with disturb3d's statement about Murray because I thought it's simply wrong what he said about Murray. Period.

While I don't agree with his/her opinion, he/she is entitled to it right or wrong.

Neely
06-25-2005, 09:59 PM
While I don't agree with his/her opinion, he/she is entitled to it right or wrong.
Sure, and so am I to share my view on it.

Jogy
06-25-2005, 10:19 PM
:haha: Murray disrespectful to Nalbandian?! :haha: I did not see that, but it would be good to hear. There are five or six players who deserves every bit of that and Nalbandian jerk is for long time among them.

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 10:20 PM
:haha: Murray disrespectful to Nalbandian?! :haha: I did not see that, but it would be good to hear. There are five or six players who deserves every bit of that and Nalbandian jerk is for long time among them.

You need Reading 101, don't you?

alexito
06-25-2005, 10:46 PM
comeback? nalbandian no win, murray lost for problem physical. murray have 18 years old, no experience, first gran slam, court central, for me, murray is the future with nadal and gasquet.

Jogy
06-25-2005, 10:48 PM
comeback? nalbandian no win, murray lost for problem physical. murray have 18 years old, no experience, first gran slam, court central, for me, murray is the future with nadal and gasquet.
haha, Murray is nothing to Nadal and Gasquet

but bad that he does not have won today against Nalbandian

ClaycourtaZzZz.
06-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Jogy, we'll see! and don't tell me then I didn't told you..! He'll be nr.1 soon for sure!

RickDaStick
06-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Nice Job Daveeed, way to take out the young arrogant prick.

Daniel
06-25-2005, 11:04 PM
DAvid, :yeah:

revolution
06-25-2005, 11:06 PM
Gutted. :sad:

After being so close Andy just couldn't quite pull it off and he gave so much effort there, I think we all have to show pride in him. Well played David as well.

There's a whole load of potential there, and he will definitely go a long, long way. My only question is his fitness.

No Brits left, but a tasty looking last 16.

Federer-Ferrero (vamos JC!)
Gonzalez-Youzhny (go Fernando!) :)
Hewitt-Dent (Taylor knock out that w*nker, and I'll add you to my signature!)
Ancic-Lopez
Mirnyi-T Johansson
Nalbandian-Gasquet
Tursunov-Grosjean
Coria-Roddick

Can't wait.

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 11:07 PM

And that's supposed to be the official excuse? Yeah, right. Tell me another, Bizarro.

haha, Murray is nothing to Nadal and Gasquet

but bad that he does not have won today against Nalbandian

Ok...make yourself clear too, Bizarro II.

Denaon
06-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Nice Job Daveeed, way to take out the young arrogant prick.
:yeah:
I'm sorry to say this but I didn't like Murray's attitude either, and how about Wimbly's crowd???? Cheering each error by David? :eek:
:lol: Thanks David for the comeback :yeah:

Sjengster
06-25-2005, 11:21 PM
They didn't cheer every error, and they also applauded a lot of Nalbandian's good shots, however reluctantly. I can't blame them for being excited at the prospect of a young British player reaching the second week of Wimbledon at last.

No excuses, Murray was nowhere near fit enough. You cannot start feeling fatigued after little more than 90 minutes of grass-court tennis; the way he donated the third set to Nalbandian gave Big Dave the confidence to come back and win in five, even though he was still playing poorly for much of the fourth set and almost let it slip. Murray had some bad luck with the calls, but the one that was corrected at 4-4 in the fourth was definitely in, and he only has himself to blame for failing to even make the return on his other breakpoint chances. I'm reserving judgement on Murray's attitude until he actually manages to crack the Top 100, but I have a hunch that a slightly more restrained demeanour would use up less nervous energy and give him more reserves deeper into a match.

I don't mind a Nalby victory, but I'm disappointed that he did it courtesy of a tiring opponent, and it is something of an irony that it was Nalbandian who won the match because of superior conditioning, given his fitness problems over the years. He'd lost his last five five-setters, including his last three Grand Slam defeats, and the last five-set match he won was right here against Kucera two years ago. In fact, he's now 4-0 in five-setters at Wimbledon... and of course he has come back from two sets down for the first time. Good luck to him against Gasquet, both are great stylists and I hope the winner of that match can make it through to the semis (well, the final would be nice too).

Jennay
06-25-2005, 11:23 PM
:woohoo: :yeah:

Jogy
06-25-2005, 11:26 PM
Ok...make yourself clear too, Bizarro II.
ooooh poor Sigmagirl, don't be angry to me because I dislike Nalbandian, things like this happening :haha:

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 11:27 PM
ooooh poor Sigmagirl, don't be mad at me because I dislike Nalbandian :haha:

I don't care about that; never have. It's just that you haven't said shit that matters yet. Please read, Jogy. It's fundamental.

bad gambler
06-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Really impressive stuff by the young SCOTSMAN, hadnt seen him play before this. Obviously he is young but fitness is something he can easily rectify. Not bad for someone who was suppose to be only good on the clay.

Definitely someone to look out for the future.

Jogy
06-25-2005, 11:29 PM
I don't care about that; never have. It's just that you haven't said shit that matters yet. Please read, Jogy. It's fundamental.
I can read. And that doesn't change when I'm saying I don't take care about Murray being disreptful to Nalbandian because he simply would deserve it.

jazz_girl
06-25-2005, 11:30 PM
They didn't cheer every error, and they also applauded a lot of Nalbandian's good shots, however reluctantly. I can't blame them for being excited at the prospect of a young British player reaching the second week of Wimbledon at last.

No excuses, Murray was nowhere near fit enough. You cannot start feeling fatigued after little more than 90 minutes of grass-court tennis; the way he donated the third set to Nalbandian gave Big Dave the confidence to come back and win in five, even though he was still playing poorly for much of the fourth set and almost let it slip. Murray had some bad luck with the calls, but the one that was corrected at 4-4 in the fourth was definitely in, and he only has himself to blame for failing to even make the return on his other breakpoint chances. I'm reserving judgement on Murray's attitude until he actually manages to crack the Top 100, but I have a hunch that a slightly more restrained demeanour would use up less nervous energy and give him more reserves deeper into a match.

I don't mind a Nalby victory, but I'm disappointed that he did it courtesy of a tiring opponent, and it is something of an irony that it was Nalbandian who won the match because of superior conditioning, given his fitness problems over the years. He'd lost his last five five-setters, including his last three Grand Slam defeats, and the last five-set match he won was right here against Kucera two years ago. In fact, he's now 4-0 in five-setters at Wimbledon... and of course he has come back from two sets down for the first time. Good luck to him against Gasquet, both are great stylists and I hope the winner of that match can make it through to the semis (well, the final would be nice too).
I have one correction to make, he won a five setter this year in the AO against Ferrer ;)

gooner88
06-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Great post Sjengster. Agree 100% with what you said. I hope Nalbo can improve his level of play alot against Gasquet because he has the tools to do it.
But you made 1 error in your report. The last 5 set match Nalbo won before today was against Ferrer in the Aussie Open this year.

Jogy
06-25-2005, 11:32 PM
Jogy, we'll see! and don't tell me then I didn't told you..! He'll be nr.1 soon for sure!
I hope you are right. Every new number 1 would be good at moment. I just don't see that he is SO GOOD. Good in future yes, but not good for top 10 I think.

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 11:32 PM
I can read. And that doesn't change when I'm saying I don't take care about Murray being disreptful to Nalbandian because he simply would deserve it.

You still don't make sense. It's already been discussed. You're a little slow on the uptake, BizII.

Havok
06-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Andy :sad: let that 2-0 sets lead completely slip. The first time I finally saw him here at Wimbledon I already became a fan, great groundies, nice fire/intensity on the court, shows emotion, impressive returns. Though his very slight body frame made me worried, and he's got to improve upon that and his fitness/conditioning because that's pretty much the main reason he lost today. Nice for Nalby to finally win a match being down 2-0 in sets.:o

Allez Gasquet now, take out Ninja Turtle.:D

Sjengster
06-25-2005, 11:35 PM
I have one correction to make, he won a five setter this year in the AO against Ferrer ;)

Oh, of course - I completely forgot that match, I didn't get to see it but it was a good win considering Ferrer is Nalby's major nemesis at the moment. OK, that win excepted, but overall he didn't have the greatest five-set record of recent times. ;)

NYCtennisfan
06-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Federer_Express

The number one in the UK or overall????????????

Jogy
Don't care for what you say, SigmaBi.

Fedex

Great post. :)

jazz_girl
06-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Oh, of course - I completely forgot that match, I didn't get to see it but it was a good win considering Ferrer is Nalby's major nemesis at the moment. OK, that win excepted, but overall he didn't have the greatest five-set record of recent times. ;)
According to the ESPN commentators his Win/Lost record in 5 setters is now 8/6 but I have to check it....

sigmagirl91
06-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Don't care for what you say, SigmaBi.

If you're gonna call me a name, you need to do better than that. SigmaBi is :haha: to me. Try something else.

Jogy
06-25-2005, 11:39 PM
If you're gonna call me a name, you need to do better than that. SigmaBi is :haha: to me. Try something else.
oh, it's fine, like your name for me :)

gooner88
06-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Nalbo's last 3 slam losses have come in 5 setters. Add the Basel final last year into the equation. It's totally right to say that Nalbo's current 5 set record is below par, which made today's win all the more important.

heya
06-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Dahveed took a long break to regroup. Ironic.
Murray choked badly...that's the only way the 18-year-old could lose.

Castafiore
06-25-2005, 11:52 PM
What amazed me is that Murray lost his energy after only two sets. Was he riding an adrenaline rush in Centre Court and going ahead with all guns blazing during those sets in front of his home crowd and did he forget about pacing himself?

Apparently, there was this big discussion about it on tv. Stich argued that Murray's fitness level is insufficient and he lost the match because of it. The others in the debate said this was not really fair because Murray is only 18 and it's not that good to do a lot of fitness at that age. Stich argued back that it was a fair comment and he won that argument by using one name: Nadal who is only a couple of months older.
Well, I don't know if that's fair. Nadal has a strong physical body by nature and on top of that he clearly works hard to get a good fitness level.
But, a better comparison is perhaps Gasquet. He's also a skinny guy by nature but he has more stamina (although I have no idea if he can hold his own in a 5 set match).
So, lesson learned for Murray: hit the gym and get a stronger body. You want to play with the big boys? Get a big boy body. :)

Also, Murray seemed to have tanked the third set on purpose. That's a dangerous tactic but it's effective sometimes. In this case, it was disastrous because it allowed Nalbandian to get into the match. You can only 'tank' a set if you're pretty sure that you've got enough energy left to start the next set with all guns blazing again. It didn't happen. Murray should have used the momentum and try to take the match in three sets.
(all very easy to say from my seat in front of the tv, of course)
Lendl used the 'tank a set' strategy sometimes, didn't he?

Neely
06-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Good point and I agree with it, we all should keep this in mind from time to time when we sound like great analysts although hardly none of use could have made it better what we use to critisize :yeah: :)

Castafiore
06-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Good point and I agree with it, we all should keep this in mind from time to time when we sound like great analysts although hardly none of use could have made it better what we use to critisize :yeah: :)
Yes, and learning how to pace a game to prepare for a possibly long match is something that you learn by experience and Murray does not have a lot of that.
Nalbandian has the experience and it showed.

Aleksa's Laydee
06-26-2005, 12:14 AM
:sobbing: Andy :hug: You put up an awesome fight. You have real potential and your a great character! Rest up now tho :sad:

Lourdes
06-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Good.

Ome
06-26-2005, 04:49 AM
Awesome.....
Way to go, David :bounce:

victoria_maraude
06-26-2005, 07:02 AM
Great job David!!!
You're the best! Come on! Get to the final like you did in 2002 ;)

Swider
06-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Also, Murray seemed to have tanked the third set on purpose. That's a dangerous tactic but it's effective sometimes. In this case, it was disastrous because it allowed Nalbandian to get into the match. You can only 'tank' a set if you're pretty sure that you've got enough energy left to start the next set with all guns blazing again. It didn't happen. Murray should have used the momentum and try to take the match in three sets.
Lendl used the 'tank a set' strategy sometimes, didn't he?

Being down 0-4 in a 3rd set it was quite possible he will not fight, as it was strictly connected with his first stamina crisis (really poor he's getting tired after 2 hours, regardless of what he's saying later). It helped David coming back to match a little, but still he was making a lot of unforced errors in 4th - he got himsekf broken, was losing 2-4 and gave Andrew some chances at 4-4. So I think it wasn't completly disastrous. It just didn't work.

Auscon
06-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Really glad to know Nalbandian made it through.....had he ever come back from 2sets-0 down before?

jazz_girl
06-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Really glad to know Nalbandian made it through.....had he ever come back from 2sets-0 down before?
No, it was his first time. The same goes for Coria :yeah:

garylanders
06-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Nalby! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Bilbo
06-26-2005, 02:46 PM
I think the Nalbster won because Murray ran out of gas. Lucky guy.

Gasquet will rip him a new one.

Experimentee
06-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Its the first time I've seen Murray and I wasnt impressed at all. He has no game, no weapons, and most of the time he was just junkballing Nalby and Nalby was making errors. He couldnt put away short balls most of the time and when he did play well was when he was on the defense, made a few good passing winners. Although I'd have to say most of the first two sets were about Nalby playing horrendously than Murray playing well. Even when he won the set 6-1 he was just hitting the ball in the middle waiting for Nalbandian to make errors. The crowd support helped him a lot in Britain and I dont think he will be doing well away from home.

It was his personality that annoyed me more than his game. Its great when players get pumped up and show emotion, but its just poor form to fist pump and incite the crowd to cheer the opponent's errors and lucky let cords. Its disgusting the way he tanked the 3rd set too. I wanted to cheer for Murray bc I dont like Nalbandian, but once I saw him that all changed, and for once I found myself cheering for Nalby, and thats saying something.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 03:17 PM
I enjoyed the match and as for Nalle losing the thought didn't cross my mind, even in the 4th set, but as for Murray I don't mind his game, but he was a right wanker to the ballkids and more than once that was the main thing I noticed about him. As for his fitness it can and will get better, though I think he needs to go back to Barcelona and work on that.

I am happy someone from Scotland has the potential to do something in the game, though there are certain aspects that need to go.

RogiFan88
06-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Wish I had seen this match... but happy for David anyway. Gasquet will not be easy but it s be an interesting matchup. Have they played before? Perhaps... w Nalby winning???

silverwhite
06-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Wish I had seen this match... but happy for David anyway. Gasquet will not be easy but it s be an interesting matchup. Have they played before? Perhaps... w Nalby winning???

David won both of their meetings on clay.

plum_juice10
06-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Andy :sad: such a good match...had me off my seat for most of it! I guess when he was up 2 sets to love, I thought there was a chance that he could get it! And then Nalbandian just kept coming back! Congratulations to him for also providing a great match to see...and wait till Murray comes back next year with a bit more muscle on him and everyone should better watch out!

Deivid23
06-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Don't forget Djokovic. He is as old as Murray and Wimbledon is the 3rd major he successfully qualifyed for. He has won challengers. He will be in the top 100 after Wimbledon ends. As for Murray great for him. I think he will get a WC for U.S. Open since Blake got one for Wimbledon.

Novak Djokovic is several classes above Murray

ClaycourtaZzZz.
06-26-2005, 05:53 PM
No, he's not...!!! He play's to much risk and Murray just put the ball save, look at his returns much better then djokovic's he has a game plan, novak just hits as hard as possible....... but he could be a top-10 player but Murray is better, he needs WC and learn to play long matches....!

Deivid23
06-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Its the first time I've seen Murray and I wasnt impressed at all. He has no game, no weapons, and most of the time he was just junkballing Nalby and Nalby was making errors. He couldnt put away short balls most of the time and when he did play well was when he was on the defense, made a few good passing winners. Although I'd have to say most of the first two sets were about Nalby playing horrendously than Murray playing well. Even when he won the set 6-1 he was just hitting the ball in the middle waiting for Nalbandian to make errors. The crowd support helped him a lot in Britain and I dont think he will be doing well away from home.

I agree with you, only that this was not the first time I saw Murray.

It was his personality that annoyed me more than his game. Its great when players get pumped up and show emotion, but its just poor form to fist pump and incite the crowd to cheer the opponent's errors and lucky let cords. Its disgusting the way he tanked the 3rd set too. I wanted to cheer for Murray bc I dont like Nalbandian, but once I saw him that all changed, and for once I found myself cheering for Nalby, and thats saying something.

I don´t like this kid´s attitude, he looks like an asshole sometimes.

Deivid23
06-26-2005, 05:56 PM
No, he's not...!!! He play's to much risk and Murray just put the ball save, look at his returns much better then djokovic's he has a game plan, novak just hits as hard as possible....... but he could be a top-10 player but Murray is better, he needs WC and learn to play long matches....!

Iīll take youīve never noticed how early Novak takes the ball on his returns and the depth he adds to them, simply brutal stuff, pure talent. Novak has everything to become a star, Murray doesnīt. Time will tell anyway

*Ljubica*
06-26-2005, 06:06 PM
I agree with Deivid and Experimentee about Murray - and I have said this here before - not just because of yesterday's match and the fact that he was playing my favourite player. I don't like his attitude at all - far too aggresive, and arrogant for one so young. Mind you - as I mentioned somewhere yesterday - it's not surprising he behaves like that when you watch the way his Mother carries on :devil: Andy's behaviour could be excused on the grounds of age, immaturity, over-exuberance or whatever, but I was sitting near to her yesterday and I was appalled by the way she jeered and cheered and jumped up and down - not just celebrating her son's good shots but openly enjoying all of David's errors. It was totally classless - especially when you consider that she was sitting right in front of David's Team who were far too polite to tell her to "sit down and shut up" as I wanted to :devil: Of course, she is proud of her son (and rightly so), and wants to encourage him - but I have never seen another player's parent, sibling or partner behave in such a disrespectful way to opponents - not even Richard Williams (who had somewhat of a bad reputation at one time). It made my mad :mad: And no wonder Andy is growing up like that with that kind of example at home. She should learn from Rafa's coach who, despite being a close family member, is quiet and respectful at all times and often claps and cheers opponent's good shots.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 06:08 PM
I donīt like this kid, heīs far far away from other young gunsī talent and he looks like an asshole sometimes.

The attitude is a bit much and unlike Djokovic, Murray will get WCs.

Experimentee
06-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Iīll take youīve never noticed how early Novak takes the ball on his returns and the depth he adds to them, simply brutal stuff, pure talent. Novak has everything to become a star, Murray doesnīt. Time will tell anyway

Its an insult to Novak to even compare him to Murray.

Aside from the fact that the disparity in talent is glaringly obviously just form watching them both play, ppl should look at Novak's results and ranking, they are the same age and Novak has done so much more. He has a chance to be a top player in the future, I dont see that in Murray.

*Ljubica*
06-26-2005, 06:20 PM

Aside from the fact that the disparity in talent is glaringly obviously just form watching them both play, ppl should look at Novak's results and ranking, they are the same age and Novak has done so much more. He has a chance to be a top player in the future, I dont see that in Murray.

I watched Novak for the first time at Wimbledon this year and I was very impressed with him - I agree he will go far :)

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 06:20 PM

Come on Novak isn't from one of the high profile nations you see and he has only qualified for 3 Slams in a row, that is just not good enough to get recognition.

disturb3d
06-26-2005, 06:34 PM
I agree with Deivid and Experimentee about Murray - and I have said this here before - not just because of yesterday's match and the fact that he was playing my favourite player. I don't like his attitude at all - far too aggresive, and arrogant for one so young. Mind you - as I mentioned somewhere yesterday - it's not surprising he behaves like that when you watch the way his Mother carries on :devil: Andy's behaviour could be excused on the grounds of age, immaturity, over-exuberance or whatever, but I was sitting near to her yesterday and I was appalled by the way she jeered and cheered and jumped up and down - not just celebrating her son's good shots but openly enjoying all of David's errors. It was totally classless - especially when you consider that she was sitting right in front of David's Team who were far too polite to tell her to "sit down and shut up" as I wanted to :devil: Of course, she is proud of her son (and rightly so), and wants to encourage him - but I have never seen another player's parent, sibling or partner behave in such a disrespectful way to opponents - not even Richard Williams (who had somewhat of a bad reputation at one time). It made my mad :mad: And no wonder Andy is growing up like that with that kind of example at home. She should learn from Rafa's coach who, despite being a close family member, is quiet and respectful at all times and often claps and cheers opponent's good shots.It has to be said; The Argentine have a hell of a lot more manners than the British.

Raquel
06-26-2005, 06:37 PM
It has to be said; The Argentine have a hell of a lot more manners than the British.
Fucking well said :D

I saw David's coach raise his hands and pump his fists after Andy made a few errors on key points after some long rallies but I don't see anything wrong with that. They just want their player to win. As for Judy Murray, I think she was just so excited to see her son play on Centre Court at Wimbledon and push one of the best players on the tour. I would say cheering David's errors was more out of relief than badness especially after some of the tenser points.

*Ljubica*
06-26-2005, 06:39 PM
It has to be said; The Argentine have a hell of a lot more manners than the British.

On yesterday's showing I wouldn't disagree with you! I was quite ashamed of the half-British part of me yesterday, though it's at times like these when I'm happy to point out that the Murrays and Sean Connery are SCOTTISH and not English :haha: Ooops - sorry Escude - you know I love you really and you also know I spent quite a few years of my life living in Scotland :hug: There are rude unpleasant people all over the world sadly - no country has the monopoly on that!

*Ljubica*
06-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Fucking well said :D

I saw David's coach raise his hands and pump his fists after Andy made a few errors on key points after some long rallies but I don't see anything wrong with that. They just want their player to win. As for Judy Murray, I think she was just so excited to see her son play on Centre Court at Wimbledon and push one of the best players on the tour. I would say cheering David's errors was more out of relief than badness especially after some of the tenser points.

That wasn't David's coach - I've just watched a video of the match and the TV hardly ever showed him at all. The guy they kept on showing was a friend who works as an occasional Fitness Trainer with David - and in my opinion there is a hell of a lot of difference between cheering a long rally where your player has forced an opponent into an error, rather than cheering a double fault! Just my opinion anyway.

gooner88
06-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Who were the people in Nalbo's corner yesterday?
I know Infantino was furthest on the right, but who were the other two?

vincayou
06-26-2005, 06:53 PM
The attitude is a bit much and unlike Djokovic, Murray will get WCs.

The difference is that Djokovic won't probably need WCs anymore now. He's in the top 100 with his results here, he can straightly enter many events but master series.

Murray is in the 200th and won't get many WC anyway because UK doesn't have that many tournament. The buzz around his name might get him some abroad though.

I think that it's better for young players anyway to play challengers and learn to win several matchs in a row. In addition, it can be more profitable points wise.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 06:54 PM

Motivators and supporters.

*Ljubica*
06-26-2005, 06:55 PM

Luis Barrienuevo (new Fitness Trainer), in the white jacket and Mariano (friend and occasional Fitness Trainer) and sorry I don't know his surname, in the tasteful orange!!

vincayou
06-26-2005, 06:56 PM
I so wanted Murray to win so that Richard can get center court, big atmosphere, and a massive number of brittish articles with his name in it (it would probably have been just to mention who was the next opponent of Murray but still).

sigmagirl91
Luis Barrienuevo (new Fitness Trainer), in the white jacket and Mariano (friend and occasional Fitness Trainer) and sorry I don't know his surname, in the tasteful orange!!

Mariano :inlove:

gooner88

Thanks Rosie. :)

*Ljubica*
06-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Mariano :inlove:

Yes Sigma - your one and only favourite man ;) Still think he's scared of you though -LOL!!!!

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 07:00 PM
That orange outfit was brilliant.

disturb3d
06-26-2005, 07:00 PM
I so wanted Murray to win so that Richard can get center court, big atmosphere, and a massive number of brittish articles with his name in it (it would probably have been just to mention who was the next opponent of Murray but still).The only match with more prestigue than Nalbandian/Gasquet is that of Federer/Ferrero.

In other words, there's no reason for Gasquet not to be on center-court.

Raquel
06-26-2005, 07:02 PM
The only match with more prestigue than Nalbandian/Gasquet is that of Federer/Ferrero.

In other words, there's no reason for Gasquet not to be on center-court.
He's not. Lleyton v Dent and Federer v Ferrero is. Lleyton's a former champion and 3rd seed so it's not a surprise. Roddick v Coria would get on Centre before Nalbandian v Gasquet as well, I would think.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 07:04 PM
Nalbandian won't be on centre court for the next match.

sigmagirl91
Yes Sigma - your one and only favourite man ;) Still think he's scared of you though -LOL!!!!

Moi? Scared of moi? Why, I won't hurt him-not badly anyway. :devil:

sigmagirl91
Nalbandian won't be on centre court for the next match.

I know.

*Ljubica*
06-26-2005, 07:05 PM
That orange outfit was brilliant.

It was hideous :devil: He wore it at Stoke Park too - meant someone even with my bad eyesight couldn't miss him!!!

sigmagirl91
06-26-2005, 07:05 PM
It was hideous :devil: He wore it at Stoke Park too - meant someone even with my bad eyesight couldn't miss him!!!

I hate orange shitty messes.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 07:14 PM

He is comfortable with who he is.

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Time to step your game up david! that pathetic serving display against haggis will not cut it against gasquet. Gasquet is many classes above haggis and if he plays like he did against him, he is gonna lose quite easily i think :sad:

*Ljubica*
06-26-2005, 07:17 PM
He is comfortable with who he is.

Yes - he is also gorgeous so he can even get away witb the orange ;)

disturb3d
06-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Time to step your game up david! that pathetic serving display against haggis will not cut it against gasquet. Gasquet is many classes above haggis and if he plays like he did against him, he is gonna lose quite easily i think :sad:Something tells me Gasquet will choke against Nalbandian.

*Ljubica*
06-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Something tells me Gasquet will choke against Nalbandian.

Gasquet choked big time when I last saw the two of them play - but that was at Roland Garros in 2004 when Gasquet was feeling the pressure of being the "home" favourite. Much as I want David to win, I think he'll find it hard against Gasquet tomorrow - especially after the tension and excitement of yesterday.Gasquet is proving to be a very good grass court player and I think he will win in 4 :sad:

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Yes - he is also gorgeous so he can even get away witb the orange ;)

I'd say confident, but the ladies would say gorgeous, though not many Argentines in the world with an inferiority complex.

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 07:24 PM
hmmm i think david is more of a choker than gasquet to be honest

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 07:28 PM
hmmm i think david is more of a choker than gasquet to be honest

I have faith in Nalbandian in this match.

disturb3d
06-26-2005, 07:29 PM
hmmm i think david is more of a choker than gasquet to be honestYeah, his combination of bad luck/choking, makes him difficult to watch.

But I doubt he'll have any problems against Gasquet, mentally.

*Ljubica*
06-26-2005, 07:31 PM

Wish I had - though I doubt it can be as tense as yesterday's joyful encounter :)

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Wish I had - though I doubt it can be as tense as yesterday's joyful encounter :)
At least if he loses, it isnt to a wanker :lol:

I would like nalbandian to win of course, but i like gasquet too!

*Ljubica*
06-26-2005, 07:37 PM

And I trust his Mother won't be so damned irritating :devil:

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 07:41 PM
God, she is way over the fucking top (if my mum behaved like that at one of my football matches i would tell my dad to drag her off the pitch and lock her in the car). There is a difference between passionate and damn right annoying, she was behaving like a monkey (i called murrays box the monkey cage :D because petchey is abit of a monkey looking anyway :lol: ) She was behaving like a silly fool after every single point, jumping in the air like an action doll :tape:

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 07:45 PM

Not a fan of Murray and the entourage then?

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Not a fan of Murray and the entourage then?
:lol: well lets just say gasquet has a nicer game and behaviour on court to watch ;) not to mention a nicer personality.

silverwhite
06-26-2005, 07:50 PM

Not every French player is like Momo or Paulo, you know. :o He has choked before (eg. In TMS Paris against GWH's favourite player ;) ), but he's improving. :)

Honestly, I'd be glad if he could even get himself into a position to choke. :lol:

I'm just hoping for a good, thrilling match. I'd be happy with the result, either way. I'll be rooting slightly more for Richard though. :p

silverwhite
06-26-2005, 07:51 PM

It was bad enough watching her on TV. :tape: I'm sorry you had to sit through it live. :o

Neely
06-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Damn, I forgot how irritating Murray's mother was! :eek:

vincayou
06-26-2005, 07:55 PM

Where is Toni Nadal when you need him?

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 07:57 PM
:lol: well lets just say gasquet has a nicer game and behaviour on court to watch ;) not to mention a nicer personality.

It's funny how Gasquet was a has-been at the start of the year and look at it now, as for me jumping on the bandwagon that won't happen.

Deivid23
06-26-2005, 07:58 PM

It will be a surprise for me if he wins this

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 07:58 PM
It's funny how Gasquet was a has-been at the start of the year and look at it now, as for me jumping on the bandwagon that won't happen.
How about jumping on the bus :lol: ?

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 07:59 PM
It will be a surprise for me if he wins this

Only a matter of time before Gasquet runs out of conditioning.

Action Jackson
How about jumping on the bus :lol: ?

No need, my opinion of him hasn't changed, just cause his results got better.

silverwhite

Whoever said you would jump on the bandwagon? :confused:

BTW, did you watch that match against your favourite player in 2003, TMS Paris? :p

silverwhite
06-26-2005, 08:01 PM

Can't say I disagree. After each match, he has said he felt tired after playing so many matches on grass. I'm just hoping he can pull through just a match or two more.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Whoever said you would jump on the bandwagon? :confused:

BTW, did you watch that match against your favourite player in 2003, TMS Paris? :p

Got to make sure things are clear when it comes to that and having seen so many bandwagon jumpers and Richard will only get more now he is doing well and no you are definitely not one of them.

I saw that TMS match.

Deivid23
06-26-2005, 08:03 PM

Donīt think David has any significant edge in this concern

silverwhite
06-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Got to make sure things are clear when it comes to that and having seen so many bandwagon jumpers and Richard will only get more now he is doing well and no you are definitely not one of them.

I saw that TMS match.

And you weren't impressed? :p

silverwhite
06-26-2005, 08:04 PM
I mean by his play, not by the choke, of course. :o

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Donīt think David has any significant edge in this concern

Nalbandian is fresher, therefore he already has an advantage.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 08:09 PM
I mean by his play, not by the choke, of course. :o

I am in between with him, some players I want him to beat and others I don't. All the ridiculous hype about him put me off, though it was not his fault in that regard.

disturb3d
06-26-2005, 08:11 PM
Nalbandian is fresher, therefore he already has an advantage.Even though he may not look it. Nalbandian is one of the most capable athletes on tour.

Look at Federer. He's built like a 12-year old girl, and he hits the ball as hard as anyone.

Deivid23
06-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Nalbandian is fresher, therefore he already has an advantage.

I donīt think fitness will play a main role here, we will see. If Nalbandian plays the same as he did against Murray, Gasquet will win in a hurry.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Even though he may not look it. Nalbandian is one of the most capable athletes on tour.

Look at Federer. He's built like a 12-year old girl, and he hits the ball as hard as anyone.

I am not the one doubting Nalbandian's fitness. I mean if it was last year when he had those 2 spare tyres then yes, but the physical is not the problem.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 08:15 PM
I donīt think physical fitness will make an edge here, we will see. If Nalbandian plays the same as he did against Murray, Gasquet will win in a hurry.

It's not like Gasquet has been blowing opponents away either, and playing and winning a tournament before Wimbledon starting and as for Gasquet, he just can't keep swinging all of the time and expect the ball to land in all the time as well.

joeb_uk
I am not the one doubting Nalbandian's fitness. I mean if it was last year when he had those 2 spare tyres then yes, but the physical is not the problem.
:yeah: Seems in alot better shape than last year.

silverwhite
I donīt think fitness will play a main role here, we will see. If Nalbandian plays the same as he did against Murray, Gasquet will win in a hurry.

David also has the edge in experience. Richard also might be overawed by the occasion (like against Agassi in Rome), which I hope won't be the case.

And don't forget, Nalby is capable of playing much better than he did against Murray. :)

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Nalbandian can use Gasquet's pace of shot to his advantage.

silverwhite
06-26-2005, 08:18 PM
One more thing. Richard has been playing a lot of big servers and big hitters in his recent matches. Playing David will be a big change and he will have to adapt.

Deivid23
06-26-2005, 08:20 PM
It's not like Gasquet has been blowing opponents away either, and playing and winning a tournament before Wimbledon starting and as for Gasquet, he just can't keep swinging all of the time and expect the ball to land in all the time as well.

I remember some huge blowouts in Nottingham and you normally donīt play like shit one day and well the next one. Nalbandian will need a high level to win this and I didnīt see any ray of hope in his last match.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 08:22 PM
I remember some huge blowouts in Nottingham and you normally donīt play like shit one day and well the next one. Nalbandian will need a high level to win this and I didnīt see any ray of hope in his last match.

I mean it's Wimbledon now and the stakes are higher and Gasquet could crumble as he has done before and Nalbandian can improve a lot on that performance. Gasquet's run will come to an end soon and I think it will be this match.

Deivid23
06-26-2005, 08:23 PM
I mean it's Wimbledon now and the stakes are higher and Gasquet could crumble as he has done before and Nalbandian can improve a lot on that performance. Gasquet's run will come to an end soon and I think it will be this match.

Yeah I find your reasoning logical, but I see him going way deep in the draw. Letīs see

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Yeah I find your reasoning logical, but I see him going way deep in the draw. Letīs see

Yes, I'll take more of an active interest in the tournament now, but as long as whoever wins this can go on and do something.

Rogiman
06-26-2005, 08:29 PM
At least some of the talking is now about Gasquet.
All that Murray talking reminded me once again why patriotism is such an ugly thing, I mean - you have a player with twice as much potential than Murray, who was able to win junior Slams (Murray's career highlight to date, at the age of 17) when he was slightly older than an elementary school-boy, and has already achieved significant things in the main tour and to top it all has beautiful strokes, but everyone's been talking on Murray - another young player who does nothing spectacular.

Richard said in his interview he hoped to play Murray, probably because he knew he would have crushed him easily and silenced the Brits.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Rogiman, this was a thread talking about the Murray/Nalbandian match, but decided to make it a Gasquet/Nalbandian preview.

silverwhite
06-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Richard said in his interview he hoped to play Murray, probably because he knew he would have crushed him easily and silenced the Brits.

No. He told the French newspaper that he wanted the chance to play on Centre Court. ;)

Neely
06-26-2005, 08:33 PM
I don't understand what's so bad when the Brits are happy to see him playing, when they cheer for him and when he is the reason that so much attention was on these matches. Damn, it's their guy and they are happy that somebody else than Henman is doing something in tennis.

jazz_girl
06-26-2005, 08:39 PM
His last match was awful, however the 2 before that were amazing, that's why I'm not so pessimistic about tomorrow. If he can play like he did when the tournament started, he can win for sure. I think he didn't know what to expect yesterday, he usually has problems with new players, because he doesn't know them. It happened with Baghdatis, Falla, Gasquet, and Murray yesterday. And I guess he was nervous, it was teh third time he had played in the Centre Court, and the first time he had won there...

Deivid23
06-26-2005, 08:40 PM
At least some of the talking is now about Gasquet.

Itīs the way things should go. Gasquet has now won a title, heīs in the second week of a Grand Slam, so he deserves headlines and discussions about him. ;)

All that Murray talking reminded me once again why patriotism is such an ugly thing, I mean - you have a player with twice as much potential than Murray, who was able to win junior Slams (Murray's career highlight to date, at the age of 17) when he was slightly older than an elementary school-boy, and has already achieved significant things in the main tour and to top it all has beautiful strokes, but everyone's been talking on Murray - another young player who does nothing spectacular.

Itīs not that patriotism is a bad thing, I mean, as everything taken into sth extreme of course itīs a bad and dangerous thing but hey, what about Davis Cup environments, arenīt they exciting?.

I donīt see anything wrong on crowd cheering for the Scot kid, only some of Murray and his parentsī reactions were too much for my taste.

Deivid23
06-26-2005, 08:46 PM
His last match was awful, however the 2 before that were amazing, that's why I'm not so pessimistic about tomorrow. If he can play like he did when the tournament started, he can win for sure. I think he didn't know what to expect yesterday, he usually has problems with new players, because he doesn't know them. It happened with Baghdatis, Falla, Gasquet, and Murray yesterday. And I guess he was nervous, it was teh third time he had played in the Centre Court, and the first time he had won there...

Yeah, I know, Iīve not seen his first two matches, but I had read some interviews and I knew he was quite happy with his game. But I was quite dissapointed at what I saw from him yesterday so Iīm pessimistic about his fate tomorrow. (I like a lot David as a player ;) )

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I know, Iīve not seen his first two matches, but I had read some interviews and I knew he was quite happy with his game. But I was quite dissapointed at what I saw from him yesterday so Iīm quite pessimistic about his fate tomorrow. (I like a lot David as a player ;) )

I am not that crazy that Nalle is going to win in straight sets or come out and say that, but I have good vibes about this match and he is familiar with Gasquet as well.

jazz_girl
06-26-2005, 08:50 PM
:lol: I know, and I don't blame you after yesterday's match!!!
The last two times he played in that court was against Hewitt in the final, and then Henman with all the crowd against him as well. According to him, he thought Murray was gonna be more nervous than he was and he was very surprised. My guess is that he completly underestimated him, which is something he usually does :o I hope he has learned once and for all!!!

Deivid23
06-26-2005, 08:51 PM
I am not that crazy that Nalle is going to win in straight sets or come out and say that, but I have good vibes about this match and he is familiar with Gasquet as well.

I know I canīt understimate such a talented guy, but Iīd honestly be surprised if he wins tomorrow.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 09:06 PM
I know I canīt understimate such a talented guy, but Iīd honestly be surprised if he wins tomorrow.

He is on the smaller court now, so I just hope he can remain focused and attack Gasquet's serve and make him volley.

gooner88
06-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Nalbo himself said he hardly knew Murray's game, which was why he played poorly.
If Gasquet gets off to a flier, I can see him running away with it. However if the match becomes close and long I'd definitely favour Nalbo.
This match has the potential to be a really great match because two of the most talented players on tour are playing. The best double-hander against the best single handed backhand in the game currently in my opinion.
I hope Nalbo can use all his experience to get the win, but I wouldn't be too angry if he lost because I like Gasquet's game.

vincayou
06-26-2005, 09:39 PM

I tend to agree, it's grass, endurance is not that important.

vincayou
06-26-2005, 09:42 PM

It's very difficult to blow away big servers on grass and Richie has only faced this kind of opponent.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 09:45 PM
It's very difficult to blow away big servers on grass and Richie has only faced this kind of opponent.

He has bottled the biggest matches so far Agassi and Nadal, and this one is a big one and Kohlschreiber hits hard off the ground and he is not a big server.

If he is as good as everyone says he is, he shouldn't have lost a set yet. Yes, I am being sarcastic.

vincayou
06-26-2005, 09:51 PM
He has bottled the biggest matches so far Agassi and Nadal, and this one is a big one and Kohlschreiber hits hard off the ground and he is not a big server.

If he is as good as everyone says he is, he shouldn't have lost a set yet. Yes, I am being sarcastic.

He just bottled Agassi. Nadal was just better.
You are right about Kohlschreiber though but he was the most dangerous of his three opponent though.

The reason why I'm optimistic about this game is that Richard seems to be very hard to break since the beginning of the Notthingham tournament and seems to play very well important moments like tie-breaks.
That said, given the pedigree of Nalbandian, he can of course lose this one. And it will remain a very good tournament for him whatever happens.