Wimbys Round of 16: Federer VS Ferrero [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimbys Round of 16: Federer VS Ferrero

oxy
06-25-2005, 02:47 PM
This is what i have been waiting for...a match on grass between the two. Guess Rogi should win but can JC push him to the limits???

Regenbogen
06-25-2005, 02:49 PM
i don't think so.

oneandonlyhsn
06-25-2005, 02:53 PM
If Roger plays like he did today, JC will give him a lot more than he can handle

NicoFan
06-25-2005, 02:56 PM
It would have been nice if those of us in the US could have watched the Roger match but instead we got Maria...then Venus...now a Maria interview.

Hello ESPN....do you have a clue about what you are doing?????

Fedex
06-25-2005, 03:20 PM
This should be a great match; I cant wait.

lucashg
06-25-2005, 03:23 PM
It should be a great match, indeed. I think Roger will win, raising his level and being consistent a bit more should be enough to do so, even if not in an easy way.

misyou25
06-25-2005, 03:26 PM
vamos juancho :D he will win

Fedex
06-25-2005, 03:27 PM
It would have been nice if those of us in the US could have watched the Roger match but instead we got Maria...then Venus...now a Maria interview.

:lol:

Art&Soul
06-25-2005, 03:28 PM
An interesting match i'm waiting for ;) and of course for another victory from ROGI, 3e would win against 2e ;) Excellent indeed :)

RonE
06-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Ferrero seems to be playing well- despite his unfair label as a claycourter he has had some decent results on grass making it to the 4th and 3rd rounds at Wimbledon in the last 2 years respectively. I haven't seen any match play as yet so I cannot comment further on his or Roger's form at this time but this is certainly a match I am looking forward to and curious to see how it will pan out and which player will use what tactics against the other.

Ferrero does have the ability to stand further inside the baseline and take some of the balls early and I think it is a tactic he will need to employ. If he serves consistently that will also be a key as he does have a very good serve which is underrated IMO. Roger will have to mix it up with his serve and use the slice to good effect and keep the ball low off the ground. If he can draw Ferrero into the net it will serve him in good stead as Ferrero's volleying skills are somewhat questionable especially if Roger hits dipping passing shots at his shoe strings. More factors will be how often Roger takes the net, the quality of his approach shots and how well Ferrero's passing shots will be.

Should be a great match to watch.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
06-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Vamos Juanqui! :rocker:

yanchr
06-25-2005, 05:31 PM
If Roger plays like he did today, JC will give him a lot more than he can handle
Did he play bad today? I don't think so :confused: I have no clue of how JC is playing right now, but from the scoreline, he should be in form. But JC has a totally different game from Kiefer. Kiefer's s/v was a big threat to Roger, and he did quite good today to push Roger. However agree Roger has to lift his game a bit against JC.

alexito
06-25-2005, 05:44 PM
vamos mosquitoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Björki
06-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Hopp Rogi :banana:

deliveryman
06-25-2005, 06:00 PM
If Roger plays like he did today (which was well, despite losing a set) he would cruise against Ferrero.

Fedex
06-25-2005, 06:06 PM
If Roger plays like he did today (which was well, despite losing a set) he would cruise against Ferrero.
Federer played poorly today, from what I've heard, so he cant afford the same mistakes against Ferrero.

deliveryman
06-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Federer played poorly today, from what I've heard, so he cant afford the same mistakes against Ferrero.

He didn't play poorly at all. If he didn't blow a 5-1 lead in a tie break it would've been a 6-2, 7-6, 6-1 straight sets victory with kiefer winning a grand total of 9 games. Pretty dominant if you ask me.

Yes he double-faulted twice in the 4th set to get broken, but did you guys see the last 4 games Federer played? Absolutely stunning tennis, and reconfirmed that he is without a doubt the best player on the planet. Remarkable tennis.

holagirl56
06-25-2005, 06:17 PM

Hello ESPN....do you have a clue about what you are doing?????

Um, no. ESPN is mainly for men in prison penitiaries.

As for the Roger/KFC question, I'm going with Roger. You know that he'd really want to play better in this match to wipe doubt off the slate, and let other people think that he isn't invincible.

Did that make sense?

Federer in 3. Albeit, 3 tight sets. Possibly. :p

Scotso
06-25-2005, 07:28 PM
go Juanqui :D

NYCtennisfan
06-25-2005, 07:51 PM
He didn't play poorly at all. If he didn't blow a 5-1 lead in a tie break it would've been a 6-2, 7-6, 6-1 straight sets victory with kiefer winning a grand total of 9 games. Pretty dominant if you ask me.

Yep. Kiefer would also only have had 1 break point opportunity and with him not converting that. Kiefer did play well to come back in that TB aided by some Federer mistakes.

This match all depends upon which Federer shows up. Federer on his game will almost certainly mean a straight set victory for him. Federer playing a little tentatively will mean a very close match that could go the distance.

BAMJ6
06-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Fed in 4 sets, with JC winning the 1st set 7-5

Doris Loeffel
06-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Good luck Roger!!
Just do it !!

DDrago2
06-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Ferrero was never easy for Federer, although theoreticaly Federer has no problems with layed-back players, but Ferrero was never his piece of cake... Federer was rarely able to play good against Ferrero, it was always tough... I think it will be tough again, but since this is grass he is a clear favourite. I think it will be 3-1 for Fed.

vincayou
06-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Ferrero justified his bump in the seedings eventually.

roisin
06-25-2005, 10:08 PM
I would kill to see JC Borg win.

undomiele
06-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Ferrero is playing well and sounding confident. Im sure both he and Federer will make it an exciting match. Go JC!!!! (You'll always be better looking than Roger anyway... ;) )

savesthedizzle
06-25-2005, 10:16 PM
I would kill to see JC Borg win.

As would I.... as you know.

Jogy
06-25-2005, 10:20 PM
GO Ferrero! VAMOS!
beat Federer (but mission with out hope :o )

roisin
06-25-2005, 10:57 PM
As would I.... as you know.
obviously ;)

Daniel
06-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Roger :D :clap2:

oneandonlyhsn
06-26-2005, 01:26 AM
Sexy Roger ofcourse :drool:

For those who thought Roger played well against Kiefer, we must have not watched the same match. You dont have 2 DF's, wild errors (not even unforced because he had an open court and blasted the shots :o ) to blow a substantial lead and gift the set to another player. Roger did lift his game in the 4 games but in the last game Kiefer didnt put a single 1st serve in which really helped Roger. JC is a solid player and is consistent unlike Kiefer so he needs to cut down those wild errors and keep his hair on his head.

liptea
06-26-2005, 01:36 AM
Yeah, Federer didn't play as well as he normally does, but the better the opponent, the better Roger plays.

Regenbogen
06-26-2005, 01:42 AM
i definitely think roger will win, even if he's not playing well he usually can manage to win the important points. i want ferrero to win though.

eleven11
06-26-2005, 03:22 AM
During this year's Wimbledon, Roger had mentioned in an interview that to be the top players,you should have the ability to win the match when you did not play your best.

NYCtennisfan
06-26-2005, 03:34 AM
Yeah, Federer didn't play as well as he normally does, but the better the opponent, the better Roger plays.

So, so true.

During this year's Wimbledon, Roger had mentioned in an interview that to be the top players,you should have the ability to win the match when you did not play your best.

It is this new ability that has let Roger become the #1 player. Oftentimes we only remember the brilliant matches he played, but there were also matches that he struggled in but toughed it out whereas in the past he would simply fade away.

RogiFan88
06-26-2005, 03:41 AM
Rogi knows not to underestimate Juanqui as he has respect for him... both he and Juanqui agree that Rogi is the "favourite" to win this match [on paper anyway]... ;)

If only this could be at least the SF or better, the F...