Federer defeats Kiefer 6-2, 6-7, 6-1, 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer defeats Kiefer 6-2, 6-7, 6-1, 7-5

oxy
06-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Rogi drops a set and great fight by Kiefer.

KarstenBraasch#1
06-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Great fight? :rolleyes:

Truly horrible match. Federer was very vulnerable today, handed Kiefer both the tie-break and the break in the 4th. Of course Kiefer couldn't capitalise, being the headcase that he is.

Regenbogen
06-25-2005, 01:48 PM
:( oh well at least it was sort of close

deliveryman
06-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Of course Kiefer couldn't capitalise, being the headcase that he is

Either that, or Federer playing absolutely mindblowing tennis in the last 3 games in the fourth set. Did you see the quality of Tennis Federer played in those last games? That was truely amazing. :eek:

knight_ley
06-25-2005, 01:50 PM
:bigclap: Great match by Kiwi ! Soo close... I'm so proud of him today... :kiss: Of course he had his chances, but he faired better against Roger than most everyone out there playing. Give credit where credit is due.

Here come the hard courts!!! :woohoo:

Fergie
06-25-2005, 01:51 PM
At least Rogi won ;)

Yoel and co.
There was a point at the fourth set (I think Kiwi was up 5-3), when Kiwi mad a fool of himself (McEnroe gave him a mouthfull for that one) and it seemed that from that moment he simply snapped :smash:

oneandonlyhsn
Roger played too tentatively. Some streaky play cost him the 2nd set, atleast it didnt go to the 5th set. He really needs to pick up his game.

WTF is up with all this, first Roddick and now Roger :rolleyes:

Neely
06-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Too bad that Kiefer didn't get the optimum out of his possibilities as he needed a higer serve percentage, especially in these important games when it was about to consolidate the breaks that he got. His serve and the amount of his aces could have been better today, he didn't get enough easy points today; the other parts of his game have been much better than in his previous two rounds and I was quite okay with that today. Just the wrong outcome for my liking :(

The only positive was that Kiefer was often more offensive than recently and at least he took a set off Federer after this great tiebreak comeback.

deliveryman
06-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Roger is playing fine. 99/100 he wouldn't blow a 5-1 or something lead in a tiebreak.

Roger always picks up his game when he needs to. Like I said the way he played in the final 3 games in the fourth set were amazing.

oneandonlyhsn
06-25-2005, 01:55 PM
There was a point at the fourth set (I think Kiwi was up 5-3), when Kiwi mad a fool of himself (McEnroe gave him a mouthfull for that one) and it seemed that from that moment he simply snapped :smash:

I didnt see it ESPN showing Venus :rolleyes: what happened?

Black Adam
06-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Roger played too tentatively. Some streaky play cost him the 2nd set, atleast it didnt go to the 5th set. He really needs to pick up his game.

I also don't get it :confused: Normaly they make quarters or the semis without losing sets but here Rogi barely avoideded a 5 setter :eek: and Roddick was awesome yesterday by being pulled to a 5th set by a qualifer :mad: :rolleyes:
C'mon guys you better put up a better show than this!

deliveryman
06-25-2005, 01:58 PM
It's not that Roger barely avoided a 5 setter...

He choked away a 6-2, 7-6, 6-1 straight sets.

Yoel and co.
06-25-2005, 02:00 PM

Kiwi shot a ball to Federer, which was very high. He knew Federer will slam it down, so he jumped on the baseline with his arms and legs out, probably trying to distract Federer. McEnroe said Federer gave him a look of disdain...

Art&Soul
06-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Its the fine perfomance by ROGI except the TB and the two double faults in a row in the forth set but finally he raised his level and Kiefer had no chance to have another TB ;) Go ROGI, just need a bit concentration :) And its nothing wrong with losing a set, its not the end of the world, sometimes he loses his concentrationg but he still won when he needs it, that's the matter :) I know you can do it better in the next round, ALezz ROGI :cool:

DDrago2
06-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Kiefer played better than I expected! He was not in good form recently, but this was a good match from him!

I don't agree that Federer played bad as KarstenBraasch#1 said, I think he played a good match, not the best, but good.

Kiefer was dangerous today but all of his weakness showed off - inconsistency as first.

Neely
06-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Kiwi shot a ball to Federer, which was very high. He knew Federer will slam it down, so he jumped on the baseline with his arms and legs out, probably trying to distract Federer. McEnroe said Federer gave him a look of disdain...
Yeah, that was a bit ridiculous ;) and first of all hopeless of course trying to distract Federer at such an easy shot that a 10 year old girl would smash in :lol: but not a too big deal either.

Instead of this stupid and more than hopeless action, I would have more liked Kiwi to revenge Federer's earlier shot into his body and I hoped for the rest of the match that Kiefer gets a chance to aim 110mph passing shot to Federer's chest similarly to the shot that Federer hit into Kiefer :devil: But Federer was too clever to avoid that :p :p

mickymouse
06-25-2005, 02:06 PM

I saw that too, but I guess it depends on how you look at it. I thought he knew he was going to lose the point for sure and just wanted to have some fun.

Bibir
maybe he's human after all. :shrug:

Fedex
Did ESPN even show Federer today?? I did not get up in time today to watch the match, but that does piss me off, if they didn't even show it. lol, They will probably show it later again anyway.

User ID 4783
06-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Kiwi simply missed the opportunity to win the 4th set... nice match altogether

JMG
06-25-2005, 02:09 PM
Kiefer hit maybe 3 first serves in these two games. :rolleyes:

onewoman74
06-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Did ESPN even show Federer today?? I did not get up in time today to watch the match, but that does piss me off, if they didn't even show it. lol, They will probably show it later again anyway.

the showed bit and pieces of the match, usually when Fed was in trouble...they also showed Fed closing out the match. they''ll show it full later

Fedex
06-25-2005, 02:11 PM
the showed bit and pieces of the match, usually when Fed was in trouble...they also showed Fed closing out the match. they''ll show it full later
Ok, thanks. :) You know I figured ESPN wouldent show it livebecause of the Sharapova and Davenport matches. :( :rolleyes:

oneandonlyhsn
06-25-2005, 02:11 PM

Too funny, thanks. Its all about the mental aspect these days and funny to see oppponents rattling each other.

knight_ley
06-25-2005, 02:12 PM

They said they're gonna show the full match???????????????

Neely
06-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Yes, that was simply too weak. And it was the deciding turnaround why Federer won in four sets instead of Kiefer forcing him to go over five set.

onewoman74
06-25-2005, 02:15 PM
They said they're gonna show the full match???????????????

maybe i'm assuming, but why wouldn't they show it?

Shabazza
06-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Its the fine perfomance by ROGI except the TB and the two double faults in a row in the forth set but finally he raised his level and Kiefer had no chance to have another TB ;) Go ROGI, just need a bit concentration :) And its nothing wrong with losing a set, its not the end of the world, sometimes he loses his concentrationg but he still won when he needs it, that's the matter :) I know you can do it better in the next round, ALezz ROGI :cool:
I second that!
In fact, I'm relieved a little that he had some problems today, but pulled through - better now than in SF or F ;)

lucashg
06-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Federer and Kiefer were both inconsistent, but managed to give us a good match IMO. Federer's serve would go on and off, as his forehand and backhand sometimes, but Kiefer forced lots of his errors, so credit to him. Roger's return was off most of the match, though. Kiefer himself had some very nice moments returning Rogi's predictable 2nd serves and had some good service games keeping his serve easily.

Well, although Rogi didn't do much serve and volley, I thought he was pretty good at it today, and he played so well those last games of the match. Congrats Rogi, keep it up and getting better. :p :yeah:

lucashg
06-25-2005, 02:20 PM

It's not like Federer was serving ace after ace in those games he was broken or in the set he lost.

:rolleyes:

Neely
06-25-2005, 02:27 PM
It's not like Federer was serving ace after ace in those games he was broken or in the set he lost.
Sure, but his serve percentage overall was better and to have a chance Kiefer needed the serve stats of Federer, especially one or two more first serves in these deciding moments. But he didn't get them and unconsistency during his service game happen unfortunately too often and that's not good for him. I hope he can improve on that for the rest of the year. The difference that Kiefer lacks is that he couldn't deliver first serves when it counted for him, and as Federer was closing the match Federer had two aces and another serve winner.

Overall Federer was of course too good but I'm still glad for Kiefer because it could have come much worse than he presented himself today and playing against Federer on grass could be finished in 80 minutes also. Federer made a few mistakes he can avoid on a better day, that was clear.

lunahielo
06-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Roger did fine. He raised his game when he had to.
Good work, Ninja..........

Nice play from Keifer~~to take it to a 4 setter. :)

Jimena
06-25-2005, 03:07 PM
So are they going to show the match on ESPN? If so, at what time?

wcr
06-25-2005, 03:11 PM
They showed a few points at the end of the match. Check out NBC which starts broadcasting at noon EST.

Kiefer is a fierce competitor and Federer played some sloppy points in the 4th set (losting serve to go down 3-5). To get a better feel for where he is, I am looking forward to his match against Ferrero. If Roger is on top of his game going into the second week, he should win in straights.

RonE
06-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Oh no, what a disaster of epic magnitude- Federer loses a set!

Proportions, please. Early rounds of slams are about survival. The cream rises to the top during and throughout the 2nd week.

noodles24
06-25-2005, 03:18 PM
NBC's going to show the Roddick-Andreev match taped at noon, but it's back to ESPN at 3pm, so they might squeeze the Fed-Kiefer match in there.

yanchr
06-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Good performance from both.

Roger was superb in the TB until 5:3, after which he was horrible :eek::rolleyes: and the double faults in the 4th set...Apart from those, I say a good show for Roger. He displayed some magic on his hands today, with some amazing bh passes and 2 (I remember) seemingly impossible reflexes on his bh. That's out of the world.

Roger has to lift his game a bit more if he wants to win it all here. Still a long way to go. Losing a set here may do him good in the whole run.

rofe
06-25-2005, 03:58 PM
I saw the match and what is worrisome is the Federer's devastating forehand was not working well today. He actually made spectacular shots off his backhand. Hopefully, he gets his bread and butter forehand in order otherwise he is going to have a tough match against Ferrero.

deliveryman
06-25-2005, 04:28 PM
lol what's wrong with you guys? Roger played fine, except for a span of 2 minutes in the tiebreak.

If Roger won that tiebreak (which he would've leading 5-1, 99 times out of 100) it would've been 6-2, 7-6, 6-1 -- against a very good grass court player.

alexito
06-25-2005, 04:43 PM
the perfect number 1 lost 1 set? mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Asar
06-25-2005, 06:25 PM

hee. And ur fave is lost 2 sets to Mr. NoBOdy must fight 5 sets. :rolleyes:

vincayou
06-25-2005, 06:51 PM
:lol:

heya
06-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Kiefer broke serve twice and double faulted away the 4th set.
Muy mal.

Space Cowgirl
06-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Sure, but his serve percentage overall was better and to have a chance Kiefer needed the serve stats of Federer, especially one or two more first serves in these deciding moments. But he didn't get them and unconsistency during his service game happen unfortunately too often and that's not good for him. I hope he can improve on that for the rest of the year. The difference that Kiefer lacks is that he couldn't deliver first serves when it counted for him, and as Federer was closing the match Federer had two aces and another serve winner
right on the money, Neely :yeah:
IMO Kiwi choked when he was serving for the fourth set. He wasn't getting his first serve in and was beaten in the rallies. Fed wasn't at his best either, the bit of the match I got to see, but he did enough to win anyway. Props to Kiwi for giving him a bit of a workout anyway :)

Neely
06-25-2005, 09:02 PM
right on the money, Neely :yeah:
IMO Kiwi choked when he was serving for the fourth set. He wasn't getting his first serve in and was beaten in the rallies. Fed wasn't at his best either, the bit of the match I got to see, but he did enough to win anyway. Props to Kiwi for giving him a bit of a workout anyway :)
I know hope that Kiefer can deliver again BIG for US hardcourt season. And then he hopefully gets to play the European indoor season when he was injured last year. Damn, hopefully lots of great things in front :)

Jogy
06-25-2005, 09:17 PM
You idiot Kiefer for choke and making easy for Federer :fiery: :banghead:

knight_ley
06-25-2005, 09:22 PM
I know hope that Kiefer can deliver again BIG for US hardcourt season. And then he hopefully gets to play the European indoor season when he was injured last year. Damn, hopefully lots of great things in front :)

I hope he can too. Hopefully this match could give him some confidence for his trip over to the States. He looked today (from what I saw) like he's good health wise, so let's hope he gets the ball rolling again this year.... This time with a tournament win. God knows we have been waiting long enough for another one :angel:

Neely
06-25-2005, 09:31 PM
You idiot Kiefer for choke and making easy for Federer :fiery: :banghead:
Do not say idiot to Kiwi... no no no.... :p he will be the one in Davis Cup against Czech Republic who will have to compensate Tommy's losses :smoke:

Black Adam
06-25-2005, 09:34 PM
hee. And ur fave is lost 2 sets to Mr. NoBOdy must fight 5 sets. :rolleyes:
Who you talking about :confused: Coria??

Neely
06-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Who you talking about :confused: Coria??
yes, I think so.

knight_ley
06-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Do not say idiot to Kiwi... no no no.... :p he will be the one in Davis Cup against Czech Republic who will have to compensate Tommy's losses :smoke:

:yeah: When is Davis Cup by the way... lol

Irish
06-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Well done Roger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Good try Nick!

Yoel and co.
06-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Q. Late in the fourth set, I believe it was when he was serving for the fourth set, there was a shot, sort of a lob, he kind of raised his hands almost perhaps to distract you. Did you notice that at all?

ROGER FEDERER: Oh, I hit an overhead winner?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER: I saw he was doing something, but I thought he was going to throw the racquet already, not happy with that lob. That's the feeling I got. It didn't bother me. I was wondering what he was doing.

Q. With all his gestures, Lleyton Hewitt, his calling out, he's generally considered to be the most intense, in‑your‑face type of competitor on the circuit these days. After Lleyton, who would you say would be the most intense or in‑your‑face competitors on the circuit?

ROGER FEDERER: Where are we going here (smiling)? I don't know. Do you want me to say names?

I mean, the guy who gets pumped up is definitely Nadal. In your face, it's Stepanek. I feel he's a little in your face. Depends if you like it or not. I turn around rather quickly. Don't really pay too much attention. But from what I remember of playing him...

Q. Do you like Hewitt? Does it bother you with Hewitt?>

ROGER FEDERER: Not any more. Used to.

Q. You just block it out?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, started to play him so many times. I know him by now. Doesn't bother me any more, so it's good.

knight_ley
06-25-2005, 10:59 PM
I was wondering what he was doing.

Roger, we all were.... :lol:

Bilbo
06-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Federer's getting worse every year since 2003 so is Roddick

Fedex
06-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Federer's getting worse every year since 2003 so is Roddick
He's getting worse since 03?? :confused: That's funny, because I seem to remember Federer winning 3 slams last year, vs only 1 Grand Slam in 2003.

Bilbo
06-25-2005, 11:52 PM
He's getting worse since 03?? :confused: That's funny, because I seem to remember Federer winning 3 slams last year, vs only 1 Grand Slam in 2003.

Yes, you are right. Federer's getting worse since 2004 and Roddick since 2003.

Daniel
06-25-2005, 11:54 PM
anither wonderful win by the best .
Well done Roger :D

NYCtennisfan
06-26-2005, 02:42 AM
Federer's getting worse since 2004 and Roddick since 2003.

That was only a year ago for Federer and he is 54-3 this year. He can't win 0,2,1 every match.

DanEd
06-26-2005, 02:51 AM
:lol:
Yes, you are right. Federer's getting worse since 2004 and Roddick since 2003.