Federer Not Popular in the Home Land [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer Not Popular in the Home Land

El Legenda
06-25-2005, 05:41 AM
I finally got around the read my ESPN the Magazine, there was like 10 pages on Maria, followed by 3 on how Roger is not popular or well known in his home country. here is a quote from the article, talking about Roger in a bar in Basel, Federer's been in here few times, He just sat at the bar and ate.Nobody bothered him. Im not sure anyone noticed him"

i found this wired, you would think, the countrys most popular sports icon, is not getting any love in the homeland.

YoursTruly
06-25-2005, 05:44 AM
He is very popular in Switzerland as well as Europe, and his world-level status is growing naturally. But you also have to consider the type of people and environment you're talking about. Maybe people in his country are just calm and subdued and don't go starstruck like they do in the USA. I wouldn't be surprised, Switzerland is a very calming country.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-25-2005, 05:44 AM
no one would notice sharapova either.

Art&Soul
06-25-2005, 05:47 AM
He is very popular in Switzerland as well as Europe, and his world-level status is growing naturally. But you also have to consider the type of people and environment you're talking about. Maybe people in his country are just calm and subdued and don't go starstruck like they do in the USA. I wouldn't be surprised, Switzerland is a very calming country.
Good point :yeah: Agreed :)

Chloe le Bopper
06-25-2005, 05:54 AM
ESPN magazine is garbage.

El Legenda
06-25-2005, 05:57 AM

SI is better?

Chloe le Bopper
06-25-2005, 05:58 AM
Only slightly.

Pea
06-25-2005, 06:00 AM
Not for tennis exclusives.

Stevens Point
06-25-2005, 06:07 AM
That is absolutely true. Roger is popular and famous enough in Switzerland. Swiss people are not like, when they find a famous person on the street or somewhere, they follow him/her and ask for an autograph or something like that.. Tina Turner is living in Zurich and many people are aware of this, she goes shopping alone without sun glasses. People recognize her, but they don't act more than recognizing her. I know that some famous people are living in Switzerland for this reason...

oneandonlyhsn
06-25-2005, 06:52 AM
That is absolutely true. Roger is popular and famous enough in Switzerland. Swiss people are not like, when they find a famous person on the street or somewhere, they follow him/her and ask for an autograph or something like that.. Tina Turner is living in Zurich and many people are aware of this, she goes shopping alone without sun glasses. People recognize her, but they don't act more than recognizing her. I know that some famous people are living in Switzerland for this reason...

Well said, I hate how fans oogle over stars or famous athletes when they are trying to live their own lvies. I have noticed a lot of high profile people for the US often go and live somehwere in Europe because they find some peace and quiet there.

CooCooCachoo
06-25-2005, 06:55 AM
Roger will be glad he can sit and eat at a bar without being interrupted :p The Swiss love him so much, they realize to give him so privacy :p

Gaelle
06-25-2005, 07:43 AM
Federer is so popular in switzerland trust me!!!but the thing is that the swiss people aren't very demonstrativ they're calm and let the famous people quiet!they respect their privacy!

PaulieM
06-25-2005, 10:22 AM
it probably has something to do with the fact that not all places in the world are celebrity obsessed. he's probably glad he can sit in a bar and not get harassed. :shrug:

Castafiore
06-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Quite a lot of big sports stars live in Switzerland, esp. Germans. Does it also have something to do with taxes?

Michael Schumacher lives there and I know that he ran away from Monaco to find some peace and quiet in Switzerland.
Jan Ullrich, the cyclist lives there: also for the peace and quiet (but perhaps also for tax reasons?)
Boris Becker

Many German sports stars get a rough deal within their own country, I think (and if there are any Germans reading this...feel free to correct me if I have the wrong impression). They get hyped up like crazy but once something goes wrong (which is bound to happen in a long career), the popular press tends to jump on them like a bunch of jackals.

In Belgium, the press is usually not that hyper about our stars. Sure, there are people who do get a lot of attention: like our two female tennis stars Kim Clijsters and Henin but also Tom Boonen, the cyclist,...but all in all, the hype rarely goes over the top. Belgians are a bit too down to earth in nature to get carried away by hype, I guess.

joeb_uk
06-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Federer is the kind of guy who probably appreciates and would rather not be approached by everyone. At least it shows the swiss to be good people and dont pester him!

Yoel and co.
06-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Jan Ullrich, the cyclist lives there: also for the peace and quiet (but perhaps also for tax reasons?)

Ullrich lives there because of the chocolate

morningglory
06-25-2005, 12:32 PM
A prophet(ess) is not without honor save in his own country, incidentally Sharapova too...

star
06-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Well said, I hate how fans oogle over stars or famous athletes when they are trying to live their own lvies. I have noticed a lot of high profile people for the US often go and live somehwere in Europe because they find some peace and quiet there.

And then again there are famous Europeans who go to live in New York or Miami because they can't get peace and quiet in their home countries. It all evens out. :)

Anyway, I always think that the best gift you can give a celebrity is to leave them alone -- not approach them -- not ask for autographs -- not stare.

star
06-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Ullrich lives there because of the chocolate

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Does he have a chance this year?

Yoel and co.
06-25-2005, 12:56 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Does he have a chance this year?

Hmmm, bigger than last year, but still not so great IMO

star
06-25-2005, 12:59 PM
I hear Armstrong had some trouble in his warm up races. The team has changed. He's having some hairbrained feud with Landis, and His great Russian teammate (can't spell that name) injured his sternum in a crash and won't be available for the Tour.

Yoel and co.
06-25-2005, 02:06 PM
I hear Armstrong had some trouble in his warm up races. The team has changed. He's having some hairbrained feud with Landis, and His great Russian teammate (can't spell that name) injured his sternum in a crash and won't be available for the Tour.

Yes, Ekimov is out. Didn't hear about any feude with Landis, though...

Lance will have his hands full - Ullrich, Vinokrov, Basso...they all smell blood...hard to say for sure what is his current form

misyou25
06-25-2005, 02:12 PM
he's too popular here (switzerland)

Seraphim
06-25-2005, 02:19 PM
he's too popular here (switzerland)
I would think the footballers and skiers are more popular than fed because their respective sports are.

TennisLurker
06-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Star, I think many of the european stars who move to the USA are just unknown in America, Robbie Williams for example I think lives in the USA, he couldnt be more popular in England, Europe, Latin America but I think most americans wouldnt recognize him.

DDrago2
06-25-2005, 02:29 PM
I think this kind of writting is not that much about Federer and Sharapova, but about womens and mens tennis. Womens tennis is recently simply much more accpeted by wide audiences, and it is not easy to say why - it has to do with something outside of sports, for sure... There is no thing Federer can do, except making a fool of himself, to gain more respect from this kind of press at the moment.

misyou25
06-25-2005, 02:33 PM
I would think the footballers and skiers are more popular than fed because their respective sports are.
no way. do you live in switzerland?

star
06-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Yes, Ekimov is out. Didn't hear about any feude with Landis, though...

Lance will have his hands full - Ullrich, Vinokrov, Basso...they all smell blood...hard to say for sure what is his current form

Yeah. Landis left the team, and it's been all downhill so to speak since then. They had a clash in the race in Georgia. Lance was being quite agressive, I think. He was very angry with Landis. I heard it carried into the race in France as well.

Yoel and co.
06-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah. Landis left the team, and it's been all downhill so to speak since then. They had a clash in the race in Georgia. Lance was being quite agressive, I think. He was very angry with Landis. I heard it carried into the race in France as well.

Lance does not have a very good record when it coms to people leaving his team - He had a bit of something going on with Hamilton and Leipheimer too, I think :o

star
06-25-2005, 02:52 PM
I think he and Hamilton remained on good terms. But I think not with Leipheimer.

Anyway, I love all this pre Tour build up.

Lance often looks vulnerable in the warm up races only to be strong in the Tour. But, he counts on his team to keep him where he wants to be in the race that first week. Ekimov was such an important part of that team. It's really Hincapie and he who exhaust themselves for Lance in the flat stages.

Yoel and co.
06-25-2005, 02:54 PM
I think he and Hamilton remained on good terms. But I think not with Leipheimer.

Anyway, I love all this pre Tour build up.

Lance often looks vulnerable in the warm up races only to be strong in the Tour. But, he counts on his team to keep him where he wants to be in the race that first week. Ekimov was such an important part of that team. It's really Hincapie and he who exhaust themselves for Lance in the flat stages.

And Landis...that is a formidable loss for Lance. I heard he offered Basso a place in his team...

wcr
06-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Federer is adored by the Swiss. You have only to look at the incredible receptions he received in Gstaad in 2003 and 2004 after he won Wimbledon. Regardless how tired he was (and sick with colds) he went to Gstaad immediately after all the interviews and parties at Wimbledon to accept the honors the Swiss wanted so badly to bestow upon him. He's loved all over the world.

Sadly he will not play Gstaad this year so that he can rest and prepare for his hard court season in the United States. Let's hope he wins Basel this coming fall!

NYCtennisfan
06-25-2005, 03:48 PM

Only slightly.

Yep.

Mrs. B
06-25-2005, 04:10 PM
not popular?

he won the Swiss Sportsman of the Year award twice in a row and was also Swiss of the Year.

he's probably the most famous Swiss in the world right now.

alexito
06-25-2005, 04:46 PM
of course, federer is boring.

holagirl56
06-25-2005, 05:23 PM

I love you.

El Legenda
06-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks to Jim Jones for bad repping me for posting something i read in a magazine, ahole

Skyward
06-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Rducky, what is the exact title of the article about Fed?

Doris Loeffel
06-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Don't for get also a few tennis players chose Switzerland as their base and I bet it does have a reason (and no we don't have the very best facilities to learn the sport or even improve it) Schüttler, Mauresmo, Clement, Forget, Kafelnikov, (o.k. the last ones are no no longer playing

Roger is still living here becouse he knows that we do leave him alone here despite his popularity!!

El Legenda
06-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Rducky, what is the exact title of the article about Fed?

ESPN THE MAGAZINE. Issue june 20th 2005 title: Swiss Missed: What does Roger Federer-Maybe the greatest tennis player of all time-Have to do to get a little hometown love?

Skyward
06-25-2005, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the info, RDucky.

Saumon
06-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Don't for get also a few tennis players chose Switzerland as their base and I bet it does have a reason (and no we don't have the very best facilities to learn the sport or even improve it) Schüttler, Mauresmo, Clement, Forget, Kafelnikov, (o.k. the last ones are no no longer playing

Roger is still living here becouse he knows that we do leave him alone here despite his popularity!!

french players cant go to monaco for tax reasons so they go to geneva :p

liptea
06-26-2005, 01:15 AM
Um, sorry, but even if I was in Switzerland and saw Carlos Moya, he would be assaulted.

NYCtennisfan
06-26-2005, 02:39 AM
liptea, you are too funny.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 01:16 PM
It seems that magazine got its facts wrong. Federer is very popular in Switzerland and that is amongst all the language groups as well, and that's the way in Switzerland, they aren't going to bother Federer when he is at home and other posters have mentioned that plenty of sports people live there for tax reasons and also the locals respect their privacy.

PamV
06-26-2005, 01:41 PM
I finally got around the read my ESPN the Magazine, there was like 10 pages on Maria, followed by 3 on how Roger is not popular or well known in his home country. here is a quote from the article, talking about Roger in a bar in Basel,

i found this wired, you would think, the countrys most popular sports icon, is not getting any love in the homeland.

That is absurd to say Roger would not be well known or popular in Switzerland. You must be misinterpreting. He won all the top sports popularity awards in Europe in 2004. He's like a rock star there.

Can you really think that after winning 3 majors in one year he would not be well known in a country as small as Switzerland? That's a country that loves tennis a lot more than in the US.

Roger is loved world wide. The US is the only backward country that doesn't follow tennis closely. As for Sharapova, she has a big marketing company that tries to sell her as the next Kournakova sex kitten. However, I don't think she has a recognizable face to most Americans. She just looks ordinary except for how tall and thin she is. However, there are so many actresses and models who are better looking that her.....so what is the big deal? I think a lot of her popularity comes from the hype that her agency pays people to write about.

Nimomunz
06-26-2005, 04:34 PM
I think this kind of writting is not that much about Federer and Sharapova, but about womens and mens tennis. Womens tennis is recently simply much more accpeted by wide audiences, and it is not easy to say why - it has to do with something outside of sports, for sure... There is no thing Federer can do, except making a fool of himself, to gain more respect from this kind of press at the moment.
i dont think so .to me mens tennis is much more popular than womens.

Nimomunz
06-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks to Jim Jones for bad repping me for posting something i read in a magazine, ahole
i hate people who bad rep for the most idiotic things!!!