Brad predicts Taylor Dent in the semis with Federer [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Brad predicts Taylor Dent in the semis with Federer

rofe
06-24-2005, 08:59 PM
During today's telecast, Cliff Drysdale reminded Brad about this prediction.

Taylor has been playing well but does he have enough to go past Hewitt and Ancic?

I don't think so.

RodLo
06-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Past Hewitt? No. I'd love to see him get into the semis, but come on....:shrug:

Scotso
06-24-2005, 09:01 PM
:haha:

Paialii
06-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Didn't Dent take out Hewitt earlier this year in a tournament? Maybe I'm wrong (not being sarcastic, I really can't remember). Also consider that Hewitt isn't playing his best after coming back from injury; Dent's playing decently.

On an extremely good day, he could get past Hewitt, but I don't see him beating Ancic; not on grass. I'd be thoroughly shocked if Dent made it to the semis, where he'd be sorry for making it that far to play Fed. ;)

superpinkone37
06-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Nah, I don't think it will happen. I'd love for him to beat Lleyton, but I don't think it is that likely. I mean, yeah he beat Lleyton earlier this year, but I don't know. Actually, I haven't been watching either of them too closely to make a really good prediction. :shrug: And it all depends on Dent's serve :p

Fedex
06-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Dent could challenge Hewitt, and maybe win a set or two, but I dont think he will actually beat him.

NYCtennisfan
06-24-2005, 09:04 PM
He'd have to serve something like 75% 1st serves in just to have a chance against LH.

Skyward
I'm surprised that he didn't predict Dent-Roddick final :lol:

deliveryman
What's so laughable about that, you do realize that upsets happen in Tennis all the time? Not to mention, Dent has already beaten LLeyton, and it's going to be played on grass, which will clearly favour Dent.

If it does happen, would it be considered an upset? Ofcourse.

Is the idea so absurd, that it's even laughable to think about? No.

RodLo
06-24-2005, 09:06 PM
What's so laughable about that, you do realize that upsets happen in Tennis all the time? Not to mention, Dent has already beaten LLeyton, and it's going to be played on grass, which will clearly favour Dent.

Settle down.

deliveryman
06-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Settle down.

Huh?

RodLo
06-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Nevermind. :shrug:

Paialii
06-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Nevermind. :shrug:

I like your avatar, RodLo. :wavey:

RodLo
06-24-2005, 09:11 PM
I like your avatar, RodLo. :wavey:

Thank yas. :)

rofe
06-24-2005, 09:12 PM

If at all he beats anyone it will be Hewitt. He has to play out of his skin to do that though. Even if he is on fire, I doubt he can win against Ancic (though Ancic has choked away games in the past).

Cervantes
06-24-2005, 09:16 PM
It's not impossible for Dent to beat Hewitt. Hewitt hasn't played too well after coming back from injury and had a pretty difficult time against Gimelstob :confused:

It's also not impossible for Dent to beat Ancic, but to beat Hewitt and Ancic back to back, I don't see that happening. But don't forget Ancic will have to get past Lopez first and that's not a foregone conclusion.

Clara Bow
06-24-2005, 09:24 PM
But don't forget Ancic will have to get past Lopez first and that's not a foregone conclusion.

Yes, true, everyone is acting like it is a given that Ancic will reach the QF but he hasn't beaten Lopez yet.

Of course, it is very likely that Ancic will beat Lopez but nothing is 100%. Personally, since Brad Gilbert predicted that Safin would beat Lopez, and then when that proved to be wrong then predicted that Ancic would beat Lopez to get to the quarters - where Dent would beat Ancic- I think it would be funny if Lopez was the surprise "dark horse" instead of Dent.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Maybe Dent is going to be fired up with the King Kong trailer coming out.

deliveryman
06-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Maybe Dent is going to be fired up with the King Kong trailer coming out.

LOL

Dirk
06-24-2005, 09:53 PM
I think Dent has a great chance against Hewitt. Justin played pretty well today and Dent is better than him. I expect him to win but if the match goes long my faith will disappear. A brave but understandable call from Brad. :yeah:

tennisace
06-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Yes, true, everyone is acting like it is a given that Ancic will reach the QF but he hasn't beaten Lopez yet.

Of course, it is very likely that Ancic will beat Lopez but nothing is 100%. Personally, since Brad Gilbert predicted that Safin would beat Lopez, and then when that proved to be wrong then predicted that Ancic would beat Lopez to get to the quarters - where Dent would beat Ancic- I think it would be funny if Lopez was the surprise "dark horse" instead of Dent.

He also predicted Timmay would whup Dmitry, that it would be a lopsided three set affair, and all of England would be able to enjoy an early tea time.

Fedex
06-24-2005, 10:03 PM
I think Dent has a great chance against Hewitt. Justin played pretty well today and Dent is better than him. I expect him to win but if the match goes long my faith will disappear. A brave but understandable call from Brad. :yeah:
Dent has a chance, and Hewitt has looked out of sorts in the first 3 rounds, although his serve has been terrific. Dent will need to serve very well to beat Hewitt.

Deivid23
06-24-2005, 10:06 PM
If Gimelstob makes a match from his game against LH, why Dent can´t? If he serves like today against Berdych, he can upset him

NYCtennisfan
06-24-2005, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE
If Gimelstob makes a match from his game against LH, why Dent can´t? If he serves like today against Berdych, he can upset him[/QUOTE]

Yep. Better serve, better volleys. Maybe get a cheap break or two. Win a Tb. You never know.

Clara Bow
06-24-2005, 10:31 PM
I would not really be surprised if Dent beat LH. I still think that Hewitt will win, but my thought on this are about 60% Hewitt, 40% Dent.

As others have stated, Hewitt has still not been playing to his upper upmost here. And Dent really does have a great game for grass, and has been playing well here from what I have seen.

However, if Hewitt does bring his A-game to the match, and continues to serve as he has this year (I like how his serve has become more of a weapon for him), I really think that Hewitt could win in three.

oneandonlyhsn
06-24-2005, 10:48 PM
I saw todays match btw Hewitt and Gimelstobb and seriously Hewitt got gifts at times from Gimlestobb and was outplayed in the 1st set by Justin. After seeing him get teh massage and wincing in pain, I knew he wasnt going to give Hewitt much trouble after that, but still Hewitt was only able to break his serve once in each set. Taylor has a better serve, is much better on grass, and Hewitt is not in top form. So who knows Dent might have a chance, but if Hewitt can play his A-game then I dont think Dent will win

Oh and the win earlier this year in Adelaide, Hewitt wasnt playing well. He seemed out of form or something but he wasnt playing well. So anything can happen in this matchup

Regenbogen
06-24-2005, 11:08 PM
i really don't think dent will win, it will probably be close, but he won't win. sometimes i think brad's predictions are a little crazy lol

NATAS81
06-24-2005, 11:51 PM
His S/V game will be ripped apart by Hewitt.

He can deal with Ancic though, less speed.

Gonzalez if he beats Youzhny/Bjorkman (which he should), it wouldn't surprise me if he takes at least a set off of Federer.

DanEd
06-24-2005, 11:57 PM
He has a chance, its not impossible. He defeated hewitt this year and he lost a tight five set match in 2001.

Havok
06-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Not for anything, but the fatass Gimblestob was giving hewitt a run for his money. if Justin was in really good shape, to tell you the truth he just might have gotten the win over Hewitt.:o Dent's serve is massive, much more potent than Justin's, he has a wicked slice backhand and volleys very well. If Justin can push Hewitt like he did today, Dent can certainly topple Hewitt. Will it happen, who knows, but Dent has the goods obviously since he's beaten him already at the beginning of the year, and that was on a slow hardcourt.:o

NATAS81
06-25-2005, 12:07 AM
If Dent can consistantly pop off 140 MPH serves and get them IN PLAY, as NYC mentioned along with fairly high accuracy he will be tough to stop when you combine the S/V game.

He's always had a good feel for Wimbledon surface for whatever reason, so it wouldn't surprise me if he takes Hewitt 5.

But Lleyton will wear him down and is in better physical shape despite his time off from tour during clay.

Dent seems to struggle in long sets versus just about anybody to begin with.

bad gambler
06-25-2005, 12:54 AM
Aussie Dent can definitely challenge Hewitt in the battle of the aussies.

Dent thrashed him in Adelaide earlier this year.

However Hewitt feasts on serve vollyers and on grass will expect to win

Should be a cracking match nonetheless

NYCtennisfan
06-25-2005, 01:03 AM
But Lleyton will wear him down and is in better physical shape despite his time off from tour during clay.

Dent seems to struggle in long sets versus just about anybody to begin with.

Yeah, this is the way I see it. If Dent doesn't get a high % of 1st serves in, then he might get blown off of the court.

+alonso
06-25-2005, 01:08 AM
No :D

Skyward
06-25-2005, 01:22 AM
However Hewitt feasts on serve vollyers

If their name is not Karlovic. ;)

Leo
06-25-2005, 03:51 AM
Brad may be fantastic as coach, but as commentator he is just pathetic. Blatantly biased and unobjective. Remember when he predicted an Agassi/Roddick QF at the French? And when he said that he'd stand on his head if Roddick didn't make the quarters with his "Betty Crocker" draw (which included the likes of Volandri, Puerta, Canas, etc.)? He's a tad American-crazy.

Ancic has a better chance of beating Hewitt than Dent does, I think. Hopefully someone will stop the Aussie; he's playing badly, anyway.

Leo
06-25-2005, 03:53 AM
Yeah, this is the way I see it. If Dent doesn't get a high % of 1st serves in, then he might get blown off of the court.

Hewitt isn't playing well enough right now to blow anyone off the court. Look at how he struggled with Gimelstob, who essentially has no major weapons. Not the kind of tennis that wins Wimbledon.

FanOfHewitt
06-25-2005, 05:31 AM
Going on form you'd have to give Dent a very good chance. Hewitt was hitting a lot of returns of serve into the net against Gimelstob. Furthermore most of his groundstrokes were landing within the service line and his passing shots were so so.

The thing about Hewitt though is that he lifts dramatically when he feels he is being challenged. This was evident in his matches agasint Gimelstob and Hernych. Despite playing crap tennis, when the match was there to be won he was rock steady. If Dent is pressing Hewitt a lot then expect Hewitt's game to lift, even if his form is currently crap.

Hewitt in 5.

KCVH
06-26-2005, 08:12 PM
T. Dent leads in this years H2H's vs. the top 10 ranked players. He's proved he can trouble/def. top players. Needs a given day and his second serve should work the same way as it happened against L. Hewitt earlier this year. The question is how his gameplan works out. At his best he can make the semis.

KoOlMaNsEaN
06-26-2005, 10:54 PM
Brad is full of shit and all for pro-americana. I hate his stupid smile and lemme say *cough*losah*cough*

smucav
06-27-2005, 12:45 AM
Taylor said in an ESPN interview on Friday that his dad has been coaching Gimelstob so he's watched all of Hewitt's last two matches & will be sure to give him some advice.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2005-06-24/200506241119626798087.htmlQ. Is your dad any less forthcoming on information when you're playing another Aussie?
TAYLOR DENT: Oh, no. He's Dent more than Aussie, that's for sure. He's going to want me to win out there. He'll be chomping at the bit to tell me everything he knows.

Q. Are his reports succinct or do they go on and on?
TAYLOR DENT: He'll be as detailed as you care to hear, that's for sure.

For me, my game is pretty simple. I like to tell him, "Look, bottom line is if I execute out there, I'm going to be a handful for Lleyton. I'm going to be very tough to beat."

But he loves dissecting players and loves dissecting all that information so he'll have a good time telling me.

bad gambler
06-27-2005, 03:38 AM
If Dent serves well, he has a shot.

But smart money will be on Hewitt, and to win in 4 sets

switz
06-27-2005, 04:05 AM
If Dent is on fire he can beat Hewitt but best of 5 sets does not favour him at all.

I can see a pumped up Taylor blasting his way through the first set and maybe even the second but i think Hewitt will gradually work is way into the match and eventually win.

Although i dislike Hewitt i would kind of prefer he wins because i find Taylor such a boring player to watch and the thought of Ancic/Lopez vs Dent makes me want to sleep. no offense to his fans

Fedex
06-27-2005, 04:05 AM
Hewitt isn't playing well enough right now to blow anyone off the court. Look at how he struggled with Gimelstob, who essentially has no major weapons. Not the kind of tennis that wins Wimbledon.
True

Golfnduck
06-27-2005, 04:07 AM
I can see Taylor beating Hewitt, but not Ancic. It would be cool for Taylor to reach the semis, but Ancic has a really good chance to beat Federer. I don't believe Taylor could beat Roger.

Fedex
06-27-2005, 04:07 AM
However Hewitt feasts on serve vollyers and on grass will expect to win

True, but since Dent has that 135+mph 1st serve, this will hardly be like the Henman matchup. I expect it to be a close match, but Hewitt will win in 4 or 5 sets, if needed.

jole
06-27-2005, 04:46 AM
Sorry guys, but Brad Gilbert's prophetic mind rules the tennis universe.

http://www.tennis.info/images/Roddick3/8CEC0255.jpg

oneandonlyhsn
06-27-2005, 05:07 AM
Sorry guys, but Brad Gilbert's prophetic mind rules the tennis universe.

http://www.tennis.info/images/Roddick3/8CEC0255.jpg

Gilbert looks crazy as ever :o