Nadal/Lopez not playing doubles? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal/Lopez not playing doubles?

Sinerra
06-24-2005, 05:51 PM
I just looked at the order of play of Wimbledon, and Rafael Nadal and Feliciano Lopez are not playing.... Does anyone know why they suddenly pulled out??

NATAS81
06-24-2005, 05:52 PM
No.

RickDaStick
06-24-2005, 06:24 PM
They are still playing it is just that they werent scheduled for today, most likely because of Lopez singles match.

MariaV
06-24-2005, 06:25 PM
They are still playing it is just that they werent scheduled for today, most likely because of Lopez singles match.
Exactly.

Lee
06-24-2005, 06:26 PM

On Wimbledon web site, on court 13 of the OOP, walkover.

*Ljubica*
06-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Yes- they were scheduled to play today and have definately pulled out. I don't know the reason for sure, but the weather forecast is really bad for the next few days here, - which means Feli could have to play singles matches every day (no rest days) and possibly even two matches on one day to clear the backlog - so I guess he wanted to retire from the doubles to give him maximum rest time.

MariaV
06-24-2005, 06:56 PM
I guess you're right Rosie about Feli wanting more time for his singles now after he defeated Marat and with the rain.

silverwhite
06-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Looks like Feli is going to get thrashed by Deivid today after all... :bolt:

Chris Seahorse
06-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Looks like Feli is going to get thrashed by Deivid today after all... :bolt:

:lol:

kerrie1981
06-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Let's not use the term "pulled out" re: Felciano Lopez and teaming up with a partner (Nadal no less) to play doubles.

I just sounds a little lurid.

Scotso
06-24-2005, 09:24 PM
:fiery:

Jenrios
06-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Rather than just Lopez focussing on singles, I think it's more likely Nadal doesn't want to hang around now he's out of singles.

RodLo
06-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Yes- they were scheduled to play today and have definately pulled out. I don't know the reason for sure, but the weather forecast is really bad for the next few days here, - which means Feli could have to play singles matches every day (no rest days) and possibly even two matches on one day to clear the backlog - so I guess he wanted to retire from the doubles to give him maximum rest time.

Makes sense to me. Can't say I'd blame him...

Castafiore
06-24-2005, 10:27 PM
On the BBC, they just said that Nadal pulled out of the doubles 'because of injury'.

Jenrios
06-24-2005, 10:30 PM
official reason is that Nadal has an injury.

Clara Bow
06-24-2005, 10:33 PM
On the BBC, they just said that Nadal pulled out of the doubles 'because of injury'.

It sounds like his knee started bugging him in practice. From the Telegraph

Rafael Nadal's exertions over the last few months caught up with him yesterday when he withdrew from the men's doubles with a knee injury following his defeat in the singles earlier.

The Spanish French Open winner, 19, had linked well with countryman Feliciano Lopez to win their first-round match earlier in the week but did not want to take any risks on courts that are still relatively unfamiliar to him after beginning to struggle with moving the knee in practice.

Although I wish he and Lopez would continue to play, since he has been slipping a lot on the grass I guess it is wise to pull out and not exacerbate anything.

Hope the knee stuff heals up nicely during his rest.