Tim Henman moaning and swearing at the crowd and ballkids [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tim Henman moaning and swearing at the crowd and ballkids

Raquel
06-24-2005, 05:22 PM
I've always defended Tim on here, even though he is not exactly a favourite of mine. I've always said he has to deal with too much pressure when Wimbledon comes round and takes too much unfair abuse when he doesn't win Wimbledon despite being a top ten staple for years. But a lot of articles in the newspapers here are talking about what Tim was saying yesterday to the crowd and ballkids and I've got no sympathy for him now.

Whining and moaning at the crowd to make noise - how about you give them something to shout about? They were making enough noise from what I could hear but to be honest for most of the match there was not much to cheer. And then whining at the ballkids. I've heard that before about Tim. Some ballkids came out and said he was the worst player to deal with. So much for the gentleman of tennis. I don't mind players swearing at all. It's always good to see emotion but when you're swearing and moaning at your own fans and taking it out on ballkids because you're not playing well, then you don't deserve their support to get you through.

:wavey: Bye Tim, and don't worry - next year the crowds will be going wild. For Andy Murray.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005290126,00.html

Fuming Henman is out

By PAUL THOMPSON

TIM Henman became the forgotten man of Wimbledon yesterday as he lost — and teen ace Andy Murray triumphed.

The old gave way to the new as Tim, 30, was defeated 6-3, 2-6, 6-3, 3-6, 6-8 by Russia’s Dimitry Tursunov.

Andy, 18, beat Czech Radek Stepanek 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 — despite being a massive 299 rankings below him.

For Tim it was a day of despair — and disgrace — as he gave his loyal fans a volley of four-letter abuse.

The normally mild-mannered star turned to the quiet crowd in the first set and shouted: “Come on! F***! More! Make some f*****g noise, it is unbelievable.”

Fans responded with shouts of “Come on Tim”.

He was swearing again in the second set while 3-1 down.

This time the colourful language was heard by umpire Andreas Egli, who gave him a verbal warning.

TV commentator John “You cannot be serious” McEnroe said: “That was more McEnroe and Connors-like.”

Henman even shouted at a ballboy telling him to “get his head out of his a**e” and fetch him a cold drink. It was the first time since 1995 Tim has failed to make it to the third round.

But a couple of hours later there was joy for Brit fans as Wimbledon wonder Andy — a wild card entry — stormed through.

As he clinched victory Andy, of Dunblane, Scotland, tossed his racket in the air and gave a double-clenched fist salute.

Crowds on Wimbledon’s Henman Hill had already renamed it Murray Mount.

Odds on Andy winning the championship were slashed from 200/1 to 66/1.

wipeout
06-24-2005, 05:46 PM
I saw this too. Complaining about the crowd who partly pay the money you win and the ball-kids who are working for nothing is pretty bad. :(

He and Greg did send texts congratulating Murray, though.

Fee
06-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Gawd, he's human.

I've said worse things at work, lucky me I don't do my job in front of cameras (or children).

tangerine_dream
06-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Timmy was in a crabby mood as soon as he stepped on the court yesterday. He lit into everyone for every little thing. I can't imagine the kind of pressure he has been under by his own country and people for as long as he has.

In any case, it's a good thing Murray showed up when he did. Perhaps the press will lay off Henman now that he's "over" and turn all their nuisiance attention onto Murray. No more insane pressure for Henman to deal with.

And then just when the press isn't looking, Tim will win a slam somewhere, somehow. lol

Lee
06-24-2005, 06:12 PM
:p Will the media write something like this if Henman managed to squeeze out from this match like the first round? :o

Raquel
06-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Gawd, he's human.

I've said worse things at work, lucky me I don't do my job in front of cameras (or children).
I know he's human. I have absolutely no problem with swearing. We all do it. But to turn to the crowd who have supported him for years, despite his lack of any real success there, and shout "Make some fucking noise. It's unbelievable" is sheer desperation. Do something worth shouting about then instead of hitting return after return into the net even on second serves.

Tangerine, Tim will never win a Slam. He has no pressure in Australia, Paris and New York and look at his records there in the last 10 years. 2 semi finals in about 25-30 Slams. He doesn't even win regular ATP titles much, never mind Slams.

Aphex
06-24-2005, 06:51 PM
:lol: Hooligan Tim

NYCtennisfan
06-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Yikes but as Fee said, he's human. I bet he feels bad about it. The pressure finally got to him making him behave in ways he normally doesn't.

*Ljubica*
06-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Yikes but as Fee said, he's human. I bet he feels bad about it. The pressure finally got to him making him behave in ways he normally doesn't.

I agree. It was sad to see Tim out there yesterday - so totally out of character for him. I guess he finally realised his dream of winning Wimbledon was disintegrating before his eyes, and he just couldn't cope with his emotions - as people have said before - he is only human after all. The media here have always pressurised him and it has definately damaged his chances here at Wimbledon. I would love to see him come back next year and win - or maybe win another Slam - he deserves it.

joeb_uk
06-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Tim as known to be like that, its time he realised he is not good enough to win wimbledon. Looks like his career will be over soon.

Scotso
06-24-2005, 09:27 PM
On ESPN they said he told a ballgirl to get her "head out of her ass."

Not so nice.

NYCtennisfan
06-24-2005, 09:33 PM
No definitely not nice but I don't think that was Tim out there yesterday. It was guy who realized that he was never going to win Wimbledon or any other major. It was a guy who was going to be grilled by the media afterwards. It was guy who felt he let down a bunch of fans for so many years. That wasn't Tim out there. Has he publicly apologized?

Scotso
06-24-2005, 09:42 PM
It was Tim, I have the pictures to prove it :p

RodLo
06-24-2005, 09:45 PM
:shrug: Shit happens.

NYCtennisfan
06-24-2005, 09:58 PM
It was Tim, I have the pictures to prove it

OK.

nkhera1
06-24-2005, 11:29 PM
It was funny when he made a ball girl carry an umbrella for him whenever he sat down.

Fedex
06-24-2005, 11:36 PM
I agree. It was sad to see Tim out there yesterday - so totally out of character for him. I guess he finally realised his dream of winning Wimbledon was disintegrating before his eyes, and he just couldn't cope with his emotions - as people have said before - he is only human after all. The media here have always pressurised him and it has definately damaged his chances here at Wimbledon. I would love to see him come back next year and win - or maybe win another Slam - he deserves it.
I agree, Rosie. I remember last year after his QF loss, the Williams sisters' dad (Richard?) came out and spoke about how horrible the media treats him in England. Give the guy a break.

arcus
06-25-2005, 12:04 AM
I've badly wanted Tim to win at SW11 for years and I was rooting for him. I saw this and I was dissappointed, he acted like the ball kids were scum. He has had his moments elsewhere. Wasn't there a situation in a US hard courts tourny when he told a ball boy that he was to fat and slow to be working on the court....... The kids mother complained afterwards that it broke the kids heart....

I know that there is a lot of pressure on top players, but there is also a lot of $s. They earln a fortune for playing a game. IMHO, they least they can is not be unduely assholish.

I havent seen crap like that from Federer, so its possible to soak up the pressure and still act well. :-)

Minnie
06-25-2005, 12:29 AM
I have always felt very sorry for Tim and the mauling he has got from the British media. The ratpack seem to forget that he's the best tennis player we've had in over 70 years, he's been a consistent top 10-er and perhaps the real fault lies with the media and public who have simply placed too high an expectation on him. I can't quite fathom the attitude of tennis fans at Wimbledon: they only seem to really cheer when a player is "on the up" and go dead quiet when things aren't going so well which can only add to the tension a player is feeling. The pressure must have been unbearable for him, especially realising that he was not playing his best tennis and the time is running, or has run, out for him

NATAS81
06-25-2005, 12:39 AM
The pressure must have been unbearable for him, especially realising that he was not playing his best tennis and the time is running, or has run, out for him
Option B works best.

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-25-2005, 03:37 AM
In this thread, everyone's like, "It's okay Tim. Scream at ballgirls and make them cry. It's okay. You were having a bad day." But if Andy did that, and he never would, this thread would be to the moon

anyway, if Tim really did that, well, then, he's a dick!!!! But I will excuse it because I am cool

NATAS81
06-25-2005, 04:13 AM
Mrs. Guga, may I ask what the purpose of your signature stems from? Was it about the play suspended from yesterday's match w/Bracciali? Thanks.

As for Henman, he has enormous pressure put on him in the media. Wasn't there a thread with a poll on here asking people's opinons on his representation of British tennis? The poll was a landslide in favor of Tim as a positive face of British tennis for the past 10 years.

star
06-25-2005, 04:18 AM
Gawd, he's human.

I do my job around children, and I've managed never to curse at a single one of them. There's no excuse at all for cursing at a child.

Also I don't curse at the people I work with either. Sure I've used curse words at work, but I haven't cursed at my co-workers. I've been in many pressure filled situations and haven't cursed. It's just a matter of training and self control. I curse like a sailor on my own time and when talking to friends.

Skyward
06-25-2005, 04:30 AM
Henman= smartass3. Federer and Roddick are battling for the top spot.

Leo
06-25-2005, 04:48 AM
He's been complaining the entire tournament.

morningglory
06-25-2005, 05:05 AM
It's Lights Out for you TIm.
Your hill has been turned into Murray's mount.
You've no fans, no slams, no class, nothing to show for.
Enjoy your inevitable retirement as an 'only' several time Slam semifinalist.
Let's go Andys M and R !!!

YoursTruly
06-25-2005, 06:35 AM
I watched the match and it was painful both in play and Tim's behaviour. Tim, what happened?! I thought he was Mr. Nice Guy. Also, it was totally not "upper Brit" of him. But it's understandable in a way because he was frustrated, he was under too much pressure as always and I think it was more than just having trouble in the match, I think it was also bitterness at how he can't win Wimbledon. Tim's shots and volleys were not how he does it, too many careless errors. And I also noticed the whole "get me a coke" moment. Coke during a match?

holagirl56
06-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Henman= smartass3. Federer and Roddick are battling for the top spot.

And how exactly is Federer battling with Roddick?

As for Tim, it was a bad day. I've had those. But I agree, there is no excuse for his behavior. I just think that the longer he was out there, the more irritated he got.

But I do believe that he'll win a Wimbledon. Probably when the British press isn't looking.

Doggy
06-25-2005, 09:55 PM
Henman is too hot for ball kids to handle

Skyward
06-25-2005, 10:02 PM
And how exactly is Federer battling with Roddick?

Ahem, not all posts are meant to be serious. See the other thread about Roddick being smartass#1. :p

deliveryman
06-26-2005, 12:34 AM
Who cares? I tell kids to "fuck off" all the time. Seems to work well, and it really does get the point across.

holagirl56
06-26-2005, 03:41 AM
Ahem, not all posts are meant to be serious. See the other thread about Roddick being smartass#1. :p

Right...

Poljud
06-26-2005, 04:44 AM
Who cares? I tell kids to "fuck off" all the time. Seems to work well, and it really does get the point across.

Does abusing children make you feel big? Get a life you loser...

Ive met Tim before, he was about to play his semifinal match and was walking to the courts, but when me and my friends asked for his autograph he was a gentleman, signed autographs and spoke politely.

Of course all people get angry at one stage or another, i dont think it can be swept under the carpet, but i can see why he did it - too much pressure.

Tracy_Ace
06-26-2005, 05:55 AM
If there are 3 things professional players must be able to do it is play well, impress the media, and be able to handle the pressures of their sport. Playing well I'll give him that just because of his ranking, not because of his performance. Due to his inability to never become the top player in the world or simply just win wimbledon (very simple indeed), he will never impress internation media and will let down british media. As we have seen from this incident he can't handle the pressure of where he is at and needs to learn how to better restrain himself. Federer is at the top of the game, with more pressure to win then anyone out there, and the worst I've seen from his was fracture a racquet. Henmen either needs to grow up and rise to Safins level of maturity or ship out.

Experimentee
06-26-2005, 04:43 PM
I didnt see this match, but I would have loved to have seen this! Poor from Henman. I dont care how much pressure he has, he's been handling it all his career and someone of his experience should know what not to do. His great performances over the years are helped by the crowd support, so its disgraceful to abuse them like that. Its good that he apologised afterwards though, but it was under pressure from the media.

World Beater
06-26-2005, 05:31 PM
If ppl think henman isnt a gentleman, wait till they get familiar with the hooligan murray

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 07:12 PM
If ppl think henman isnt a gentleman, wait till they get familiar with the hooligan murray
:lol: He does actually seem the quiet nerdy looking type (murray) but i hear he isnt like that :D