Nadal, "My ambition now, until the day I die, is to win Wimbledon." [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal, "My ambition now, until the day I die, is to win Wimbledon."

deliveryman
06-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Nadal Pledges to Win Wimbledon

AFP/ O.Andersen

Thursday, 23 June, 2005

The agony of defeat was clearly etched on Rafael Nadal's face as he strode to the net for the traditional end-of-match handshake with his vanquisher. It remained there as he strode off court to wild applause, waving to the crowd which had taken him to their hearts.

With his shoulder-length black hair held in place by a bandana, rippling muscles, and sleeveless shirt, it isn't surprising that Nadal has set a lot of teenage and matronly hearts pulsating this week. Not since the early 1970s when Bjorn Borg strode the hallowed lawns of the AELTC, has a teenager attracted so much attention.

Nadal, the French Open champion, may well have been disappointed but at no point since his arrival had he prophesised that, even as the fourth seed, he should be considered a contender. In years to come perhaps but not this year. As Nadal himself said before the match, "There are better players here like Federer, Hewitt, Henman and Roddick. Every match here is difficult, and while I think I am playing good on grass, I know every match is different."

But the signs are that he is a quick learner and frankly, there can be little doubt that this 19-year-old from Mallorca will emulate the great Swede and win both the French and Wimbledon in the same year. He could even go one stage further and collect the US Open title, a feat Borg, much to his frustration, never achieved.

Having accepted his fate, the usually fierce looking youngster was all smiles, cheekily admitting that he needs to improve 'some things' and listed them as follows: "I am improving myself. I think when I improve a lot of myself, I can win a lot of matches here because I am fast. I need to improve my volley; I need to improve my serve: I need to improve my confidence with the game on grass. And for that I need to play a lot of matches." He added through an interpreter, "I need to play more, train more. This used to happen to me two years ago on clay. I think that when you are developing, you are evolving, you learn to live the moment."

It wasn't surprising to then learn that he declared in his native tongue, "My ambition now, until the day I die, is to win Wimbledon." That day will surely come

-----------

lol, good luck. ;)

I normally can't stand Nadal. He usually fuels my fire of hatred for him. But I must admit, at least he isn't pulling a Safin saying stuff like, "I give up. Grass is stupid... I hate it." Such strong words for a 19 year old.

Do I think he's going to do it? No.

Yoel and co.
06-24-2005, 11:57 AM
:yeah:

Deivid23
06-24-2005, 12:00 PM
Didnt have to read that, it was clear in my mind since I saw his face when Muller won the last point in the match.

star
06-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Nadal is like a breath of fresh air in the game. It's good to hear he hasn't given up on grass.

But this is so strange to me: "He usually fuels my fire of hatred for him." I can't see anything about the kid that would inspire hatred.

Castafiore
06-24-2005, 12:09 PM
I normally can't stand Nadal. He usually fuels my fire of hatred for him. But I must admit, at least he isn't pulling a Safin saying stuff like, "I give up. Grass is stupid... I hate it." Such strong words for a 19 year old.

I love the passion Nadal shows for tennis even on a surface that he has yet to master. He likes to play this sport and it shows! I love it. I can admire a player who can hide his emotions but I prefer the openly passionate players.

Also, I don't quite get why people get so annoyed by Hewitt. In some cases, I can understand: for example when he celebrates an error by an opponent even if he has a comfortable lead of 5-2 and sometimes he has a huge chip on his shoulders. That's annoying but in general, I don't really have a problem with his attitude. He's a fighter and that's often fun to watch.
Remember that match in the USO against Sampras with a very, very hostile public against Hewitt? You could see Hewitt grit his teeth and get motivated through all that hostility. It was fun seeing that and win it all in front of a :mad: public.

Safin? I like his interviews. A couple of days ago, they asked him after his first match if he was still a member of the 'I hate grass' club. Safin muttered with his head down: "Yeah, I'm still there". :)

MrTibbs
06-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Also, I don't quite get why people get so annoyed by Hewitt. In some cases, I can understand: for example when he celebrates an error by an opponent even if he has a comfortable lead of 5-2 and sometimes he has a huge chip on his shoulders. That's annoying but in general, I don't really have a problem with his attitude. He's a fighter and that's often fun to watch.

You said it yourself: Celebrating unforced errors by his opponents; heres some other examples:

- That incident with James Blake in the 2001 Us Open
- Needlessly heckling the lines judge when he correctly called a foot fault on Hewitts serve in the Aussie opens this year
- Bumping into Nalbandian during a net changeover (not sure this was deliberate but it followed several UE celebrations creating a delicate atmosphere in which he should have known better)

I believe it was after this last episode that Nalbandian remarked of him "He's not a gentleman". Other players Safin, Federer etc don't seem to have a problem with it.

Funny thing is up until the Aussie Open this year I used to like him for all the reasons you mention - gutsy fighter with attitude, bringing much needed personality to the tour etc.

However his behaviour there really put me off - I heard he even got bad press in Aus. I suppose you have to give some allowance considering he was playing at Home.

His attitude at Wimbledon seems more toned down - e.g. celebrating at the right time - lets hope hes taken on board some of the criticism.

LaTenista
06-24-2005, 01:20 PM

Let me guess, you're a Fed fan? Prefer cool to fiery on court? ;) Trust me Nadal is more mature mentally than the average 19 year old.

If Agassi & Hewitt could both manage to win Wimby, I don't see how hard it is to imagine Nadal victorious at the All-England Club. The hardening of the grass courts is going to make his goal a little bit easier as well.

I have to admire Nadal for his determination - knowing what he wants and going after it. He's got the will so all he has to work on is the way.

Experimentee
06-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Nadal just doesnt have the game to win Wimbledon. I was hoping he'd beat Muller but he has a lot of weaknesses on grass. He needs to improve his serve a lot, and his topspin forehand was just sitting up waiting to be hit. His net play isnt great either. I dont think he will win it, but if he improves he can make the QF. I admire his determination and I hope he will do better in the future.

Geniey2g
06-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Nadal is like a breath of fresh air in the game. It's good to hear he hasn't given up on grass.

But this is so strange to me: "He usually fuels my fire of hatred for him." I can't see anything about the kid that would inspire hatred.
I was just about to say this. What is there to hate about Rafael?

MisterQ
06-24-2005, 02:49 PM
But the signs are that he is a quick learner and frankly, there can be little doubt that this 19-year-old from Mallorca will emulate the great Swede and win both the French and Wimbledon in the same year.

That's quite a bold statement by this journalist. I would like to see him do it, but there can be plenty of doubt about that, even if Nadal IS an amazing player. We'll have to wait and see how his game improves on grass, and if he can retain his dominance on clay against the other players.

Jim Jones
06-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Does that mean he will play on the senior tour at Wimbledon hoping to win it? ;)

victory1
06-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Wow, he wants this tournament badly, so I hope he gets it. I love when people are willing to work hard for the things they want. Plus I hate a failure attidude, so Nadal is a breath of fresh air. Go Nadal with your badself, prove them wrong and win Wimbledon someday soon!!!

Aurora
06-24-2005, 03:45 PM
That's quite a bold statement by this journalist. Indeed, I couldn't help but frown immensely at the "certainty" he has about it. Winning Wimbledon alone is not easy, not by far (not even thinking about the double). And the way that Rafa hits the ball leads me far from certainty. Seems like the press is quite desperate in building up Rafa beyond what he is now to the ULtimate Challenger of Fed.

I'm keeping it to "the possibilty to win it" and I'm curious as hell to see this exciting player develop even further!

NYCtennisfan
06-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Didnt have to read that, it was clear in my mind since I saw his face when Muller won the last point in the match.

That's so true. He looked so sad and dissapointed which means he truly does want to win at Wimbledon unlike so many French champs of the past. He knows to be considered great, he is going to have to win on the fast surface GS.

NATAS81
06-24-2005, 04:29 PM
gl to him

Has the potential, the movement on his side.

Needs a little better serve, a little more pop, better placement to compete.

Other than serve, there is no reason why he cannot advance to at least SF next year barring a reasonable draw involving a minimum big servers.

NicoFan
06-24-2005, 04:29 PM
I hope he gets it too - but would rather he concentrate on the hardcourts. Grass season is only for 4 weeks - clay and hardcourts are the two main surfaces. He's the king of clay right now - would rather see him try to conquer the hardcourts first before the grass. Much more important if he wants to get to #1.

LaTenista
06-24-2005, 04:34 PM
I hope he gets it too - but would rather he concentrate on the hardcourts. Grass season is only for 4 weeks - clay and hardcourts are the two main surfaces. He's the king of clay right now - would rather see him try to conquer the hardcourts first before the grass. Much more important if he wants to get to #1.

Well said. Which is why I'm hoping any day now Nadal will see the light and scrap the European clay court plan this summer and comes over to America to compete on hard so he's got a decent shot of doing well at Montreal, Cincy, and the USO.

ys
06-24-2005, 04:36 PM
The young man clearly understands true values of the sport. But he has a lot of work to do..

RodLo
06-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Have I mentioned how much I love Nadal? :yeah:

Dirk
06-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Nadal will have to make changes in his game and make those changes well enough to beat the best on grass. He has to do the same for the summer hard season (playing on clay before the hardmasters is not a good idea) and the USO is even faster than this. Richard actually has the game to compete at all the slams right now. He just has to do the hard work and improve his game but he doesn't need to change anything.

DDrago2
06-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Nadal Pledges to Win Wimbledon
But the signs are that he is a quick learner and frankly, there can be little doubt that this 19-year-old from Mallorca will emulate the great Swede and win both the French and Wimbledon in the same year. He could even go one stage further and collect the US Open title, a feat Borg, much to his frustration, never achieved.

Now this is what you call HYPE. Nadal is player that is very interesting to watch, but as in the case of Roddick, this sort of media attention that he gets is exactly what is turning me off from him. It is very unfair to state something like this for Nadal. Nalbaldian for example, was Wimbledon finalist, US and Rolland Garros semifinalist, and was several times in AO quarter-finals - and he gets no attention, they always put him on least important courts... Very unfair. It is hard not to have something against Nadal in this moment.

NicoFan
06-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Well said. Which is why I'm hoping any day now Nadal will see the light and scrap the European clay court plan this summer and comes over to America to compete on hard so he's got a decent shot of doing well at Montreal, Cincy, and the USO.

I've questioned the logic behind remaining on clay in Europe too - seems like a bad decision for he and his team to make.

He may take some early hits on the hardcourts until he re-acclimates himself to the surface, but it would be worth it if he is in full gear by the master series events and the US Open.

But just my humble opinion. ;)

rofe
06-24-2005, 04:50 PM
That's quite a bold statement by this journalist. I would like to see him do it, but there can be plenty of doubt about that, even if Nadal IS an amazing player. We'll have to wait and see how his game improves on grass, and if he can retain his dominance on clay against the other players.

I agree, defending wins has to be very difficult. We have to see first if he can defend his clay titles next year then think about Wimbledon.

Geniey2g
06-24-2005, 09:19 PM
I've questioned the logic behind remaining on clay in Europe too - seems like a bad decision for he and his team to make.

He may take some early hits on the hardcourts until he re-acclimates himself to the surface, but it would be worth it if he is in full gear by the master series events and the US Open.

I agree.
Why are there clay court tournaments after the grass season and before the US Hardcourts? :scratch: Makes zero sense to me...

Scotso
06-24-2005, 09:20 PM
And you'll do it, Rafa :D

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Now this is what you call HYPE. Nadal is player that is very interesting to watch, but as in the case of Roddick, this sort of media attention that he gets is exactly what is turning me off from him. It is very unfair to state something like this for Nadal. Nalbaldian for example, was Wimbledon finalist, US and Rolland Garros semifinalist, and was several times in AO quarter-finals - and he gets no attention, they always put him on least important courts... Very unfair. It is hard not to have something against Nadal in this moment.
I don't disagree that the Borg comparisons are totally absurd, but so is a Nalbandian comaprison. Nalbandian is consistent in slams, but has scraped together all of three titles in his career - less than Rafa has this season. Nalbandian also has 4 years on him. There should be no question as to why Rafa gets more attention than Nalbandian. :shrug:

(Mind you, Nalbandian got little respect when he made the Wimbledon final at 20)

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2005, 09:24 PM
I agree.
Why are there clay court tournaments after the grass season and before the US Hardcourts? :scratch: Makes zero sense to me...
Why are there hardcourt tournaments after Australia and before clay season? Why is there a grasscourt tournament AFTER Wimbledon?

Nacho
06-24-2005, 09:24 PM
his serve will get better and better as time goes by, so he will have many more chances in the future

superpinkone37
06-24-2005, 09:26 PM
I think Rafa can do it. Probably not in the next few years...but he is still only 19. He has a long time to achieve that goal, and he will :)

deliveryman
06-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Saying that Nadal will win wimbledon is on par with saying Roddick will win the French.

And if you want my honest opinion: I think Roddick has a better chance at RG than Nadal at Wimbledon.

You can bring the same argument with every player... "Roddick is only 22 years old, he can improve his game, etc. etc."

Nadal will never win Wimbledon, unless he completely revamps his game.

Scotso
06-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Saying that Nadal will win wimbledon is on par with saying Roddick will win the French.

Not even close. Roddick has no chance to win the French. None.

Nadal does have a chance to win Wimbledon.

deliveryman
06-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Not even close. Roddick has no chance to win the French. None.

Nadal does have a chance to win Wimbledon.

lol, as it stands right now. Nadal has absolutely NO CHANCE whatsoever to win wimbledon.

Have you seen him play on grass or are you just blind?

Scotso
06-24-2005, 09:45 PM
I saw it. Once he beefs up his serve he'll have a good chance.

He's 18 years old. His serve will improve.

Need we mention that he had little time to prepare for grass due to winning almost every clay event he entered?

NYCtennisfan
06-24-2005, 10:05 PM
As of this minute, they have equally no chance to win. Nadal has a lot more things he can improve and has more time. If Roddick ever improved his BH then he would have a chance at RG.

deliveryman
06-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Do we need to mention Nadal failing to win 2 matches on grass this season?

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Comparing his long term chances at Wimbledon with Roddick's at RG is a tad bit silly. Nadal has stated his intentions and even wants to build a (better?) grasscourt in his home town, if I read correctly. I haven't seen that interest or determination from Roddick to perform on clay. Not to knock Roddick, I'm just saying. In terms of desire, we're comparing apples and oranges. And desire counts for a lot. Maybe not enough, as Lendl could attest to, but a lot.

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Do we need to mention Nadal failing to win 2 matches on grass this season?
If this was supposed to refute KBF's point, me thinks you need to read his post again. And then possibly a few more times after that.

deliveryman
06-24-2005, 10:14 PM
Roddick has indicated many, many times that he really wants to do well at RG.

vincayou
06-24-2005, 10:15 PM
If this was supposed to refute KBF's point, me thinks you need to read his post again. And then possibly a few more times after that.

:lol:

Scotso
06-24-2005, 10:16 PM
That's nice dear.

deliveryman
06-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Oh please. Give me a break. "Lack of preparation," isn't an excuse to being unable to win more than 1 match on grass.

And if you want my honest opinion, if Spadea wasn't injured, Nadal would've kissed another 1st round exit.

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Roddick has indicated many, many times that he really wants to do well at RG.
By doing what, exactly? Skipping Monte Carlo so that he can play Houston? Playing a grand total of two claycourt tournaments in Europe against the "big boys" before getting beat down at RG? :shrug:

I don't doubt that he would like to go better than a round or two at RG, but I don't see him talking about this goal or planning to act on it like Nadal does with Wimbledon. Nadal played a grass warmup THREE DAYS after winning his first grandslam. At 19, he would have been forgiven for taking a week off to party.

Scotso
06-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Oh please. Give me a break. "Lack of preparation," isn't an excuse to being unable to win more than 1 match on grass.

You're such a troll. Maybe you should give us a reason why Nadal can't win Wimbledon?

You know, Roddick hasn't won it either.

deliveryman
06-24-2005, 10:22 PM
You do realize Roddick grew up in Texas. Maybe that tournament has a bit of a sentimental meaning, ever think of that?

Why does Hewitt play in Adelaide?
Why does Roger play in Basel?

Fedex
06-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Its good to see that he wants to win on all surfaces, and will make the effort to become a more complete player.

deliveryman
06-24-2005, 10:25 PM
You're such a troll. Maybe you should give us a reason why Nadal can't win Wimbledon?

You know, Roddick hasn't won it either.

I'm a troll? I'm not the one averaging over 20 posts a day. :haha:

Wouldn't pointing out the fact that Roddick hasn't won wimbledon only strengthen my point. Seeing as how Roddick is the second best grasscourt player on tour, and EVEN he hasn't won Wimbledon. So what makes you think someone who couldn't play on grass if his life depended on it can win it? I love your logic.

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2005, 10:25 PM
You do realize Roddick grew up in Texas. Maybe that tournament has a bit of a sentimental meaning, ever think of that?

Why does Hewitt play in Adelaide?
Why does Roger play in Basel?

You're missing the point if you think those two tournaments and players are comparable to Roddick's position at RG.

Sigh.

I retire. You are a dumbass troll who I should be laughing at, not reasoning with.

Happy trolling :wavey:

Fedex
06-24-2005, 10:26 PM
I saw it. Once he beefs up his serve he'll have a good chance.

He's 18 years old. His serve will improve.

Need we mention that he had little time to prepare for grass due to winning almost every clay event he entered?
Yes, I agree with the serve. He needs to improve the, and his court positioning on grass can obviously use some work. Once he does these, though, he will be dangerous.

vincayou
06-24-2005, 10:27 PM
I think that Roddick tries to improve on clay, I even think he has this year even if it didn't show up in the results.
One year, maybe, if there is an easy draw and a good alignment of planet, he'll have a shot at a final in RG like Henman(almost), Edberg and Stich have had, but nothing more.

deliveryman
06-24-2005, 10:30 PM
You're missing the point if you think those two tournaments and players are comparable to Roddick's position at RG.

Sigh.

I retire. You are a dumbass troll who I should be laughing at, not reasoning with.

Happy trolling :wavey:

Aww. Resorting to personal attacks now?

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2005, 10:32 PM
"You are a dumbass troll" is no more of an attack than saying "your username is deliveryman" is. I merely point out the obvious. Sometimes the obvious hurts.

deliveryman
06-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Chloe, please stop. You're breaking my heart... really.

Deivid23
06-24-2005, 10:36 PM
As of this minute, they have equally no chance to win. Nadal has a lot more things he can improve and has more time. If Roddick ever improved his BH then he would have a chance at RG.

Roddick has absolutely no chance at winning Roland Garros, even making deep in the draw, Id say. Those who say this must either stop drinking or watch more Roddick on clay to realize :shrug:

Nadal will surprise all those who think hes a mug on faster courts sooner or later. For us who know the kid since he was 15, its unbelievable the kind of progress he makes every year, so I have no reason to think this will stop here. Enjoy while u can thinking Nadal cant play on fast courts, it wont last long, fellas ;)

mitalidas
06-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Nadal will surprise all those who think hes a mug on faster courts sooner or later. For those who know the kid since he was 15, its unbelievable the kind of progress he makes every year, so I have no reason to think this will stop here. Enjoy while u can thinking Nadal canplayer on fast courts, it wont last long, fellas ;)

he will improve but he's not going to improve at the rate he has since he was 15. moreover, other players are going to improve as well so his relative position may not change a whole heap from where he is now

deliveryman
06-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Roddick has absolutely no chance at winning Roland Garros, even making deep in the draw, Id say. Those who say this must either stop drinking or watch more Roddick on clay to realize :shrug:

Nadal will surprise all those who think hes a mug on faster courts sooner or later. For us who know the kid since he was 15,

Yes, I'm sure you and Nadal go way back. Let me guess, you guys call eachother by a first name basis. You are the one always calling his cellphone during press conferences. Tell Rafa I said hi. :rolleyes:

Deivid23
06-24-2005, 10:47 PM
he will improve but he's not going to improve at the rate he has since he was 15. moreover, other players are going to improve as well so his relative position may not change a whole heap from where he is now

Disagree, but I have a huge advantage here cause I know him better than u, I think your thought is logical but imo it wont apply to Nadal, I bet youll be surprised when in a couple of years he will be a true contender for titles on fast courts. Time will give reasons, anyway.

Deivid23
06-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Yes, I'm sure you and Nadal go way back. Let me guess, you guys call eachother by a first name basis. You are the one always calling his cellphone during press conferences. Tell Rafa I said hi. :rolleyes:

Deivid: Hey Rafa, its the troll on the phone, he says youre mug on grass

Nadal: Ive been kicked out on 2nd round, I think hes right, no?

Deivid: yes, Rafa, maybe you cant play on grass, its so obvious for many people...

Nadal: I hate to lose this early, but it wont happen again, mark my words. I know what I have to work on and be sure Ill try as hard as u can imagine.

Deivid: Ok Rafa, I hope so, cu

ys
06-24-2005, 10:56 PM
Roddick has absolutely no chance at winning Roland Garros, even making deep in the draw, Id say.

I agree. It is obvious. The guy's game has just one weapon. Nothing else. If that weapon is taken out by the surface, what can he do? Sampras at his prime had infinitely more chance to win RG than Roddick will ever have.

shaoyu
06-24-2005, 11:45 PM
I think some of you guys should spare Roddick. To be fair, Roddick has shown in the past year that he has become dangerous on clay to almost any clay specialist. I have to admit to this fact even though I don't like his game. So I think he does have some slight chance at RG now like Sampras used to have.

rue
06-24-2005, 11:52 PM
He is only 19 years of age. Its not like he won his first grandslam at the age of 25 and time is running out for him to win Wimbledon. I believe that one day he will win it. I mean, this was only his second time at Wimbledon and he has barely played on grass. He can take something positive away from this defeat and continue to improve on his serve and on his volleys.

roberta
06-25-2005, 12:08 AM
He is only 19 years of age. Its not like he won his first grandslam at the age of 25 and time is running out for him to win Wimbledon. I believe that one day he will win it. I mean, this was only his second time at Wimbledon and he has barely played on grass. He can take something positive away from this defeat and continue to improve on his serve and on his volleys.

i agree with you!!!

rafa will win wimbledon!!! im pretty sure......hes just 19!! hes so young....and heve just begun!!!!!,and hes an amazing tennis player!! :worship: :angel: ;) :yeah: :hug:

but roddick.........win rg???!!!!! :confused: :unsure: :cuckoo: :silly: :tape: .........NOOOO!!!!!!! :haha: :dance: :yippee: IMPOSSIBLE!!!! :p

jacobhiggins
06-25-2005, 12:31 AM
I think Nadal is a very good young player, but I really don't think he is an all surface player. He might become one but I don't think he will ever be as dominate on other surfaces as he is on clay. He is only 19 so he has a lot of time to improve, but there's better grass court players out there and then there's also Federer. Nadal has some hype to him but he is a grandslam winner so he's one of the top players at the moment, but his success on other surfaces besides clay really isn't that impressive!

NATAS81
06-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Nadal has some hype to him but he is a grandslam winner so he's one of the top players at the moment, but his success on other surfaces besides clay really isn't that impressive!
His FH, BH work well on any surface so those will excel quite well on the hardcourts. I look for him to have a dramatically better hardcourt season than grass.

He can get away with the topspin forehand, plus the grass takes away the spin of it, which is his best weapon off the ground. More spin results in more errors from the opponent.

jacobhiggins
06-25-2005, 01:27 AM
I think he'll play better on hardcourts too, but there's a few hardcourt players that are better then him. His points were mostly from his best surface, clay, now the clay season is over and we are seeing the results!

Chloe le Bopper
06-25-2005, 03:55 AM
Disagree, but I have a huge advantage here cause I know him better than u, I think your thought is logical but imo it wont apply to Nadal, I bet youll be surprised when in a couple of years he will be a true contender for titles on fast courts. Time will give reasons, anyway.

:yeah:

Deivid: Hey Rafa, its the troll on the phone, he says youre mug on grass

Nadal: Ive been kicked out on 2nd round, I think hes right, no?

Deivid: yes, Rafa, maybe you cant play on grass, its so obvious for many people...

Nadal: I hate to lose this early, but it wont happen again, mark my words. I know what I have to work on and be sure Ill try as hard as u can imagine.

Deivid: Ok Rafa, I hope so, cu

:haha:

World Beater
06-25-2005, 04:30 AM
i saw federer at 18, and his serve was much better than nadal's at 18. Federer's serve is now one of the best. To say that nadal's serve will improve to those lengths is unlikely. He can develop his serve to that of Hewitt's level though.

On faster courts he needs to use his spin sparingly and flatten out his fh much more. I saw him play against roddick, and his spin was as good then. The ball sat up for roddick to flatten his fh time and time again.

I think roddick will have one good run at RG before he retires. This year he was up two sets and lost. Its not like he was blown off the court.

morningglory
06-25-2005, 04:49 AM
Rafa is a Spaniard and a dirtballer, people, people.
Let's put it into a good perspective here.
To win wimby he'll have to break a curse that has been damned on his kind for half a decade, plus his passively defensive chicken-hearted game doesn't give him the slightest prospect of it.
However this kid's got talent, and still with many years to come... He'll win USO eventually

vincayou
06-25-2005, 09:33 AM
The main problem of Nadal is that right now, there are very good grass specialist, one especially. He'll have to wait Federer to get older or have a loss of form but that's true for every player out there.

He can improve, but the capacity to win Wimbledon does not only depend on your own quality but on the quality of your opponents. Henman was good enough to win Wimbledon, but was stopped years in years out by Sampras then Federer.
And there are other young guns who have the same will to win Wimbledon.

And I think that Nadal should have done better right this year. I was expecting more.

Black Adam
06-25-2005, 09:46 AM
I Also fancy his chances at AO

Nene
06-25-2005, 09:56 AM
I was so touched when I heard this...yeah surely he can do it ;)

LaTenista
06-25-2005, 02:00 PM

Nadal's 2004 summer hard results: 1st round lost at Toronto, 1st round lost at Cincy (to Chela, in a 3rd set tiebreak - I was there :eek: ) and then he got schooled by Roddick in the 2nd round I believe at USO.

Regardless of how much he has improved since then, I don't see how his team (or himself) can't realize that unless he gets in some matches on the surface, he may very well have similar results this year. Can't just assume the other players are going to choke against him. Besides, think of all the extra English practice he'd be getting.....

LaTenista
06-25-2005, 02:17 PM
And if you want my honest opinion, if Spadea wasn't injured, Nadal would've kissed another 1st round exit.

No disrespect to Spadea, but his results at Wimbledon are nothing to write home about. Last year was the first time he made it past the 2nd round.

Second, in their only prior meeting Spadea defeated Nadal in 3 sets at Madrid. So Rafa is not going to forget that loss in his home country. Look at the way he brings it every time he plays Gasquet - simply because the first time they played on tour Rafa had to retire against him. I think Nadal would have beaten an uninjured Spadea as well.

njnetswill
06-25-2005, 05:09 PM
I think Nadal has the talent to do well on any surface.lt's just a matter of spending time working on how to develop his game so that it is better suited for grass and hard courts.

Chloe le Bopper
06-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Nadal's 2004 summer hard results: 1st round lost at Toronto, 1st round lost at Cincy (to Chela, in a 3rd set tiebreak - I was there :eek: ) and then he got schooled by Roddick in the 2nd round I believe at USO.

Regardless of how much he has improved since then, I don't see how his team (or himself) can't realize that unless he gets in some matches on the surface, he may very well have similar results this year. Can't just assume the other players are going to choke against him. Besides, think of all the extra English practice he'd be getting.....
Nadal will get better draws this year based on his high seeding. No more Lleyton Hewitt in round 1 and no more Roddick in round 2 certainly wont' hurt his results.

Sam L (WTAW)
06-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Looks like he'll turn into the male "Navratilova" except, he won't have 9 Wimbledons. He'll have zero.

Chloe le Bopper
06-25-2005, 05:26 PM
That was a profoundly stupid thing to say, Sam dear.

deliveryman
06-25-2005, 05:31 PM
That was a profoundly stupid thing to say, Sam dear.

Why, because it's true?

njnetswill
Looks like he'll turn into the male "Navratilova" except, he won't have 9 Wimbledons. He'll have zero.

What?! That makes no sense.

Chloe le Bopper
I know, eh?

deliveryman
06-25-2005, 05:37 PM
What?! That makes no sense.

That's the point.

Chloe le Bopper
06-25-2005, 05:40 PM
Just for future reference:

Unread Today, 12:37 PM
Remove user from ignore list
deliveryman
This message is hidden because deliveryman is on your ignore list.

I will occasionally read your posts, because stupid trolling is actually funny once in a blue moon. But you rarely are, and i don't come in the internet to argue with children. Usually. Regardless, you ought to know that if you make a habit of addressing my posts, I won't usually see it.

Happy trolling :kiss:

deliveryman
06-25-2005, 05:43 PM
lol. Well if you happen to read this post, I have 3 words for you:

I DON'T CARE

Now go make me a taco.

Blondie1985
05-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Sorry but federer is light years away from nadal...
10GS x 2GS
LOL

RagingLamb
05-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Good luck. I hope he does win it some day.

A_Skywalker
05-08-2007, 10:40 PM
10GS x 2GS
LOL

OF course Nadal is still baby and he will win many more for sure, so dont worry ;)

Jimnik
05-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Well, as long as they keep finding ways to make the grass even slower, there's always a chance. At the current rate, the grass at Wimby will be as slow as the clay at RG within a few years.

Just Cause
05-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Well, as long as they keep finding ways to make the grass even slower, there's always a chance. At the current rate, the grass at Wimby will be as slow as the clay at RG within a few years.

If they make grass any faster, Roger Federer will have no chance against Roddick.
Roger should feel lucky about that cuz wimbledon made grass a lot slower since 2001.

guga2120
05-09-2007, 12:09 AM

:silly:
thats a terrible comparsion considering how average Andy is on clay. I agree as long as Roger is around it will be hard for Rafa, or anybody, do anything at Wimbledon, but he has Much better chance to win than does Roddick to make the QF's even of the FO.

nobama
05-09-2007, 12:14 AM
If they make grass any faster, Roger Federer will have no chance against Roddick.
Roger should feel lucky about that cuz wimbledon made grass a lot slower since 2001.:retard:

Marek.
05-09-2007, 01:44 AM
:silly:
thats a terrible comparsion considering how average Andy is on clay. I agree as long as Roger is around it will be hard for Rafa, or anybody, do anything at Wimbledon, but he has Much better chance to win than does Roddick to make the QF's even of the FO.

To be fair, that post was from 2005, right after Nadal lost in the second or third round of Wimbledon.

Johnny Groove
05-09-2007, 01:45 AM
10GS x 2GS
LOL

Too bad slam count has nothing to do with this thread :retard: Idiot :rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
05-09-2007, 02:38 AM

It was soooo nice. Gilles Muller, what an amazing player. :haha:

gl to him

Has the potential, the movement on his side.

Needs a little better serve, a little more pop, better placement to compete.

Other than serve, there is no reason why he cannot advance to at least SF next year barring a reasonable draw involving a minimum big servers.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

10GS x 2GS
LOL

So true.

OF course Nadal is still baby and he will win many more for sure, so dont worry ;)

Many more what? RG?

Forehander
05-09-2007, 09:32 AM
he just have to change his strokes a bit and his volleys aren't too bad at all. Yeh i reckon he has a chance. But that would be when Roger retires or starts playing rubbish tennis though.

Castafiore
05-09-2007, 10:13 AM
10GS x 2GS
LOL

:lol:

You bumped up a 2 year old thread for this?