Won't someone bridge the gap?! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Won't someone bridge the gap?!

Auscon
06-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Gotta love the gaping disparity between the top and bottom half of the draws thus far...

It's kindof depressing breaking it all down.....especially the bottom half of the draw. So many top guys who just arent playing the tennis theyre capable of, and plenty of guys who were great leading up to Wimbledon, but all shutdown once things got underway.

Top seeds of each half of the draw aside...

Fighting for it in the top half is an onfire and brimming with confidence Safin, Lleyton, who will be strong no matter how long he's had out of the game, Ancic, who is going fine, and a Joachim who's pulled his socks up after a poor grass prewimby. And the rest of the names arent exactly chump change...Ferrero, Dent, Gonzalez, Youzhny, Kiefer, Lopez.

Of the main challengers to depart;

Hrbaty, well no surprise seeing as its his least favoured surface, Davydenko, injury, I thought he couldve gone ok here, but still has only 1 win on grass, so again no real surprise, and Flip, who had to play Safin, and is far from his best, so surprise surprise, yet again no surprises. Pretty much everyone who should be in is still in.

Meanwhile, challenging for it in the bottom half you've got Nalbandian, who's not near his best, Grosjean, who's not near his best, Mirnyi, who is playing a slam so dont get your hopes up, Coria, who's on his least favoured surface, Gasquet, who's going well but is still very much an outsider, Popp who is out of form and hadnt even won an atp match this year until Wimbledon, Tojo who isnt on his fav surface and is also not near his best, and as it seems, Murray who's going ok, but has bugger all experience here.

Of the main challengers to depart;

Karlovic, brilliant prewimby grass results, but Bracciali seems to have his number, Haas, injury, SF at Halle, made Roger work for his win, Stepanek, SF at Queens, took a set off of Roddick, and gets booted out pretty meekly here, Rafa, no grass champion here (yet), Henman, his worst Wimbledon for something like 9yrs, cheated death once but couldnt twice, Ljubicic, he was playing a grand slam, Soderling, pushes Fed to the brink one week, out in R1 the next.

I just hope some of these guys in the bottom half can lift, give Roddick at least some sort of test, because I want to see a competitive final, and if he ends up there against Roger again, without having had even a remotely tough match, I don't like the chances of seeing much of an exciting final.

Clara Bow
06-23-2005, 07:29 PM
I think that Gasquet could be a real force here. It seems like in the past month or so he has started to "lock in" to his play. He could end up being the story of tournament.

Haven't seen any of Nalby play yet but the scorelines indicate that he is pretty solid so far (thank the lord!)

And of course my pipe dream-never-going-to-happen scenario is that Coria helps to put some dissappointing months behind him by having a strong showing here. He has always said that to be considered a great player one needs to have success on multiple surfaces- so the desire is there. Speaking of Coria, am I having a brain fart or didn't he reach the quarters of the USO one year?

mitalidas
06-23-2005, 07:29 PM
this is what happens when the head honchos at Wimbledon decide to mess with seedings :)

silverwhite
06-23-2005, 07:33 PM
I think that Gasquet could be a real force here. It seems like in the past month or so he has started to "lock in" to his play. He could end up being the story of tournament.

Haven't seen any of Nalby play yet but the scorelines indicate that he is pretty solid so far (thank the lord!)

And of course my pipe dream-never-going-to-happen scenario is that Coria helps to put some dissappointing months behind him by having a strong showing here. He has always said that to be considered a great player one needs to have success on multiple surfaces- so the desire is there. Speaking of Coria, am I having a brain fart or didn't he reach the quarters of the USO one year?

Richard could win against Muller, but I think Nalbandian might beat him. He has been playing a lot on grass. 11 matches in 2 and a half weeks. He has even admitted that he felt a little tired in his match against Elseneer.

So my pick for the semis is David. :)

Clara Bow
06-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Speaking of David- turns out that he just had his second stright sets win here/ Yipee! Has anyone seen him play, if so- what has his form been like?

LaTenista
06-23-2005, 07:37 PM

I think he reached the QFs in AO this year, didn't he? As far as North American hard courts are concerned, I know for a fact Coria reached the QFs at Cincinnati in 2003 b/c I was there.

Clara Bow
06-23-2005, 07:43 PM
I think he reached the QFs in AO this year, didn't he? As far as North American hard courts are concerned, I know for a fact Coria reached the QFs at Cincinnati in 2003 b/c I was there.

Okay, instead of doing my work at my job (if everyone else is farting about at my workplace so will I) I looked up Coria's record.

He reached the 4th round of the Aussie Open in 2003 and 2005.

He reached the quarters at the USO in 2003 (didn't play last year because of surgery.) So he has shown that he can find his footing on other surfances. And he reached the finals at Miami- although he had to retire because he was passing a kidney stone during the match. (still can't get over that....ouch!)

oneandonlyhsn
06-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Roddick always gets a piss of easy draw, its always an easy draw for Roddick. I hope someone can atleast give him a test beacause his draw is just a fucking joke

Auscon
06-24-2005, 05:49 AM
Roddick always gets a piss of easy draw, its always an easy draw for Roddick. I hope someone can atleast give him a test beacause his draw is just a fucking joke

Bracciali might be the only 'test' lol

oneandonlyhsn
06-24-2005, 06:08 AM
Bracciali might be the only 'test' lol

For me that is Roddicks problem, he gets an easy draw. Blows his opponents and when he faces someone who can challenge him he seems to have a mental letdown or something. IMHO I think this is what is preventing him from winning another slam, if he gets some tough draws he will get mentally tougher, because honestly with a serve like his I dont know how he loses to players like Hewitt. No disrespect to Hewitt, but I think Hewitt just has the mental edge over Andy. I think this is merely due to the fact that Hewitt has had to tough it out a lot, whereas Andy hasnt and when faced with one he doesnt seem to do well in them. :shrug:

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2005, 06:22 AM
I hope that Coria keeps on chugging along, for the reasons Clara stated. I'd also like to see Gasquet do well - it's just a pity that he didn't get to face Nadal. I clearly like Nadal better, but would hve expected Gasquet to come through that match and think that a building rivalry between these two would be good for the game. Oh well, next time :)

Auscon
06-24-2005, 06:30 AM
I hope that Coria keeps on chugging along

Yeah, I'm hoping he'll give himself a shot at Roddick in R4

oneandonlyhsn
06-24-2005, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping he'll give himself a shot at Roddick in R4

Wont it be awesome if a dirtballer makes it to the final, the english press would have a field day :haha:. Go Coria