Andy Murray just took out Pretty Boy Stepanek 6-4 6-4 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Murray just took out Pretty Boy Stepanek 6-4 6-4 6-4

SwissMister1
06-23-2005, 06:53 PM
:)

onewoman74
06-23-2005, 06:54 PM
the next generation has arrived

Meeek
06-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Yeah, he's such a pretty boy himself too eh? :p

But good job!

Avid Merrion
06-23-2005, 06:56 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :D

Fumus
06-23-2005, 06:56 PM
so much for that whole, Stepanek making the semis thing. Murray is going to tough for Roddick to beat, I think.

JustmeUK
06-23-2005, 06:57 PM
he's not quite arrived yet.. but he shows promise :). he's got to go out there and do it more times than not now though.

Auscon
did Murray play really well or was Stepanek off his game?

joeb_uk
Two good wins so far from scottish boy, will be interesting to see how he deals with nalbandian. Watched some of the match and he seems to have an ok serve, solid from both sides (but does have a good return). Also seems to have great passing shots, seems to hit the ball so softly though with no pace at all. For 18 he seems very undeveloped though, so will be interesting to see if he grows anymore and gains any more pace in his shots (because atm he is a very skinny and weak looking 18 year old).

Dont like the kids attitude though, very annoying on court.

joeb_uk
06-23-2005, 06:58 PM
so much for that whole, Stepanek making the semis thing. Murray is going to tough for Roddick to beat, I think.
You forget nalbandian will play him first, i have a feeling david will crush him (i hope he does as well).

Nimrodg
06-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Murray gonna win his quarter.

Angle Queen
06-23-2005, 06:59 PM
Will murray-mania now replace henmania?

:hatoff: to Andy M though!

joeb_uk
06-23-2005, 06:59 PM

Looks a better player than tim atm :tape: if they had met, i think he would have taken out tim :lol:

Papakori
06-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Did anyone watch it and he see how many autographs he signed! Wow! So down to earth!

LaTenista
06-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Yikes! This is like that day in RG when Safin, Coria, and Gaudio all lost! Don't know the kid at all but I hear he trains in Barcelona so I think today's win over Stepanek (world No 13 and decent grass player) is amazing. Is it time to add Murray's name to the future number 1s in waiting club (current membership: Nadal & Gasquet)? Or am I being too British by assuming this kid is the real deal?

BTW Could Roddick's draw possibly get any easier than it has in the last few hours? Who's left to take a fall next?

savesthedizzle
06-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Good luck to Murray :yeah: I haven't seen a complete match of his yet, so I can't really judge, but I hope he has a good future ahead of him... might as well start it now.

SwissMister1
06-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Henman's Hill has now officially become Murray's Mound.

JustmeUK
06-23-2005, 07:02 PM

nah.. he won't make the semis.. not against Gasquet whose on an even hotter streak at the moment.

tennischick
06-23-2005, 07:04 PM
me like :worship:

and he's a cutie-pie too ;)

NYCtennisfan
06-23-2005, 07:04 PM
o much for that whole, Stepanek making the semis thing. Murray is going to tough for Roddick to beat, I think.

LOL! He will not get to Roddick and if he did, Roddick would abuse him. A great win nonetheless I don't think anybody thought he would roll Stepanek in straights.

onewoman74
06-23-2005, 07:05 PM

the brits are just happy to have anyone still left in the draw...i can't see Murray going any furthur than the 3rd round...if he does than i'll be shocked.

joeb_uk
06-23-2005, 07:09 PM
the brits are just happy to have anyone still left in the draw...i can't see Murray going any furthur than the 3rd round...if he does than i'll be shocked.
Lets just say david would be afraid to go outside of his house if he lost to murray :tape: that would be an awful loss for nalbandian.

Goonergal
06-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Well done Andy :yeah:

Nimomunz
06-23-2005, 07:13 PM
its like a changing of the guard with tim losing and murray winning aint it?

Nimomunz
06-23-2005, 07:14 PM
me like :worship:

and he's a cutie-pie too ;)
compared to stepanek everyones a cutie pie!!

richard gasquet
06-23-2005, 07:17 PM
very impressive win :)

he is the player that can make real damage.Congrats.

Swider
06-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Forget about Henmania, Gregmania... Murraymania has arrived :) That means that the poor boy will be under huge pressure for about 10-15 years from now.

Better for him if he wins it this time :devil:

Pea
06-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Henman's Hill has now officially become Murray's Mound.

:o

Aleksa's Laydee
06-23-2005, 07:22 PM
ANDY!!!!!!!!!! WOW WOW WOW :D:D:D

NYCtennisfan
06-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Murray's Mound just doesn't sound right. :) :)

onewoman74
06-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Lets just say david would be afraid to go outside of his house if he lost to murray :tape: that would be an awful loss for nalbandian.

I second that!!

wipeout
06-23-2005, 07:26 PM
I wondered a bit about him after his melodramatic dive at Queen's Club but he was really cool under pressure. Some great returns and passing shots and he's tall enough to have a bigger serve. He's got attitude too. Shows more emotion after one point than Tim does during an entire match.

SwissMister1
06-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Murray's Mound just doesn't sound right. :) :)

I guess you could call it "Mount Murray" or something, but that isn't as cool.

oneandonlyhsn
06-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Hopefully he can make it through and make it a tough draw for Roddick. Its fucking unbelievable how easy Roddicks draw is :mad:. I mean if he gets through today he is facing someone who can do shit.

mitalidas
06-23-2005, 07:42 PM

:)

there is actually a locality here in New york city called "Murray Hill"

Corey Feldman
06-23-2005, 07:45 PM
well done Andy :)
scottish you know :)

jtipson
06-23-2005, 07:47 PM

Murray "Field" is the best suggestion I've heard :p

Corey Feldman
06-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Murray "Field" is the best suggestion I've heard :p
yep, now that Henman hill and Rusedski ridge signs were thrown in the trash can on the bbc highlights ;)

allanah
06-23-2005, 08:23 PM
I wondered a bit about him after his melodramatic dive at Queen's Club but he was really cool under pressure. Some great returns and passing shots and he's tall enough to have a bigger serve. He's got attitude too. Shows more emotion after one point than Tim does during an entire match.

He does indeed. Perhaps a bit too much sometimes? A really solid performance tho.

mitalidas
06-23-2005, 09:02 PM
battle of the Andys in the SF

vaiva
06-23-2005, 09:13 PM
I'll always take comfort in the fact that Lipanek is sexier of the two studs. Who cares about the result.

Rad :hearts:

Billabong
06-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Very very impressive:yeah: This Murray has a lot of talent:D!

njnetswill
06-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Pretty Boy Stepanek?

O.o

Scotso
06-23-2005, 09:17 PM
I thought Andrew was a bit of a minger until I saw him in the ESPN studio today talking to Fowler. I have to admit, he's actually quite cute! :eek:

Well done, Andrew! About time you overshadow your lesser talented predecessor.

Raquel
06-23-2005, 09:44 PM
well done Andy :)
scottish you know :)
Really? :p I saw a couple of Scottish flags in the crowd today :D

Andy just played a really confident match and was never really in any major danger or pressure situations. He was in control for most of the match. Against David he just has to go out there and do what he did today and just go for it. David is the 18th seed and Murray's in the 300s so he's not expected to win. I think it could be a close match. David's serve is possibly his weakest shot so it's not like Andy's going to get blasted off the court. Should be fun :)

oneandonlyhsn
06-23-2005, 10:54 PM

Andy just played a really confident match and was never really in any major danger or pressure situations. He was in control for most of the match. Against David he just has to go out there and do what he did today and just go for it. David is the 18th seed and Murray's in the 300s so he's not expected to win. I think it could be a close match. David's serve is possibly his weakest shot so it's not like Andy's going to get blasted off the court. Should be fun :)

I think he has a good shot against Nalbandian, he really punished Stepaneks second serve. He has a huge return game so another upset is possible :eek: . Would be nice to have battle of the Pandys in the SF

Rogiman
06-23-2005, 10:59 PM
Radek :rolleyes:

Please ,David ,take Murray out! :mad:

Ančićka
06-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Please Nalby.

Chloe le Bopper
06-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Actually, Mount Murray is MUCH cooler.

I'm sure that this lady would agree:

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-06-23T191829Z_01_WIM098D-_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS-WIMBLEDON.jpg

Not that I'm particularly interested.

oneandonlyhsn
06-23-2005, 11:21 PM

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-06-23T191829Z_01_WIM098D-_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS-WIMBLEDON.jpg

I'd mary him he is kida cute :D

Chloe le Bopper
06-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Pics?

SwissMister1
06-23-2005, 11:35 PM

The first of many Andy Murray groupies. A humble start, but you have to start somewhere.

JustmeUK
06-24-2005, 12:24 AM

The difference is Stepanek didn't seem to have the consistency or the ability to inject pace in replying to Andy's shots. David though is an altogether different proposition. He's consistent enough to go toe to toe with Murray, can hit with pace against off-pace and has bigger shots. Overall, he's what Murray would hope to be next year basically.

Scotso
06-24-2005, 12:25 AM
I like his accent. It doesn't really matter what he looks like, he'll be getting all the sex he wants. ;)

Deivid23
06-24-2005, 12:58 AM
Murray, on an interview straight afterwards on TV, referred to Stepanjerk as stupid, some of his antics at the end, gamesmanship....

Radjerk go to circus, please :rolleyes:

DanEd
06-24-2005, 01:11 AM
Murray will be worse than stepanek
Murray, on an interview straight afterwards on TV, referred to Stepanjerk as stupid, some of his antics at the end, gamesmanship....

Radjerk go to circus, please :rolleyes:

Sjengster
06-24-2005, 01:23 AM
We'll see. Some of his reactions are annoying, but he's going to have to do a lot worse and more to the point, be ranked a lot higher for this to be a major problem. No celebrating opponent's double faults yet, at least. And it was great when he gave Stepanek a taste of his own medicine by asking for the ball back and rubbing the net after a lucky letcord at 30-30 in the final game, the same thing Stepanek did after a letcord in his favour on matchpoint the game before.

lucashg
06-24-2005, 01:40 AM
I have yet to see him play, but must say I quite liked his soft shots in that point he won against Thomas Johansson that made him Play of the Week on ATPTennis.com. Amazing point, by the way. It seems to be another enthusiastic teen, though. Will they ever behave properly?

Lourdes
06-24-2005, 02:25 AM
I hope he goes on to do something and that it isn't a loss. Already being annointed as the replacement. Fickle crowd.

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2005, 04:12 AM
I have yet to see him play, but must say I quite liked his soft shots in that point he won against Thomas Johansson that made him Play of the Week on ATPTennis.com. Amazing point, by the way. It seems to be another enthusiastic teen, though. Will they ever behave properly?
I'll take a little enthusiam over 600 robots anyday, but that's just me. I'll also take a few robots on the side just to mix things up a bit :D

Pea
06-24-2005, 04:15 AM

Silly girls and their mounting fantasies.

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2005, 04:17 AM
Silly girls and their mounting fantasies.
Silly boys do that too :p

Swider
06-24-2005, 09:35 AM

I bet this was made for Roddick's match later that evening :)

Yoel and co.
06-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Q. What was running through your mind when you knew you'd won the match?
ANDREW MURRAY: Well, I was very happy because I was a little bit disappointed with him at the end, 5‑3, because he was trying to put me off. He was like staring in my face when I missed the ball, then he started doing the thing with the net. He was just trying to put me off.

When I got net cord at 5‑4, I was gonna do it back to him. I was really happy that I'd won because he'd done that. Because if I'd lost, then his plan would have worked. But unfortunately for him it didn't.

Q. Bad form, considering you're so young...

ANDREW MURRAY: He was just trying to put me off. Everybody told me before the match like he's gonna try a bit of gamesmanship, and he ends up looking a bit stupid because he lost.

Q. Did Stepanek congratulate you on your win?
ANDREW MURRAY: No (smiling). I wasn't even listening to him at the end. I don't like him. :p

Q. So neither of you exchanged a word to each other at the end?
ANDREW MURRAY: I just said "bad luck" to him and didn't really listen to what he was saying.

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2005, 10:26 AM
I bet this was made for Roddick's match later that evening :)
Possibly, but search Getty and you'll find they were holding it in his face as he signed autographs after beating Radek.

I can't tell if you were kidding or not ;)

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Q. What was running through your mind when you knew you'd won the match?
ANDREW MURRAY: Well, I was very happy because I was a little bit disappointed with him at the end, 5‑3, because he was trying to put me off. He was like staring in my face when I missed the ball, then he started doing the thing with the net. He was just trying to put me off.

When I got net cord at 5‑4, I was gonna do it back to him. I was really happy that I'd won because he'd done that. Because if I'd lost, then his plan would have worked. But unfortunately for him it didn't.

Q. Bad form, considering you're so young...

ANDREW MURRAY: He was just trying to put me off. Everybody told me before the match like he's gonna try a bit of gamesmanship, and he ends up looking a bit stupid because he lost.

Q. Did Stepanek congratulate you on your win?
ANDREW MURRAY: No (smiling). I wasn't even listening to him at the end. I don't like him. :p

Q. So neither of you exchanged a word to each other at the end?
ANDREW MURRAY: I just said "bad luck" to him and didn't really listen to what he was saying.
Okay, it's official: I've never seen him play, but I will forever root for him for this. Brash! Yay! Loves it.

chris whiteside
06-24-2005, 10:45 AM
It's started already. The papers here in the UK today are totally OTT. Pictures on the front page.

He looks to be a good prospect but who knows? Many have raised big hopes initially but never made the breakthrough.

What I would be wary about is the fact that he was the #1 seed for the Junior title at the French just a month ago and lost to non-seed on what is supposed to be his favourite surface.

As a Brit, I can only hope desperately he'll make it to the top but if he's any sense he'll clear off back to Barcelona to escape most of the media circus and have as little as possible to do eith the British LTA - they would surely kill off any chance he has.

While I wouldn't want to wish defeat on him, I think that for the future the best outcome at the minute would be for him to lose to Nalbandian by a respectable score.

SuperFurryAnimal
06-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Oh boy... I'm afraid the Brits will stalk this boy now Henman is out the tourney. The pressure is now all on him... poor kid! :awww:

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2005, 10:48 AM
:haha:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4618077.stm

Swider
06-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Possibly, but search Getty and you'll find they were holding it in his face as he signed autographs after beating Radek.

I can't tell if you were kidding or not ;)

I was trying to say the "marry" board was made especially for Roddiuck, but there amazingly apperead another chance to show it. Poor Andrew that he has to share this name ;)

jtipson
06-24-2005, 11:37 AM
I was trying to say the "marry" board was made especially for Roddiuck, but there amazingly apperead another chance to show it. Poor Andrew that he has to share this name ;)

Doubt it, Roddick was on Centre Court and Murray was on Number One - you can't be on both.

Swider
06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Doubt it, Roddick was on Centre Court and Murray was on Number One - you can't be on both.

Right, but as far as I remember they didn't play at the same time.

Geez, I hope the girl knew it was NOT Roddick.

http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_04_murray_47_ps_s_wake.jpg http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_04_roddick_44_reuters_k_doherty.jpg

Experimentee
06-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Very surprising :eek:
I thought Stepanek would beat him easily. Anyone see this match?

Scotso
06-24-2005, 09:33 PM
You can't fault him for not liking Radek... not many people on the tour seem to. He is a bit annoying on court.

I find nothing wrong with what Andrew does on the court. He's merely trying to pump himself up.

And for the record, I like Radek :p lol