Popp df Arthurs: 63 67 36 76 14-12 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Popp df Arthurs: 63 67 36 76 14-12

Kristen
06-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Unbelievable.
1 double fault from Alex in the final 2 sets.
He figured out how to volley and use Arthurs shots against him. :awww::sad::hug:

Yes. I have been crying. ^_^

joeb_uk
06-23-2005, 05:29 PM
How many aces for each player during the match? :lol:

Kristen
06-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Last time I noticed:
Popp 17
Arthurs 38
:worship:

Neely
06-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Well done, Alexander! :woohoo: :woohoo: :bounce: :clap2:

I come home and immediately ran to the TV, and it was 6-5 in the fifth set. I came home just for crunch time and I'm happy that he won this match. I don't begrudge him this win, he deserved some success after all these struggles since almost a year now. :banana:

I thought that Popp was closer to the brink of elimination than Arthurs, considering Arthurs had these two match points and that Arthurs seemed to hold serve more easily and without less effort than it required Popp.

But Popp had a few late and sizzling hot returns up his sleeve and he used them all in this last game to earn these break chances and finally it he converted one of them and was 3 of 17 on break point conversions after that ;)

Fee
I knew Alexander was going to win this match, somehow. He should be able to beat Tursunov too and protect some of his points from last year. Yippeeeeee!

alexito
more winner, few error
great match
now, nalbandian in this court 18

azza
06-23-2005, 05:33 PM
You fucken retard Wayne suck shit hope you retire u asshole cant belive u fucken choked like that Dont expect to play singles at daviscup or doubles or anything your an embaresment :rolleyes:

Kristen
06-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Well done, Alexander! :woohoo: :woohoo: :bounce: :clap2:

I thought that Popp was closer to the brink of elimination than Arthurs, considering Arthurs had these two match points and that Arthurs seemed to hold serve more easily and without less effort than it required Popp.
omg yeah. Those MP's against him...when he was down 00-30 at 8-8 I thought he was a goner, and he looked like he was :sobbing: f*ck. That was an unbelievable match. Glad they showed the majority of it here. I taped just over 2 hrs of the 4hr*ish match. :hug: to you guys.... this is so important for him. Man...my nose is still running from crying. :rolleyes:

Auscon
06-23-2005, 05:36 PM
well, he stuck it out for a while....at least he fought off 4bp's in that game before finally being broken

A shame he lost those 2 mp's...but I dont know if he made an error on any of them or if Popp just served unreturnables

WAY too stressful for me

Björki
06-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Poor Wayno :sad:

Fee
06-23-2005, 05:39 PM
Not one point of this match in the US, so far. Which one of you is sending me a tape? :D

Neely
06-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Bad luck for Arthurs of course, it was one of these matches that were especially painful to lose after fighting for so long time and after he had his own two match points (but he didn't have a chance to convert them, Popp saved them with a serve and volley if I remember correctly). Wayne :hug:

Props to the Aussie fans, they rooted and cheered for their guy almost all the time without break. Good fans, they're celebrating tennis. Most German fan groups are looking like a bunch of drowsy seniors compared to them.

Kristen
06-23-2005, 05:41 PM
I've written down, point by point from 5-5 in the fifth, what happened...so will add that to the site eventually. The commentators here were impressed with Popp's on court demeanour. Esp. with the drunken patriotic Aussies in the crowd yelling between serves (and not only Alexanders serves!). For those who didn't see the match, there was a worrying moment when Wayne hit a drop shot, Alex ran so fast(for a tall guy) he couldn't really stop, and his foot hit the bottom of the net in an awkward way and he fell. You can imagine, being a fan, I "shat myself". But he seems fine, obviously.

I was very high strung (It's 3.40am here) and skitzed (was a bit pissed off) when Wayne took an injury timeout after the 4th set tiebrek :tape: lol. It's a shame anyone had to lose, and the only time Wayne played "poorly" (I hardly call it poor) was in the final 2 games.

Neely
06-23-2005, 05:43 PM
For those who didn't see the match, there was a worrying moment when Wayne hit a drop shot, Alex ran so fast(for a tall guy) he couldn't really stop, and his foot hit the bottom of the net in an awkward way and he fell. You can imagine, being a fan, I "shat myself". But he seems fine, obviously.
I didn't see that, I must have tuned in too late for that.
Even better that he was fine after that.

LaTenista
06-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Didn't see it but score suggests this match was an approximation of Karlovic vs Bracciali? Poor Wayne, where's the greatest you showed us in winning Scottsdale?

Papakori
06-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Well DOne Alexander! Good luck against the next opponent!

Shabazza
06-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Bad luck for Arthurs of course, it was one of these matches that were especially painful to lose after fighting for so long time and after he had his own two match points (but he didn't have a chance to convert them, Popp saved them with a serve and volley if I remember correctly). Wayne :hug:

Props to the Aussie fans, they rooted and cheered for their guy almost all the time without break. Good fans, they're celebrating tennis. Most German fan groups are looking like a bunch of drowsy seniors compared to them.
I think you remember correctly, but the aussie fans were quite annoying sometimes imho...but you're right with the german ones ;)

Anyway great match Alex :yeah: - beat the russian guy in the next round :cool:

tennis4eva
06-23-2005, 06:17 PM
:worship: Well Done Alexander!

Aleksa's Laydee
06-23-2005, 06:24 PM
WOW WOW Unbelievable stuff from Alex...:woohoo:

NYCtennisfan
06-23-2005, 06:27 PM
It's tough to be constantly serving to stay in the match the way Popp did so kudos to him. His serve has lost some of its 'pop' but it still must've been extremely effective on the grass against a not so great returner.

Fergie
06-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Wayno :sad:

Space Cowgirl
06-23-2005, 07:00 PM
well done Alex :D .
Like Neely, I thought he would be the one to crack first as he seemed to be quite sluggish (but I only caught the last set so he was bound to have been tired), props to them both though.
DSF here showed his press conference, he was chuffed that at least a few German fans were giving him some support

KarstenBraasch#1
06-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Those drunk Aussies were terrible.

JMG
06-23-2005, 07:57 PM
I think Alex Popp also had two bp against him at 4-4 in the 4th set - and German TV switched to Henman before that, so I had to follow the sb. :lol: Unbelievable, he really looked good from the baseline and he showed more emotions than in the past imo.

One funny moment was in the fifth set, when Popp made a gesture to an Aussie fan after a point. :lol:

He's great - the only German with a chance for the QF. You can do it!

I had to leave at 9-all, but I taped it, so no problem for me. The only important thing is that he won.

Bilbo
06-23-2005, 10:24 PM

Umm, are you kidding me, Neely? Those australian fans were drunk. Shame on them. This is tennis not football. I thought all time why don't they ban them from the court. Horrible behaviour.

JMG
06-23-2005, 10:36 PM
I also think so. The German fans were really good in that match, which was a nice surprise to me. The Aussies were not too unfair, but they were totally drunk and made some stupid comments/noise between serves.

binkygirl
06-23-2005, 11:55 PM
You fucken retard Wayne suck shit hope you retire u asshole cant belive u fucken choked like that Dont expect to play singles at daviscup or doubles or anything your an embaresment :rolleyes:

How much vcash did you lose?

I can't believe Arthurs choked like that, he'll never get another opportunity like that.

Bilbo
06-23-2005, 11:57 PM
he didn't choked. arthurs had no chance on those 2 matchpoints and the following 2 points. 4 excellent serves in a row by popp.

Neely
06-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Umm, are you kidding me, Neely? Those australian fans were drunk. Shame on them. This is tennis not football. I thought all time why don't they ban them from the court. Horrible behaviour.
Even for football totally drunk fans shouldn't be allowed.

Bilbo
06-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Even for football totally drunk fans shouldn't be allowed.

but you won't hear them between ten thousands of fans. in the arthurs-popp game you could here them growling towards popp and other things. it was terrible behaviour. you won't see that from german fans.

Neely
06-24-2005, 12:11 AM
What I mean, it's not a matter of getting heard or not, if some fuckers in a football game are drunk, create troubles, fight with other fans, annoying peaceful fans who just want to watch the match, they should be totally kicked out. I would ban all alcoholic drinks from stadiums, but unfortunately football and beer is considered as a must-have combination for most fans :rolleyes: And as long as they buy it, they will sell it.

Sjengster
06-24-2005, 12:28 AM
I was rooting for Popp all the way after some idiot cheered very loudly when he missed a first serve in the second set tiebreak, and he then lost the next point. He complained to the umpire about it, but the Aussie fans stayed and carried on yelling encouragement to Arthurs and welcoming Popp's errors for the rest of the match. Not a bad way to shut them up with that high return at 12-12 followed by the killer backhand pass into the open court to get the break.

gsm
06-24-2005, 12:38 AM
go easy on the drunken aussie fans.

when a match lasts for nearly 5 hrs one is inclined to forget how much one has consumed.

as has been noted , they were distracting both players.

poor wayne...

well done alex!!!

Kristen
06-24-2005, 02:40 AM
:haha: They were acting drunk at 2 o'clock :lol:
But...at that time, the cricket was still looking not-so-good, so I guess it was a combo of drowning your sorrows/having a competition to see who can make the most redneck "ayyyy"/"Goooooo Waaynooo" noises. :D Ahhh.... I am still so happy. (Just woke up :tape: middayish)

gsm
06-24-2005, 03:08 AM
having a competition to see who can make the most redneck "ayyyy"/"Goooooo Waaynooo" noises. :D Ahhh.... I am still so happy. (Just woke up :tape: middayish)

i reckon it would be easy to get into the groove of going "waaynooo..." whilst downing booze with mates :D

the aussies seemed to be having a lovely old time. :)

i have only had 2 hrs sleep. :o

Auscon
06-24-2005, 04:30 AM
Decided to sit through the delayed telecast on tv after following the livescore

Popp was brilliant in the game that he finally broken in the 5th, wouldve been a shame if he didnt break almost

Made me feel a bit better about the match knowing that Wayne didnt lose it, Popp just took it

FanOfHewitt
06-24-2005, 07:13 AM
The Aussie fans were hilarious but I can see how you would be terribly annoyed if you were barracking for Popp.

lmfaooo@Fred Stolle's call when Popp finally broke in the fifth set "Oh no.... what a great shot"

CooCooCachoo
06-24-2005, 07:53 AM
:aparty:

Way to go Alex :hug:

Ferrero Forever
06-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Unbelievable.
1 double fault from Alex in the final 2 sets.
He figured out how to volley and use Arthurs shots against him. :awww::sad::hug:

Yes. I have been crying. ^_^
I just tried to good rep you Bjorkman_Girl just for having one of your favourites put out Arthurs. I've got the match on tape and I will watch it and laugh every time Arthurs loses a point. Rep points going out to any Popp or Venus Williams fans, and when Hewitt gets out major rep points will go out to the fans of the one that beats Hewitt. Nice win for Popp though, I gave him a round of applause when I saw it on the news, I was so happy.

Kristen
06-24-2005, 04:04 PM
The Aussie fans were hilarious but I can see how you would be terribly annoyed if you were barracking for Popp.

lmfaooo@Fred Stolle's call when Popp finally broke in the fifth set "Oh no.... what a great shot"

Ohhh Fred :hug:. My friend and I have a soft spot for him because he's so...grandpa-like. You know!? lol I only got pissed off at the fans, when Alexander got pissed off. But... he let them know about it :haha::angel:

JL: I hope you enjoy it! When they first showed them on the court (when I wasn't teary-eyed again) I was shocked at how Alexanders photos don't do him justice. His hair doesn't move... (Have you ever noticed how my 4 guys have interesting hair in some way!? Jürgens is perfect, the way I wish mine was... Jarkko has spikey asian hair[dunno how else to explain it!], Alex is like a steel-o, and jonas'...well... peroxide a.k.a. sun)

Looks like Dent will play Hewitt next. I was speaking with the security guards at the zoo tonight after work...they said Bec and Lleyton had been through a few times so now there is a good chance they'll be there for their reception? Even though my boss knows nothing about it :lol::tape: I don't know what to think, except that at times like this, you wish your favourite player was Hewitts best buddy.

*Ljubica*
06-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Well I was wandering in and out of that match a lot because David was scheduled to play directly after (why does he always seem to get landed with following these marathon matches :devil: )- and I didn't see any "drunken" Aussie fans at all! Yes - they were quite noisy and raucous and singing daft songs, but the Germans there were making themselves heard too and the whole crowd atmosphere was great and in good spirits. Wimbledon security are pretty strict - they would NOT allow drunk people on a court - they would be removed in no time. It was just high spririts in my opinion, though I would have gone crazy sitting next to the Aussie girl who screamed all the time :devil:

Auscon
06-26-2005, 05:31 PM
A bit old, but I only read this just then;

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2005-06-23/200506231119556132919.html

fun interview, Wayne seemed to be in decent spirits