Wimbledon is so expensive, who do they think they are!!? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimbledon is so expensive, who do they think they are!!?

Fumus
06-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Who do they think they are the most prestigious tennis tournement in the world or something? What gives?

This cotton Shirt is $79 Dollars, after shipping that's close to a hundred dollars...

http://shop.wimbledon.org/images/detail/WIM-3750138_ld.jpg

Even a T-Shirt will run you about $44.25, and after shipping that's close to 65 dollars

http://shop.wimbledon.org/images/detail/WIM-38505_ld.jpg

How about some Wimbly socks? $14, after shipping that's $22 dollars...

http://shop.wimbledon.org/images/detail/WIM-31570_ld.jpg

So I figure, you know what, if I can't own anything that's Wimbledon atleast I can watch the tennis for free on the web right? wrong!

It's 12 dollars for a six month subscription to access hightlights, and classic video. The kinda stuff all the other website will give you for free! :o

tennischick
06-23-2005, 04:26 PM
a water bottle -- which was the minimum i figured i could afford -- goes for 8 pounds! add shipping and handling, that's almost $15. for a plastic water bottle with the Wimby insignia on it! i thought the USO prices were bad but Wimby is ridiculous. boycott!!! :devil:

the cat
06-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Fifteen bucks for a Wimbledon water bottle TC? :eek: That is expensive. I just bought a great pair of Puma sneakers originally priced $145 for only $15.98! :yeah:

RodLo
06-23-2005, 04:44 PM
:shrug: No one's forcing you to buy their things. It's a fact of life...nothing's ever cheap anymore. Besides, it's Wimbledon...what more can you expect?

Fumus
06-23-2005, 04:44 PM
I agree TC...we will teach Wimbly! They can keep their Wimbledon head bands, key chains, and boxers for some other poor sapps. We won't stand for this!!

joeb_uk
06-23-2005, 04:45 PM
I have just learnt another pathetic fact about wimbledon, even press arent allowed by the practice courts :shrug: you have to pay apparently if you want to watch the players practice. Its probably the only tournament in the world that does this? Wimbledon is so far up its own ass :shrug:

tennischick
06-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Fifteen bucks for a Wimbledon water bottle TC? :eek: That is expensive. I just bought a great pair of Puma sneakers originally priced $145 for only $15.98! :yeah:
wherever did you get such a steal? :eek:

the cat
06-23-2005, 04:52 PM
At a big show store called DSW. It's mainly a women's shoe store I think. These Puma sneakers feel like slippers. :) I got them on clearance sale. They were priced at $145, then $78.89 and then 80% off that price which came to $15.98. I think these Puma sneakers have been discontinued and that's why I was able to get them so cheap.

tennischick
06-23-2005, 04:55 PM
At a big show store called DSW. It's mainly a women's shoe store I think. These Puma sneakers feel like slippers. :) I got them on clearance sale. They were priced at $145, then $78.89 and then 80% off that price which came to $15.98. I think these Puma sneakers have been discontinued and that's why I was able to get them so cheap.
awesome. i lurve Puma casual sneakers. my feet are addicted to them. they feel soooo good on.

but i prefer Nike sneakers for playing tennis.

the cat
06-23-2005, 04:57 PM
I lurve Puma too. :cat: :) But TC why do you play tennis in Nike instead of Puma? Better support and traction?

NicoFan
06-23-2005, 05:00 PM
But a ticket is cheap - well less expensive than the US Open.

15 pounds for a grounds pass at Wimbledon (I think thats like 30 American dollars???) compared to around 45 American dollars at the US Open (can't remember the exact amount cuz bought them a couple of months ago but somewhere around there).

Don't care about the souvenir stuff - care more about what it costs to get in.

NYCtennisfan
06-23-2005, 05:03 PM

15 pounds for a grounds pass at Wimbledon (I think thats like 30 American dollars???) compared to around 45 American dollars at the US Open (can't remember the exact amount cuz bought them a couple of months ago but somewhere around there).

Exactly, and that's with the current strength of pound. A year ago, the grounds pass at the USO was even more expensive comparatively.

Fumus
06-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Well dudes and dudemagnets, I have recently got a bunch of cheap stuff off of TW...including

an Adidas play dry shirt $14.00

http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/ProductImages/AMCCTS-WH.JPG

An ATP T-shirt $10.00

http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/ProductImages/LMATPST-BL.JPG

A US Open Shirt $5.00

http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/ProductImages/USOOLST.JPG

A pair of Nadal like Puma Pirate Pants $10.00

http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/ProductImages/PMWPS-NV.JPG

A dri-fit Aussie Open shirt from Nike $20.00

http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/ProductImages/NMMNST-BK.JPG

Looking Snazzy on the tennis court as you beat the living crap out of your opponents priceless. There's noting quite like looking good on the tennis court, for everything else in life there's Visa. ;)

allanah
06-23-2005, 05:13 PM
not just that, but this new-fangled 'Wimbledon Plus'is a joke. none of the other Grand Slams charge money for audio/video interviews and I wrote in telling them as much. And saying there was no shortage of sites (like Sportinglife, Eurosport, BBC etc) offering an equal, if not superior service for free.

I got this back:

Sent : 23 June 2005 08:41:54
To : <x>
Subject : RE: Wimbledon Plus Feedback

| | | Inbox

I am sorry you feel that way Allanah.

However Wimbledon Plus offers a far more comprehensive service than any popular
website.

The service offers full matches, comprehensive video highlights and coverage
which won't be found anywhere else.

I can only justify it by saying that it is a costly and time consuming
operation to obtain these clips encode them

and send them out to the public, not to mention the cost in accquring the
rights to broadcast these events in the first place.

Again I apologies if you feel let down.

Regards

Rida Chebaro

Whatever.

Fumus
06-23-2005, 05:15 PM
lol...that's awesome...I repped you for that.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-23-2005, 05:17 PM

I think there's a 40% Al Qa'ida protection fee in the USO.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Who do they think they are the most prestigious tennis tournement in the world or something? What gives?

This cotton Shirt is $79 Dollars, after shipping that's close to a hundred dollars...

http://shop.wimbledon.org/images/detail/WIM-3750138_ld.jpg

Even a T-Shirt will run you about $44.25, and after shipping that's close to 65 dollars

http://shop.wimbledon.org/images/detail/WIM-38505_ld.jpg

How about some Wimbly socks? $14, after shipping that's $22 dollars...

http://shop.wimbledon.org/images/detail/WIM-31570_ld.jpg

So I figure, you know what, if I can't own anything that's Wimbledon atleast I can watch the tennis for free on the web right? wrong!

It's 12 dollars for a six month subscription to access hightlights, and classic video. The kinda stuff all the other website will give you for free! :o

made in china for 50p each.

deliveryman
06-23-2005, 05:35 PM
OK READY?!?!?!?!

HERE'S AN IDEA: DON'T BUY IT

Shocking, I know.

jtipson
06-23-2005, 05:39 PM
It's the exchange rate that's making it seem really expensive: it's $1.82 to the £ at the moment and it has been higher a few weeks ago when they were probably setting the prices.

tennischick
06-23-2005, 05:39 PM
I lurve Puma too. :cat: :) But TC why do you play tennis in Nike instead of Puma? Better support and traction?
i've never tried playing tennis in Puma. i've tried Wilsons (too hard), adidas (too soft), and Nike (just right combo of support and fluidity).

tennischick
06-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Well dudes and dudemagnets, I have recently got a bunch of cheap stuff off of TW...including

an Adidas play dry shirt $14.00

http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/ProductImages/AMCCTS-WH.JPG

An ATP T-shirt $10.00

http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/ProductImages/LMATPST-BL.JPG

A US Open Shirt $5.00

http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/ProductImages/USOOLST.JPG

A pair of Nadal like Puma Pirate Pants $10.00

http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/ProductImages/PMWPS-NV.JPG

A dri-fit Aussie Open shirt from Nike $20.00

http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/ProductImages/NMMNST-BK.JPG

Looking Snazzy on the tennis court as you beat the living crap out of your opponents priceless. There's noting quite like looking good on the tennis court, for everything else in life there's Visa. ;)
you've outdone yourself Fumus :lol: :worship:

savesthedizzle
06-23-2005, 05:41 PM
It's the exchange rate that's making it seem really expensive: it's $1.82 to the £ at the moment and it has been higher a few weeks ago when they were probably setting the prices.

Yup. It used to be up around $1.90 not too long ago. I just spent 4 months in the UK and the exchange rate was not pretty.

allanah
06-23-2005, 05:43 PM
OK READY?!?!?!?!

HERE'S AN IDEA: DON'T BUY IT

Shocking, I know.

Yes, very good deliveryman, but that's not the point. Wimbledon is an institution and they like to build their whole PR image on accessiblilty for all starting from the whole public ballot for tickets, to the queuing up the night before to being able to re-buy tickets for lat in the day and Peoples Sunday etc.

So here's another, possibly even more radical and outrageous option: don't price the fans out ( :secret: you'll shift more of of your product that way)

deliveryman
06-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Yes, very good deliveryman, but that's not the point. Wimbledon is an institution and they like to build their whole PR image on accessiblilty for all starting from the whole public ballot for tickets, to the queuing up the night before to being able to re-buy tickets for lat in the day and Peoples Sunday etc.

So here's another, possibly even more radical and outrageous option: don't price the fans out ( :secret: you'll shift more of of your product that way)

Oh stop bitching. It's their tournament, it's their product, they can do whatever the hell they want to. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's their problem, not yours.

allanah
06-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Believe me, me 'bitching' doesn't sound like that - that's me expressing an opinion ;) And no, I won't buy it. Just because that's the way it is, doesn't mean it's right - the pricing is obscene. But thanks for sharing. :D

tennisace
06-23-2005, 06:14 PM
It's no more expensive then the USO. I was there two years ago and ground passes were 14 pounds and I found the food at the concessions to be quite a bit less, factoring in the exchange rate. While the exchange rate is not as good today as it was then, and there is the inevitable yearly price increases so it would be more costly today, the USO raises their prices every year, too. As for souveniers, I bought a towel - which was not outrageously priced (20 pounds?) and a wrist and headband for DH (who is a runner) Neither broke the bank. But I have a ton of USO sweatshirts ($50-75 each) that collectively have cost me a bloody fortune, as every year, without fail, I tell DH it will be cold for the night sessions, and every year he tells me he won't be cold. Have rarely gone at night without having to fork over for one.

I had to get a sweatshirt myself this year one night in Miami. $45.

MisterQ
06-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Fumus, you can buy my Wimbeldonn™ brand sweatshirts for only $5 apiece! :angel:

mitalidas
06-23-2005, 06:30 PM
how many quid for that wretched strawberry and cream crap ?

LaTenista
06-23-2005, 06:31 PM
I lived in London from Nov 2001 through May 2002, it was about $1.50 to a pound then and absolutely everything except some food items was either the same price or more expensive than if I had bought it here in the States BACK THEN. I went back to visit friends in Sep 2004, exchange rate was $1.80 on all my credit card purchases - I about had a heart attack when I got the statement and I spent 2 nights of my trip staying at a friend's flat for free!

Thanks to 9/11 and now oil prices, flying from US to UK is 40% more expensive than before. One of my greatest desires in life is to go to Wimby but I surely cannot afford the outrageous summer fares (more than twice what I paid in Oct 2001 for return/round trip tickets) to even consider it right now.

I boycott buying anything from England these days over the Internet - I can usually find the same or nearly the same item at a shop over here for a lot less money so I'm not buying anything from Wimbledon.

jtipson
06-23-2005, 06:31 PM
£2 I think, although I didn't have any. Half a pint (10floz) of Pimm's was £4.60 ;)

allanah
06-23-2005, 06:35 PM
I lived in London from Nov 2001 through May 2002, it was about $1.50 to a pound then and absolutely everything except some food items was either the same price or more expensive than if I had bought it here in the States BACK THEN. I went back to visit friends in Sep 2004, exchange rate was $1.80 on all my credit card purchases - I about had a heart attack when I got the statement and I spent 2 nights of my trip staying at a friend's flat for free!

Thanks to 9/11 and now oil prices, flying from US to UK is 40% more expensive than before. One of my greatest desires in life is to go to Wimby but I surely cannot afford the outrageous summer fares (more than twice what I paid in Oct 2001 for return/round trip tickets) to even consider it right now.

I boycott buying anything from England these days over the Internet - I can usually find the same or nearly the same item at a shop over here for a lot less money so I'm not buying anything from Wimbledon.

I agree with that LT. I guess when you convert the £ to any other currency it seems that much pricier.

LaTenista
06-23-2005, 06:38 PM
. As for souveniers, I bought a towel - which was not outrageously priced (20 pounds?) and a wrist and headband for DH (who is a runner) Neither broke the bank.

Well, 3 years ago 20 quid was about $35, these days more like $38 or $39. Compare that to the oversized beach towel I bought at Cincinnati last August that had both the TMS & Women's Open logos on it for $21 including tax.

Fumus
06-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Fumus, you can buy my Wimbeldonn™ brand sweatshirts for only $5 apiece! :angel:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MisterQ again.

How about an OverpriceDon hoddie? ;)

Space Cowgirl
06-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Wimby needs the money to replace those horrible 60s-era chairs the players have to sit on during their matches. Not much merchandise is being shifted, though, so those rusty old chairs will no doubt be hauled out for the next 30 years ;)

Fedex
06-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Who do they think they are the most prestigious tennis tournement in the world or something?
:lol: Need I answer this? :lol:

tennisace
06-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Well, 3 years ago 20 quid was about $35, these days more like $38 or $39. Compare that to the oversized beach towel I bought at Cincinnati last August that had both the TMS & Women's Open logos on it for $21 including tax.

Well it's a Christy - a very expensive manufacturer of towels. And it say's THE CHAMPIONSHIPS WIMBLEDON 2003 on it. ;)

Bilbo
06-23-2005, 10:56 PM
London is the 3rd most expensive town in the world. I think that gives the answer.

megadeth
06-24-2005, 12:13 AM
probably wimby needs all the money it can get to maintain those grass courts. must be expensive taking care of them compared to other slams that are virtually maintenance free

binkygirl
06-24-2005, 12:36 AM
I agree TC...we will teach Wimbly! They can keep their Wimbledon head bands, key chains, and boxers for some other poor sapps. We won't stand for this!!

Agreed. I won't be ordering anything.

BelgianWaffle
06-24-2005, 08:26 AM
I have just learnt another pathetic fact about wimbledon, even press arent allowed by the practice courts :shrug: you have to pay apparently if you want to watch the players practice. Its probably the only tournament in the world that does this? Wimbledon is so far up its own ass :shrug:

:eek: ridiculous..

CooCooCachoo
06-24-2005, 08:50 AM
Wimbledon merchandise is indeed way too expensive.

But WImbledon rocks :rocker2:

Mrs. B
06-24-2005, 10:48 AM
i could have gone on a gratis ticket for Court 1 this coming Monday but i still have to pay the flight tickets, hotel, etc. and i was already in Roland Garros last month. :o

jtipson
06-24-2005, 10:49 AM

But spectators can watch practice for free though. That's one of the best things about Wimbledon from a fan's perspective.

joeb_uk
06-24-2005, 10:51 AM
But spectators can watch practice for free though. That's one of the best things about Wimbledon from a fan's perspective.
Apparently they cant either, they arent allowed into the practice area (otherwise every press would just take off their accredation and walk in).

Kat!
06-24-2005, 10:59 AM
here's a solution......... come to the Australian Open!

$25 AUS for a ground pass ;) and the main courts have roofs! :tape:

(now let's not think about the airfare to get to Melbourne in the first place)

jtipson
06-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Apparently they cant either, they arent allowed into the practice area (otherwise every press would just take off their accredation and walk in).

Depends what you want to see. As a spectator you can't get to see what's going on on the practice courts furthest away (down the steps), but the front seven practice courts you can walk right up to, and they often put the top players on these courts so that people can watch them.

alfonsojose
06-24-2005, 04:36 PM
I bought a big Slazenger tennis ball for 15 pounds :sad: not choice 'coz my dad wanted it really badly and for me a key ring for .. :o 7 pounds and a cap for another 15 pounds :smash: Well, it was my first time ever at Europe and at a Grand Slam so :shrug: :yeah:

joeb_uk
06-24-2005, 04:38 PM
I bought a big Slazenger tennis ball for 15 pounds :sad: not choice 'coz my dad wanted it really badly and for me a key ring for .. :o 7 pounds and a cap for another 15 pounds :smash: Well, it was my first time ever at Europe and at a Grand Slam so :shrug: :yeah:
How was your trip btw fonso?

alfonsojose
06-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Thanks for asking. The fly from Madrid to Bogota was delayed 16 hours and since i don't have the European Union visa, i had to sleep on a VIP room couch :mad: But my days at London were amazing : Wimby, Nottingham, Salisbury, Stonehenge, Buckingham palace, Wesminster Abbey, Tower of London, Sth Paul's Cathedral, London's Tube system :bowdown: Lindsay and Kiwi practicing just meters away from me :drool: :hearts: ...

MisterQ
06-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Glad you had fun, fonsie! :)