I knew I liked Mary Jo Fernandez for a reason! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

I knew I liked Mary Jo Fernandez for a reason!

Haute
06-23-2005, 01:29 PM
"[Brad Gilbert] is annoying even when he's right."

:haha: I always knew she was my favorite commentator for a reason. ;) :p

Fedex
06-23-2005, 01:31 PM
She said that?

Haute
06-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Yeah, just now on air during the Maria/Sesil match. :p

Nimomunz
06-23-2005, 01:34 PM
"[Brad Gilbert] is annoying even when he's right."

:haha: I always knew she was my favorite commentator for a reason. ;) :p
:cool:

Fedex
06-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Yeah, just now on air during the Maria/Sesil match. :p
:lol: Thats good but I'm not watching that match, and I wont be anytime too soon either.

savesthedizzle
06-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Hahaha I heard that too. I was watching with my mom and my mom was like, "Did she really just say that on air?" :lol:

Mary Jo speaks the truth.

star
06-23-2005, 02:28 PM
I thought it was Pam who had that quip. Wasn't Pam the one calling Sharapova's match? Also it sounds more like Pam. Pam was just in the booth rolling her eyes at Brad.

But whoever said it: TOO TRUE. :lol: :lol:

star
06-23-2005, 02:29 PM
The most informative bit of commentary I've heard today was Luke Jensen's analysis of Venus's racket and strings. :)

mitalidas
06-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Did any new gem from Gilbert's mouth spark Mary Jo's comment, or they were just talking in general? (PS: Did they know they were on air :lol: )?

Fumus
06-23-2005, 02:50 PM
oh no it was durning the Sharapova match. Brad predicted that match was going to be an easy win for Maria. Dick Enberg was like "looks like Brad was right" and Mary Jo was like "I hate it when he right!". Then she said "He's annoying even when he's wrong!"

Deboogle!.
06-23-2005, 02:52 PM
:lol: nice, Mary Jo! :yeah: We all concur :p

Fumus
06-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Not me, I love Brad.

Deboogle!.
06-23-2005, 02:58 PM
You're............... unique. :)

MisterQ
06-23-2005, 02:59 PM
The most informative bit of commentary I've heard today was Luke Jensen's analysis of Venus's racket and strings. :)

I've seen quite a few matches where Luke contributes bits of insight that we don't hear from the other commentators. If you can get past his manner, he's a good commentator, dude! ;) :rocker2:

Fumus
06-23-2005, 03:03 PM
You're............... unique. :)

You bought the new BSB CD so you know all about being unique ;) :p :)

NYCtennisfan
06-23-2005, 03:07 PM
It sure isn't because of her tennis!

Pea
06-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Mary Jo!:hearts:

mitalidas
06-23-2005, 04:13 PM
She's easily the best looking commentator

But even outside of that comparison group, she is a good lookin woman!

Fumus
06-23-2005, 04:23 PM
She's easily the best looking commentator

But even outside of that comparison group, she is a good lookin woman!

haha, yea I agree. I would tag it! :devil:

tennischick
06-23-2005, 04:29 PM
I've seen quite a few matches where Luke contributes bits of insight that we don't hear from the other commentators. If you can get past his manner, he's a good commentator, dude! ;) :rocker2:
that's just it. it's so hard to get past the surfer dude. it's grating.

go Mary Jo :banana:

the cat
06-23-2005, 04:41 PM
I like Mary Jo Fernadez. She is classy and nice. :) But she is disliked by so many people at WTA World because they see her as anit Williams. :eek:

spritzer
06-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Brad Gilbert is soooooooooooooo American.
He spouts off his point view twisted in such a way that he thinks will make his appear smarter than the rest of the population or commentators, even if there is an obvious coonflict with the reality of the situation. Sooooooooooo American..... "Wea re the best!"

tennischick
06-23-2005, 04:52 PM
He spouts off his point view twisted in such a way that he thinks will make his appear smarter than the rest of the population or commentators, even if there is an obvious coonflict with the reality of the situation. Sooooooooooo American..... "Wea re the best!"
Brad is acting half the time. it's just a schtick for the cameras. if he's truly honest he might lose the gig.

tangerine_dream
06-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Brad is annoying but he's also entertaining, which is something the personality-challenged Mary Jo should work on. :)

spritzer
06-23-2005, 05:15 PM
This is tennis and part of the entertainment is accurate annalyis of the play. there is no need for a commentator who spins the events to make himsef look smart just so he can have the main camera focused on him. If he loses the gig, so much the better for the reporting.

deliveryman
06-23-2005, 05:38 PM
The funny thing is though, Brad knows more about Tennis than everysingle person that posted here.

savesthedizzle
06-23-2005, 05:39 PM

I love American stereotypes.

tennischick
06-23-2005, 05:42 PM
The funny thing is though, Brad knows more about Tennis than everysingle person that posted here.
except you of course :o

deliveryman
06-23-2005, 05:47 PM
except you of course :o

Do you know the definition of "every?"

eveˇry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vr)
adj.

1. Constituting each and all members of a group without exception.
2. Being all possible: had every chance of winning, but lost.

Nice try, though.

So for the slow: yes, everyone INCLUDING me.

Now get back in the kitchen.

Haute
06-23-2005, 05:53 PM
I like Mary Jo Fernadez. She is classy and nice. :) But she is disliked by so many people at WTA World because they see her as anit Williams. :eek:

If there's anyone close to be anit-Williams of the commentators, it's Mary Carillo. She acts like a bitch in her comments just for the sake of being a bitch. But I think Mary Jo's criticisms of Venus and Serena are meant to be more constructive.

deliveryman
06-23-2005, 05:56 PM
People don't like Brad because he's American and he's being patriotic on an American network...

HOW DARE HE!

tennischick
06-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Do you know the definition of "every?"

eveˇry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vr)
adj.

1. Constituting each and all members of a group without exception.
2. Being all possible: had every chance of winning, but lost.

Nice try, though.

So for the slow: yes, everyone INCLUDING me.

Now get back in the kitchen.
like i said, EXCEPT you. you're the sole expert here. the rest of us sucketh.

as for the kitchen quip, keep it clean will ya.

spritzer
06-23-2005, 06:32 PM

Why is it that American broadcasting companies choose the exact facisimile of an American stereotype to comment tennis matches? Could it be that they want to make sure that their viewers get a typically slanted view of the results, because the American viewpoint is the only valid one, in their opinion, of the game?

savesthedizzle
06-23-2005, 06:34 PM

Why is it that American broadcasting companies choose the exact facisimile of an American stereotype to comment tennis matches? Could it be that they want to make sure that their viewers get a typically slanted view of the results, because the American viewpoint is the only valid one, in their opinion, of the game?

Oh yay! More stereotypes! I know plenty of Americans who think Brad Gilbert is the stupidest man on the planet and don't agree with him at all. Perhaps ESPN chose him for entertainment value. Most people don't take stock in what he says at all.

NYCtennisfan
06-23-2005, 07:41 PM

I find him annoying but this is true. He has a lot of great insight in his book "Winning Ugly". Oh, BTW, he's paid to be annoying and smug and overbearing at times. That's what people expect when they see Brad Gilbert.

mitalidas
06-23-2005, 07:55 PM
People don't like Brad because he's American and he's being patriotic on an American network...

HOW DARE HE!

thats not patriotism
that's jingoism. he should just shut his big trap when he's on air for people of various nations to hear him. ESPN is not shown only in the US by the way.

Nimomunz
06-23-2005, 08:02 PM

HOW DARE HE!
i'm a patriotic american but his arrogance is bloody annoying!!

Haute
06-23-2005, 08:41 PM

HOW DARE HE!

There's a difference between patriomism, and blatant favoritism. He picked Roddick to get to the QF of Roland Garros, where he'd meet Andre. :rolleyes:

Paialii
06-23-2005, 09:31 PM
There's a difference between patriomism, and blatant favoritism. He picked Roddick to get to the QF of Roland Garros, where he'd meet Andre. :rolleyes:

Well let's face it, despite it being on clay, the draw was there for the both of them. I'm not saying Brad isn't biased, but sometimes I wonder why so many find him so.. "hateable."

I think he knows the ins and outs of tennis more than just about anyone, and he can be quite insightful when he chooses to. Otherwise, he's more obnoxious with some of his comments than the other commentators. He uses a lot of analagies and will speak his mind when it comes to aspects of a player's tennis game.

When he goes all out and picks Roddick to win the French Open, then we can :wavey: to all of Brad's sanity.

njnetswill
06-23-2005, 09:36 PM
I hate brad's "easy bake oven" "betty crocker" comments.

I laughed so hard when he predicted roddick AND agassi were going to have "betty crocker" matches at the French this year. :p

tangerine_dream
06-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Since when was talking favorably about a top American player like Andy or Andre considered patriotic or jingoistic? :rolleyes:

Well let's face it, despite it being on clay, the draw was there for the both of them. I'm not saying Brad isn't biased, but sometimes I wonder why so many find him so.. "hateable."

I think he knows the ins and outs of tennis more than just about anyone, and he can be quite insightful when he chooses to. Otherwise, he's more obnoxious with some of his comments than the other commentators. He uses a lot of analagies and will speak his mind when it comes to aspects of a player's tennis game.

When he goes all out and picks Roddick to win the French Open, then we can :wavey: to all of Brad's sanity.

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Paialii again
Damn.

K-Dog
06-23-2005, 10:38 PM
GUYS, PAM SAID IT!! NOT MARY JOE!! WATCH "THE COMPLETE WIMBLEDON" OR MATCH HIGHLIGHTS TONIGHT!! IT WAS PAM, NOT MARY JOE.

I'll prove it!! Cliff and Pam were talikng about fights between players and Cliff reminded Pam of her disagreements with Tracy Austin. They were on the topic of the IW match between Maria and Sesil last year. Then Pam said that Brad gets into fights with everyone and Mary Joe doesn't get any with anyone. PAM SAID IT!!

star
06-24-2005, 04:42 AM
GUYS, PAM SAID IT!! NOT MARY JOE!! WATCH "THE COMPLETE WIMBLEDON" OR MATCH HIGHLIGHTS TONIGHT!! IT WAS PAM, NOT MARY JOE.

I'll prove it!! Cliff and Pam were talikng about fights between players and Cliff reminded Pam of her disagreements with Tracy Austin. They were on the topic of the IW match between Maria and Sesil last year. Then Pam said that Brad gets into fights with everyone and Mary Joe doesn't get any with anyone. PAM SAID IT!!

Thank you! I said that it was Pam about the fourth post in the thread, but everyone kept on saying it was Mary Jo.

I thought it was Pam as well. It was said during the Sharapova match and Pam was calling that match with Cliffie.