Henman goes back to the baseline [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Henman goes back to the baseline

Yoel and co.
06-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Eurosport.com:

Unsure over his tactics in his five set first round victory over Nieminen, the sixth seed is set to ditch his serve-volley game and battle from behind the baseline to keep alive his dream of winning the Wimbledon title. Henman plays Russian Dimitry Tursunov first match on Centre Court Thursday.

Slow at the net during his Queen's Club campaign and during his opening win over Finland's Jarkko Nieminen at SW19, Henman insists he can no longer rely on his classic game.

In recent weeks, the 30-year-old has complained about The Championships grass courts and the softness of the tennis balls.

Only in the latter stages of victory over Nieminen, Henman came in less and less behind his serve and could be found rallying more from the baseline in the five set.

It appears this tactic, used by many of the leading players, will be a game plan Henman will adopt from now on.

"In the fourth and fifth sets I think I serve-and-volleyed less than 20 per cent of the time - and that was when I was at my most effective," Henman explained on Tuesday.

"I served very, very well. If it came back, I was able to put him under pressure. That's something I need to keep working on.

"It's going to vary slightly with different types of players but the way I played in the latter part of the match is, I think, the most effective way.

Fedex
06-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Henman cant totally abandon the s-v or he wont go too far here either. He needs to find the right combination of when to s-v and when to stay back, like Federer.

mitalidas
06-23-2005, 12:21 PM
hey, whatever wins him the match

DDrago2
06-23-2005, 02:23 PM
When you look at it, it seems that all the players are becoming Federers... On this or that way, all the players are taking over his tactics and way of playing. Even Agassi adopted his way of emotional control recently...

TheMightyFed
06-23-2005, 03:08 PM
When you look at it, it seems that all the players are becoming Federers... On this or that way, all the players are taking over his tactics and way of playing. Even Agassi adopted his way of emotional control recently...
I think Agassi started to control his emotions before Federer became pro.
And unfortunately for the players on tour, it's quite tough to play the same way Rog is playing, given his talent, so I don't see many playing like him honestly.... ;)

zubzy
06-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Henman cant totally abandon the s-v or he wont go too far here either. He needs to find the right combination of when to s-v and when to stay back, like Federer.

it doesn't matter what he does - there are too many players that can outclass him in every attribute

Yoel and co.
06-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Too true apparently

allanah
06-23-2005, 04:05 PM
i watched most of it today and he did stay back an awful lot. Every time he came in, he won the point. He cannot go toe to to, blow for blow with anyone. Those were bizarre tactics indeed. :scratch: