If baseliners serve-volleyed and serve-volleyers played at the back.YOUR TOP 10 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If baseliners serve-volleyed and serve-volleyers played at the back.YOUR TOP 10

Vass
06-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Imagine that all the players in the ATP are somehow forced to play the opposite to their normal style. For instance: If Henman, Rusedski and other serve-volley players had to play mostly from the baseline, and base-line player had to rush to the net everytime...

So who do you think would be in the top-10 then?

PS: I don't have my own list because I don't know. I just want to know people's opinions.

Action Jackson
06-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Where does that leave the all court players? There should be a clear definition as to which players fit which category.

Vass
06-23-2005, 10:43 AM
A player who used to rush to the net after his serve 60% of the time will stay back 60% of the time, while a player who stayed back will go forward. They would still be allowed to volley/stay back of course but no more than a player playing opposite of their style would. The extent to which the style should be opposite is determined by how extreme he was in his style before. (Everything IN YOUR OPINION of course)

If it's really an all-court player he'll remain equally as good, I guess as he'll have very few things changed in his game.

Basically I meant to see who is the most complete player. Who can just as easily play with an alternate style as with his normal style... Which serve volleyer can survive at the baseline? Which base-liner can be good at the net consistently when forced to volley more than usual.

An all court player like Federer would probably be at the top. He can serve-volley better than any other base-line player can and with that he'll be able to beat any serve-volleyer scrambling at the baseline...

Fedex
06-23-2005, 12:27 PM
I dont know. I cant imagine either ones style being effective for the other. Somehow I dont see Rusedski cracking winners from the baseline, and neither do I see Coria lunging out and making stab volleys with ease.

MisterQ
06-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Safin is good at the net, has a strong serve and great reach.

Henman is better from the back of the court than he is often assumed to be.

So perhaps those two. :)

Fedex
06-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Safin is good at the net, has a strong serve and great reach.

Henman is better from the back of the court than he is often assumed to be.

So perhaps those two. :)
Both of these players are 'all court' players though.

cosmicmonkey
06-23-2005, 02:49 PM
I agree Henman and Safin!

deliveryman
06-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Clearly Karlovic has the best baseline game out of all the serve-volleyers. He could go stroke for stroke with Nadal from the baseline anyday. :rolleyes:

tennischick
06-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Federer would still be #1 ;)

*Viva Chile*
06-23-2005, 05:29 PM
I think Henman

Safin and Federer aren't serve-volleyers. They are all-court players ;)