What is your opinion of Tim Henman? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What is your opinion of Tim Henman?

Sjengster
06-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Vote on this important issue.

Julio1974
06-22-2005, 10:15 PM
He's a great player. I love watching his matches. It's a pity he has never won Wimbledon.

gooner88
06-22-2005, 10:18 PM
A very good player who has maximised his talent.
Never really had enough game to win majors.
His best achievement in my opinion was to be consistently placed in the Top 10.
2001 should've been his year at Wimby, but the rain ruined his chances. :mad:

alexito
06-22-2005, 10:19 PM
if hennan no was england, he win wimbledon much time. the pressure of the press is so much

joeb_uk
06-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Good player, just doesnt have quite what it takes to win a slam (in desperate need of a good serve i feel). If he had a good serve, i feel he would be a contender for the slams.

savesthedizzle
06-22-2005, 10:27 PM
I think he's a good player, and I like watching him play... as me and my friends once said, he plays "pretty" :)

Trivial
06-22-2005, 10:44 PM
I agree that he is a good player but i find it extremely frustrating watching him play sometimes. For example, at Queens he was serving poorly yet insisted on approaching the net after one of his lame serves, he just left the court open for a easy passing shot. I just couldnt understand why he didnt see what he was doing, if he did he didnt do anything about it. If he had a weapon in his serve then his game would be so much more effective, but he doesnt, i understand that he is a serve volley player but he seems to think that he has to do this at every point. But apart from this i do enjoy watching him, but he's just a little inconsistant for my liking. :p

mangoes
06-23-2005, 12:29 AM
I think he is a good player but may never win wimbledon.

Fedex
06-23-2005, 12:30 AM
Vote on this important issue.
:lol:

Scotso
06-23-2005, 12:31 AM
if hennan no was england, he win wimbledon much time. the pressure of the press is so much

If he wasn't English, he wouldn't make it out of the 4th round. Ever.

mitalidas
06-23-2005, 12:34 AM
He would have won Wimbledon if only Sampras, Goran, Agassi, Grosjean, Ancic, Rafter and a few others never played the sport ... I guess what I'm saying is that he wouldn't ever win Wimbly. But its nice for the british paparazzo's to have someone to love and hate eh

Scotso
06-23-2005, 12:38 AM
I would have no problem with Tim and might even like him if he didn't bounce around on players' second serves to try to get them to DF. It's pathetic.

I also don't like that he's so fake at Wimbledon... pumping his fist and doing other things that are only for the benefit of the crowd and totally not his style.

NATAS81
06-23-2005, 12:42 AM
He hasn't won any of the other slams lately either.

Aphex
06-23-2005, 12:53 AM
I just don't like him.

name_change
06-23-2005, 01:02 AM
at least moya looks handsome with his mouth shut. same cant be said about tim.

tennischick
06-23-2005, 01:03 AM
none of the above -- i think he's a talented and witty guy. i enjoy watching him play. he's got a more complete game than he gets credit for.

mitalidas
06-23-2005, 01:20 AM
the Todd Martin of England

Daniel
06-23-2005, 01:21 AM
He is good but will finsh tennis career a little bit frustrated coz never won Wimbledon, and that might cause some traumas in his life.

tennischick
06-23-2005, 01:24 AM
I would have no problem with Tim and might even like him if he didn't bounce around on players' second serves to try to get them to DF. It's pathetic.

I also don't like that he's so fake at Wimbledon... pumping his fist and doing other things that are only for the benefit of the crowd and totally not his style.
yeah the jumping around on second serves is annoying but i can't remember that he always did it. i think he only started doing it (or at least noticeably) over the past 2 years. i can't remember either noticing or being irritated before.

but how can he not play up to the Wimby crowd? would any "home" player do any different on their own turf? is there anyone more arrogant than the Duck in Houston for example?

binkygirl
06-23-2005, 01:44 AM
I like him, he is hot (and has a great game). I always found his success surprising considering that he's British and they have such a weak talent pool.

Daniel
06-23-2005, 01:50 AM
I dont think he is hot at all .

allanah
06-23-2005, 06:22 AM
A very good player who has maximised his talent.
Never really had enough game to win majors.
His best achievement in my opinion was to be consistently placed in the Top 10.

I agree with pretty much all of that. His consistency is excellent and it can't be that easy to consistently maintain a top 10 berth - otherwise everyone would be doing it.

2001 should've been his year at Wimby, but the rain ruined his chances. :mad:

Not sure I agree with that. Even without the rain the result may have been the same + it was semi, he still would've had to get past an awesome Pat Rafter

Fedex
06-23-2005, 06:27 AM
I think Henman's always been a good and consistent player, but he's just lacking the one big weapon to get over the hump at the Slams. At this stage in his career, I doubt he will win a major.

Fedex
06-23-2005, 06:28 AM
I agree with pretty much all of that. His consistency is excellent and it can't be that easy to consistently maintain a top 10 berth - otherwise everyone would be doing it.

Not sure I agree with that. Even without the rain the result may have been the same + it was semi, he still would've had to get past an awesome Pat Rafter
And then Goran in the final, so Henman didn't have that locked up by any means, even if he did get by Rafter.

Corinna
06-23-2005, 07:27 AM
He's a great player. I love watching his matches. It's a pity he has never won Wimbledon.
ditto

bad gambler
06-23-2005, 08:26 AM
Great to watch and brings some variety into mens tennis

Ferrero Forever
06-23-2005, 08:33 AM
Ah Tim Henman. I really used to hate this guy, but when Hewitt started to be annoying I realised that I have no reason to hate him so much, so now I'm apathetical towards him. Therefore I voted that I'm more of a Rusedski fan. Probably has no indication of how I feel about Timmy, but I do prefer Rusedski to Henman, since I don't see whats so bad about Rusedski.

SuperFurryAnimal
06-23-2005, 08:44 AM
He's a great player, one of the few to keep the classic serve-and-volley game alive. It's a pity he's never gonna win Wimbledon. I guess the pressure his homecrowd puts on him is just too much! Not one of my personal faves, but definitely a great player and a nice bloke.

Action Jackson
06-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Henman is alright and someone who has done the best that he could with his abilities.

PaulieM
06-23-2005, 09:58 AM
i like tim, he's fun to watch, and is pretty funny too. i feel badly for him, and although it's pretty unlikely i'd still like to see him win a slam before he retires.

gooner88
06-23-2005, 10:57 AM

I'm not saying for definite that he would've beaten Rafter in the final, but it would've been a good match-up for Tim. Remember he had already beaten Rafter at Wimby a few years before that.

Kristen
06-23-2005, 12:02 PM
He's like,,, a haemmorrhoid (sp!?). A major pain in the ass at times, but sometimes I pity him, and thus... I like him most of the time.

Nimomunz
06-23-2005, 12:40 PM
he's a sweet guy who plays very pretty tennis but tennis is no longer about finesse.its more about power! I wish tim wins wimby..............it would be such a fairy tale ending, but alas tis not so!!
p.s. he needs to play up the crowd coz if not they would call him arrogant for not acknowledging such rabid support!!

Angle Queen
06-23-2005, 01:34 PM
I really liked your first poll choice. He has been a fine servant of British tennis over the years...in front of, and for, a very difficult audience. He is a classic, classy kind of guy who's made the most of what he had. Don't get me wrong, I like tennis's 'personalities' too, but Tim is just a bit of a reminder of its more polite, if not stodgy, origins.

He is...my favorite player.

Corey Feldman
06-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Nice-looking game, shame about the serve
this one..
and shame about the brain as well sometimes, like right now :rolleyes:

Aleksa's Laydee
06-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Greg all the way. Tim is so arrogant and very over rated

Scotso
06-23-2005, 02:12 PM
These Brits cheering for Tursunov's errors are getting REALLY annoying. And I remember some Brits on here complaining about the RG crowd...

Corey Feldman
06-23-2005, 02:19 PM
Good
suck on it

Nimomunz
06-23-2005, 02:19 PM
These Brits cheering for Tursunov's errors are getting REALLY annoying. And I remember some Brits on here complaining about the RG crowd...
enough with the nationalistic bullshit..arrgghh!!!
the british this, the french this, the americans this.....................totally shitty!!

MisterQ
06-23-2005, 02:30 PM
one of my favorite players to watch :yeah:

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-23-2005, 02:46 PM
I really liked your first poll choice. He has been a fine servant of British tennis over the years...in front of, and for, a very difficult audience. He is a classic, classy kind of guy who's made the most of what he had. Don't get me wrong, I like tennis's 'personalities' too, but Tim is just a bit of a reminder of its more polite, if not stodgy, origins.

He is...my favorite player.Agreed, except for the last part.

Turkeyballs Paco
06-23-2005, 03:06 PM
I voted for the teeth, just because that was a funny option. :lol:

Seriously, I don't mind Timmy. He's a sweet guy. :)

JMG
06-23-2005, 03:12 PM
I voted for Greg.

KBF said the right things about his behaviour. But for 50 weeks of the year I don't dislike him as much as in the other two.

Papakori
06-23-2005, 03:14 PM
I prefer Rusedski and also think that Henmania ruins Wimbledon every year with all the hype

joeb_uk
06-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Greg all the way. Tim is so arrogant and very over rated
Actually its probably greg who is over rated.

NYCtennisfan
06-23-2005, 06:50 PM
enough with the nationalistic bullshit..arrgghh!!!
the british this, the french this, the americans this.....................totally shitty!!

Amen.

Jenrios
06-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Tim is a good player, but not a great player - not really a GS contender in my opinion. He's served a good purpose though - kept the Masters going on Sky:) And Henmania makes me puke.