Injured Flip in denial?: "My best tennis is ahead of me." [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Injured Flip in denial?: "My best tennis is ahead of me."

Tennis Fool
06-22-2005, 08:36 PM
M. Philippoussis - Day 3
Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Q. You had the ankle assessed. How bad was the damage?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: It's not the ankle. It's a ligament. I have to get an MRI.

Q. Any idea how bad it could be?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: Oh, it was pretty painful out there. But I'll see. I don't think it's going to be anything ‑‑ I don't think it's going to be anything too bad.

Q. Would it harm your chances of Davis Cup?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: I don't know.

Q. You put in all the hard work, you come up again, get another injury. You seem to have gone through the cycle a lot of times. How hard is it mentally?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: It's nothing. I mean, it's frustrating. But, you know, looking at those two tiebreakers, I have 5‑4, Love‑40, two tiebreakers, and I was up a mini break on each one. And, you know, there's the match right there. So it was nothing (indiscernible) the match at all.

Q. The sharpness of those big points, is that where you missed just from being absent on the circuit for so long?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: No, no. I mean, you know, like I said, the Love‑40 point, rallied. It's always easy to say you could have done something a little different in that point. But, you know, just missed my opportunity, simple as that. I had the opportunities but didn't take them.

Q. Do you think you showed enough today you could get back into the Top 20, 10 even?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: I know what I can do. Whatever you guys think, it really doesn't worry me.

Q. What do you think you can do?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: I know my best tennis is ahead of me. It's as simple as that. I know I've proven it to myself here. The eagerness is back. I'm just going to get stronger. I'm going to go back and work hard. This is nothing. I'm going to get over it. There's only more positive things to come.

Q. The last time you were on that court, you were in the final.

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: It's really nice to be back on that court. I always love that court. It was a gorgeous day today. Unfortunately (sic), next time I'll come under different circumstances.

Q. What were you having checked by the trainer?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: Ligament.

Q. Your right?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: My right leg, ligament coming from the ankle up to the calf muscle.

Q. Is that something new?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: It came up after my match, my first‑round match. I was an hour later walking around, I didn't think much of it at all, and it was painful from then on. Yesterday, it was painful. Today, I just thought I'll tape it, you know, I'll play through it. Unfortunately, it just got worse and worse.

Q. You put the losses down at the end of the sets more to whatever it is that makes you not play well rather than the injuries?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: Of course, it's nothing to do with the injury. It's simple as that. At 5‑4, I had Love‑40, opportunity to win that first set with set points, and didn't take them. Twice in the first two sets, had mini break up. Again, he got back into it. You know, right there...

Doesn't matter how you're feeling the end of your match, you got those mini breaks, those chances, you've got to take them.

Q. Are you trying to use that as fuel to get you back here in a better position next year?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: Of course. Of course.

Q. What is the short‑term in terms of the next tournaments coming up? Where do you have wildcards coming into or have you entered into?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: I don't know where I've got wildcards coming in. But the next one's LA. Leading up, you've got the Masters Series in Cincinnati, Toronto. So there's a lot of big tournaments ahead before the US Open.

Q. You're going to have to do qualifying at those?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: If I have to, definitely.

Q. Yesterday in her press conference, Eleni said her wish was to play mixed doubles with you. Has she ever asked you to play mixed?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: No. No.

Q. Do you think you ever would?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: I'm not one for mixed doubles. If I ever do, I'd definitely ‑‑ I'd play with her. She is a great girl. I was very happy to see her do well.

Q. What about Marat today? Were you surprised at his ability ‑‑ the consistency with which he was able to play, given we all know his preference isn't that surface?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: No, I mean, anyone who is talented, the guy is top five in the world, you can play on any surface, doesn't matter. With a big serve like that, it's going to get you into the points. He hits the ball well. He's volleying a little better. That guy is going to be tough on any surface, whether he likes playing on it or not.

Q. Did you feel like it was a little early for you to have to meet him in the draw?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: No. That's what happens. You know, you let down your guard, you lose your ranking, that's what you've got to pay for. You know, hopefully next year I'm coming in with a better position, put myself in where, you know, that won't happen again.

Q. You said after the first match that this was a good opportunity for you to get your comeback going. Where do you rate your comeback?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: Everything's going fine. Everything's positive. Nothing's negative. I'm not going to go jump off a bridge anywhere. Everything's fine, so...

Q. You worked with Andrew the last few weeks. Is that sort of going to be ongoing?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: I don't know. I invited Andrew along as a hitting partner more than anything, you know, to get me prepared for these tournaments. So we'll sit down and discuss that.

Q. I wanted to ask about the grass. A lot of players are saying the grass is getting slower every year. The head groundsman says that they don't do anything different. Is that your impression, that things are getting slower? Is that a disadvantage for you?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: The grass? I don't think the grass is getting slower. Some courts where some players think it's a little softer. But, if anything's getting slower, you would think sometimes they'd slow down the balls. But, no, I mean...

Q. Doesn't affect your performance here?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: No, I didn't feel it was.

Tennis Fool
06-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Safin said in his interview, that Flip's problem is that he's always getting injured, and it's always major injury that takes him out for months at a time, again and again. He doesn't know how he can get back into the top ranks.

BTW: There is an unwritten rule (mine) that if you don't win a major by age 21, then you won't (with a few exceptions, mostly coming at the FO).

joeb_uk
06-22-2005, 08:43 PM
More like behind him. That groupy gf has really ruined his brain it seems :retard: or was he like that already :shrug:

gsm
06-22-2005, 08:46 PM
philippoussis came within a few points of taking the first two sets...

IMO he deserves his WCs and i dont think he should be encouraged to retire.

will be interesting to see how he goes for the rest of the year.

Socket
06-22-2005, 08:57 PM
philippoussis came within a few points of taking the first two sets...

IMO he deserves his WCs and i dont think he should be encouraged to retire.

will be interesting to see how he goes for the rest of the year.
Absolutely correct. Throughout his entire career, Mark's biggest obstacle has not been his physical breakdowns, but his mental weakness when he was healthy and playing. Maturity can only improve that part of his game, and if he can get and stay healthy, he could easily be a top 20 player for a few years, although I do agree that a slam is probably unrealistic.

NATAS81
06-22-2005, 09:23 PM
* This was already posted

* "Best tennis" is stretching things.

He'll be lucky to make a hardcourt final.

gvhvhg
06-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Haha I agree he's in denial. I remember when he reached the Final he was like I'll be back. And I was thinking, uhh no you wont buddy.

wipeout
06-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Safin gave Federer a real match a couple of weeks ago and Philippoussis gave Safin a real match today.

Mark on grass is still very dangerous if his body holds together. He's like Goran was in that no-one wants to face him if he's healthy.

I wonder, though, if Mark's maybe just too heavily built not to injure himself playing tennis.

maratski
06-22-2005, 09:53 PM
I think he took some of Marat's hippoweed today

joeb_uk
06-22-2005, 09:57 PM
And I was thinking, uhh no you wont buddy.

:lol: :lol:

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-22-2005, 10:09 PM
I don't think Mark's best tennis is ahead. His game is exactly the same as it was 3, 4 years back - why would it be improving now?

But good for him that he keeps positive.

NYCtennisfan
06-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Well, you can't blame the guy for trying to be positive. A few points in the first two sets and Flip takes a 2 set lead against a Safin who is playing very well. Nobody thought Flip was going to do anything a month or so ago and now he played two very good matches.

flip_fan
06-22-2005, 10:29 PM
I think he proved he can match it with the best. he was the one with all the opportunities in the 1st and 2nd set, marat didnt even have a break point against mark until the third when he practically couldnt walk... if he were to have won those 2 sets i wonder what all your opinions would be then. The big concern is not his talent, but his body. It was clear to me from the second set his mobility was just getting worse and worse, he was cautious and playing that way...esp on his returns....

Im not gonna lie, i was devastated last night by the injury and im sure like most doubted about mark playing again... but after seeing his interview im so proud, i honestly believe he will work harder then ever before to get stronger.

wether he wins a slam or not, it takes character and guts to come through everything mark has. only someone who truly loves the sport would put himself and his body through all that pain. good luck to mark, he said he'll play qualies if he has to and im not gonna stop supporting him because times are tough.

so all you guys keep bagging him out, if thats what makes you feel good about yourselves...

ys
06-23-2005, 03:45 AM
He used to have a lot of injuries before. He used to come back from them. The best tennis I've seen him ever play was in Bercy 2000, he was like 20 pounds lighter than today, moving great, playing great. If he can get to that level of fitness and sustain it, good things will happen sooner or later. Even Pierce got her chance this year - who would have thought. His serve is not going anywhere. Next Wimbledon , if he is in better shape and more match tough, he is going to be a threat. Even on current form, put him into Nadal's quarter, he could have well won it. You never know.

NATAS81
06-23-2005, 03:52 AM
He used to have a lot of injuries before. He used to come back from them. The best tennis I've seen him ever play was in Bercy 2000, he was like 20 pounds lighter than today, moving great, playing great. If he can get to that level of fitness and sustain it, good things will happen sooner or later.
You take away the extra muscle mass and he doesn't stand a chance at hammering volleys past Federer.

It's a give and take, add a heavier shot or add speed. You can't have both unless you're Nadal.

ys
06-23-2005, 03:57 AM
You take away the extra muscle mass and he doesn't stand a chance at hammering volleys past Federer.

It's nto muscle. It's fat. If you saw him in Bercy 2000 final against Safin, then you know what kind of fitness level i am talking about. He was very lean, very strong, very quick for him..

oneandonlyhsn
06-23-2005, 06:00 AM
It's nto muscle. It's fat. If you saw him in Bercy 2000 final against Safin, then you know what kind of fitness level i am talking about. He was very lean, very strong, very quick for him..

Agree, he has gained some weight. Lately it seems that most players are getting stronger but also trimming down.
Marat kinda hinted on that in a very Marat way in his press conference.

Marat: (on Philipoussis coming back to top 20) Its difficult, he has had so many injuries and he is tall and pretty heavy :haha: :haha: :haha: He needs to travel with a doctor, and once your knees start hurting, your ankles, everything starts collapsing so its not easy. But he showed he has the talent so .................

Seleshfan
06-23-2005, 06:04 AM
And Canas is the one being investigated for drug use? Put a fork in him, he's done.

Mimi
06-23-2005, 06:56 AM
marat is honest and realistic but however is too cruel to mark P who will turn 29 soon :sad:

oneandonlyhsn
06-23-2005, 07:04 AM
marat is honest and realistic but however is too cruel to mark P who will turn 29 soon :sad:

Well I was watching the match today and I though his upper body was slightly fat. Anyway, hope he gets through his injuries, not a fav of mine but I know how hard most of these players work to compete and injuries is just such a big blow.