Last doping cases in men tennis - info needed [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Last doping cases in men tennis - info needed

Denaon
06-22-2005, 01:47 AM
Can anyone of you tell me which were the last doping cases during the last two years? I'd like to find out the pattern here :scratch:
I trust that posters like GWH, with a very good knowledge of tennis and its news can provide it.

Thanks in advance

iliketennis
06-22-2005, 01:50 AM
I think Stefan Koubek and Coria??? I know Greg Rusedski, possibly- Canas. You were probably aware of these people.

Denaon
06-22-2005, 01:54 AM
I'm just trying to find if there's a pattern here that bring up some cases only (not that I know anything else)

DanEd
06-22-2005, 01:54 AM
coria, chela, puerta, now canas, koubek, rusedski, korda,a canadian player (larose ? niemayer? i do not remember the name)

Denaon
06-22-2005, 02:07 AM
coria, chela, puerta, now canas, koubek, rusedski, korda,a canadian player (larose ? niemayer? i do not remember the name)
Rusedski? :scratch: was he guilty?

take a look at that list, do you find any feench, american, spanish player there? No, I think there's a pattern here

mitalidas
06-22-2005, 02:10 AM

Are they profiling argentine (and east european) players specifically? Or is this just incredible coincidence that more than 50% (!) in the last 4 years accused/found taking dope are from Argentina??

drf716
06-22-2005, 02:16 AM
for sure there are not a lot. compared to other sports.

Fee
06-22-2005, 02:26 AM
Bohdan Ulirach, suspended, then re-instated because the ATP decided it was their own trainers who may have given him tainted supplements

Rusedski, used the excuse given above and was exonerated even though he tested positve a few weeks after the ATP stopped giving out the supplements.

Koubek was a short suspension earlier this year and I'm still a little bit suspicious about that whole thing. Wasn't it the wrong cold medicine or something like that?

Graydon Oliver, the most bogus suspension of all, took an herbal sleep aid that was tainted by the manufacturer (because the US does not regulate 'herbal food supplements' in any way), suspended 2 months.

That's all I can think of.

iliketennis
06-22-2005, 02:28 AM
Almost every player was tested last year. Not just Argentines. Just because Argentines return positive tests more often, does not mean that they are targeted.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/en/antidoping/ATP.pdf

This link shows all of the testing patterns of last year. However, it does not state which tests returned positive.

pryss
06-22-2005, 02:28 AM
The Canadian player you're thinking about is Simon Larose. I believe he got a 2 year penalty and then just retired entirely? Something like that...

Lee
06-22-2005, 04:26 AM
For Larose case, it's not performance enhancement, just plain dope.

Chloe le Bopper
06-22-2005, 04:30 AM
Yes, Larose was caught with cocaine in his system. He retired immediately.

willie
06-22-2005, 04:35 AM
puerta's doping was of a medicine for a respiration problem that nowadays is legal.

Chloe le Bopper
06-22-2005, 04:41 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Puerta failed to fill out the requisite paperwork which is why there was a problem.

Fee
06-22-2005, 05:29 AM
didn't these threads disappear for a few hours? I didn't know they could be re-instated once they were gone. cool.

Neely
06-22-2005, 07:19 AM
Koubek was a short suspension earlier this year and I'm still a little bit suspicious about that whole thing. Wasn't it the wrong cold medicine or something like that?
Wrong cold machine? I don't know at all what you mean.
But to say it with my own words. Koubek got an injection from his doctor to treat an arm problem and the doctor assured him that this doesn't contain any substances that have to be reported to the ATP. Koubek was okay with this answer and believed this doctor because that was a well-known doctor who treats professional athletes regularly. But this information turned out to wrong and later a forbidden substance was found in his doping test.

CooCooCachoo
06-22-2005, 07:25 AM
The last one I read about was some unknown player outside the Top 500.

Truc
06-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Bohdan Ulirach, suspended, then re-instated because the ATP decided it was their own trainers who may have given him tainted supplements
Uhlirach was not the only one, in 2002 there were several other cases of positive tests for nandrolone, but the players were cleaned because the ATP decided it was an error of their own trainers. Most of the players were not even named. I don't know if some names have been revealed in the last two years.

CooCooCachoo
06-22-2005, 07:46 AM
OK, I looked it up on the ATP site:

May 17: Melle van Gemerden (Cannabis :tape: )
Apr 25: Juan Albert Viloca (Budesonide metabolite)
Apr 8: Luis Feo Bernabé (Betamethasone) This is the player I meant in my previous post.
Mar 24: Dimitry Vlasov (Pemoline)

Van Gemerden and Viloca voluntarily sat out of competition before the tribunal's verdict and were immediately eligible to return to competition. Bernabé, don't know about him. Vlasov is eligible to return on December 8 of this year.

There was also a case on Diego Hipperdinger, but that has been upheld.

For more information:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/antidoping/info_warnings.asp

binkygirl
06-22-2005, 08:18 AM
The last one I read about was some unknown player outside the Top 500.

There was a guy caught a few years ago from Spain with the surname of Truyel or something like that.

I don't think players should be suspended for using cocaine, or marijuana, or other party drugs, because they are not performance enhancers. The ATP is not anyone's mother either and should keep their nose out of what players do for fun.

SuperFurryAnimal
06-22-2005, 08:23 AM
May 17: Melle van Gemerden (Cannabis :tape: )

:lol: Can't blame him for being Dutch! ;)

Saumon
06-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Apr 25: Juan Albert Viloca (Budesonide metabolite)
[/url]
isnt he kuznetsova's coach? :o

ClaycourtaZzZz.
06-22-2005, 11:03 AM
hahaha......lol

Action Jackson
06-22-2005, 11:52 AM
isnt he kuznetsova's coach? :o

No.

Action Jackson
06-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Coria - nandrolone
Chela - methyltestosterone
Puerta- clembuterol
Larose - party drugs
Koubek - triamcinolon acetonid

Saumon
06-22-2005, 11:59 AM
I thought he started to work with her in Miami.. but he was not her fulltime coach.

He has been Flavia Moya's coach for a few weeks too.

Action Jackson
06-22-2005, 12:10 PM
I thought he started to work with her in Miami.. but he was not her fulltime coach.

He has been Flavia Moya's coach for a few weeks too.

She doesn't have a fulltime coach, it's whoever from the academy goes there and it varies. I'll have to see tonight who it is for this tournament.

jrm
06-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Any of you remember Mats Wilander and Karel Novacek being suspected of something?

Don't remember that well what was going on there!

Action Jackson
06-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Any of you remember Mats Wilander and Karel Novacek being suspected of something?

Don't remember that well what was going on there!

It was cocaine, but Cash, Gerulaitis, McEnroe and Borg all took part in the white powder stuff.

Carlita
06-22-2005, 01:36 PM
He has been Flavia Moya's coach for a few weeks too.did carlos and flavia get married??????? :confused:

Action Jackson
06-22-2005, 01:59 PM
did carlos and flavia get married??????? :confused:

No.

Carlita
06-22-2005, 02:08 PM
oh :p

SwissMister1
06-22-2005, 03:33 PM
The Diego Hipperdinger case is a pretty funny read, how dumb can you be to think that chewing coca leaves won't make you test positive for cocaine?

LaTenista
06-22-2005, 04:08 PM
I don't think players should be suspended for using cocaine, or marijuana, or other party drugs, because they are not performance enhancers. The ATP is not anyone's mother either and should keep their nose out of what players do for fun.

:scratch: Aren't these drugs illegal in most countries in which the players reside and play in? It's not like the ATP is turning players into local authorities when they test positive for these types of drugs.

I believe there is an argument that any controlled substance can affect one's performance.

If I were a pro player, I'd be stupid to risk a very profitable career on a "fun time".

DanEd
07-15-2005, 08:38 PM
other dopings : spanish Ignacio Truyol, Czech Karel Novacek and swedish Mats Wilander

NATAS81
07-17-2005, 05:29 AM
Yes, they are illegal LaTenista. And yes, a very poor career move.