Worst draw ever... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Worst draw ever...

uNIVERSE mAN
06-21-2005, 11:00 PM
I swear there's nothing going on in this tournament whatsoever, I recorded the first two days coverage and forwarded through the whole thing in 10 mins. Is there even anything worthwhile to watch anywhere??

For instance,

1st Quarter - Rogi has an easy cake walk, no one else there is of any pedigree.
2nd Quarter - Easy Hewitt romp
3rd Quarter - Complete joke.
4th Quarter - Henman - Roddick that's it (I doubt this will even be a match since Henman is playing like shit if he even gets that far).

A very predictable tournament, RF vs. LH and Duck vs. Unknown.

I don't see any interesting matchups until deep into the tournament.

Deivid23
06-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Disagree, I smell upsets or in worst case, good battles for heavy favs

NYCtennisfan
06-21-2005, 11:46 PM
You never know. There will be some upsets no doubt but probably not ones involving Fed, LH, and Roddick. But Wimbledon has been like that for a while. Many of the top seeds consistently go far in the tournament. JMAC, Connors, Becker, Edberg, Lendl, Goran, Pete....these guys were always around come SF/F time.

Raquel
06-22-2005, 12:20 AM
I disagree, I think it's full of some good matches. Safin v Philippoussis and Johansson v Rusedski tomorrow, Murray v Stepanek I am looking forward too, Nadal, Ferrero and Coria against anyone on grass are good matches because it's interesting to see how they adjust to grass and an opponent, Gasquet and Grosjean both played some great tennis today and they're matches are also fun to watch (for me anyway).

drf716
06-22-2005, 02:31 AM
i think they played it out so marat'll have the "best matches" which are actually the more difficult ones on paper. it's a conspiracy against him since he said he wouldn't play on wimbledon ever. hehe.

oneandonlyhsn
06-22-2005, 02:34 AM
I think Marat-Philipoussis has a potential to be a really good match, and Roger-Kiefer too if the players make it that far.

Obviously rooting for Marat and Rogi :D

Billabong
06-22-2005, 02:39 AM
I hope there will be some classics:)

alexa18
06-22-2005, 06:20 AM
marat has the toughest draw out of any of the seeds :eek:

liptea
06-22-2005, 06:22 AM
I think you're wrong. I SMELL UPSETS.

Nicolas Kiefer 2005 Wimbledon Champion!!!

oneandonlyhsn
06-22-2005, 06:59 AM

:ras:

disturb3d
06-22-2005, 07:10 AM
Are you kidding?
There's no way Hewitt is getting past Safin, let alone Ancic.

liptea
06-22-2005, 07:23 AM
:ras:

:ras:. lol. You know that Roger is going to be triple-bagelled by Kiefer, who will not drop a set in his cruise to the trophy.

binkygirl
06-22-2005, 09:13 AM

He just very well may be the spoiler this tournament. We shall see.

Nacho
06-22-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm actually loving the draw

Levo.
06-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Flip vs Hewitt QF ;) :banana:

oneandonlyhsn
06-22-2005, 10:22 AM
I am rooting for Igor Andreev to pull a big upset, come on Igor
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

uNIVERSE mAN
06-23-2005, 04:32 PM
I swear there's nothing going on in this tournament whatsoever, I recorded the first two days coverage and forwarded through the whole thing in 10 mins. Is there even anything worthwhile to watch anywhere??

For instance,

4th Quarter - Henman - Roddick that's it (I doubt this will even be a match since Henman is playing like shit if he even gets that far).

don't forget this thread, it's going to pan out exactly like that. Henman's gone, Roddick romp. RF-LH semi.

Bibir
06-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Are you kidding?
There's no way Hewitt is getting past Safin, let alone Ancic.
No, he's not kidding...Universe thinks Safin is a nobody. :shrug:

uNIVERSE mAN
06-23-2005, 04:43 PM
I didn't say he's a nobody, I said it's easy for Hewitt to get through that Quarter, Safin is no road block on this surface.

tennischick
06-23-2005, 04:44 PM
I didn't say he's a nobody, I said it's easy for Hewitt to get through that Quarter, Safin is no road block on this surface.
Safin doesn't like playing on grass but that doesn't mean that he's a pushover on it.

mickymouse
06-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Disagree, I smell upsets or in worst case, good battles for heavy favs

Is the elimination of Nadal considered an upset?

uNIVERSE mAN
06-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Only by his uncle.

tennischick
06-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Is the elimination of Nadal considered an upset?
yes bec no-one really knew what to expect from him on this surface.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Safin doesn't like playing on grass but that doesn't mean that he's a pushover on it.

he's been pushed over a lot this year.

tennischick
06-23-2005, 04:59 PM
he's been pushed over a lot this year.
and last year. and the year before that. that's why we call him Oaf.

but he is an unpredictable player who can beat the best on any surface on any given day. ask Roger.

Bibir
06-23-2005, 05:00 PM

Sorry, I thought you were the one who started the wonderful thread "Marat Safin is not a threat to win tennis titles".

Oviously, there is another Universe. :)

You never know with Marat...Maybe he'll lose tomorrow...Maybe he'll win the tournament. Why not? He played well in Halle.

You can't "erase" him like you always do. You were so sure that Ferrero would beat him at RG.

No, surprise surprise, he lost to Robredo. :o

DDrago2
06-23-2005, 05:01 PM
I also think this was one of the worst imaginable draws for the first week. But we should wait for the second week to judge about the whole tournament... Good things often have a bad start.

PamV
06-23-2005, 05:03 PM

For instance,

I think there's 50-50 chance that RF will face MS or LH. At face value Duck's half looks wide open for him......but I just don't know the abilities of Gasquet or Murray. In any case you just can't tell who will face Duck in his QF or SF. Henman is out already, and Tursunov may be a tougher opponent that Henman would have been any way.

Seeing Duck play Grosjean would be pretty boring and predictable.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-23-2005, 05:03 PM

but he is an unpredictable player who can beat the best on any surface on any given day. ask Roger.

he's more predictable than you think. Sure, he can get on a hot streak now and then, usually in AO or on carpet, but he doesn't string wins together very well, which you can see by how many titles he wins. Sooner or later he collapses badly, and it will happen here also, probably against Ancic if not before. I don't see him as a threat whatsoever, but that's my opinion you can't attack me for that!

LH is the best player in the world against attacking S-V'ers. Ask Sampras, Henman. Ancic is no threat to him, and certainly he'll school Safin on this surface. Again, a Hewitt romp to face RF in the semis.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Sorry, I thought you were the one who started the wonderful thread "Marat Safin is not a threat to win tennis titles".

Oviously, there is another Universe. :)

You never know with Marat...Maybe he'll lose tomorrow...Maybe he'll win the tournament. Why not? He played well in Halle.

You can't "erase" him like you always do. You were so sure that Ferrero would beat him at RG.

No, surprise surprise, he lost to Robredo. :o

Safin is a threat to beat most players on any day, but he's not a threat to win titles, he doesn't get on a run very much in his career. Sure, he'll win some but he's not that good at running the deck.

Bibir
06-23-2005, 05:07 PM
C'mon, don't you remember this match point...BETWEEN THE LEGS...Marat didn't deserve to win. :)

uNIVERSE mAN
06-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Go back and check yourself how many titles he's won in the last 5 years, that's not his specialty, he doesn't adapt on the fly to all kinds of players, thus, he gets his arse handed to him by some unknown in most tournaments. I'm not saying he's not a good player, just not a threat to win titles.

tennischick
06-23-2005, 05:08 PM
i guess it's a big fluke Safin won the AO then. what was i thinking. :o

PamV
06-23-2005, 05:10 PM

Safin said at the start of the year that he is going to concentrate on the majors. I have a feeling he will face Roger in the SF and it could be the match of the tournament. However.....what I hope is that Roger makes to the SF had instead faces someone really easy to beat like Gimelstop. I don't want to see Roger in another tough SF. Then in the final I'd like him to have an easy win over Malisse.

Go Roger!

Bibir
06-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Go back and check yourself how many titles he's won in the last 5 years, that's not his specialty, he doesn't adapt on the fly to all kinds of players, thus, he gets his arse handed to him by some unknown in most tournaments. I'm not saying he's not a good player, just not a threat to win titles.
I know how many titles he won in the last 5 years. Thanks.

I know very well how inconsistent he is too...But you can't say he's not a threat...A talented player like him is ALWAYS a threat...Just like Tennischick said "Ask Roger" ;)

Grass is his worst surface...But he was there...two weeks ago...in final against Roger "the king of grass"...and If I remember weel, it was not that easy for Fed.

I'm not saying, he'll win Wimbledon, of course not...But he is a threat in every tournament, sure.

Bibir
06-23-2005, 05:28 PM
i guess it's a big fluke Safin won the AO then. what was i thinking. :o
You're a teeny booper...You never use your brain...You/we don't need to think. :p

uNIVERSE mAN
06-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Going exactly according to plan, Oaf is a joke as usual.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-29-2005, 04:51 PM
:lol:

LaTenista
06-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Inevitable Federer - Roddick final now. So really was the draw that bad?

oneandonlyhsn
06-29-2005, 04:56 PM
C'mon, don't you remember this match point...BETWEEN THE LEGS...Marat didn't deserve to win. :)

And whose fault was that Roger :smash: probably the dumbest time to try a shot

Inevitable Federer - Roddick final now. So really was the draw that bad?

No I think the bottom half was a lot weaker than the top half. Bottom draw had no real grass court players and no upsets.
Unless you consider Nadal, Henman and Ljubo early exits upsets that is

uNIVERSE mAN
06-29-2005, 04:57 PM
must be when you can easily see those semi final matchups after the first day.

LaTenista
06-29-2005, 05:07 PM
No I think the bottom half was a lot weaker than the top half. Bottom draw had no real grass court players and no upsets.
Unless you consider Nadal, Henman and Ljubo early exits upsets that is

I agree but wasn't the top half stronger at RG as well? Henman was playing very bad, he's not having a good year - still shocking but not an upset considering. Nadal had 1 match on grass in 2 years before coming to Wimbledon, definitely wasn't considered a favorite. Ljubicic has never reached the 4th round of a major so personally I think an early exit for him is par for the course.

LaTenista
06-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Biggest upset this year: Murray over Stepanek. Guess he's wearing the "I'm the highest ranked player to never win a title" label real well.

LaTenista
06-29-2005, 05:12 PM
must be when you can easily see those semi final matchups after the first day.

The hype delivered. No surprise finalists a la AO or RG this year. But please no repeat of Fed-Hewitt final at USO, those bagels make think I was watching a women's match.

oneandonlyhsn
06-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Biggest upset this year: Murray over Stepanek. Guess he's wearing the "I'm the highest ranked player to never win a title" label real well.

Agree Stepanek is a bit :cuckoo: and he sure likes to bring out the worst in his opponents.

The hype delivered. No surprise finalists a la AO or RG this year. But please no repeat of Fed-Hewitt final at USO, those bagels make think I was watching a women's match.

:haha: The way Federer played last year, when he was on I felt sorry for his opponents. This year he is playing more tentatively

LaTenista
06-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Agree Stepanek is a bit :cuckoo: and he sure likes to bring out the worst in his opponents.

Funny how once when he was a losing a match he was whining to the chair umpire about getting a bottle of Coke. Ump told him his coach would have to get it for him. Strange tactics to try to throw off the other player :scratch: