Danai Udomchoke(THA) d. Stefan Koubek(AUT) 5-7,6-4,4-6,6-3,8-6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Danai Udomchoke(THA) d. Stefan Koubek(AUT) 5-7,6-4,4-6,6-3,8-6

jirobkk
06-21-2005, 07:09 PM
http://www.jirobkk.com/images/index-pik24.jpg

Danai through to Wimbledon second round

WIMBLEDON, England June 21, 2005
World No. 161 and qualifier Danai Udomchoke (http://www.jirobkk.com/player_profile_pik.htm) of Thailand had a sensational week at All England, reaching the second round of the grass Grand Slam for the first time of his career after defeating veteran Stefan Koubek of Austria in Wimbledon, London. The yesterday match was suspended due to darkness with both players took two sets each and 3-3 in the 5th set. When play resumed today, the Thai No. 2 took the upper hand in marathon match, breaking Koubek's serve in the final game of the decisive set to win the match in five gruelling set 5-7, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, 8-6 earlier today. Danai now plays 10th seed Mario Ancic of Croatia in second round.

" I was playing my left thigh injury. It happened when I was down 4 - 5 first set and I called the trainer three times in second set. I fought hard because I really want to win Grand Slam first round. " said the Thai 24-year-old who has made Wimbledon main draw for the first time ( His debut in Grand Slam main draw came in the US Open 2004 ).

Q1
UDOMCHOKE, Danai THA d. GICQUEL, Marc FRA 6-2,6-1 :)
Q2
UDOMCHOKE, Danai THA d. 24- MERTINAK, Michal SVK 6-3,6-1 :)
Final Q
UDOMCHOKE, Danai THA d. PRPIC, Filip SWE 7-5,6-4,6-1 :)

R1
UDOMCHOKE, Danai THA d. KOUBEK Stefan(AUT) 5-7,6-4,4-6,6-3,8-6 :worship:

Well done Pik, good luck against Ancic in 2nd round.

NYCtennisfan
06-21-2005, 07:49 PM
That is one sweet name!

DanEd
06-21-2005, 08:47 PM
glad udomchoke did not choke :)

croat123
06-21-2005, 08:51 PM
what's his game like?

mario better not lose tomorrow, last croat in the field (single worste grand slam by the croats since about 1999 - when iva and goran were both slumping/injured and we didn't have anyone else in the top100)

DanEd
06-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Ancic is the big favourite to win.

jirobkk
06-22-2005, 02:27 AM
glad udomchoke did not choke :)

UDOMCHOKE means " plenty of luck " :wavey:

TauRuZ
06-23-2005, 11:04 AM
playing above everyone's expectation against Super Mario , lost in 4 sets.

He made no unforced error in the lone set he won during this match

He could finish this year in Top100 if he Q for US Open again

MisterQ
06-23-2005, 02:19 PM
great results! :clap2:

TauRuZ
06-23-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm still wonder why Udomchoke still playing in Challenger when he could play like yesterday

Neely
06-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks for these great picks of him, Jirob. I enjoyed your album! :yeah:

Experimentee
06-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Great tournament for Danai. I hope this will give him confidence to continue the great results.
He does not have a powerful game, but he's very fast and light, and uses his speed and smart play to win. He is a nice guy, and I wish him good luck in the future!

DanEd
06-24-2005, 06:01 PM
He lose a tight match against Ancic, well done :).

jirobkk
06-25-2005, 06:30 PM
He lost to 10th-seeded Ancic in four set battle 7-6 (6-8) 3-6 6-3 6-3. he had set point in tie break first set but could not convert it.

WIMBLEDON: Danai down
Published on June 24, 2005

But Thai’s star shines a little brighter. When Danai Udomchoke arrives home on Saturday morning he will no longer be known as the tennis player who lives in the shadow of Paradorn Srichaphan and Tamarine Tanasugarn.

Despite his second round loss to big-serving Croat Mario Ancic on Wednesday night, the unheralded Danai captured the hearts of the fans and huge attention from the media after he pipped Stefan Koubeck of Austria in round one.

For more than two hours, he fought off a right leg injury to display impressive tennis to take a set from the 10th-seeded Ancic before losing in 7-6 (6-8) 3-6 6-3 6-3.

Danai, ranked just 161 in the world, became only the second Thai man in history after Paradorn to qualify for the main draw at All England in the open era. And when he progressed to the second round while Paradorn did not, the world realised a new tennis prodigy from Thailand had arrived on the scene.

At the moment, the 24-year-old Danai is overshadowing his more illustrious countryman and has been on the front pages of many newspapers. He said was prepared for a media onslaught, similar to what Paradorn experienced during his peak in 2002.

“I think I just have to be ready for that. I think I will have some rest to heal my leg for awhile, so there should not be any problem,’’ Danai told The Nation yesterday.

But no matter how big the reception waiting for him at home, Danai said he would maintain his ordinary and simple lifestyle even though more people will recognise him on the street.

“I will still be the same person. But I guess I might get more attention from people wherever I go,’’ said Danai whose confidence is sky high after matching it with Ancic, a semi-finalist at Wimbledon last year.

“Now I feel that I can play everybody. I might try to skip the challenge level and play more ATP events now,’’ said Danai who yesterday had his right leg scanned.

It was this injury that took the edge off his game against Ancic, who claimed a title on grass in the Netherlands less than a week ago. The Thai had set point against the Croat at 6-5 in the tie-break but lost after a double fault.

“If I feel sorry [in any way], it would be for giving him that first set. I could have shaken his confidence should I have taken that set,’’ the Thai said.

“I played very well even though my leg hurts. I could have played even better if I’d had no injury.” Danai sustained the injury during his match with Koubeck on Monday.

Danai applied superb returns and passing shots to break Ancic’s service game and win the 35-minute second set 6-3. But his injury was aggravated in the third set and before long he was trailing the towering Croat 0-5.

Danai called for a trainer and won three straight games before surrendering the set 3-6. The Thai was down an early break in the final set and had a chance to break back at 3-4. Ancic never made things easy for Danai, firing explosive serves and charging the net to dominate the rest of the match.

Danai will cancel his tour of Spain in order to rest at home. His next tournament will be the Davis Cup tie against Japan in Osaka next month.

jirobkk
06-25-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm still wonder why Udomchoke still playing in Challenger when he could play like yesterday

His confident is back after reaching the final of $25K Fergana, UZB and he won the title at $50K Busan Open in Korea in May.

His career high ranking is 149 ( 08 March 2004 ). And he started playing ATP tournies after March and you know he did not success. He also got an injury the whole year. And his confident was down. His ranking just improved after he reached the final in $25K Fergana, UZB and won the title at $50K Busan Open in Korea in May.

Now he said he feel that he can play every body. He might try to skip the challenge level and play more ATP events now.

Hope he will have a success in ATP level. :wavey:

jirobkk
06-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks for these great picks of him, Jirob. I enjoyed your album! :yeah:

You are welcome :D