OMG Haas freak accident !!!!!!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

OMG Haas freak accident !!!!!!!!

KarstenBraasch#1
06-21-2005, 05:37 PM
He was warming up with serves when a ball rolled towards him DURING his motion and he steps on it and twists his ankle.
His foot was swollen badly. :eek:

Pretty unfortunate to say the least. :o

Shabazza
06-21-2005, 05:39 PM
:sad:

snoop
06-21-2005, 05:45 PM
his ankle looked really bad :eek:
wonder how he managed to play for more than one set :(

tinuviel_estel
06-21-2005, 05:47 PM
poor Haas :sad: hope he'll get better very soon.

Purple Rainbow
06-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Haas should just retire.. :rolleyes:

Jogy
06-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Bad injury :(
Fucking ball kids who let this ball roll into the field instead of pick it up!!!!! :ras: :banghead: :fiery:

What a big joke you are KarstenBraasch#1! :haha: In the other thread you say it was pretty avoidable :haha:

Fumus
06-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Haas should just retire.. :rolleyes:

So should you!

Haas was just getting back to top form. Even though I hate him, I am sorry this happened to him.

KarstenBraasch#1
06-21-2005, 06:06 PM
I can't remember doing such a thing. :)

NYCtennisfan
06-21-2005, 06:06 PM
What horrible luck for Haas.

Purple Rainbow
06-21-2005, 06:10 PM
So should you!

Haas was just getting back to top form. Even though I hate him, I am sorry this happened to him.

I didn't expect this comment to come from a regular poster of the GM forum. If you can't grasp the sarcastic undertone directed to the thread starter you should read more and post less.

Jogy
06-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Purple Rainbow is an asshole :rolleyes:

Did you notice the "sarcastic tone"? ;)

joeb_uk
06-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Very strange, it was a total wipeout (haas was clean out on the floor). Did the ball roll on, or was it there before he started to serve? :shrug:

Neely
06-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Very strange, it was a total wipeout (haas was clean out on the floor). Did the ball roll on, or was it there before he started to serve? :shrug:
Tipsarevic practised a serve which bounced back back from the boards behind Haas and rolled exactly into the field when Haas landed with his right foot again on the ground after his practice serve. Bad twist.

Purple Rainbow
06-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Purple Rainbow is an asshole :rolleyes:

Did you notice the "sarcastic tone"? ;)

No I didn't. Keep trying though, mate! :p

joeb_uk
06-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Tipsarevic practised a serve which bounced back back from the boards behind Haas and rolled exactly into the field when Haas landed with his right foot again on the ground after his practice serve. Bad twist.
Yeah thought this must have been the case, because a ball shouldnt be sitting where it was (it should have been moved right away if it was there before). I know you shouldnt laugh, but it was quite funny to watch :tape:

Did look nasty though :eek:

Fumus
06-21-2005, 06:20 PM
I didn't expect this comment to come from a regular poster of the GM forum. If you can't grasp the sarcastic undertone directed to the thread starter you should read more and post less.

I grasped it when you posted it, just because you are being funny doesn't make it any less hurtful. Perhaps you should joke less and be serious more about such matters as not offend to anyone. Especially, in the certain cases where players are injured. :)

I am not a Haas fan, but c'mon... :o

Alright that's about enough serious posting for me today, now I must go caption silly pictures of players. :bolt:

Neely
06-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Oh yes, it was very funny when his ankle was at almost right angles with his leg!!!!!!!!!!

Fumus
06-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Oh yes, it was very funny when his ankle was at almost right angles with his leg!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Neely. :worship:

liptea
06-21-2005, 08:01 PM
:sad: I love Tommy Haas.

User ID 4783
06-21-2005, 08:16 PM
It looked horrible... i don't like Haas very much, but this is too bad.

nermo
06-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Poor Haas :sad: , the guy has been making a good job recently...well, hope he comes well soon..
But has this ever happened before??? :confused: it must have been one in a million accident ..the way he placed his foot on that ball exactly..

superpinkone37
06-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Poor Tommy. :sad:

DanEd
06-21-2005, 08:31 PM
poor Haas he is very unlucky.
he, Blake,Flip,coria and nalbandian are the unluckiest players on the ATP

RodLo
06-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Bad injury :(
Fucking ball kids who let this ball roll into the field instead of pick it up!!!!! :ras: :banghead: :fiery:

I bet you someone got a good yelling at. :eek: :rolleyes:

Jennay
06-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Unfortunate. :( Get well soon, Tommy. :hug:

jole
06-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Fucking twisted ankles can go to hell. Just got done dealing with one of my own. Sorry Tommy!

uNIVERSE mAN
06-21-2005, 11:09 PM
Well he's never historically done anything at Wimbledon anyway.

Scotso
06-22-2005, 12:16 AM
I see Janko's been working on his aim :devil:

Björki
06-22-2005, 06:35 AM
Poor Tommy :( I saw it on TV, terrible.

Ferrero Forever
06-22-2005, 08:09 AM
That was horrible. I hope he recovers quickly.

bad gambler
06-22-2005, 08:17 AM
:sad: I love Tommy Haas.

why because he is good looking? :rolleyes:

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Can't this guy catch a break, for golly's sake? I don't care about Haas, honestly, but that's just disheartening.

Get well soon.

MariaV
06-22-2005, 11:14 AM
So sad for Tommy. :sad: Bad luck indeed.

MariaV
06-22-2005, 11:15 AM
why because he is good looking? :rolleyes:

Shhh BG, can't you tell. ;)

Auscon
06-22-2005, 11:30 AM
saw the clip of him landing on the ball.......that was a heck of alot of swelling

Experimentee
06-22-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm not a fan but this is too bad :sad:
Stupid ball kids, they should know not to leave balls on the ground where players can step on it :rolleyes:
I hope someone got fired for that.

Nimomunz
06-22-2005, 11:56 AM
that swelin almost made me throw up my breakfast!!
ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the cat
06-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Poor Haas. :( I hope this isn't a year ending ankle injury. And I hope he didn't do alot of damage to his ankle trying to play on it for more than a set.

The thing that puzzles me most is why didn't someone like a ball boy or linesperson say "Tommy look out for the ball"! Unbelievable! :mad:

tennischick
06-22-2005, 01:56 PM
He was warming up with serves when a ball rolled towards him DURING his motion and he steps on it and twists his ankle.
His foot was swollen badly. :eek:

too bad for Haas. yes, this is very unfortunate.

my coach is pretty good about screaming out if there's a ball in the way of play. this is an injury he himself suffered in the exact same way, and now he's gotten us all paranoid about avoiding this type of danger.

the cat
06-22-2005, 02:10 PM
TC, you have a caring coach. :) I'm still dumbfounded why no one said anything to Haas about the ball when it was around his feet for a few seconds and several people on court with Haas had to have seen the ball near his feet by the baseline. :scratch:

tennischick
06-22-2005, 02:26 PM
TC, you have a caring coach. :) I'm still dumbfounded why no one said anything to Haas about the ball when it was around his feet for a few seconds and several people on court with Haas had to have seen the ball near his feet by the baseline. :scratch:
yes he's a sweetie but more importantly, he himself suffered the same experience. as a result we all (in our club) take care of each other and all tell each other to "move that ball near your left foot!" or whatever is required.

it's hard to blame anyone in the Haas situation when we don't know the exact circumstances. how fast did the ball rebound backwards? did Haas himself see the ball and chose to ignore it? where did the ball come from? (for instance, my sweetie almost suffered the same injury as a result of a ball that fell out of his own pocket). so unless i see a video of the entire event i'm gonna hold off blaming anybody. but at the end of the day, this is one of the most likely injuries in tennis and also one of the most unfortunate.

the cat
06-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Good point TC about it might be hard to lay the blame on any one person for Haas stepping on a tennis ball during warmups. Sadly I suppose it's true that stepping on a tennis ball is a common injury in tennis. :( But I don't think I've ever seen this happen in a grand slam before.

And TC, Detective Cat has put 2 and 2 together and come up with your tennis coach is also your sweetie. :D :yeah: ;)

Neely
06-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Stupid ball kids, they should know not to leave balls on the ground where players can step on it :rolleyes:
It wasn't like that it was the clear fault of the ball kids. Jogy was much too hard on the ball kids when he swore on them. They can't pick up every ball immediately during warm up, especially when the players do practice serves before the match. Tipsarevic served and the ball bounced right back from the board behind Haas and rolled into the field, exactly the location where Haas landed after hitting his serve. No chance to avoid that unless a ball kid is standing exactly near the center service line jugde at that moment.

tennischick
06-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Good point TC about it might be hard to lay the blame on any one person for Haas stepping on a tennis ball during warmups. Sadly I suppose it's true that stepping on a tennis ball is a common injury in tennis. :( But I don't think I've ever seen this happen in a grand slam before.
see Neely's post. if this is what actually occurred, it was simply a freak accident. if the ball came back really fast from the back wall, then the ballboy would have to practically be standing under Haas to have prevented this accident. not sure that the coach yelling makes much of a difference in the situation.

And TC, Detective Cat has put 2 and 2 together and come up with your tennis coach is also your sweetie. :D :yeah: ;)
i wish :sad: then it would mean that we were living in the same place. unfortunately we are countries apart. but not for long now since i finally took the damn exam. now just waiting for the results and preparing to do Part 2 which is a whole lot quicker and easier.

name_change
06-22-2005, 04:06 PM
really sad because he could have won a few rounds here.

the cat
06-22-2005, 04:41 PM
TC, sorry I took some time to reply, but I was at Boston Market for lunch. :lick: I think you're right about how the loose ball got to Haas before anyone could do anything about it.

While it's too bad that your sweetie isn't your tennis coach, atleast he can talk tennis with you and help you in your game. And good luck on part 2 of your exam. :D But don't let Wimbledon get in the way of studying for it. Unless Coria is playing of course. ;)

Neely
06-22-2005, 05:51 PM
I've just watched the scene again more closely. It's hard to say whether Hass realistically COULD have seen the ball rolling into the field, but under normal circumstances I would say that you don't watch your feet when you are already in the middle of your service motion. At least it wouldn't be in my vision because I'm focusing the ball and the other side at this moment.

for those who didn't see it, I've cut out this specific scene of his match yesterday to download:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=193MWWTE
(26 MB, MPEG2 codec required to play)

Lee
06-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the clip, Neely. I think if ballboys were paying attention, they should have enough time to warn Haas. The ball was sitting there before Haas start his practise serve, not just rolled there when he's moving.

Neely
06-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the clip, Neely. I think if ballboys were paying attention, they should have enough time to warn Haas. The ball was sitting there before Haas start his practise serve, not just rolled there when he's moving.
Maybe they could have warned him. But I saw it differently than you: He already had started his serve motion as the ball was sitting. It's not that the ball was sitting and then he started to serve. And that's the important thing, not when Haas moved.

Had he bounced the ball before starting to serve like during normal play, he might have noticed it in time. But when you're already in the motion for your serve, you normally don't watch your feet anymore and it's not anymore in your field of vision.

gabnouwop
06-22-2005, 06:43 PM
poor Tommy, get well soon ;)

Scotso
06-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Janko probably payed the ball kids. He's a mastermind.

If he keeps going like this he'll win Wimbledon

tennischick
06-23-2005, 01:19 AM
TC, sorry I took some time to reply, but I was at Boston Market for lunch. :lick: I think you're right about how the loose ball got to Haas before anyone could do anything about it.

While it's too bad that your sweetie isn't your tennis coach, atleast he can talk tennis with you and help you in your game. And good luck on part 2 of your exam. :D But don't let Wimbledon get in the way of studying for it. Unless Coria is playing of course. ;)
Boston Market :toothy: thanks but nothing can distract me. ;)

and yes the hombre is an awesome tennis player. he also plays soccer. :couple:

DanEd
06-23-2005, 01:40 AM
a new ferrer? :o
Janko probably payed the ball kids. He's a mastermind.

If he keeps going like this he'll win Wimbledon

Doctor Dance
06-23-2005, 01:55 AM
poor tommy :sad:

LaTenista
06-23-2005, 03:33 AM
a new ferrer? :o

Very funny! What's next, you're going to blame Malisse's suspension on him as well? :rolleyes: