The times when he maby could win Wimbledon are over, this today is pathetic

MATTHIAS
06-21-2005, 05:37 PM
but it seems he is winning in 5 sets
so the crowds will love him for the great comeback in the match

Scotso
06-21-2005, 05:38 PM
why?

he still bounces around on his opponent's second serve better than anyone in the game :rolleyes:

Exodus
06-21-2005, 05:41 PM
the bookmakers are crazy they actually rate Henman chances to win Wimbledon over Safins

Scotso
06-21-2005, 05:43 PM
the bookmakers are crazy they actually rate Henman chances to win Wimbledon over Safins

we're still waiting on the crazy part...

Jogy
06-21-2005, 07:08 PM
who should retireing is Karsten Braasch and KarstenBraasch#1

joeb_uk
06-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Crazy! tim has about 2% chance of winning it, he doesnt have it in his game i feel, just not good enough. With safin, he has the game (but at times not the brain).

tinuviel_estel
06-21-2005, 07:32 PM
good for him:woohoo: but, hope he'll do better next time :)

Sjengster
06-21-2005, 11:28 PM
why?

he still bounces around on his opponent's second serve better than anyone in the game :rolleyes:

What bouncing around? I've never noticed it, the commentators have never noticed it, I've never seen any opponent put off by it - this is a feeble excuse for the loss of Nieminen, who simply wasn't good enough to put Henman away.

RodLo
06-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Way to go, Timmy! :woohoo:

Kristen
06-22-2005, 04:39 AM
He played like such a halfwit/boofhead/retard in the first two and a bit sets. Why the hell couldn't he keep doing that! Thanks for keeping me up til after 3am Tim. Ass :ras:

PS. Before today, and possibly, after next week, I am a bit of a Tim fan. But, not when he does thinks like this :tape:

lucashg
06-22-2005, 04:52 AM
I don't know what he was thinking, he really shouldn't have gone all the way to 5 sets against Nieminen.

Congrats for the comeback, Tim! Although it was much your job to do so :p I want him to get to the quarters, he really needs to pick up some points. His season has been so disappointing.

Kristen
06-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Love this page:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4099458.stm

Especially this quote:
The nation cannot help being captivated by a man who played like Stan Laurel for the first two sets and Harry Houdini for the following three.
Dave Kidd, The Sun

Kristen
06-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Seriously... when I hear Brits talking about him, it's one or the other. Like Scud said (or was it Lleyton?!) "They love you when you're winning". I find it so hard to believe that people can sincerely keep the faith for so long.

On the front page of this newspaper yesterday were blazed the following sentences: “Is this the last, last chance of them all? The end to the final annual ritual called Henmania? England does not expect. Not any more. But by God, England hopes.”
An inspiring assertion by any standard. And it appears to have inspired Tim Henman, not Jarkko Nieminen, a journeyman from Finland. Well it did eventually. After a period when a less-happy ending appeared, to some of a weak disposition, to be more plausible, victory arrived. On Henman Hill they wept into their champagne (and not merely at the price of it) and virtually choked on their strawberries for the better part of two hours. These sad fatalists were muttering remarks such as “at least the agony is over quickly this year” and “does Rafael Nadal have a British uncle?”
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,542-1663559,00.html

Now Nieminen is a talented man but he had been badly underbriefed as to his role this Wimbledon. It was entirely appropriate for him to seize the first two sets — this is an established aspect of the procedure during which Henman incites heart attacks all over the nation before dragging himself into the last eight or, on four occasions, the semi-finals, before losing to some automaton American or a Croat with a serve that moves faster than a black market ticket for the men’s final. But for some disturbing moments his rival seemed to be under the impression that he would triumph.

We always knew better. Having blown away a few cobwebs, we trust that Henman will blow away the opposition, at least some of it. England (indeed, all of Britain) might not expect. There is still hope.

JMG
06-22-2005, 04:36 PM
What bouncing around? I've never noticed it, the commentators have never noticed it, I've never seen any opponent put off by it - this is a feeble excuse for the loss of Nieminen, who simply wasn't good enough to put Henman away.

Are you serious? Henman is famous for doing that!

Sjengster
06-22-2005, 11:10 PM
I know what you're talking about, but that's just his normal returning stance. It's nothing unusual or extreme, it seems to help him anticipate the serve, and I've never seen any opponent visibly affected by it - Kratochvil served 17 double faults against him back in 2002 because he has a lousy second serve, not because of Henman's movement.

gooner88
06-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Good luck Tim tomorrow.
Should beat Tursunov in 3-4 sets tomorrow.