2005: End of the road for Agassi? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2005: End of the road for Agassi?

undomiele
06-21-2005, 02:34 AM
I agree with this guy in thinking it will be his last year. For real. :sad:

The end for Agassi?
Sun Sentinel
June 20, 2005

Andre Agassi's decision to forgo Wimbledon was no surprise. It's fairly clear that he has balanced the other things in his life (wife, two children, charities) against the pain of playing and the fact that he has won all four Slams and has nothing left to prove, and arrived at a decision.

That would be to take a final cortisone injection after Wimbledon (the injection 's effect lasts about three months), and that will allow him to play one or two lead-up tournaments to the U.S. Open, where he will play his final event.

It's instructive to repeat Agassi's emotional words about tennis following his first-round loss at the French Open:

"It's what I do until I don't do it anymore. And it's given me a lot. I'll assess the necessary components at the end of the year, but I can't afford to pollute the potential of my winning matches or tournaments with sitting on the fence, with where I am, what I'm doing, why I'm doing it. You know, some things you have to question. Other things you have to not question. You have to just put your head down and work."

DanEd
06-21-2005, 02:38 AM
yes this is his last season

Devotee
06-21-2005, 02:43 AM
In a way, yes, this will be a sad moment.

On the other hand, U.S. fans might get to see more foreign players' matches on TV when Agassi's no longer in the draw.

RogersGirl
06-21-2005, 02:52 AM
i agree devotee. but it will be a very sad day for me when he retires. sort of the end of an era. gone are the sampras/agassi/chang days. i mean they've been over, but this will sort of seal the deal. there's great new talent, but i grew up watching agassi and his peers. c'est la vie!

VingaRafel
06-21-2005, 03:04 AM
It's the circle or life.... la la la la... :silly:

If he is able to rebounce this summer and have an ok US Open he might still hang around. He if he's out for the remain of the season, I can see him throwing the towell. It will be very, very hard for him to get back to the top.
It's too bad because he is a legend, and it will take years untill someone like Roger actually becomes a legend.

There is something special about seeing Andre still play. I just wish him the best.

LaTenista
06-21-2005, 03:46 AM
Well, not get too many hopes up but maybe Andre will pull a Lindsay? Last year after her lost at Wimby she basically said this was it, she was going to retire at the end of the year. Then she started playing great, won 3 or 4 titles going into the US Open and became No. 1 in the world again so she decided to keep going.

Honestly at this time last year I thought Agassi's career was about over. When he came to TMS Cincinnati though, he played awesome and served very well, beating Roddick, Moya, and Hewitt to win the title - I feel so lucky I was able to witness it first hand. Definitely the best surprise of the summer.

ultraX
06-21-2005, 04:12 AM
that will be a sad moment but I think Agassi has prouved to us he's the best athlete ever. I think we'll only see him again @US Open this year and it will probably his last tournament just like Michael Chang has announced his retirement in 2002 after Chang lost in first round to Gonzalez. Damn I still remember of that moment...

Leo
06-21-2005, 04:21 AM
In a way, yes, this will be a sad moment.

On the other hand, U.S. fans might get to see more foreign players' matches on TV when Agassi's no longer in the draw.

This is what I'm looking forward to.

BAMJ6
06-21-2005, 04:25 AM
that will be a sad moment but I think Agassi has prouved to us he's the best athlete ever. I think we'll only see him again @US Open this year and it will probably his last tournament just like Michael Chang has announced his retirement in 2002 after Chang lost in first round to Gonzalez. Damn I still remember of that moment...

1. Chang's retirement was in 2003.

2. I agree he won't last much longer. However, i really think he'll be like Chang and do a farewell tour in 2006, except for Roland Garros of course. That way, he can make one final Wimbledon trip.

ultraX
06-21-2005, 04:37 AM
Where did u hear that Chang will do a farewell tour in 2006??

2. I agree he won't last much longer. However, i really think he'll be like Chang and do a farewell tour in 2006, except for Roland Garros of course. That way, he can make one final Wimbledon trip.

BAMJ6
06-21-2005, 04:41 AM
Where did u hear that Chang will do a farewell tour in 2006??

I meant Chang's farewell tour was in 2003, not in 2002. Agassi's farewell tour is very likely in 2006.

RodLo
06-21-2005, 04:45 AM
It'll be a shame to see Andre go, but he's played some amazing years of tennis. I just wish him the best in what will most likely be his last few tournaments and hope to see him go out with a bang. :)

ys
06-21-2005, 04:46 AM
Somehow I think that Agassi will play in next year Australian - his most successful Slam.

megadeth
06-21-2005, 05:58 AM
i think he'll just want to win just 1 more title to make it an even 60 and end it on a high note. hopefully, it would be in one of the tournaments he had the most success in - either AO, Miami, Legg Mason, Cincinnati, or even San Jose...

just one more Andre, please...

megadeth
06-21-2005, 06:07 AM
Come to think of it, Andre’s won every title worth winning at least once except for Hamburg and Monte Carlo

1. All Slams on 4 different surfaces (hte only man with this record) (the other 4 did the career slam on a predominantly grass court surface back then)
2. 7 out of 9 TMS – Indian Wells, Miami, Rome, Toronto, Cincy, Madrid, and Paris
3. Tennis Masters Cup
4. Olympic Gold
5. Davis Cup

what more has he got to prove?

Nimomunz
06-21-2005, 04:32 PM
i hope he goes out on a high and not slinking through the back door with back pain!! :wavey:

name_change
06-21-2005, 04:42 PM
andre :sobbing: i'm not ready for you to stop. :sobbing: bigcry:

nermo
06-21-2005, 08:15 PM
It's what I do until I don't do it anymore. And it's given me a lot. I'll assess the necessary components at the end of the year, but I can't afford to pollute the potential of my winning matches or tournaments with sitting on the fence, with where I am, what I'm doing, why I'm doing it. You know, some things you have to question. Other things you have to not question. You have to just put your head down and work."

:yeah: well, i think it's time Andre :sad: ...
too bad, and it 'll be a verrrry sad event for lots of fans all over the world(including me)..but this year i think 'll be the last proper time

joseluismb
06-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Yea... i get the feeling too...

And i feel rather sad... you know, i am a BIG, BIG BIG BIG fan of Andre's.... but everything has to come to an end... and i think he has already acomplished what his potential and talent let him.

I jut hope he qualifies for the masters and that he makes it good in Shangai... However, I wouldn't mind seeing something like Pete's 2002 US OPEN...