Sampras of old [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sampras of old

tennis4you
07-24-2002, 02:44 PM
This is my first post here although I may have run into many of you at my site's message board, so hi!

Since we moved into our new house we have been living without cable tv. (Of coarse the cable guy will be at our place Saturday to hook us up). So last night I was bored and tired of watching Barney with my daughter so I popped in the 1994 Wimbledon final, Sampras vs Ivanisevic.

Sampras looked so young, so fresh, so fast. It kills me to see him today. Just this morning I read an article that Agassi said he has been training hard and taking out his frustration with early losses this summer and using it as fuel for his training. Sampras needs to get with that program. No matter how hard they say Pete is training, I think he needs to train harder. He needs to run hills on Christmas day like Agassi has.

Anyways, it was neat to see Pete from 8 years ago. Very interesting. Neat to hear McEnroe and Cliff talk to each other about the possibilities of Pete winning many Wimbledons. 94 was only his 2nd.

Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.***************

Chloe le Bopper
07-24-2002, 02:59 PM
awwww Pete :sad:

THan again I really don't feel sorry about the guy..... I mean what he has accomplished is unbelievable, so if he doesn't go out with a bang, then he doesn't.

Anyhow, didn't you used to post on tennisweek too?

Welcome to the board either way :)

tennis4you
07-24-2002, 03:04 PM
I have posted around. I usually just post at my board, but I like to meet new people too! I haven't been to Tennisweek for a while. :)

It would be a miracle if he could go out with a bang!

Scott Baker

Chloe le Bopper
07-24-2002, 03:07 PM
Maybe he can have another good US Open run.

It could happen, I mean look at what he did with that awful draw last year :o

tennis4you
07-24-2002, 03:08 PM
He has made the last 2 finals, that has to count for something. I just hope he is training his butt off right now. Unfortuently I see another early exit if he doesn't step it up.

Scott Baker

Chloe le Bopper
07-24-2002, 03:10 PM
Yes, it would be a shame to see him not at least have a respectable run..

I don't usually really root for Sampras, but I respect what he has done, and it would be nice for him and his fans to see him stick this out for a good reason in the end.

But regardless of results, I think he should play the game as long as he deems fit :)

Dissident
07-24-2002, 05:54 PM
As Becca, Im dont really root for him, but he has to be respected. I also agree he has accheived enough to classify him as one of the best players ever, no matter what happens from now on. Last year´s USOpen was great when you remember who he had to beat and how great he played, and he was also on a bad year. This one is even worse, but you never know... He has some chances on this warming up events, although he skipping this week will hurt his ranking. He has two Masters Series on a good surface for him, so maybe that can help´to some extent.
I dont think he can do as good as he did the last two years at the USOpen this year, but maybe if he reach the semis or even the quarters it would be great. :)

BTW, hey there Scott. We had some interesting talks on Tennisweek a while ago. Good to see you around! :wavey:

Sean
07-24-2002, 05:57 PM
Pete will be back.

No doubt a champion never dies. :D

Chloe le Bopper
07-24-2002, 06:01 PM
Good luck to your man Sean :wavey:

I like to quietly cheer for people that have been written off, just cause I like to see then eventually succeed, then see the detractors squirm.

What can I saw - I'm evil :D

Dissident
07-24-2002, 06:13 PM
Lol, Becca, those would be exactly my words... Id be the first to rub in. :p

tennis4you
07-24-2002, 07:12 PM
I have some co-workers who are always quick to let me know the next day when i come into work if Pete lost at a slam ro something. (Liek I didn't know) I would love to rub it in too. of coarse i had 6-7 years where I got to rub it in a lot! HEEEEEE

Scott

Hadas
07-25-2002, 04:09 AM
Pete is my all time favorite tennis player, so of course, I'm going to be rooting untill the day he announces he's done. I disagree with people who say he should have stopped in his last win at Wimby. When he decides he can't train or doesn't want to train, then that's that. I don't think alot of us who still support him endlessly are looking for that big bang to go out. It is really hard to watch him play now, but I'd rather have him keep playing than stopping when he feels like he can still play!

So I agree, the champ will be back! :)

kalforpete
07-25-2002, 04:46 AM
I agree Hadas with everything you said.

Pete is my favorite player and I agree that Pete should keep playing as long as he feels like he can and he is willing to put out the effort to train which it's obvious he's been doing.
It is definitely painful watching him making all of these early exits but I still think he has it in him to win a couple of more Slams.

Do I think he will? Only if he gets his confidence back. Yes, I know that sounds like a contradiction and maybe it is. He feels like he can be a contender but yet when he gets on the court these days he doesn't appear to be the confident Pete we've seen all these years. It's an indecisive Pete we see these days. One who appears unsure of himself. To me, that's more painful to watch than him losing.

Malaye
07-25-2002, 08:48 AM
Hi everybody :wavey:

As you can see, this is my first post ever on the Atp forum, and only Pete could drive me to do this ;) I am happy to "meet" some of his admirers, who still believe he has it in him to go out with a bang.
I feel like I have known Pete for years though I only really started following him after that match full of drama he played against Jim Courrier at the A.O. That match made an everlasting impression on me, and I have been admiring his class, cool and talents ever since.

Whatever happens now won't make any difference to me. Win or loose, I will always cheer for him. After all, he gave me so much joy (the 5 sets thriller quarterfinal vs Jim Courrier at the French, the epic match with Corretja at the US open (was it in 96 ?), last year's fantastic campaign at the US Open again, his duels with Becker, Andre...and the list goes on and on).

For most of his career, he looked like he was a player from another planet,which makes it all the more painful to watch him struggling now. But whatever happens, I will always cheer for him, and who knows what he is capable of. If he remembers who he is, he might surprise us all !

Oops, sorry for this long post. I guess I got carried away...

tennischick
07-25-2002, 11:01 AM
all this reminiscing! :eek: you know things are bad when you have to reach back to old glories to evoke admiration for his performance. as a non-fan, it's just not my style to gloat as Pete fumbles his way downhill. i preferred it when he was still a threat bec then i could have fun making fun of him. he's such an easy person to caricature! but now that he looks like a shadow of his former formidable self, i find it hard to unleash the claws. who woulda thunk it!? now i too will have to bask in the memories of the days when i ripped into him with relish. it was fun...;) ;)

nice to see you Scott! welcome to the other posters as well. some of my best friends are Pete-o-holics! ;) ;) i swear! :D

tennis4you
07-25-2002, 12:02 PM
Hee, of coarse I had a dream he won WImbledon again last night. I should of known I was dreaming. :)

Malaye
07-25-2002, 02:37 PM
Premonitory, maybe :)

RonE
12-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Wow, this seemed like it was in a different lifetime- that summer of 2002!

And yes, it was amazing that Pete did go out with a bang, and what a bang it was!!! There are no words to describe how I felt even today after that amazing sprint to the USO title.

Hi everybody :wavey:

As you can see, this is my first post ever on the Atp forum, and only Pete could drive me to do this ;) I am happy to "meet" some of his admirers, who still believe he has it in him to go out with a bang.
I feel like I have known Pete for years though I only really started following him after that match full of drama he played against Jim Courrier at the A.O. That match made an everlasting impression on me, and I have been admiring his class, cool and talents ever since.

Whatever happens now won't make any difference to me. Win or loose, I will always cheer for him. After all, he gave me so much joy (the 5 sets thriller quarterfinal vs Jim Courrier at the French, the epic match with Corretja at the US open (was it in 96 ?), last year's fantastic campaign at the US Open again, his duels with Becker, Andre...and the list goes on and on).

For most of his career, he looked like he was a player from another planet,which makes it all the more painful to watch him struggling now. But whatever happens, I will always cheer for him, and who knows what he is capable of. If he remembers who he is, he might surprise us all !

Oops, sorry for this long post. I guess I got carried away...

Wow- this must be my long lost twin soul- that is exactly how I came to admire Pete too and that was when I first became interested in tennis (AO 1995). Too bad you left after only 4 posts :sad:

Thanks for the memories everyone :wavey:

LiZpHaIr
12-15-2004, 11:10 PM
That was fun to read.

wimbledonfan
12-16-2004, 02:46 AM
I really miss Pete Sampras for all his epic matches . He truly inspired me in many ways and for that i'm truly thankful .

Pete Sampras , the greatest champion of all time !!

Booshie
12-16-2004, 03:45 AM
I don't know if anyone is interested, but on January 16 ESPN Classic is going to be airing the 1995 Australian Open Final between Sampras and Agassi. I know that I'm going to be watching it for sure, because it has been two years now since I've seen Sampras play, and I think I need a little reminder of the greatness!

SwissMister1
12-16-2004, 02:12 PM
I don't know if anyone is interested, but on January 16 ESPN Classic is going to be airing the 1995 Australian Open Final between Sampras and Agassi. I know that I'm going to be watching it for sure, because it has been two years now since I've seen Sampras play, and I think I need a little reminder of the greatness!

And I can mock my friend for just spending 15 dollars on that exact match on DVD. It will be nice to see that match, though.

Whistleway
12-16-2004, 02:28 PM
wow. classic thread !!

thanks Booshie

Gigan
12-16-2004, 09:15 PM

It was a perfect game AO final in 1995... But...
If yore Pete's fans, guys, don't watch it... ;)

RonE
12-17-2004, 08:23 PM
It was a perfect game AO final in 1995... But...
If yore Pete's fans, guys, don't watch it... ;)

Yes *groans*

I still kept the tape of that final after all these years. It was one of the more painful losses but Andre just could do no wrong on that day- he was awesome :worship:

Deboogle!.
12-17-2004, 08:28 PM
aw Pete!!

Maybe I'll pull out my DVD of the 2002 USO final and watch it :)

mitalidas
12-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Wow- this must be my long lost twin soul- that is exactly how I came to admire Pete too and that was when I first became interested in tennis (AO 1995).
hey, we were the "long lost" twins!

tennis4you
12-17-2004, 08:39 PM
That is funny someone drug up my first post here, awww, the memories.

RonE
12-17-2004, 09:11 PM
hey, we were the "long lost" twins!

We can be triplets now ;)

J/K we still are :hug: