Safin vs Philippoussis

Auscon
06-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Who will take it?

Safin was on fire against Paradorn, 46 winners - 13 UE
Mark not far off against Beck, 47 winners - 19 UE

Safin leads h2h 4-1, but they havent played on Grass

Safin + Confidence = bad news for his opponents

but ofcourse Wimbledon + Philippoussis = who knows what can happen :)

MariaV
06-20-2005, 07:19 PM
LOL Auscon, I really don't know whom to vote. I just hope it's gonna be a wonderful match. I won't be devastated if Marat loses and can take care of his knee.

Tennis Fool
06-20-2005, 09:05 PM
In his interview, which was occuring during the Beck/Flip match, Marat said he wasn't 100% sure Flip would win. Marat had practiced with KB earlier that day. Should be a very interesting match.

PaulieM
06-20-2005, 09:07 PM
i hope mark :)

flip_fan
06-20-2005, 09:14 PM
mark!

Golfnduck
06-20-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm leaning toward Safin since he played well at Halle and just beat Pdorn on grass. But I think it will be a close match.

Tennis Fool
06-20-2005, 09:15 PM
H2H: Safin leads Flip 4-1
Flip hasn't beaten him since 1999. If he loses again, he'll officially be Safn's pigeon (according to GWH).

Bibir
06-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Who will take it?

Safin was on fire against Paradorn, 46 winners - 13 UE
Mark not far off against Beck, 47 winners - 19 UE

Safin leads h2h 4-1, but they havent played on Grass

Safin + Confidence = bad news for his opponents

but ofcourse Wimbledon + Philippoussis = who knows what can happen :)
Safin + Confidence - (Philippoussis + Wimbledon) = Battle of serve? :confused:

Denise
06-20-2005, 09:52 PM
SAFINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

No doubts! :)

Vass
06-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Marat will win. Of course he will.

Halba
06-20-2005, 10:33 PM
my heart wants flip to win

my mind says safin...he's so much better

rofe
06-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Even though Paradorn didn't play well, Marat's composure on court was very encouraging. He seemed very calm and collected unlike the Marat we usually get to see. I think his game is much better than Flip's game because he doesn't need to just rely on his serve. Also, his return of serve is quite good and could negate Flip's serve and volley game.

If Marat's knee holds up, Flip will say bye-bye to Wimbly.

Bilbo
06-20-2005, 10:49 PM
flip is a part time player and role model with no brain. his return game is one of the worst on tour. safin will rip him a new one.

superpinkone37
06-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Marat :).

azza
06-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Marat 6-4 6-3 7-6(3) :sad:

Fedex
06-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Should be a great match, but since Safin clearly has the better and more consistent return of serve, I have to go with Safin.

flip_fan
06-20-2005, 11:24 PM
Even though Paradorn didn't play well, Marat's composure on court was very encouraging. He seemed very calm and collected unlike the Marat we usually get to see. I think his game is much better than Flip's game because he doesn't need to just rely on his serve. Also, his return of serve is quite good and could negate Flip's serve and volley game.

If Marat's knee holds up, Flip will say bye-bye to Wimbly.

it wasnt just marks serve that was impressive. his forehand was huge, and his volleys were sharp. i watched marats game, and whilst i was impressed with safin, paradorn didnt really show much. i didnt think marats returns were anything special either, but he is extremely talented... i still think the semi against federer is one of the best matches ive seen in terms of quality... but i know mark would want this match bad and generally in his own freakish way rises to occassions like this... it reminds me of the 4th rd agassi match. agassi was ranked no.1 wasnt he in 2003? and mark was dead-set not expected to win, so anything can happen i just hope no matter what the result its a competitve match.

NYCtennisfan
06-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Marat 6-4 6-3 7-6(3)

That sounds about right. It could change if Flip comes out serving really well which he didn't do today. He needs to be hitting the big bombs right from the start which will annoy Marat and then perhaps he will start to make errors on his own service games. Perhpas some good derving early, goes to a 1st set TB, then who knows? If not, Marat in a runaway.

oneandonlyhsn
06-21-2005, 12:05 AM
flip is a part time player and role model with no brain. his return game is one of the worst on tour. safin will rip him a new one.

Ah the power of Peter Lundgren. Safin all the way for me. Come on Safinator.

Billabong
06-21-2005, 12:09 AM
Good luck to both guys, but I would love to see a very tight match:D! I like both players:)!

I remember their Paris 2000 final, one of the best matches I've seen:eek:!!!!!

its.like.that
06-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Pussy doesn't have a hope in hell ;)

its.like.that
06-21-2005, 12:14 AM
despite how much Newcombe talks him up :p

wipeout
06-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Safin and Philippoussis' serving stats were very similar today but with an edge to Marat with a better first serve percentage.

A difference is that Mark goes for a bit more on the second serve and Marat doesn't so much and almost never double faults so maybe that'll be important with tiebreaks and break-points.

Srichaphan has a bigger and much faster serve than Beck but got fewer aces and was broken pretty much just as often.

I think Marat's going to win. I hope it's a good match whatever happens.

Kristine
06-21-2005, 02:18 AM
I'm a huge Marat fan, so I hope he wins. He played great against Pdorn yesterday... so it looks like he's in good form. I think the biggest obstacle might be his knee as oppose to Philippoussis himself.

LaTenista
06-21-2005, 03:08 AM
As much as I am delighted Flip is getting serious about tennis and winning matches again, my brain is telling me Safin will win. The 2003 final is replaying vividly in my head and Mark didn't have any answers for returning Federer's serves so I don't think he's going to fair much better with Marat's. Ought to be interesting match though - might be able to see it on ESPN if there's not an American playing at the same time.

drf716
06-21-2005, 03:20 AM
i keep picturing marat falling to his knees. is it the injury or because he won?

rofe
06-21-2005, 03:40 AM
i keep picturing marat falling to his knees. is it the injury or because he won?

I doubt he will fall to his knees if he wins. It is the second round after all. He may hit the ball in the air like he did today or do the "I-am-done" gesture after his semis win over Federer.

Consigliere
06-21-2005, 04:15 AM
History means little with these two. They're both unpredictable. I'll pick Mark because I believe he wants it a bit more than Marat.

AZILANA
06-21-2005, 05:38 AM
My heart tells me it is Marat who will win, he's been more consistent in terms of results this past half year, though he siad grass is his least favorite surface, I beg to differ, I've seen how he played against Paradorn, he was seeing the ball as a football and rarely missed on his returns though Paradorn was serving into 130 mph...

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-21-2005, 05:44 AM
Safin + Confidence - (Philippoussis + Wimbledon) = Battle of serve? :confused:Battle of return, I'd say.

World Beater
06-21-2005, 06:55 AM
Battle of return, I'd say.

Battle of return=Battle of serve...after all they are related. If Mark serves better, it could be interpreted as marat returned badly.

Battle of serves sounds more realistic, as everyone with half a brain knows that Marat is a better returner.

Levo.
06-21-2005, 07:19 AM
Flip in 4 :D

~lindsay~
06-21-2005, 07:46 AM
marat in 3 :)

Exodus
06-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Marat will win this, Andy beat Mark really easy in Queens so Marat will do the same

Puschkin
06-21-2005, 09:41 AM
Marat, if he keeps his composure.

Deivid23
06-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Marat hates to play against big servers even more on grass, have to remind :rolleyes:

Halba
06-21-2005, 10:19 AM
yeah i'd say marat straight sets..with one set going to a tiebreak..he was so BUSINESSLIKE today it was amazing

No tantrums no struggles nothing

even the break points towards the end he handled calmly with a bunch of aces...he's looking really flash

he is volleying like a pro..

In fact i'd say Marat only needs to play at 60-70% to beat Flippa, but Flippa needs 100% to beat Marat

Puschkin
06-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Marat hates to play against big servers even more on grass, have to remind :rolleyes:

Good point. What I meant was if he doesn't get disturbed or furious by some very powerful play by Mark (which won't last through the whole match in my view) and keeps his focus, he will win it.

Levo.
06-21-2005, 10:31 AM
if Flip starts off well, he'll frustrate Safin.

Start like he did against Beck and he'll struggle.

Deivid23
06-21-2005, 10:33 AM
I´ve seen several matches from Scud last week in Queens and Hertogenbosch and yesterday against Beck and he´s improving at each game. He´s still far from his best form but we all know how Safin can drive himself nuts when he starts receiving service winner after service winner. Then a typical fall in concentration at one service game, a bad bounce or a netted fh, can make him lose his serve and then turn ugly. I see this as a close match, surprised of reading such a huge confidence on Marat around

MariaV
06-21-2005, 10:41 AM
I´ve seen several matches from Scud last week in Queens and Hertogenbosch and yesterday against Beck and he´s improving at each game. He´s still far from his best form but we all know how Safin can drive himself nuts when he starts receiving service winner after service winner. Then a typical fall in concentration at one service game, a bad bounce or a netted fh, can make him lose his serve and then turn ugly. I see this as a close match, surprised of reading such a huge confidence on Marat around
Anything can get Marat off the balance, he can play like a S&V god one day and like a total moron the next.
Like at RG - an almost perfect play vs JCF and totally frustrating vs Tommy R. in the next rd.

CooCooCachoo
06-21-2005, 10:46 AM
I actually want Philippoussis to win :o

~lindsay~
06-21-2005, 10:52 AM

im australian, and i feel very unpatriotic... but i really want marat to win!

Auscon
06-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Marat will win this, Andy beat Mark really easy in Queens so Marat will do the same

doesnt mean too much though, I mean Beck gave Andy plenty of problems at Queens, whereas Flip had little trouble with him here

Mark just can't afford to start off slowly like he did against Beck...he needs to come out firing like he was in the latter part of that first set, and then the final 2 sets....get on top of Marat early

as has been said, if he can dominate on serve early, making Marat feel as though he doesnt have much say at all in what happens when he's returning, then thats the best chance he has of getting Marat frustrated

Ferrero Forever
06-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Ok this is my logic.
Safin=Good Serve, Phillippoussis=Good Serve 0-0
Safin=Injured, Phillippoussis=Coming back 0-0
Safin=can play great, can play terrible, Phillippousssis=can play great can play terrible 0-0
Safin=Anti-Wimbledon, Phillippoussis=Pro-Wimbledon 0-1

Therefore I think Phillippoussis will win, but I really want Safin to win.

mer
06-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Ok this is my logic.
Safin=can play great, can play terrible, Phillippousssis=can play great can play terrible 0-0

Marat expected Beck to be his 2-nd round opponent
so 0-2

:sad:

swap348
06-21-2005, 11:26 AM
If mark has to win he has to serve amazingly well through out the match and hope for some luck in TBs. Considering mark's build-up to wimby Anything less, with the mood in which Safin is (has some nice confidence going and knows he has nothing to lose), have little doubt in the result.grass surface doesn't matter, for safin it was all in the head in past and this year finally he seems to be enjoying the grass surface thanks to his knee(became businesslike) and drive to make some results after a lacklustre season so far since ausopen.
There's reason to have some confidence on Marat this time ;)

max122
06-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Marat Safin will win Hands down!

Vass
06-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Ok this is my logic.

Therefore I think Phillippoussis will win, but I really want Safin to win.

Marat's injury doesn't seem to be affect him all that much.

Bibir
06-21-2005, 12:30 PM
No, you just want Safin to lose again and again. :)

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Battle of return=Battle of serve...after all they are related. If Mark serves better, it could be interpreted as marat returned badly.Of course. But while everyone talks about the importance of serve on grass, the return of serve remains under-appreciated. Any spaz can fire aces on grass; to return comprehensively is another matter entirely.

SuperFurryAnimal
06-21-2005, 01:14 PM
I hope Marat will kick Flip's butt! :p

Exodus
06-21-2005, 01:15 PM
when it comes to returns Marat owns Flip

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Anything can get Marat off the balance, he can play like a S&V god one day and like a total moron the next.
Like at RG - an almost perfect play vs JCF and totally frustrating vs Tommy R. in the next rd.
Masha, Marat isn't that random. He had zero results going into RG, his game was in tatters. He struggled in the early matches. He seemed to put all that he had in that one Ferrero match and then all went poof.

Now the situation is different - Marat had good result in Halle, his game returned. He will beat Flip (knocking on wood). It won't be easy, but he will.

MariaV
06-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Masha, Marat isn't that random. He had zero results going into RG, his game was in tatters. He struggled in the early matches. He seemed to put all that he had in that one Ferrero match and then all went poof.

Now the situation is different - Marat had good result in Halle, his game returned. He will beat Flip (knocking on wood). It won't be easy, but he will.
LOL Tanechka, if you say so. ;) But I'm afraid he'll lose so I have no hopes whatsoever. I have to see first in what mood he'll step on the court tomorrow. If he's determined, ready to fight and won't get frustrated by anything he might have a chance, and if Flip has a bit off-day of course. I'll enjoy the match anyway. :D
That poof was REALLY a pity btw. :mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery:

Bibir
06-21-2005, 01:48 PM

This is not you - so positive - What happened to the real Tanya? :scared:

DDrago2
06-21-2005, 02:16 PM
I expected Safin to beat Paradorn and Philippoussis to win over Beck, and now I expect Safin to prevail but it will be more difficult than against Paradorn.

What I am almost sure is that it will be a great match with many beautifull points. Safin is a mix of power and touch and Philippoussis also, they both play atractive tennis and are very talented - many inside of this thread under-rated Philippoussis, who is one of the more atractive grass-players and serve is not the only thing he knows (when you have a huge serve, people tend to overlook other qualities...)

But I still think Philippoussis is too old-fashioned player to beat Safin, on any surface.

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-21-2005, 02:41 PM
I'll enjoy the match anyway. :D
Liar. :p

Papakori
06-21-2005, 03:30 PM
mArk

Lila
06-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Mark gets whipped.

World Beater
06-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Of course. But while everyone talks about the importance of serve on grass, the return of serve remains under-appreciated. Any spaz can fire aces on grass; to return comprehensively is another matter entirely.

So them spanish dudes are spastic? :confused:

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-21-2005, 08:01 PM
So them spanish dudes are spastic? :confused:
Eh? Didn't catch your meaning, sorry.

World Beater
06-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Eh? Didn't catch your meaning, sorry.

You said that spastics can throw down aces on grass. Some spanish players along with a few argentinians cant. What does that make them, less than spastics?

*karen*
06-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Marat hes playing great just now

joseluismb
06-21-2005, 11:42 PM
lol it's gonna be a very interesting match...

and my mum will be glad because she will be able to watch mark on TV once more

::haha::

Kristine
06-22-2005, 01:03 AM
I still say Marat... albeit a tough one for him. But he has nothing to lose and he tends to play better when the pressure is off... so I can see him taking more risks and going for his shots - and we all know that when things are going well for Marat those risks pay off.

DanEd
06-22-2005, 01:15 AM
the best second round match of the tournament

oneandonlyhsn
06-22-2005, 01:33 AM
the best second round match of the tournament

Ditto on that mate :yeah: my most anticipated match for tomorrow. Hopefully Roger will finish off Minar quickly so that ESPN will show Marat.

Davaiiiiiiiii Marat

Doctor Dance
06-22-2005, 01:58 AM
The Scud :)

drf716
06-22-2005, 02:08 AM
all i can say is that it's going to be very "painful" watching mark coz he looks so accident prone when he plays and marat too.

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-22-2005, 06:43 AM
You said that spastics can throw down aces on grass. Some spanish players along with a few argentinians cant. What does that make them, less than spastics?
For example who? Lopez? Verdasco? Ferrero - 14 aces, TommyR - 5, even Puerta managed 2, etc. Even Coria was clipping aces all over the place (9). So whom did you mean, exactly?

Nimomunz
06-22-2005, 12:04 PM
For example who? Lopez? Verdasco? Ferrero - 14 aces, TommyR - 5, even Puerta managed 2, etc. Even Coria was clipping aces all over the place (9). So whom did you mean, exactly?
oooh! check mate!!

Kristen
06-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Is it wrong that....while the trainer is strapping up Mark's ankle/foot ( I was near the tv for ten seconds, wasn't listening) I've been peering through the umpires chair watching Marat change his shirt:scratch: until I was rudely interrupted by seeing his little lady chewing gum whilst pulling out her hair as her man gets strapped!? :shrug:

Keep it up Marat :yeah:

disturb3d
06-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Could anyone fill me in on what just happened during their match?

All I saw was a new net coming up, and Mcenroe going on about something historic happening.

~lindsay~
06-22-2005, 01:36 PM

All I saw was a new net coming up, and Mcenroe going on about something historic happening.
part of the net snapped so it fell down

Kristen
06-22-2005, 01:37 PM
I guess they must have shot to court one? Roger just started.... Is he about to break some other record!? lol... :tape:

mitalidas
06-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Safin pulled it off in straight sets, not bad

tennischick
06-22-2005, 02:37 PM
terrific match! :banana:

Bilbo
06-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Safin wins

clear like my blood test

Exodus
06-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Safin has become a force on grass LOL

Auscon
06-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Mark led in both tb's, minibreak in both, but Marat just came back and was virtually unstoppable in both tb's from the point that he lost his serve

A damn shame Mark had to come up against a supercharged Marat this early

the cat
06-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Well done Marat.

oneandonlyhsn
06-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Safin, I always knew you could do well in grass. You just had to believe in yourself. Safin I love you dude

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

BlackSilver
06-22-2005, 02:42 PM
terrific match! :banana:

Really? For me it was a boring ace festival with an injured player in one of the sides of the court. :)

MariaV
06-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Yeah Auscon, really shame that Mark had to face Marat so early at Wimby. :sad: I wish him all the best and hope his ankle injury is not that serious. :hug:

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Told ya.

oneandonlyhsn
06-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Really? For me it was a boring ace festival with an injured player in one of the sides of the court. :)

The match was rather boring, I've seen way more interesting grass court matches. Safin looked bored but he got the job done so yay

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Actually, there were injured players on both sides of the court.

hablovah19
06-22-2005, 02:46 PM
nice victory marat :yeah:

Mark P. shouldn't get discouraged from this match though! good effort from him. sucks about his injury.

mer
06-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Told ya.

LOL Tanechka :hug:

MariaV
06-22-2005, 02:48 PM

The Russian commentators also said it must've been the 1st time at Wimbledon the netcord collapsed. :haha: That was funny. And our dear Hippo Marat involved again of course. .lol:

mer
06-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Safin looked bored but he got the job done so yay

Bored ? not frustrated ? :confused:

MariaV
06-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Got him Tanechka. ;) :eek:

wipeout
06-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Happy Hippo eating up the grass. :p :worship:

Saw Marat serve 140 mph to win the game that he saved 3 set points. Seen him do 136 a lot but not a 140 that I remember.

wipeout
06-22-2005, 02:53 PM
The Russian commentators also said it must've been the 1st time at Wimbledon the netcord collapsed. :haha: That was funny. And our dear Hippo Marat involved again of course. .lol:

Marat and Mark's power weakened it and Marat finished it off. :lol: :devil:

DanEd
06-22-2005, 02:54 PM
wow marat´s average first serve speed was 130 mph :eek:
his fastest serve was 140 mph :eek: (his fastest ever?)

Billabong
06-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Marat played incredibly well, and Mark didn't play that bad!! Marat deserved the victory though:)! Marat hit some awesome passing shots, it was fantastic to see:)

BlackSilver
06-22-2005, 02:57 PM
The match was rather boring, I've seen way more interesting grass court matches. Safin looked bored but he got the job done so yay

I also saw some, I just hope that at least one happens this year at Wimbledon

mer
06-22-2005, 02:59 PM

It's good actually that Marat can win boring matches too.

wipeout
06-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Marat also served 130 mph out wide one time I saw, like Mark served 131 mph out wide as well at least once.

Marat served 68% at 130 mph average 1st serve, Mark served 67% at 129 mph average 1st serve.

Marat had 20 aces and 2 DFs, Mark had 21 aces and 6 DFs.

Huge serving. :eek:

(For comparison, Roddick served 122 mph average at 56% first serve and 14 aces to 6 DFs yesterday.)

Marat had 49 winners and 11 UEs while Mark had 44 winners and 18 UEs.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scores/stats/day3/1080ms.html

BlackSilver
06-22-2005, 03:05 PM

Yes, but only one helped in transforming a boring match into a even more bore match :)

Auscon
06-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Mark should seriously be reconsidering his engagement to Alexis

I mean, when Mark was in trouble in the tiebreaks, if she really loved him, then surely she wouldve showed a boob when Safin was in view

Kristen
06-22-2005, 03:13 PM

I mean, when Mark was in trouble in the tiebreaks, if she really loved him, then surely she wouldve showed a boob when Safin was in view
Maybe she'll do that once puberty has finished.
Sorry. Couldn't help myself ;)

Shabazza
06-22-2005, 03:17 PM
well done Marat - I wish for a Roger - Marat semi, but than again maybe not ;)
the outcome would be unpredictable right now

Auscon
06-22-2005, 03:21 PM

lets just hope Mark is still on tour then

Vass
06-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Totally boring match.

Turkeyballs Paco
06-22-2005, 03:42 PM

she was too busy coaching her man :shrug:

zethand
06-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Im happy Marat won...
He deserved it!
Well done Marat in 3!! Outstanding!!!

tangerine_dream
06-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Im happy Marat won...He deserved it!

I've never understood comments like this. He won the match. So, yeah, he "deserved" to win. If he lost, he would "deserve" to lose. I guess. Duh. :scratch:

HappyAndie
06-22-2005, 04:57 PM
I have come to the conclusion that Lundgren(I think I spelled that correctly) is a miracle worker.

Also, good job, Marat. No broken racquets today(even though one racquet came very close :))

MariaV
06-22-2005, 05:02 PM

:haha: :haha:

lau
06-22-2005, 05:04 PM
I have come to the conclusion that Lundgren(I think I spelled that correctly) is a miracle worker.

Oh!!!! Yes, he is..... :bowdown: :bowdown: PETER

NATAS81
06-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Coupled with the fact Marat plays well in slams this year with Mark's below par return game, straight sets was no surprise.

wipeout
06-22-2005, 08:57 PM
I've got to say, though, even though Mark is not the world's best returner, he really was getting some good points on returns and had 3 break-points for the 1st set and 2 break-points just after in the 2nd set. Marat was serving huge, though, even bigger than Mark in many ways and both guys were serving much bigger than Roddick yesterday. :eek:

Marat's serve is awesome right now. :cool:

vaiva
06-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Marat's serve is awesome right now. :cool:

He must be doped then too. His serve was not that awesome just a while ago. Then this sudden change?

And just like Canas, he's skipping DC

NYCtennisfan
06-22-2005, 09:24 PM
This was a classic grasscourt match. Flip probably out played Marat in the first two sets or at least they played to a stand-still, but Marat won the big points in the TB's. This is what used to happen when Goran and Pete played. Goran would serve even better than Pete but Pete would win the big points in most of the TB's.

Kristine
06-23-2005, 12:58 AM
Well done Marat!! I didn't think the game was boring - but it was a huge battle of the serves, which always tends to be a little less exciting tennis... aces one after another or the receiver can only barely get his racquet to it. But in the end, Marat was returning a lot better than Flip.

And who else out there thinks Marat looks absolutely divine in all white???

Next up Lopez.... it will be a very handsome match.

wipeout
06-23-2005, 01:21 AM
He must be doped then too. His serve was not that awesome just a while ago. Then this sudden change?

And just like Canas, he's skipping DC

Marat needs a knee operation which he's gonna have just after Wimbledon so that's why he will be out for a few weeks.

His serve is awesome right now because it's very precise, not that it's faster. He's getting 70% 1st serves in at 130 mph average right now.

It's still his usual 125+ mph 1st serve with lots of aces and 100+ mph 2nd serve with very few double faults.

Marat has always been very fair to opponents and the idea of him cheating in any way is highly unlikely.

oneandonlyhsn
06-23-2005, 01:52 AM

Ditto, Scuds fiancee looks like 15 year old, and what was she doing during the match giving him backhand tips :o

Next up Feli, matchup of 2 hotties, I'll be one excited fan :D

RogiFan88
06-23-2005, 02:19 AM
Marat's playing the best of anyone I've managed to see on TV so far... he's so calm, comfy, patient, accurate, powerful, well-behaved... almost BORING! ;) It's more fun when he's behaving badly and showing his true nature! More exciting. ;)

Carolinita
06-23-2005, 02:28 AM
It's more fun when he's behaving badly and showing his true nature! More exciting. ;)
:rolls:
but I prefer a boring Marat winning matches instead of a funny Marat losing them. To see a funny Marat winning it's the best thing though

_pyromatic
06-23-2005, 02:34 AM
Marat's playing the best of anyone I've managed to see on TV so far... he's so calm, comfy, patient, accurate, powerful, well-behaved... almost BORING! ;) It's more fun when he's behaving badly and showing his true nature! More exciting. ;)

It's not boring for me yet, I'm still giddy about how well he's doing :hearts:

wipeout
06-23-2005, 02:44 AM
Maybe Marat is turning into a ninja like Roger. ;)

BlackSilver
06-23-2005, 03:02 AM
Marat was serving huge, though, even bigger than Mark in many ways

Do you care in give me an example?

jmp
06-23-2005, 03:30 AM
MARAT!! :yeah:

Good effort, Mark. :) I wish you good health and good luck in your come back. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mimi
06-23-2005, 03:36 AM
poor mark, always lost in tight tie breaks i.e. 2003 final, two tie breakers :sad: :sad: :mad: :mad:

wipeout
06-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Do you care in give me an example?

Okay, it's not "many ways" but "a few ways" that Marat was serving bigger than Mark. I should have phrased that better. :) They were very similar with their 1st serves but with a slight edge to Marat.

Marat had more 1st serves in (69% to 68%) at higher average speed (130 mph to 129 mph) and almost as many aces (20 to 21). Marat won more points with his 1st serve as well (87% to 83%) and served out 5 break-points no problem.

Marat was much slower on the 2nd serve (102 mph to 112 mph) but won more of his 2nd serve points (56% to 37%) so it's not as if that was hurting him and he had fewer double faults (2 to 6).

Both players had 140 mph fastest serves and I remember Mark was slightly faster hitting serves out wide with 131 mph to Marat's 130 mph.

It can't be often that Mark has faced a guy with a 1st serve that is similar to his own. Maybe it's something that's never happened before.

Nimomunz
06-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Okay, it's not "many ways" but "a few ways" that Marat was serving bigger than Mark. I should have phrased that better. :) They were very similar with their 1st serves but with a slight edge to Marat.

Marat had more 1st serves in (69% to 68%) at higher average speed (130 mph to 129 mph) and almost as many aces (20 to 21). Marat won more points with his 1st serve as well (87% to 83%) and served out 5 break-points no problem.

Marat was much slower on the 2nd serve (102 mph to 112 mph) but won more of his 2nd serve points (56% to 37%) so it's not as if that was hurting him and he had fewer double faults (2 to 6).

Both players had 140 mph fastest serves and I remember Mark was slightly faster hitting serves out wide with 131 mph to Marat's 130 mph.

It can't be often that Mark has faced a guy with a 1st serve that is similar to his own. Maybe it's something that's never happened before.
maybe mark is over reliant on his serve blowing people away and doesnt expect to see such bombers repeatedly coming his way!!

flip_fan
06-23-2005, 09:27 PM

..throw in the fact that he could barely move to the ball in the 3rd set, so Marks stats, esp on the return took a nose dive...

wipeout
06-24-2005, 03:10 AM
Several of Mark's stats went downhill once his injury started to affect him. Mark's serve got better as the match went on, though.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scores/stats/day3/1080ss1.html
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scores/stats/day3/1080ss2.html
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scores/stats/day3/1080ss3.html

RogiFan88
06-24-2005, 03:14 AM
Maybe Marat is turning into a ninja like Roger. ;)

[don't tell that to the Marat fans... they will cringe at the thought! :p ]

RogiFan88
06-24-2005, 03:23 AM
speaking of Marat fans: have they thought of the fact that Marat could do this year what Rogi did last year??

wipeout
06-24-2005, 03:37 AM
[don't tell that to the Marat fans... they will cringe at the thought! :p ]

At the moment, Marat is serving more like a viking with a battle axe than a ninja with a sword. :devil:

His first serve stats are slightly better than the Philippousis and Roddick ones I've seen, including higher percentages and higher average speeds. :eek:

That's going to be hard for even a ninja to deal with... :angel:

oneandonlyhsn
06-24-2005, 03:40 AM
At the moment, Marat is serving more like a viking with a battle axe than a ninja with a sword. :devil:

His first serve stats are slightly better than the Philippousis and Roddick ones I've seen, including higher percentages and higher average speeds. :eek:

That's going to be hard for even a ninja to deal with... :angel:

When Marat is on he has the best serve on tour. Remember at the Aussie open he went into the finals with only 10 DF and serving over 75% 1st serves in the entire tourny. Now that is pretty amazing shit.

wipeout
06-24-2005, 03:59 AM
Marat also has a record 31 aces and 0 DFs in a match, against Agassi of all people. That was at the Australian Open 2004.

Kristen
06-24-2005, 04:25 AM
Why are people still voting on this poll. :scratch: lol...

wipeout
06-24-2005, 04:27 AM
I could swear it said 142 votes yesterday. ;) :lol:

BlackSilver
06-24-2005, 07:52 AM

Thanks for making things clear. Your point of view was strange when I first read what you said, but now it makes sense.

Nimomunz
06-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Why are people still voting on this poll. :scratch: lol...
BECAUSE NOW THEY KNOW THAT THEIR RIGHT!!!