Who will be the main rival to Federer's throne in 1-2 years? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who will be the main rival to Federer's throne in 1-2 years?

Halba
06-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Hmm who will challenge him for the #1 position? He seems unstoppable......or not with 2 semi final losses in grand slams this year..

deliveryman
06-20-2005, 12:44 PM
nadal will sneak up on him during clay court season, but then fade away and will be forgotten the rest of the way.

So who could challenge him for #1 by YEAR end?

Your answer: No one.

euroka1
06-20-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm surprised to see Safin mentioned in this context!

JustmeUK
06-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Gasquet. He has the potential to challenge Roger for sure. In some ways, he's like Roger was a few years ago.. so many weapons. He just has to figure out how to win without playing at his very best all the time.

Vass
06-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Where's Roddick in the poll?

I voted Nadal.

MrTibbs
06-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Its gotta be Nadal or Gasquet....

Nadals already there on clay- but I reckon he has to develop a flatter forehand and improve his serve to be a threat on grass. But one or two years and who knows

Gasquets already beaten Federer once and his aggressive style of play seems suited to grass (then again you could say that about Safin)

But I doubt it will be Hewwit, Safin or Roddick

HybridTheory
06-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Nadal .

Jim Jones
06-20-2005, 02:28 PM
don't count out Hewitt. Throughout all of the grand slams last year and including this year's Aussie Open he lost to the eventual winner of the Grand Slam. He has mad 2 consecutive GS finals. He will be a threat especially on the hardcourts.

Iheartandy&roger
06-20-2005, 04:07 PM
I agree don't count out Hewitt or Roddick

RodLo
06-20-2005, 04:09 PM

Agreed.

ultraX
06-20-2005, 04:30 PM
I would say Nadal and Gasquet too

these 2 guys have the potential to be the next number player. They have already beaten Federer in Monte Carlo, Roma and Roland Garros on clay. However they have to figure their game in others surfaces as well.

NATAS81
06-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Johansson avatar says PIM WILL DEFEND his Crowns

So many titles win in the future for the stout Swede!

Exodus
06-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Only Safin would be a threat to Roger on all surfaces!!! Sure Nadal can beat Roger on clay but he is useless on all the other surfaces while Safin is a match for Roger.

If only Safin could stay more consistent

Shabazza
06-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Only Safin would be a threat to Roger on all surfaces!!! Sure Nadal can beat Roger on clay but he is useless on all the other surfaces while Safin is a match for Roger.

If only Safin could stay more consistent
It is this great big IF, that always stands in Safins game...managing to be more consistant has to be his top priority right now. Otherwise I don't see anyone who could be a threat to Roger in 1-2 years. Both Nadal and Gasquet have the talent and the game, but they won't be as strong and consitant as Roger on all surfaces, not in 1-2 years yet - it definitely take some time to improve your all surface game to a lvl to conquer the world No.1. :)

NATAS81
06-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Honestly Nadal will.

Gasquet is up and coming and the true test will suffice.

Richard is developing on all surfaces.

He beat Roger already on clay.

Clay is Roger's weakest surface, though.

Tough to say.

I like Richard's game, I like his backhand.

Another French BH, like Hardenne.

Nadal will grow, and his match tomorrow is a big step in his grass development.

I still don't predict anything big from him in this tourney.

Dirk
06-20-2005, 05:48 PM
What will Roger be like in 1-2 years? If he gets even better which is likely to happen then it nobody will likely touch him. Richard could do great on all surfaces, Nadal's changed will take longer to develop and with his physical game I don't see it. Richard has the potential to join Roger and Marat as the most gifted players on the tour.

NATAS81
06-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Roger will be good in 1-2 years.

It's hard to see him decline unless an injury.

I like his game on all surfaces.

Richard too. Just not mastered HC yet.

It's difficult to say.

But I like Nadal to contend on hard vs Roger too.

Even fast ones, not like Miami.

joeb_uk
06-20-2005, 06:45 PM
I feel in the next 1-2 years it would be gasquet (possibly nadal). Although i think safin, gasquet, nadal will beat him quite a few times (i doubt if they can challenge for the number 1 spot).

DanEd
06-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Pete Sampras

RogiFan88
06-20-2005, 11:09 PM
which throne?

hitchhiker
06-21-2005, 07:58 AM
who says he wont be challange this year? will be funny if federer is dethrone at #1 this year
or even worse federer will finish #1 without any slams in 2005, if he were to do that the only solution to escape the shame is to go hide out in mexico.

World Beater
06-21-2005, 08:06 AM
who says he wont be challange this year? will be funny if federer is dethrone at #1 this year
or even worse federer will finish #1 without any slams in 2005, if he were to do that the only solution to escape the shame is to go hide out in mexico.

Using your logic, roddick would be on mars by now

oneandonlyhsn
06-21-2005, 08:49 AM

Spoken like a true idiot, atleast he is not a one slam wonder like you fav :rolleyes:

Doris Loeffel
06-22-2005, 12:38 AM
I would say Nadal and Gasquet too

these 2 guys have the potential to be the next number player. They have already beaten Federer in Monte Carlo, Roma and Roland Garros on clay. However they have to figure their game in others surfaces as well.

Hmmm I just wonder who of the two beat which Roger in Roma??

Well I for sure hope Roger will stay at the top for as long as possible - but Nadal for sure is a treat this year (if Roger fails to win Wimby which I hope he won't)

But usually I'm no good at guessing

Kristine
06-22-2005, 02:12 AM
I'm surprised to see Safin mentioned in this context!

Of course he should be mentioned! Marat may be a bit unpredictable when it comes to playing other players or low ranked players... but when it comes to Fed, he knows how to play him. Every game they've played in the past two years, Safin has really pushed him and almost won (except for AO 2005, which he did win over Fed!!!). He's one of the few that know how to do this with Federer!

drf716
06-22-2005, 03:43 AM
i dont think federer will be considered still the greatest in 1-2 years time. i hope new faces will surface.

RogersGirl
06-22-2005, 03:54 AM
i dont think federer will be considered still the greatest in 1-2 years time. i hope new faces will surface.

do you say this because of some specific dislike of federer, or do you want to see his opponents level out with him?

megadeth
06-22-2005, 04:10 AM
i'd have to say gasquet. he's shown he's good on grass and clay courts. so what more on hard courts right?

for nadal's case, he'll have to make some adjustments to his game, otherwise, he'll just be more of a claycourt threat. i'm not yet too sure about his hardcourt even if he pushed roger back in miami. let's see once the next hardcourt season comes along

roddick and hewitt, i don't know. rogi has their number. unless a-rod adds more arsenal, like a serve and volley rather than just a bomming forehand and serve, no way.

hewitt has no obvious tangible weapon. only heart will make him close.

safin, he's a considerable threat as long as his head is in the right place.

but other than that, i don't see a fixed all around threat for roger yet other than gasquet.

El Legenda
06-22-2005, 04:18 AM

can you really count roddick...he loses to Roger everytime...being someone's biatch is not a rivalry and losing in GS with 2 bagels is not impressive to.

oneandonlyhsn
06-22-2005, 04:33 AM

Your immense dislike for Roger makes you unable to accept/see the fact that Roger is a very good player. Sure there will be new faces, and hopefully older ones too but dismissing Roger when he has prooved he is a sold player is beyond me.

YoursTruly
06-22-2005, 04:45 AM
Truthfully and not just because Roger is one of my top favourites, but I don't see any "main" rival, because I think he's just one of those players that come along in time. But I do see a few who are the closest out of the whole tour and will have great matches with him like Rafael Nadal and Roddick and maybe Gasquet, but for sure Rafael.

drf716
06-22-2005, 05:47 AM
ok so maybe i have formed my biases and still i know he's a great tennis player but there are some things you hope for.

oneandonlyhsn
06-22-2005, 06:00 AM
ok so maybe i have formed my biases and still i know he's a great tennis player but there are some things you hope for.

There you go that wasnt so hard was it :hug:

Lets just hope Marat keeps his hair on his head and continues to be a threat too. He sure has major talent, so hopefully he will be up there too.

drf716
06-22-2005, 06:14 AM
ok so let me not like federer once again. hehehe.

liptea
06-22-2005, 07:23 AM
I voted Nadal, but I'm seriously gonna have to go with Moya.

Sunfire
06-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Mmm... I admit that Federer is (and will be) one of the greatest player of all time. I do.
But to think that no one will be his threat, say like Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, Nadal, Gasquet, and maybe Nalbandian is too :rolleyes: .
I don't know, but sometimes I just think that Roger will get some difficulties to get another Slam title. Maybe he can get one, two, or three more, maybe one from this Championships, but not as many as many of you all thinking :o .
He just reminds me like Martina Hingis :p . So GREAT at 2-3 years, and take the #1 spot for a loooooooooongggg long time, but struggle to get another Slam title :eek: :devil: .
Roddick, Safin, and maybe Thomas Johansson will be his threat at Wimbledon. Plus Hewitt at USO and AO. Nadal and Gasquet at FO. So... impossible is nothing, right? :angel:

oneandonlyhsn
06-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Mmm... I admit that Federer is (and will be) one of the greatest player of all time. I do.
But to think that no one will be his threat, say like Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, Nadal, Gasquet, and maybe Nalbandian is too :rolleyes: .
I don't know, but sometimes I just think that Roger will get some difficulties to get another Slam title. Maybe he can get one, two, or three more, maybe one from this Championships, but not as many as many of you all thinking :o .
He just reminds me like Martina Hingis :p . So GREAT at 2-3 years, and take the #1 spot for a loooooooooongggg long time, but struggle to get another Slam title :eek: :devil: .
Roddick, Safin, and maybe Thomas Johansson will be his threat at Wimbledon. Plus Hewitt at USO and AO. Nadal and Gasquet at FO. So... impossible is nothing, right? :angel:

Totally agree, I think the depth in Mens Tennis right now is awesome. The older guys, lol Safin and the lot seem to be among the older ones when compared to Murray, Nadal and Gasquet who are doing very well. I do think that Roger will win more titles but his path will be way more difficult than in 2004. Plus in 2004, he played the most beautiful tennis I've ever seen, this year he seems a little off, his rythm, groundstrokes are slightly questionable. But there are a lot of great players who are potential rivals to the throne.

If Safin got more composed he would be a serious threat, he has a game which is well suited for most surfaces. Nadal, if he can work on his serve, he will be a major threat, he has heart, talent and the maturity to go with it. Gasquet has a lovely game, just delightful to watch. He sort of reminds me of a younger Roger. Roddick and Hewitt are real threats, but Federer seems to have figure them out for now.

Rex
06-22-2005, 08:31 AM
has to be gasquet, he has soem great potential, rafa just cant play an agressive game on grass.

Exodus
06-22-2005, 09:41 AM
for 2-3 months ago nobody even care who Gasquet was and soon nobody will care about him.

Ferrero Forever
06-22-2005, 09:52 AM
I reckon Gasquet, he seems to be performing well on all surfaces. But I hope it's gonna be Ferrero, he's not through yet.

safdem
06-22-2005, 10:09 AM
safin...:)

Exodus
06-22-2005, 10:11 AM
I reckon Gasquet, he seems to be performing well on all surfaces. But I hope it's gonna be Ferrero, he's not through yet.

Ferreros days as one of the very best is over. He is not a match for even Roddick or Hewitt on other surfaces besides clay.

Ferrero Forever
06-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Ferreros days as one of the very best is over. He is not a match for even Roddick or Hewitt on other surfaces besides clay.
We shall see about that

joeb_uk
06-22-2005, 11:04 AM
He has had enough time to get his form and confidence back (from his time out) but he doesnt seem to have done that (so i also doubt whether he can get back to the top).

Shabazza
06-22-2005, 11:10 AM
for 2-3 months ago nobody even care who Gasquet was and soon nobody will care about him.
In your dreams, you'll wake up soon enough

oneandonlyhsn
06-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Ferrero will always be a threat on clay but as for other surfaces I think most of the top 10 players have figured out how to play him. I think.