Eugh who is this poor player? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Eugh who is this poor player?

sharpeirob
06-19-2005, 03:04 PM
WARNING - VERY squemish people might not like this. I am guessing most have you have seen this before but I havent, would you please tell me who it is, where it happened and what happened to the player afterwards??

Thanks

http://www.funs.co.uk/clips/25.html

Obviously click on "click here to play"

Action Jackson
06-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Michael Stich injuring his ankle in the Vienna indoor.

sharpeirob
06-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Michael Stich injuring his ankle in the Vienna indoor.

Really? How bad was the injury for him?

Action Jackson
06-19-2005, 03:10 PM

You saw the video didn't you? It pretty much ended his career.

sharpeirob
06-19-2005, 03:12 PM
You saw the video didn't you? It pretty much ended his career.
Oh :sad: Sorry, i dont know that much about older tennis. ONe last question, when abouts was it?

Choupi
06-19-2005, 03:13 PM
I can't confirm who it is, but what's sure is that it's already aching a lot only watching! So I can't stand imagining how it was for the poor guy!!! :sad:

Action Jackson
06-19-2005, 03:15 PM
It's Stich Choupi I was watching the match.

Choupi
06-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Don't worry, I trust you. :) I was only saying that I couldn't confirm, as I didn't see the match and the back wasn't really recognizable.

Action Jackson
06-19-2005, 03:21 PM
It was in 1995 against Woodbridge, that Woodbridge has been invloved in matches like this before.

Choupi
06-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Woodbridge? Well, I guess that the only match I've seen of him, I mean complete!, it was against Agassi in RG, a loooong time ago. He lost in 3 sets. That's all I remember! :)

Neely
06-19-2005, 03:49 PM
He cracked two ligaments in his left ankle at 2-2 and 30-15. A very bad moment for him, he was crying out in pain at this moment. But he recovered very well and he was back only a few weeks later and won a title in his 2nd tournament back on Tour in February 1996, beating Ivanisvic on a fast carpet (two things that he liked: carpet and playing Ivanisevic). Also he played Vienna again the next season. He admitted it's hard for him to come back to this place, but also didn't want to run away from this memory. He was defeated by Becker in the 2nd round who was back then fighting for his last ticket getting entry for the year-ending ATP World Championships.

This ankle injury didn't end his career later, he was moving just fine again and was recovered almost like before. It were his chronical and always again up-coming shoulder problems which he carried for long time and through which he played for years despite until he finally had to call it a day way too early and saying "I don't want to have all this shit anymore" and retiring.

RodLo
06-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Oooh boy...never seen that before. Poor guy, I can't even begin to imagine how that must have felt. :eek:

It's pretty pathetic that that video is supposed to be funny, according to the people who put it on that site. :rolleyes:

Choupi
06-19-2005, 05:27 PM
It's pretty pathetic that that video is supposed to be funny, according to the people who put it on that site. :rolleyes:
It's well known that situations in which ppl are falling, no matter if they hurt themselves or not, are funny and laughable. But I agree that it's pathetic that those who find it funny are so narrowminded as to the cqs of the falls...

RodLo
06-19-2005, 05:39 PM
It's well known that situations in which ppl are falling, no matter if they hurt themselves or not, are funny and laughable. But I agree that it's pathetic that those who find it funny are so narrowminded as to the cqs of the falls...

But that's just looks PAINFUL...not funny. :eek: ;)

Choupi
06-19-2005, 05:42 PM
You and me have noticed it very rapidly! But you know, narrowmindness sometimes is linked to blindness! ;)

nermo
06-19-2005, 06:14 PM
i agree ..watching ppl fall is never a funny situation..and i can't understand why ppl call this a funny ??

as for Stich, i liked him..the guy was really talented may be unlucky

SwissMister1
06-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Something like that happened to me last month while I was playing. I'm impressed that Stich was able to get back up and start playing again so quickly...I won't even be able to run yet for a while...

NYCtennisfan
06-19-2005, 07:23 PM
God what a horrible injury that was.

Neely
06-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Something like that happened to me last month while I was playing. I'm impressed that Stich was able to get back up and start playing again so quickly...I won't even be able to run yet for a while...
He was using trying a new vacuum treatment method that was developped by the university hospital of Munich. As far as I know this method was later after more excessive testing not regarded as efficient enough, but I don't think it was a big harm for him either because his comeback only a few months later was really good.

As you said with your injury, I also tore two ligaments of my ankle in a basketball game last year in early August last year and I wasn't able to play again until January. For us non-pros, this takes a lot of longer :p

Neely
06-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Definitely. It was bad enough to make his wife pass out for several minutes after witnessing this scenery.

Also his opponent said that he felt sick when he saw that and that his heart almost stood still in shock.

SwissMister1
06-19-2005, 09:31 PM
He was using trying a new vacuum treatment method that was developped by the university hospital of Munich. As far as I know this method was later after more excessive testing not regarded as efficient enough, but I don't think it was a big harm for him either because his comeback only a few months later was really good.

As you said with your injury, I also tore two ligaments of my ankle in a basketball game last year in early August last year and I wasn't able to play again until January. For us non-pros, this takes a lot of longer :p

Hmmmm...vacuum treatment, could be just what I need...instead I go to the doctor and they rub gel on my foot and send shock currents through it. That is good that you were able to get back out onto the court, though.

RodLo
06-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Definitely. It was bad enough to make his wife pass out for several minutes after witnessing this scenery.

Also his opponent said that he felt sick when he saw that and that his heart almost stood still in shock.

I wouldn't doubt that. Yikes...

Jim Jones
06-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Speaking of Stich the chap got married this weekend. It's funny, Stich looks abit like Jacques Brel or the actor who plays Merogivian in the Matrix.

binkygirl
06-20-2005, 03:53 AM
Speaking of Stich the chap got married this weekend. It's funny, Stich looks abit like Jacques Brel or the actor who plays Merogivian in the Matrix.

So Michael divorced first wife, Jessica and has a new wife? Wow, hadn't heard about that.

Neely
06-20-2005, 01:44 PM
So Michael divorced first wife, Jessica and has a new wife? Wow, hadn't heard about that.
Yeah, that's true. They married two weekends ago on Sylt, a German holiday isle in the North Sea :)
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=42036

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/neely99/05/2bc5e08d.jpg

binkygirl
06-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Michael looks so hot. He looks even better now than when he was younger. I never thought he was cute then. Now he looks suave and sexy, like a German James Bond.

Do you know why he divorced Jessica?

Alison
06-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Wow ! Watching that brings back memories ! :eek:

I did the same thing ( but not playing tennis :p ) 4 years ago . I'd left my mobile phone at home and I was on my own :sad:
I had to limp / hobble for 10 minutes to get home ; then I passed out :eek: :eek: The pain was unbelievable !

Shabazza
06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
:eek: - had allready forgotten about that match - hope something like this never happens to me - this looks just to painfull

Neely
06-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Do you know why he divorced Jessica?
There was no specific reason. I remember they said after so many years they just drifted apart and developped too differently.

BTW, Michael had a good marriage contract, so the divorce was relatively "cheap" for him :p Their adopted daugther is in custody of Jessica.

Seleshfan
06-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Stich!! Man I loved his game. I thought he was every bit as talented as Sampras, just not as driven as Sampras. If he had his head on, or if every tournament was played in Germany, Stich would have won a ton of slams.

Neely
06-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Stich!! Man I loved his game. I thought he was every bit as talented as Sampras, just not as driven as Sampras. If he had his head on, or if every tournament was played in Germany, Stich would have won a ton of slams.
You say it. Stich certainly had all the goods, talent, ability and thousands of other things to win all on surfaces. But he couldn't deliver often enough and was not consistent for long enough time. He also was not the naturally born fighter who found ways back into matches despite playing not well.

binkygirl
06-23-2005, 03:06 AM
There was no specific reason. I remember they said after so many years they just drifted apart and developped too differently.

BTW, Michael had a good marriage contract, so the divorce was relatively "cheap" for him :p Their adopted daugther is in custody of Jessica.

Why did they adopt? Was Jessica too vain to get pregnant?