Dissident
07-24-2002, 02:21 PM
Agassi

Ingridy
07-24-2002, 02:30 PM
Agassi!!!!

tennis4you
07-24-2002, 02:45 PM
I say it is tough to make that call. Currently Agassi has shown the skillz more often. Give Hewitt a couple more years and it may be a close call! Or maybe not!

Good Luck on the Court!
Scott Baker
http://www.***************

Chloe le Bopper
07-24-2002, 02:54 PM
Well right *now* I would say Hewitt.

At their respective bests, I would say Agassi - Agassi kept a respectable record against Pete when he was in his prime, and Pete was all about the serve.

per4ever
07-24-2002, 05:41 PM
Agassi without a doubt :)

Sean
07-24-2002, 05:44 PM
Close but Hewitt.

Chloe le Bopper
07-24-2002, 06:09 PM
It is worth noting that Pete said after the US Open final that Hewitt was a better returner than Agassi now, the best returner he'd ever played.

Of course Pete sings the praises of whoever jsut beat him as such usually, but it was a telling statement.

TheBoiledEgg
07-24-2002, 06:28 PM
normally Pete does anything but praise his opponents
more like he says I wasn't feeling too good

Elleke
07-24-2002, 06:30 PM
LLEYTON!!!!!!!!

Hania
07-24-2002, 07:41 PM
IMO they have different styles but I would say Lleyton

Angele
07-24-2002, 08:37 PM
Right now it's Lleyton... I never really got too see too much of Andre is his prime so I can't say if at his prime he was better than Lleyton is now :angel:

tennischick
07-25-2002, 02:18 AM
oh puh-lease!!! are we going to have a serious discussion or just root for our faves? angele how can you say Lleyton if you don't know Agassi's game??? :confused:

while i think Hewitt is an awesome returner -- and he is bec he studied from the best -- Agassi is still the better of the two. he was in his prime and he is now. but i do think that the mantle will eventually pass to Hewitt. Cahill made no secret of the fact that he and his former protege studied tapes of Agassi's game.

like Becca i think that Pete's praises aren't worth squat. anybody who beats him is instantly proclaimed the next coming. it's his way of soothing his huge ego that he didn't lose out to a bottom-feeder. it must be that to beat the Great King Sampras, one has to be Greater than Great. so please, let's not give any credence to his fulsome praises stupid utterings...:o :o :o

Chloe le Bopper
07-25-2002, 02:24 AM
TBE - he does do the injury or sickness bit too, but a few times I've heard him shout rave reviews about some guy who just beat him.

Like Gonzales (sp?) being the hardest hitter on the ATP :confused:?

Though he has always praised Hewitt even before hewitt was leading their head to head.... so I tend to take something in what he said there.

However his serve now isn't what it was back in the day, which would make Hewitts return look that much better to him.

Dissident
07-25-2002, 02:54 AM
I had to pick Agassi because he has the best return since like 10 years... Hewitt is coming up now, and if he can keep his return game winning whole matches (and even titles) for him, then maybe I can change my mind. Agassi´s return of serve got him to great spots everywhere.

Angele
07-25-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by tennischick
angele how can you say Lleyton if you don't know Agassi's game??? :confused:

:confused: :confused:

I said that right now Lleyton is better cuz in the last while I've seen both Lleyton and Andre play and I think that Lleyton is a better returner. However I wasn't watching tennis when Andre was in his prime so I can't say if at his prime, Agassi was better than Lleyton is now. I really don't see anything wrong with what I said :p

warfreakbix
07-26-2002, 01:58 PM
May I nominate somebody else, Safin I think is a better returner if he gets his focus on his game. Even Courier said that Safin is a better returner than Agassi. His problem is his focus, give Safin Lleyton's focus and nobody can win a point with the man.
Of course take this with a grain of salt, I'm not a tennis expect just MHO!

Scotso
07-26-2002, 07:50 PM
Hewitt.

Chloe le Bopper
07-26-2002, 08:58 PM
warfreakbix - excellent suggestion, I hadn't even thought of Marat.

One needs to look no further than US Open 2000 against Pete to see how well he returns - and Pete was still a top player then recall.

Marat was picking those serves off, winner after winner, it was awesome.

A Rush
08-02-2002, 06:23 PM
Well, I've been an Andre fan for more then a decade now and I can honestly say Hewitt is the better returner, especially against S&V. He lacks a bit of power against the baseliners but even there I'd give him the (very sligth) edge because he rarely makes a mistake which in turn results in him being more effective percentage wise. He understands the game better than Andre ever did and plays with more restraint and control than Andre (who is very prone to going for broke at the most inoportune times) which makes his returning game even more lethal.

Safin? Don't be ridiculous. He has a very good return but is nowhere near the class Andre and Hewitt are in right now.

Gandalf
08-02-2002, 06:38 PM
Agassi is more aggresive and makes more winners off the return, but I would say Hewitt is the better returner. He's much better with S&V, as A Rush said, and in general against the big servers.

TennisHack
08-02-2002, 06:47 PM
I would have to vote for Hewitt. It's the best part of his game, and look where it's taken him! He may not hit as many winners, but he stays in the point and rarely gives anything away.

Safin has a good return, too, but too often (like today) he lets his frustration and anger get to him. Safin also has all the weapons, so his return isn't as important to his game.

tennischick
08-03-2002, 03:00 AM
like warfreakbix, i too would now like to nominate someone else -- Guillermo Canas. he is the BEST returner right now. just ask Safin...:p ;)

Catriel
11-24-2002, 01:54 AM
Agassi

Catriel
11-24-2002, 02:14 AM
Agassi

Jackie
11-24-2002, 03:10 AM
At the moment, Lleyton is slightly better. Check out the stats @http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/

Chloe le Bopper
11-24-2002, 03:42 AM
How come no one ever notes when I say something GOOD about Hewitt? :)

Scotso
11-24-2002, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by untitled2284
At the moment, Lleyton is slightly better. Check out the stats @http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/

;)

Scotso
11-24-2002, 04:04 AM
oh puh-lease!!! are we going to have a serious discussion or just root for our faves?
Agassi is still the better of the two

I just noticed this hypocracy :D

Chloe le Bopper
11-24-2002, 04:06 AM
In all fairness, Agassi is about 200 now.

He does well for an old man ;)

cheliste
11-24-2002, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Rebecca

LOL@Rebecca! :D

Jackie
11-24-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Rebecca

Yes, he does do quite well for an old man...and Rebecca, I didn't even notice that you said something nice about Lleyton :p

niratti
11-26-2002, 05:04 PM
No doubt, AGASSI!!!!

Missundazstood007
11-26-2002, 05:41 PM
MARAT!:D :p

Chloe le Bopper
11-26-2002, 06:04 PM
Actually, I have often said nice things about Hewitt. I once devoted hours to digging up stats and analysing them to prove he "deserved" to be number on at the end of last year.

Some people just like to focus on the times I'm critical, and somehow ignore that I'm also critical of everyone, including my fave (talk to me about his grass game why don't you?).

Their problem :cool:

ys
11-26-2002, 06:24 PM
Depends on returner of whose serve.. If we are talking about Sampras's serve, then it is Hewitt, because Agassi is getting paralised at the moment when Pete starts his racquet's swing. But other than that, if we are not talking about extraordinary serve but rather about average or better than average , than it's Agassi. Agassi's return is very agressive, meeting the ball very early. It rarely works against big servers, but against the rest of players, there is no better return. Hewitt's quckness and reaction gives him edge on returning big serves, because he is capable of getting much more balls into play from those serves, and that's what big servers hate. But his return of average serve is not a thing to talk about.

AgassiGirl16
11-26-2002, 07:36 PM
Goooooo Jaden!!

Mary Kate

AgassiGirl16
11-26-2002, 07:36 PM
whoops...wrong subject...Agassi for sure!

Daniel
11-26-2002, 11:34 PM
Hewitt !!!!!

J. Corwin
11-27-2002, 06:57 AM
Agassi has more power, Hewitt is quicker..that basically somes it up.

If we're talking about returning the balls in play in the middle of a point/retrieval ability, then Hewitt because he has better court coverage and is just that much faster than Agassi.

If it's return of serve, then I pick Andre (with the exception of returning Sampras's serve). He can return with so much power and angle that can put the server at the defensive right from the start (if not a clear return winner).

For the overall game, I'd pick Hewitt because he has such an understanding of the court when it comes to where to place the balls and when, etc.

I for one would like to see them play each other when they're both at their respective bests...now that would be some match to witness!:eek: (ps if I had to choose between the two I like pure baseline games over pure serve and volley)

Jackie
11-27-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by AgassiGirl16
whoops...wrong subject...Agassi for sure!
That's not what the stats say :p

Chloe le Bopper
11-27-2002, 04:06 PM
untitled - if I remember correctly, the stats last year indicated that Ferrero's return of serve was almost as good as Hewitts.

Those might have been mid year, but regardless.

Stats never tell the whole story, if any of the story at all.

I'm in stats. I know what I'm talking about.

Ma. Estefania
11-27-2002, 09:06 PM
It's pretty close....

C'mon_Lley
11-27-2002, 10:16 PM
:D Lleyton :D

cheliste
11-28-2002, 06:35 AM
I agree with y_s.:)

Although I wouldn't call myself a Hewitt fan, I like his return game (that is if my brain is not clouded with my love for Marat:D !!!) The quickness on the court that he is known for enables him to play the big servers of ATP so well. But I grew up watching Agassi and I've seen how far his return game has gotten him... he has been playing like... forever :eek: ! And I also like the fact that Andre is agressive on the return and hits winners off it. Quickness...Hewitt, Being agressive...Agassi.... and overall game.... MARAT!;) :p

Experimentee
11-29-2002, 12:41 PM
Andre definitely. In his prime he was the best returner of the 90's imo.