Andy Murray to take on Sampras' Wimbledon Conquerer! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Murray to take on Sampras' Wimbledon Conquerer!

In_Disguise
06-18-2005, 03:39 PM
BBC Sport, 17 June 2005

Andy Murray now knows his first-ever Wimbledon opponent after George Bastl qualified for the first-round draw.
Bastl is ranked 141st in the world and the 30-year-old from Switzerland gained his chance after the No.3 seed in the qualifiers, Justin Gimelstob, retired.

Murray expects to be fit despite pulling out of the Nottingham Open with an ankle injury picked up during his match with Thomas Johansson at Queen's.

But the 18-year-old Scot is playing down his chances of progressing far.

Murray, ranked 169, is worried about the disruption caused to his preparations by the injury.

"My ankle was pretty bad and could hardly practice, but I have been seeing the physio and having it strapped and hope to fit for Tuesday," he told BBC Sport.

"But to win a match would be good for me.

"Grass is not my best surface and I have not played a best of five sets before."

Experimentee
06-18-2005, 03:44 PM
At least Bastl will be fresh for the match. Who else thinks Gimelstob was dodgy in retiring at 0-1 so he could save himself for the main draw knowing he was the LL? :rolleyes:

Aleksa's Laydee
06-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Lets go ANDY!!!

ae wowww
06-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Nice draw TBH... Saw Bastl play plenty at Surbiton.. I think Andy has a good chance-provided he is fit and healthy on the day!!

azza
06-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Bastl will win 3-6 6-4 6-3 6-1 :)

tennisgirl19
06-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Go Andrew!!!!

:bounce:

allanah
06-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Murray, ranked 169, is worried about the disruption caused to his preparations by the injury.
"My ankle was pretty bad and could hardly practice, but I have been seeing the physio and having it strapped and hope to fit for Tuesday," he told BBC Sport.

"But to win a match would be good for me.

"Grass is not my best surface and I have not played a best of five sets before."

What a negative interview. He sounds like he's getting his excuses in early. :rolleyes: Stop bleating and step up to the plate Andrew.

acdbx
06-18-2005, 07:05 PM
quick question: how do players know if they'lll be LLs?

vincayou
06-18-2005, 07:25 PM
I love the way british media manage to sell up the game. Let's call Bastl Sampras' Wimbledon Conquerer from now.

Jim Jones
06-18-2005, 07:36 PM
What a negative interview. He sounds like he's getting his excuses in early. :rolleyes: Stop bleating and step up to the plate Andrew.
I agree besides Murray's ranking is wrong in the article. It's below 300!
I want Bastl to win anyway since he is from my homestate. Allez George!

Yoel and co.
06-18-2005, 07:46 PM
I love the way british media manage to sell up the game. Let's call Bastl Sampras' Wimbledon Conquerer from now.

Yes, Bastl has not done too much since "conquering" Sampras back then

NYCtennisfan
06-18-2005, 09:51 PM
I hope the pressure doesn't get to Murray because he should win this one.

Swider
06-19-2005, 08:57 AM
I wonder how long can he conquer Bastl, as he was on his knees in the beginning of 3rd set in Queen's. I wish him best luck, but he has to play on 100% for almost 2 hours.

SwissMister1
06-19-2005, 07:02 PM
At least Bastl will be fresh for the match. Who else thinks Gimelstob was dodgy in retiring at 0-1 so he could save himself for the main draw knowing he was the LL? :rolleyes:

Typical from Gimelstob, wasn't he the same guy who got mad at Nadal and made a big deal about him withdrawing after the deadline so he couldn't get bumped up to the maindraw?

I want Bastl to win anyway since he is from my homestate.

You are from Illinois?