Nadal a Lleyton clone but left handed? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal a Lleyton clone but left handed?

Halba
06-18-2005, 06:40 AM
Yeah what u guys reckon

I watched the Puerta/Nadal FO final and thought he was just bumrooting the whole time. He's pretty much a very defensive player from the looks of it. Sooner or later Fed and the rest will figure his game out

Attack always wins over defence (on other surfaces atleast)

JeNn
06-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Attack always wins over defence (on other surfaces atleast)

:confused:

Try telling Roddick this when he faces Hewitt :haha:

Halba
06-18-2005, 08:23 AM
hahah

i guess roddick sucks when it comes to execution

he makes too many unforced

just plonks forehands out and into the net

no patience

how can he win wimby?

Deivid23
06-18-2005, 08:53 AM
That question doesn´t even deserve an answer

oneandonlyhsn
06-18-2005, 09:28 AM
There is no comparison, enough said

Exodus
06-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Nadal is a Hewitt clone but more powerful

iliketennis
06-18-2005, 12:45 PM
And with more spin. Nadal is actually more gifted than Hewitt.

Experimentee
06-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Nadal's forehand is a bigger shot than Hewitt will ever have.

ultraX
06-18-2005, 01:35 PM
I don't think Nadal is a Lleyton clone

I'd say Nadal is a Thomas Muster killing machine of both side strokes hehehe

Lefties rock!!!

Skyward
06-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Tennis wise- no.

Fedex
06-18-2005, 01:55 PM
No. They do have similar personalities on the tennis court, however.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Nadal's game matches up nicely for Hewitt. Nadal cannot out-compete/out hustle a man who just does it better than him.

flip_fan
06-18-2005, 02:32 PM
no. nadal has more power, he defends similar to hewitt but attacks more often and has the bigger forehand.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Hewitt has more self belief, Nadal can get discouraged.

flip_fan
06-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Hewitt has more self belief, Nadal can get discouraged.

yep, hewitts ultimate strength is his mind. he's smart and can read players better then most.

Deboogle!.
06-18-2005, 03:21 PM
No he's not.

Chloe le Bopper
06-18-2005, 03:25 PM
I think that my head just blew up.

See avatar.

Billy Moonshine
06-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Nah! How can he be a clone when hewitt sucks on clay?

Auscon
06-18-2005, 03:30 PM
They both have excellent defensive skills, both solid of mind and able to stay strong during the parts of the match that count the most, and both play with a level of intensity that makes tennis all the more enjoyable to watch

Even my some of my friends who don't like tennis at all enjoy watching Lleyton and Rafa play, nobody else

Chloe le Bopper
06-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Hewitt doesn't suck on clay, he's just more vulnerable on it.

Regardless, that didn't stop people from suggesting that Coria was just like him a year or two ago :rolleyes:

Jennay
06-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Oh, ok.

1sun
06-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Nah! How can he be a clone when hewitt sucks on clay?
hewitt doesnt suck on clay. roddick would be upset u said that.he holds that title.

Billy Moonshine
06-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Ok, hewitt doesnt suck on clay!
But Nadal is a clay court expert, if he was just a clone of Hewitt, then surely hewitt would be?
Nadal is a defensive player and intense but thats where the similarities end imo.

Exodus
06-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Hewitt would probably kick Nadal's ass on grass for now Nadal is just a dirtballer

its.like.that
06-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Nadal is far more talented

Jenrios
06-18-2005, 04:05 PM
They both have excellent defensive skills, both solid of mind and able to stay strong during the parts of the match that count the most, and both play with a level of intensity that makes tennis all the more enjoyable to watch

Even my some of my friends who don't like tennis at all enjoy watching Lleyton and Rafa play, nobody else

I'd go with that assessment - maybe it's best to say Nadal is the 'modern Hewitt', ie, if Hewitt were only now breaking onto the scene.

As for Coria, wasn't he the new Chang?:)

nermo
06-18-2005, 04:47 PM
why is it a must to find him a clone?? :shrug:

Last week..Nadal was the Sharapova of mens' tennis , this week he's the clone of Hewitt??

I wonder who 'll it be next week...Dolly the Goat??? :silly:

uNIVERSE mAN
06-18-2005, 05:20 PM
why is it a must to find him a clone?? :shrug:

Last week..Nadal was the Sharapova of mens' tennis , this week he's the clone of Hewitt??

I wonder who 'll it be next week...Dolly the Goat??? :silly:

:lol:

World Beater
06-18-2005, 05:22 PM
his game has more similarities to carlos moya than hewitt

NYCtennisfan
06-18-2005, 05:53 PM
No, but people automatically assume that this comparison is pejorative in nature which of course may be the intent. Hewitt has made it to the finals of 3 of the 4 grand slams and has won two with 4 finals total. He finished number 1 in the world in back-to-back years and had one of the longest consecutive weeks run as #1. If Nadal achieves what LH has then he will have had a successful career.

Exodus
06-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Nadal will never be no 1. in the world coz when Roger and Safin retires Nadal isn't a force anymore.

NATAS81
06-18-2005, 06:11 PM
He's got the speed and determination of hewitt, not quite as spastic as Lleyton.

Definitely comparable.

Neither have especially bombing forehands or backhands, Nadal gets in position quickly and that over states said shot.

vincayou
06-18-2005, 06:16 PM

See avatar.

:lol: What took you so long to come here!

If Nadal was like LLeyton, how is it that their results are totally different depending on the surface?
I think though that Nadal is Hewitt+Muster combined in one player. What makes him unique.

vincayou
06-18-2005, 06:19 PM
No, but people automatically assume that this comparison is pejorative in nature which of course may be the intent. Hewitt has made it to the finals of 3 of the 4 grand slams and has won two with 4 finals total. He finished number 1 in the world in back-to-back years and had one of the longest consecutive weeks run as #1. If Nadal achieves what LH has then he will have had a successful career.

Exactly, even if it is wrong to say that, there is nothing pejorative in it.

ugotlobbed
06-18-2005, 06:30 PM
:confused:

Try telling Roddick this when he faces Hewitt :haha:

consistent attack not 80 % error 20% winners

Sjengster
06-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Nadal got very lucky that Hewitt had to skip the clay-court season this year, he would have shown the young pretender who the real King of Clay is.

Fedex
06-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Nadal got very lucky that Hewitt had to skip the clay-court season this year, he would have shown the young pretender who the real King of Clay is is.
:lol:

Carito_90
06-18-2005, 07:11 PM

See avatar.

Once again, I must agree with The Great Becca.

Answer: No.

heya
06-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Getting bagelled on clay, grass & hard courts is Nadal's biggest goal.
The fighter should keep a lean body. He can serve 90 mph, volley like Serena Williams, miss forehands & dump balls in the net.

Chloe le Bopper
06-18-2005, 09:38 PM
his game has more similarities to carlos moya than hewitt

This is a comparison that would make more sense.

Mind you, I'm sure that Moya would trade backhands and Rafa would trade serves ;)

Chloe le Bopper
06-18-2005, 09:40 PM

I assume it to be pejorative in nature, because somehow "going by way of Lleyton" is considered dropping off the face of the earth to some. Sort of like how people used to say that Lleyton was another Courier :confused: (when I was a hater I said that he'd never be another Courier because he was never that good :devil:... but that was then, this is now ;)). It doesn't have to make sense.

Anyways, I agree with you. If Nadal achieves half of what Hewitt has, I'd say that's pretty good stuff ;)

garylanders
06-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Nadal´s got more powerful groundstrokes thats for sure but when Leyton played Nadal in Ausopen Nadal was the more defensive player i.m.o anyways

eleven11
06-19-2005, 01:31 AM
When I only use my ears to 'watch' Nadal's matches, he really sounds like 'Maria'.... :cool:....(no offence to anyone, if so, then sorry about that) ...

LaTenista
06-19-2005, 02:00 AM
No, Nadal shows his opponents more respect on the court and in press conferences. Also, Nadal is able to make a defensive shot into an offensive one.

Chloe le Bopper
06-19-2005, 02:02 AM
Maria squeels. Nadal GRUNTS. :)

Fedex
06-19-2005, 02:24 AM
Maria squeels. Nadal GRUNTS. :)
All too true.

NYCtennisfan
06-19-2005, 03:14 AM
I assume it to be pejorative in nature, because somehow "going by way of Lleyton" is considered dropping off the face of the earth to some. Sort of like how people used to say that Lleyton was another Courier (when I was a hater I said that he'd never be another Courier because he was never that good ... but that was then, this is now ). It doesn't have to make sense.

Anyways, I agree with you. If Nadal achieves half of what Hewitt has, I'd say that's pretty good stuff

The Courier example is a good one. Anyone who can't hit outright winners from anywhere is assumed to be "not so talented" when in fact they have a lot of talents that has gotten them to #1 or #2 or #3 in the world. I played tennis at a pretty high level but didn't have the talent necessary to play with ATP players. I just didn't.

When you look at it, how many players can hit outright winners from any position on the court using all the strokes? Federer? Safin? Are those the only talented players on tour? They may be the most talented but hitting winners is not the only talent! Nadal is 18 years old and is number 3 in the world. LH was number 1 when he was 20 years old. You have to be damn talented to be doing what they are doing.

sanpo
06-19-2005, 05:10 AM
Game-wise I think they are. They both retrieve balls very well and both have tremendous foot speed.

BUt in terms of talent, I still have to go to Hewitt. He has won more grand slam. And the ability to evolve and adapt your game continually for it to be effective is also talent. Proof of why he has reached GS finals this and last year (AO 05, USO 04) [sorry if I miss anything].

Chloe le Bopper
06-19-2005, 05:39 AM
In all due respect, I don't think that "Hewitt has won more slams" is exactly an appropriate barometer for success, seeing as Hewitt had won exactly zero slams when he was Rafa's current age. Not that comparing them at particular ages is an appropriate way of guaging their respective talent levels, mind you.

MisterQ
06-19-2005, 05:59 AM
I don't see their games as terribly similar, except for the fact that they are both very fast and consistent, and amazing defensive players.

Nadal's intense spin handcuffs and bullies his opponents around in ways that Hewitt's cleaner shots do not. Even if the ball is not placed deeply, it can be very difficult to attack. One need only look at Federer's recent matches against these two players to see the additional difficulties that Nadal's spin presents. Hewitt is most effective feeding off the pace of his opponent, which helps him on faster surfaces, while Nadal is more effective than Hewitt at generating his own pace.

morningglory
06-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Nadal's offense > Hewitt
defense >>> Hewitt
Hewitt = a yellow cowardly chicken-hearted defender
nuff' said

Chloe le Bopper
06-19-2005, 07:44 AM
Hewitt cowardly?!

Auscon
06-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Hewitt cowardly?!

pay no mind to someone who's username is a stiffy ;)

C3PO
06-19-2005, 07:53 AM
The Great Roger Federer HIMSELF says that Nadal and Hewitt are very similar:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-1660048_3,00.html

... In the French Open, Nadal took his revenge in the semi- finals and a consensus emerged that the young Spaniard would prove the greatest threat to Federer’s status. Federer is sceptical. “He’s very similar to Hewitt,” he said. “They both had great results when they were young. Why? Because they were physically and mentally very strong at a young age. What Nadal has achieved is fantastic, but at the moment he lives on the unknown factor. The top players haven ’t played him enough to know his game.” ...

NYCtennisfan
06-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Interesting comment by Federer but he is saying that their success at an early age is the similarity and not necessarily their games.

Chloe le Bopper
06-19-2005, 06:27 PM
When Nadal beat Federer the first time he also said that Nadal would follow him up as the next number 1. At the time it sounded a trifle absurd ;)

Guess he's changed his tune. Or not. I suppose that doesn't really have to contradict his former comment.

LaTenista
06-19-2005, 09:16 PM
When Nadal beat Federer the first time he also said that Nadal would follow him up as the next number 1. At the time it sounded a trifle absurd ;)

Guess he's changed his tune. Or not. I suppose that doesn't really have to contradict his former comment.

Actually, I think Moya and Ferrer both said Nadal would reach number 1 in the world before he'd ever played Federer. Ever since I've seen Nadal play, I've believed he'll make it to the top. These last 5 months though have made me realize that Nadal has a shot of becoming the youngest no. 1 ever (beating Hewitt's record of 20 years and some months).

Chloe le Bopper
06-20-2005, 03:03 AM
Nadal could get enough points by the end of this year to have ended the year number 1 any year from 2000-2003 (he'll need another 300, which is he may not get but it's not an impossibility). The thing is that Federer is just too good everywhere to pass at this point. I imagine it will remain that way at least through next season, but we'll see.