Article: "Federer is too nice" - Becker [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Article: "Federer is too nice" - Becker

DDrago2
06-17-2005, 07:14 PM
An article I just found when I googled for Wimbledon news:

Federer is too nice - Becker
By Leo Spall, Evening Standard
17 June 2005

Boris Becker is convinced that Roger Federer would have a bigger following if he was nasty. The former Wimbledon champion believes the world No1 is being penalised for being nice and does not get the respect that he deserves.

Federer has won the Championships for the last two years and is unbeaten in 29 matches on grass going into his first round match against Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu when the tournament starts next week.

He has already entered tennis's hall of fame for winning three out of four Grand Slams and eight other titles last year.

But the undemonstrative Swiss does not have the fanatical support enjoyed by other top players such as Tim Henman or Lleyton Hewitt.

Becker said: "He is not an outgoing personality but he is a nice guy and people criticise him for that. Excuse me, what times are we living in?

"He is a big character. He stays in control on the court and that tells me he is a character. You don't have to be out of control.

"Federer is a very special player, a rare breed. I would almost call him a genius the way he plays and wins matches. He is an incredible shot-maker and plays tennis the way it ought to be played.

"Slowly people are realising that. He should get much more credit and respect than he does. Eventually people will realise he is an amazing player."

Becker won his first of three Wimbledon titles 20 years ago when he was aged just 17 and has worked as a BBC pundit at the Championships since retiring.

He will be there again next week and believes the generation of players to follow Federer has already started to come through.

Becker said: "His main challengers this year will be Hewitt, Henman and Andy Roddick.

"They are the establishment and you have another group coming, so it is an exciting time for tennis.

"Rafael Nadal is by far the best player of this generation. Looking back there have been other young players such as Stefan Edberg, John McEnroe, Federer, and I was not bad.

"Nadal is among that league and will eventually learn to play on grass. He is not there yet but he is not a pushover either."

NYCtennisfan
06-17-2005, 10:10 PM
People still don't realize that Federer is a special talent/player?

Seleshfan
06-17-2005, 10:11 PM
""Federer is a very special player, a rare breed. I would almost call him a genius the way he plays and wins matches.

What would it take to convince Becker that Federer is a genius? Join MENSA? :rolleyes: If Federer isn't a tennis genius, then the rest of the tour is one big group of "special ed" kids.

Sjengster
06-17-2005, 10:16 PM
The title of the article is very misleading, I thought it meant Becker was actually criticising Federer for being too nice when all he's saying is that he doesn't get the attention he deserves. If the "too nice" tag was meant to be a criticism of his game, suggesting he lacks a killer instinct, then it would at least be worth discussing whether one agrees with it or not, but in this context I couldn't care less. Popularity ruins a lot of good things, I'd much rather he be the man everyone ignores but who still comes away with the big titles at the end of the day.

alexito
06-17-2005, 10:18 PM
I read it, becker look like a gay.

Seleshfan
06-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Well Federer certainly isn't nice in Finals, is he? In fact, he's more like Scrooge! Becker should write an article, on how stingy Federer is.

Neely
06-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Hardly surprising to see that more encomiums about Federer are coming from Becker. He really doesn't leave out any possibility, I hardly can hear it anymore... lol

But overall, Becker is right with most of the things.

He is not an outgoing personality but he is a nice guy and people criticise him for that. Excuse me, what times are we living in?
True Boris, I'm wondering that too sometimes. I believe that you need to be an asshole in some other businesses, especially in higher positions in order to achieve something; but I don't think it's necessary for tennis. And as long as Federer does the things that are needed to win so many matches as he is usually winning all the time, I think he's doing all right and shouldn't be critisized for just being nice(r) and more down-to-earth than some other stars or celebrities with lots of airs and graces.

oneandonlyhsn
06-17-2005, 10:38 PM

And the idiot comes back :rolleyes:

Ginger
06-17-2005, 10:43 PM
I read your posts, you look like an idiot. :p

RogersGirl
06-17-2005, 10:48 PM

and you look like an idiot.

go away.

Deivid23
06-18-2005, 12:37 AM
lol how alexito pisses off people....

oneandonlyhsn
06-18-2005, 01:16 AM
lol how alexito pisses off people....

He really does, he always does this in Federer threads. I dont really care for Roddick but you never see me going and pissing off Roddick fans by posting idiotic comments about the player.

Halba
06-18-2005, 01:19 AM
hehe nice off the court but on the court he is a rampaging bull as far as i'm concerned

no niceties when the game is ON~!

Deivid23
06-18-2005, 01:24 AM
He really does, he always does this in Federer threads. I dont really care for Roddick but you never see me going and pissing off Roddick fans by posting idiotic comments about the player.

But that´s how he enjoys, he will get bored if you don´t pay him attention. You all are making me start finding funny his behaviour cause he obtains a lot of pissed answers every time he attacks Federer...

Chloe le Bopper
06-18-2005, 01:28 AM
I'd like to have alexito's children.

lucashg
06-18-2005, 01:30 AM
No, actually I like to see people offending Alexito the way Rogiman does. I don't think he's pissed off at him, just paying him back (esp. mocking him) and that's funny.

But even funnier are people who defend him, :lol: Sometimes I even fall on that one thinking he actually is just a problem of comunication. But NO, just trolling. He deserves his share of bashing, esp. the ones who don't take him seriously.

I don't.

World Beater
06-18-2005, 03:04 AM
keep the faith...alexito!!!

star
06-18-2005, 04:15 AM
Roger isn't all that nice. :devil:

NYCtennisfan
06-18-2005, 06:54 AM
If Federer isn't a tennis genius, then the rest of the tour is one big group of "special ed" kids.

LOL!

wipeout
06-18-2005, 02:32 PM
"Rafael Nadal is by far the best player of this generation. Looking back there have been other young players such as Stefan Edberg, John McEnroe, Federer, and I was not bad.."

Yes, looking back from 23 year old Federer to 19 year old Nadal... 4 years and some months between them and that's a "generation"? :eek: :p

1sun
06-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Yes, looking back from 23 year old Federer to 19 year old Nadal... 4 years and some months between them and that's a "generation"? :eek: :p
took the words out of my mouth. was baffed by that quote.

DDrago2
06-18-2005, 05:18 PM
But Nadal is in different generation than Federer I think. Four years don't look too much, but in context it is a different generation. Federer was up-and-coming in different circumstances than Nadal, tennis was in different state. Four years in tennis right now are enough to make a generation. Federer, Roddick, Hewitt, Ferrero etc. are one generation, and Nadal, Gasquet, Djokovic etc. are another. It is good that they appeared, because tennis gained that particular generation-depth again, and which is very important.

And bout Becker comments, I was a bit surprised about how directly Becker opined that Federer is not getting the respect he deserves... I think that audiences actually realise what a player he is, but Federer by refusing to accept some media rules, because they are not in-tune with his dignity and self-respect, is making things complicated for him, for medias and for the audiences. That is what differs him from, say, Roddick or Nadal, or even Safin. And I don't have the impression that he is going to change... Maby Federer is not very adorable for medias and audiences, but he is the only player who seems to put some pressure on THEM to change a bit, instead accepting the pressure on him to be like this or that...

oneandonlyhsn
06-18-2005, 05:28 PM
But Nadal is in different generation than Federer I think. Four years don't look too much, but in context it is a different generation. Federer was up-and-coming in different circumstances than Nadal, tennis was in different state. Four years in tennis right now are enough to make a generation. Federer, Roddick, Hewitt, Ferrero etc. are one generation, and Nadal, Gasquet, Djokovic etc. are another. It is good that they appeared, because tennis gained that particular generation-depth again, and which is very important.

And bout Becker comments, I was a bit surprised about how directly Becker opined that Federer is not getting the respect he deserves... I think that audiences actually realise what a player he is, but Federer by refusing to accept some media rules, because they are not in-tune with his dignity and self-respect, is making things complicated for him, for medias and for the audiences. That is what differs him from, say, Roddick or Nadal, or even Safin. And I don't have the impression that he is going to change... Maby Federer is not very adorable for medias and audiences, but he is the only player who seems to put some pressure on THEM to change a bit, instead accepting the pressure on him to be like this or that...

Very well said

Auscon
06-18-2005, 05:30 PM
BS....I heard that Roger tells 'yo mama' jokes to the players he beats all the time, but he doesnt do it with a smile :(

Lleyton's heard them so many times he's actually starting to believe them

oneandonlyhsn
06-18-2005, 06:00 PM
BS....I heard that Roger tells 'yo mama' jokes to the players he beats all the time, but he doesnt do it with a smile :(

Lleyton's heard them so many times he's actually starting to believe them

I havent heard that before, are you sure its true or its just a long list of things made up Fed haters

mandoura
06-18-2005, 06:26 PM

I think linguistically, if I am not mistaken, a generation is around 10 years. It is not the same in sports though. Some say it is 5 years, others think it depends on when a player started playing/comepeting.

Sjengster
06-18-2005, 06:52 PM
I'd like to have alexito's children.

Buuuuuuuuuuu

NYCtennisfan
06-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Buuuuuuuuuuu

LOL!

KarstenBraasch#1
06-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Go Boris!

Daniel