Charasmatic Players [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Charasmatic Players

Haasfan
06-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Hey, I didn't think I should bother with a poll because I know Marat would be the universal choice. But what are the others that really spice up the ATP - people who seem interesting and seem to have a sense of humour

My personal favourites

Marat (obviously)
Marco Bagdahitis
Andy Roddick
Andre Agassi
Mario Ancic
Gael Monfils

Now please can all the groupies on this board refrain from posting the obvious - this is about charisma - not just being attractive

iliketennis
06-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Vince Spadea ;)

janks
06-17-2005, 01:44 PM
roddick and ancic are as charismatic as a soybean...

iliketennis
06-17-2005, 01:45 PM
roddick and ancic are as charismatic as a soybean...

There's something about those soybeans...

Kristen
06-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Graydon Oliver :yeah:
Jim Thomas! Seriously. Few people know of him, but he's super friendly :D
Jonas is very approachable and easy going. A bit of a dag.
Jurgen is cool once you've spoken to him a few times and broken him in! Just a regular guy :)

Other than that... of the guys I've spoken to.... these are pretty cool:
Alexander Waske - would be the kind of guy you could hang out with for drinks!
Alex Bogomolov - I know, he can act a bit ass-ish on court, but get him off court and he's awesome :yeah:
Alexander Popp - very friendly
Brian Vahaly - I miss him! He's the sweetest, friendliest guy.

Sorry I raved on so much! Obviously I like all the guys in my signature for their personalities...often more than their tennis, but some seem shy or a bit reserved ;) And some players... I don't know if they're friendly or just polite because I'm a chick!? Oliver Marach really opened up to me, telling me about this yellow fluid that came out of his foot! :haha: somehow, it made him endearing!

Vass
06-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Younes.

Agassi? I don't like his personality...

NicoFan
06-17-2005, 02:16 PM
I llike drama on the court. Sorry polite doesn't do it for me.

Actually your favorite player Tommy H. is very fun to watch. When he used to yell at Red the entire match, and then say things after the match that he yelled at Red because he wasn't coaching him during the match. lol!

My favorite, Nico Massu, has lots of drama, racquet throwing, etc.

Ditto Marat. And love the outrageous things he says to the media.

Rafa is fun to watch because of all the fist pumping and vamosing.

I get a kick out of Andy's complaining even though some people find it annoying.

Puschkin
06-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Charisma is more than fist-bumping;) and ridiculing the media. It is also more than being interesting and witty at press conferences.

Marat is rather unique in this, I'd say. He manages to get you involved, makes you feel what he feels, the frustration and the anger. You perfectly understand why he throws a raquet and in this particular moment you want to do the same.

rofe
06-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Charisma is very subjective but to me it is Marat Safin without a doubt. Nobody even comes close. He comes across as being very genuine about his emotions on court and potrays the human side of tennis very well.

Puschkin
06-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Charisma is very subjective but to me it is Marat Safin without a doubt. Nobody even comes close.

I totally agree, you expressed perfectly what I tried to say :wavey: .

AnnabelLee
06-17-2005, 03:14 PM
what 'bout guga?? he seems to be a very laid-back person with a lot of charisma!!

*Ljubica*
06-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Charisma is more than fist-bumping;) and ridiculing the media. It is also more than being interesting and witty at press conferences.

Marat is rather unique in this, I'd say. He manages to get you involved, makes you feel what he feels, the frustration and the anger. You perfectly understand why he throws a raquet and in this particular moment you want to do the same.

I totally agree with this - lots of people seem to think shouting, screaming, waving your fist and acting like a spoilt 2 year old is being "charismatic", but I disagree and feel that guys like Carlos Moya and Roger Federer are much more charismatic because they remain cool and calm but you just know there is more passion and feeling hidden beneath the surface - Bjorn Borg was the same in my opinion. I also think Guga is an incredibly charismatic character. I do agree about Marat though - he is intelligent, multi-lingual and humourous as well as his more dramatic features.

Skyward
06-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Hanescu :lol:

vaiva
06-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Off the top of my head:

Ivo Karlovic, Nikolay Davydenko, Jiri Novak, Vincent Spadea, Tomas Zib, etc. The list is endless.

Satanic Pasteur
06-17-2005, 03:34 PM
I saw Freak show at RG quallies when he beat that retarded Robert Kendrick and it was hilarious but we were only a few attending this.
Fatty Labadze hands down :worship:

World Beater
06-17-2005, 03:42 PM
irakli beats safin for this poll...he is just great.

tennis4eva
06-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Graydon Oliver :yeah:
Jim Thomas! Seriously. Few people know of him, but he's super friendly :D
Jonas is very approachable and easy going. A bit of a dag.
Jurgen is cool once you've spoken to him a few times and broken him in! Just a regular guy :)

Other than that... of the guys I've spoken to.... these are pretty cool:
Alexander Waske - would be the kind of guy you could hang out with for drinks!
Alex Bogomolov - I know, he can act a bit ass-ish on court, but get him off court and he's awesome :yeah:
Alexander Popp - very friendly
Brian Vahaly - I miss him! He's the sweetest, friendliest guy.

Sorry I raved on so much! Obviously I like all the guys in my signature for their personalities...often more than their tennis, but some seem shy or a bit reserved ;) And some players... I don't know if they're friendly or just polite because I'm a chick!? Oliver Marach really opened up to me, telling me about this yellow fluid that came out of his foot! :haha: somehow, it made him endearing!
OMG I can't believe Oliver said that to you! :tape:
btw, who's that on your avatar? ;)

*Ljubica*
06-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Yeah - I forgot Irakli - he's up there with Marat on this one! Talented, charming, funny, crazy, sweet when he wants to be - I love Irakli :worship:

Haasfan
06-17-2005, 04:26 PM
I llike drama on the court. Sorry polite doesn't do it for me.

Actually your favorite player Tommy H. is very fun to watch. When he used to yell at Red the entire match, and then say things after the match that he yelled at Red because he wasn't coaching him during the match. lol!

My favorite, Nico Massu, has lots of drama, racquet throwing, etc.

Ditto Marat. And love the outrageous things he says to the media.

Rafa is fun to watch because of all the fist pumping and vamosing.

I get a kick out of Andy's complaining even though some people find it annoying.

I don't know about Tommy. He's not boring - but to me I like him because he's German, very talented and a nice guy - yeh he does get aggressive and rants at times - yet I wouldn't equate that as charisma - I admit he isn't boring, yet this doesn't set him apart - occasionally when he gets very angry and shouts in english it can be funny - but its not intentional......

Like Kiefer, he gets very aggressive, sensitive and emotional - I don't see that as charisma though.

I think Schuttler has a sense of humour - with taking pictures of balls that go out in MC last year - but he's a cool cucumber most of the time

I see charisma as interesting, intriguing and DIFFERENT - that they do something out of the blue that you don't expect - well Marat and Andy are for me charasmatic because they can be funny when they want to be.

Yeh, I missed out Guga by accident - definitely an interesting character and public magnet

I just don't think racket throwing, shouting, swearing and generally behaving like an ass is charasmatic - with Marat is may be different because he is so extrovert and really makes the crowds understand him and carries them along on his wavelength... like John Mcenroe - it was because he was witty and had a great sense of humour that set him apart from the other racket smashers.

Agassi is just enigmatic - he can be funny, laid back in interviews or grouchy and bad-tempered. Its just he has a hidden quality that makes him special.

NicoFan
06-17-2005, 04:33 PM
I just don't think racket throwing, shouting, swearing and generally behaving like an ass is charasmatic.

I don't think that racket throwing, shouting, and swearing makes a player look like they are behaving like an ass.

Obviously there are players that do that that looks like jerks.

But most of the are just showing their emotions.

Which is nice to see - a passionate player.

Who wants to see an unemotional passionless player for 3 hours? I don't. Show me your emotions. Show me your care. Show me that you give a shit whether you win or lose. Show me that you have blood running through your veins, and you're not an ice king.

NicoFan
06-17-2005, 04:41 PM
And can I add to that fist-pumping and vamos (or the equivalent in whatever language).

I really cannot stand the ice king type of player.

I want emotion - I like emotion in a player.

If I wanted to see an ice king corporate type player, I'd become a golf fan.

Julio1974
06-17-2005, 04:53 PM
I have a different notion of charisma... In my view, the most charismatic player I've ever seen were Noah and Guga.

DanEd
06-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Safin, Gaudio ,and Guga

DanEd
06-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Agassi too
Safin, Gaudio ,and Guga

Clara Bow
06-17-2005, 05:08 PM
 Marat Safin- I think other posters have covered this pretty well
 Rafael Nadal- I think so because he really seems to be enjoying himself out on the court. I like watching him because he is really “locked in” when he is playing, and seems to have a genuine enthusiasm. I also like his interviews a lot because he is very expressive.
 Andy Roddick- He is a natural with the press.
 Younes- I wish he hadn’t been struck with so many injuries because he is such a great presence on the court. And gives great interviews too, and love how he seems like such a neat guy .
 Marcos Baghdatis- plays with a joy that seems genuine. I want him to start going further in tournaments so I can see more of him.
 Guga- has the personality of soda pop, sweet and bubbly

RogiFan88
06-17-2005, 05:11 PM
well if you really want to be a stickler for the word "charismatic"...

having, exhibiting, or based on charisma >

a : personal magic of leadership arousing special popular loyalty or enthusiasm for a public figure b : a special magnetic charm or appeal

charm >

a trait that fascinates, allures, or delights b : a physical grace or attraction -- used in plural c : compelling attractiveness

So let's see who fits the bill... ;)

RogiFan88
06-17-2005, 05:13 PM
so it could be someone who has some "magic" about him, is popular, makes people enthusiastic about him and has some special charm or appeal... someone who is charming physically or has a certain attraction; someone who fascinates people...

MARAT

gooner88
06-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Younes was great. I don't think any tennis fan could hate him regardless of who they support. A true gentleman in every sense of the word.
Shame about all the injuries he had. :sad:

NicoFan
06-17-2005, 05:31 PM
so it could be someone who has some "magic" about him, is popular, makes people enthusiastic about him and has some special charm or appeal... someone who is charming physically or has a certain attraction; someone who fascinates people...

MARAT

lol!

And have to add, there are so many cookie cutter type tennis players - guys that look like they're going to play at the local tennis club. Again, not for me. Give me a guy with a personality, someone who is a tad different. Doesn't matter what way, just don't want a player that makes me go to sleep.

Someone like MARAT! lol! I like him too!

Experimentee
06-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Rafael Nadal
Marat Safin
Novak Djokovic
Marcos Bagdhatis
Daniel Koellerer :tape:

croat123
06-17-2005, 07:58 PM
goran had more charisma than all of them (well maybe with the exception of safin, they are about equal) :p

zethand
06-17-2005, 08:07 PM
Vince Spadea ;)

You must be kidding!! :D

zethand
06-17-2005, 08:11 PM
There are many players who fake their charisma... they are not authentic...
To me Marat Safin can be the player with a real charisma.

AnnabelLee
06-17-2005, 08:55 PM
There are many players who fake their charisma... they are not authentic...
To me Marat Safin can be the player with a real charisma.

you cant fake charisma. either you have it or you dont have it. its a talent.

Lila
06-17-2005, 08:57 PM

Exactly. :D

Meeek
06-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Martin Verkerk... !

Chloe le Bopper
06-17-2005, 10:25 PM
goran had more charisma than all of them (well maybe with the exception of safin, they are about equal) :p
Which Goran?

alexito
06-17-2005, 11:25 PM
agassi is the best and only, always and forever.

DanEd
06-17-2005, 11:26 PM
alexito What do you think about Federer and Coria? :p
agassi is the best and only, always and forever.

oneandonlyhsn
06-17-2005, 11:36 PM
I find Roger Federer and Marat Safin to be very charismatic. Safin is a very obvious choice coz he lets you in and is witty.
Roger, I love listening to his interviews particulalry in French, he is quite funny. Somehow the humour doesnt translate when he is being interviewed in English. Plus I love seeing the passion he exudes in his eyes when he plays.

Sjengster
06-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Just for you HaasFan, as you seem to be obsessed with charisma and personality on the ATP:

Gaudio
Chela
Mayer
Santoro
Novak
Sanchez
Burgsmuller

Sjengster
06-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Who wants to see an unemotional passionless player for 3 hours?

Me. :wavey:

NicoFan
06-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Me. :wavey:

You have to give a person credit for admitting something like that... :D

Or maybe you have insomnia and need help sleeping? :zzz:

Just teasing ya Sjengster!!! ;)

Nathy
06-18-2005, 01:02 AM
I'd say Safin, Baghdatis, Roddick AND Federer, Moyá coz I agree with this post:

I totally agree with this - lots of people seem to think shouting, screaming, waving your fist and acting like a spoilt 2 year old is being "charismatic", but I disagree and feel that guys like Carlos Moya and Roger Federer are much more charismatic because they remain cool and calm but you just know there is more passion and feeling hidden beneath the surface - Bjorn Borg was the same in my opinion. I also think Guga is an incredibly charismatic character. I do agree about Marat though - he is intelligent, multi-lingual and humourous as well as his more dramatic features.

Sjengster
06-18-2005, 01:08 AM
You have to give a person credit for admitting something like that... :D

Or maybe you have insomnia and need help sleeping? :zzz:

Just teasing ya Sjengster!!! ;)

I'm exaggerating actually, I'm fond of a few players who show emotion on court... just not your kind of emotion. :p

lucashg
06-18-2005, 02:20 AM
Charisma is so subjective. It's not really because one is "interactive" on-court that he suddenly becomes charismatic. Fistpumps, cmons, vamos, jumps, mocking, racket smashings, yelling. Those don't equal charisma to me, although some players who do that are charismatic, i.e. Nadal, Safin.

I agree with Rosie, to sum up. Really, I think the likes of Federer and Moya are very charismatic. And Guga! Agassi, Coria, Baghdatis also are. Roddick and Hewitt seem to be, but mostly only for their home crowds :p

NATAS81
06-18-2005, 02:32 AM
Agassi, Federer

Chloe le Bopper
06-18-2005, 02:39 AM
According to this article, Nadal is already leading the tour in charisma (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1071276,00.html) :D

Some of you won't like that article very much :tape:

DanEd
06-18-2005, 02:46 AM
he is the king of charisma.
According to this article, Nadal is already leading the tour in charisma (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1071276,00.html) :D

NATAS81
06-18-2005, 02:47 AM
He's a swashbuckling teenager alright.

NicoFan
06-18-2005, 02:54 AM
I liked it! ;)

They had an article in Tennis magazine in the June issue that talked about players who had the "it" factor with some promoters/marketing people. They didn't mention Rafa (hadn't won when it came out, and even though those of us who follow tennis saw the kid coming a couple of years ago, they only care about what is happening now). But they did mention how Roger probably doesn't have the "it" factor. "It" factor = personality. Andre they claim has it (obviously they're right there). Andy has the potential to have it (again agree with that).

Of course, different strokes for different folks as we can see from the posts. Roger is popular with the hardcore tennis fans, but I don't think he really sells well outside of that population. I think Rafa will though big time if he can win on hardcourts (I don't think grass really matters that much because its only 3 weeks).

I haven't see this much buzz about an up and coming player since Andre.

oneandonlyhsn
06-18-2005, 03:43 AM
I forgot to mention in my earlier post, the most charismatic player for me was Bjorn Borg. I went back and watched a couple of his matches, the guy had something about him. Its hard to point a finger at it, but he had that something special. Plus his hairdo at the time was just unbelievable

Thanks for the article Chloe :wavey: , I agree with almost everything. Carillo is right its too hard to watch Rafas opponents when he plays. The kid is up there in terms of charisma and sheer love for the game.

goran_the_2nd
06-18-2005, 03:55 AM
two most charismatic players of all time were playing on senior tour today (ok, yesterday actually). in case you dont know their names, i'm talking about - Ivanisevic and McEnroe ;)

Mimi
06-18-2005, 04:05 AM
for me, it always is my beloved goran :cool:

Lee
06-18-2005, 05:23 AM
Which Goran?

Bad Goran, IMO

claudine140
06-18-2005, 06:51 AM
moya has charisma
he is always polite, has an opinion about many things in live, politic and about tennis, but says it on a respectfully way to the media, to the public, to a person.
He is very sportive, his attitude on court is acceptable: shows emotions when it is necesarry. Is always polite to press even when they let him down in the years after his win at rg and being number one. He was very sad about the spanish press behaviour but he stayed calm and gave interviews afterwards. He can make jokes, but he wants to keep distance about his personal live. That is normal.

RodLo
06-18-2005, 07:18 AM
Roddick, Nadal, and Safin

perrygreen
06-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Marat for me. Marat is funny even when he's not trying to be funny and he is super funny when he wants to be funny. It seems that his mind functions in a bizzard way very diffrent from all other people :cuckoo::confused:and that's very interesting:hearts:.

Ferrero Forever
06-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Oh Goran wins for sure. I was just so sad that I discovered him at his last Wimbledon, but he was so delightful. Other than him, heres what I think of the players I've spoken too, i'll even put them in an order.
=1. Fernando Verdasco: Such a little sweetie, when I wanted him to sign my spanish coloured hat, he kept shouting out to me while he was signing everyone elses autographs, he was so polite, and he that little smile he gave me when he said bye went straight to my heart.
=1. Guillermo Garcia Lopez: He was so nice, very well mannered and he talked to me for the whole of Ferrero's match and the Australian Open. He seems a little shy, but he has a great sense of humour, even though his english isn't the best. He was trying to be funny with me and that was just lovely.
3. Juan Carlos Ferrero: I didn't get to talk to him for long but he was really nice, (after my first day at the Australian Open I was worried he was going to be a total asshole because Albert Costa was to me, but when he was nice I was so relieved.) Just his eyes and his smile are captivating.
4. Feliciano Lopez: Was really nice, didn't mind me coming up to him when he was watching someone elses match. There was just something about him that I really liked.
5. Albert Costa: When I watched his match I was cheering for him louder than everyone else was and he actually clapped on his racquet while looking at me as if to say thank you for your support. Then he started getting really angry when he lost his match. It was my first live tennis match, so I expected the loser to still give autographs. I went up to the gate and he was sitting a metre away from me, so it wouldn't have hurt for him to give me an autograph, but instead he walked the other way to get away from me. The crowd booed him because of what he did to me. But when I went up to Feliciano Lopez the next day Costa was sitting with him, and he gave me his signature and seemed really nice. I know now that the loser doesn't give autographs, but it was my first tennis match so he really ruined it for me.
For me charisma has something to do with how polite the players are, but if I haven't spoken to them it's usually just something about them which I really really like.

vincayou
06-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Marat, Nadal, Agassi and Monfils.

Action Jackson
06-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Seppi
Vicente

Billy Moonshine
06-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Roddick
Safin
Guga

lau
06-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Marat (it`s pretty obvious I would say this... :p ).
Guga: such a sweet person and very charismatic, too
Roddick: He`s not one of my favourites, but he`s deffinitely charismatic... He has got a natural talent with the press too.
Rafa: I need more time to say if he is one of the most charismatic... He has been doing very well the last months :lol: His interviews in RG were hilarious and the camera adores his.... We`ll see

About Federer, sorry, Federer fans, but I don´t find him charismatic at all. Maybe it`s because I don´t understand French or German... I don´t know... Of course, this doesn´t mean he`s not one of the greatest players ;)

Ferrero Forever
06-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Oh I definetly find Federer charasmatic. I don't know if it's just me, or is it that when he does interviews in english and they make him laugh he seems like a total idiot, just standing there laughing trying to find the words in english. The last time I saw him do that I was almost in tears because I was laughing at him, but I was thinking what a good sport he is because of it, just the look on his face was charasmatic. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I really like Federer too!

kattak
06-18-2005, 01:41 PM
James Blake is very charasmatic in my opinion. Even though I have never met him, I've never heard anyone say anything negative about him. He also seems like a very humble guy who is still fighting to get where he wants to be in the rankings despite all of the injuries and hardships that he faced last year. :cool:

Exodus
06-18-2005, 01:44 PM
yeah James Blake is a very humble and nice guy, hope he will make his way to the top 10 soon.

Ferrero Forever
06-18-2005, 01:50 PM
ooh nice one, james blake is great, his personality, his gameplay, everything about him is great.