Djokovic def. Moodie and enters in main draw [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Djokovic def. Moodie and enters in main draw

Deivid23
06-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Defeated Moodie 4-6 6-0 6-7 7-6 6-3. Dog fight as expected, but Djokovic managed to take this. Well done Nole!

Now it´s time to make some nice noise out there :yeah:

PD: It may be funny if he plays JCF in 1st round. I´ll pray for that :devil:

Dragan
06-17-2005, 12:46 PM
great win!
he saved 2 match points too
all he needs is to win his first round match and he will enter the top 100!!!!

roisin
06-17-2005, 12:47 PM
:banana: for Novak!
:woohoo:

Yoel and co.
06-17-2005, 12:47 PM
He saved a couple of curcial break points in the last game.

Dark horse alert :devil:

Action Jackson
06-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Qualified for the 3 Slams this year, it's a matter of time for him, as long as he can keep developing.

Deivid23
06-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Qualified for the 3 Slams this year, it's a matter of time for him, as long as he can keep developing.

Hope so, big talent there, just need to mature

MariaV
06-17-2005, 12:53 PM
GREAT kid, GREAT kid! :D Glad that he's doing well! Go Top 100! :woohoo:

Action Jackson
06-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Hope so, big talent there, just need to mature

The attitude is even more important as the talent is there, how he is managed is vital..

MariaV
06-17-2005, 12:58 PM
The attitude is even more important as the talent is there, how he is managed is vital..
Yeah George, I hope he has the right people around him. :)

Deivid23
06-17-2005, 01:06 PM

Indeed

iliketennis
06-17-2005, 01:18 PM
This is great for Djoko. Men generally don't mature in tennis as quickly as women. He has the capability to do anything with his career.

janks
06-17-2005, 01:38 PM
he NEEDS to work on his physique PRONTO! also on the mental strenght.. he's very much up-and-down in the matches.. especially in the matches he should be winning.. this second set 6-0 says it all..he needed to take the match after that, not play a tie-breaker he lost in the end...
go nole!

Lucie
06-17-2005, 01:41 PM
on BBC fivelive they just had a tennis discussion and one of the tennis reporters said that after federer, Djokovic had one of the nicest games to watch

Yoel and co.
06-17-2005, 01:58 PM
on BBC fivelive they just had a tennis discussion and one of the tennis reporters said that after federer, Djokovic had one of the nicest games to watch

Really? Now I have to keep my eye open for if/when BBC show him playing next week.

Thanks for the tip !

Dragan
06-17-2005, 02:10 PM
well anyone who was at Roehampton could easily see what a great game he has, a lovely double handed backhand, he was unlucky vs Coria in the FO but the way he thrashed Ginepri was amazing!!!!!!
Guys i posted some of his pics from Roehampton this week on his own forum thread

World Beater
06-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Novak had coria on the ropes at rg for a bit before he had to retire

savesthedizzle
06-17-2005, 04:23 PM
:woohoo: I was a little bit nervous to wake up and see which way the 5th set had gone, but I'm very happy for Novak! I hope he gets a decent first round opponent.

Possibilities are Ferrero, Bjorkman, Dent, Berdych, Ancic, Koubek, Canas, Pavel, Murray, Monaco, Calatrava, Sanguinetti, Karlovic, or another qualifier.

Haute
06-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Congrats Novak! :D

Hopefully he'll face Koubek first. :p

Flibbertigibbet
06-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Could anyone brief me on how Djokovic plays? One-handed or two-handed backhand? All-court game or more tendency to stay back at the baseline? Attitude/personality in general? Thanks! :)

Deivid23
06-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Could anyone brief me on how Djokovic plays? One-handed or two-handed backhand? All-court game or more tendency to stay back at the baseline? Attitude/personality in general? Thanks! :)

Good serve, two-handed backhand, pretty good one, his forehand is quite good also and can give good pace from both sides. He returns the ball pretty early, he really made a clinic against Ginepri in Paris, who desperately saw how all his serves were returned deep. Moves well despite being tall. One hell of a talent :yeah:

Flibbertigibbet
06-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Nice, I hope to see some young guns do well in Wimbledon (Baghdatis, Gasquet, Djovokic, Wawrinka... I guess you could add Nadal to that list, too) if only to have a chance to see them on TV.

Golfnduck
06-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Awwww.....I really wanted Wesley to win. He worked with my sport psychologist for awhile and went to my college. Congratulations to Djokovic though, good win :yeah:

World Beater
06-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Good serve, two-handed backhand, pretty good one, his forehand is quite good also and can give good pace from both sides. He returns the ball pretty early, he really made a clinic against Ginepri in Paris, who desperately saw how all his serves were returned deep. Moves well despite being tall. One hell of a talent :yeah:

reminds me of another tall russian

Scotso
06-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Novak :banana:

Scotso
06-17-2005, 06:54 PM
reminds me of another tall russian

Novak isn't Russian.

World Beater
06-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Novak isn't Russian.

I know...it was a slight misuse of the english language ;)

Deboogle!.
06-17-2005, 07:18 PM
He'll play Juan Monaco in the bottom quarter of the draw

NYCtennisfan
06-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Another qualification! It's about time the guy got some WC's now. He's earned it.

lucashg
06-17-2005, 07:27 PM
I guess I've seen his match against Coria, but I don't remember him at all :confused: lol. Hopefully I'll watch some match of his in Wimbledon. By the description, his game looks like Safin's?

Scotso
06-17-2005, 07:30 PM
GREAT draw for Novak. He plays a clay courter first round, and one of two guys who are suspect on grass in the second round. If he plays well, he could go really far.

Scotso
06-17-2005, 07:31 PM
I guess I've seen his match against Coria, but I don't remember him at all :confused: lol. Hopefully I'll watch some match of his in Wimbledon. By the description, his game looks like Safin's?

erm, not really. he's less blind aggression and more mental. his forehand is a much more dangerous shot, whereas Safin can destroy you on both sides.

at least, that's why I remember of him.

Haute
06-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Another qualification! It's about time the guy got some WC's now. He's earned it.

Maybe he can take some of the gazillion that have been given to Gael Monfils...

Chris Seahorse
06-17-2005, 07:44 PM
He will soon be in the top 100. Heck he will soon be in the top 70. He won't need any wildcards. For that matter neither will Monfils anymore either.

savesthedizzle
06-17-2005, 07:47 PM
He'll play Juan Monaco in the bottom quarter of the draw

Thanks Deb for the info! :hug: That's great! I am pleased. I'm glad he didn't get Ancic or Karlovic :scared:

swap348
06-17-2005, 10:56 PM
First saw him playing against Safin at Ausopen. Impressed me to no end. Though he could win only a couple of games in 3 sets he played beautiful tennis. Very little to seperate their games. was powerless at the time of AO which he will gain with age(just turned 18 i think) but i can say is a calmer version of Safin.:yeah:
And he is the guy for me when safin retires :)

CassL
06-18-2005, 03:25 AM
And he is the guy for me when safin retires :)

Same for me here. he's already one of my faves.

goran_the_2nd
06-18-2005, 03:54 AM

can he handle the net? if he can, you could compare him to ancic maybe?

World Beater
06-18-2005, 04:09 AM

he moves better than ancic..clay seems to be a natural surface for him, although i have never seen him on grass

PennyThePenguin
06-18-2005, 04:44 AM
GREAT kid, GREAT kid! :D Glad that he's doing well! Go Top 100! :woohoo:

:yeah: :woohoo:

Deivid23
06-18-2005, 09:55 AM

Sinceresly, I´ve only seen a couple of matches from him and he looks more comfortable on baseline, I don´t remember him going to net often. And Mario still needs to improve his volley skills, his first volley should be more "definitive" imo.

Experimentee
06-18-2005, 10:38 AM

I've watched a few of his matches and I dont remember him ever going to the net once. So I guess there is your answer.
I wouldnt compare him to Safin either. He is much smaller and less powerful, and is a great scrambler/retriever, although he has nice groundstrokes as well.
Looking at his game I think he is more suited for clay, so its surprising to me he qualified for Wimbledon despite his tough draw. All credit to him, and it seems he has the game to adapt well to all surfaces, having qualified for every Slam.
He is very talented and destined for big things, and I wish him well for the upcoming main draw.
As for his team, they seem to be great and very supportive. When I saw him qualify for the AO they were so excited they jumped onto the court and celebrated with him, and they were all on their phones straight after to give the good news. I dont know how good they are at tennis but I would love to have people like that supporting me!

binkygirl
06-20-2005, 04:16 AM
Poor Wesley.. I hope he doesn't get too down after this.