MARCOS BAGHDATIS [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

MARCOS BAGHDATIS

its.like.that
06-17-2005, 10:10 AM
He's a former world #1 junior, who has been battling it out on the Futures and Challenger tour. Hasn't played in many top level events, although he did take a set off Federer at the US last year, and at this year's Aussie Open after making it through qualifying, he made the 4th round beating both Ljubicic and Robredo convincingly in the end.

By year's end I expect to see him top 50 at least.

Does anyone have any insight on the Cypriot?

Deivid23
06-17-2005, 10:19 AM
I´ve only seen 3 or 4 matches from him, don´t know if that´s enough to judge, though. He has a good serve, powerful forehand, he doesn´t come to net often, prefers to work the point from behind being agressive, going for his shots. I rate him as a fairly good prospect, still I have other favs concerning young guns

its.like.that
06-17-2005, 10:34 AM
I´ve only seen 3 or 4 matches from him, don´t know if´that´s enough to judge, though. He has a good serve, powerful forehand, he doesn´t come to net often, prefers to work the point from behind. I rate him as a fairly good prospect, still I have other favs concerning young guns
Nico Almagro?

vincayou
06-17-2005, 10:51 AM
He had his lot of injuries, that's why his ranking is not higher. He'll be top 30 quickly IMO.

Deivid23
06-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Nico Almagro?

No, I don´t think Almagro will ever become a top player. Personality problems, needs a new (and more humble) brain. I´ve only seen a couple of matches of for instance, Novak Djokovic, but I´ve been stunned, last kid that left me with a similar shock after seen him a couple of times was Nadal several years ago.

Mrs. B
06-17-2005, 10:57 AM
i saw him play David Nalbandian in Roland Garros. This guy is really talented. He took that first set 6-0 and was hitting winners on both wings. He's very fast, good hands, and has an unbelievable fh. and he had a lot of supporters. they were cheering loudly. what i admired about him was that he was always smiling esp when he hit those beautiful winners. he was really enjoying himself.
but David won that match.
he lacks experience but he'll get there.

Action Jackson
06-17-2005, 11:05 AM
He's a former world #1 junior, who has been battling it out on the Futures and Challenger tour. Hasn't played in many top level events, although he did take a set off Federer at the US last year, and at this year's Aussie Open after making it through qualifying, he made the 4th round beating both Ljubicic and Robredo convincingly in the end.

By year's end I expect to see him top 50 at least.

Does anyone have any insight on the Cypriot?

He can play very well and what do you want to know.

World Beater
06-17-2005, 11:08 AM
djokovic is the next safin

its.like.that
06-17-2005, 12:21 PM
He can play very well and what do you want to know.
well, he hasn't exactly dominated the Challengers, as I would expect a player of his talent to do... and he hasn't quite come through as well as say Gasquet or Nadal have.

I was wondering whether injuries have burndened him, or whether he just doesn't have the head to play at the top level.

LaTenista
06-17-2005, 12:58 PM
i saw him play David Nalbandian in Roland Garros. This guy is really talented. He took that first set 6-0 and was hitting winners on both wings. He's very fast, good hands, and has an unbelievable fh. and he had a lot of supporters. they were cheering loudly. what i admired about him was that he was always smiling esp when he hit those beautiful winners. he was really enjoying himself.

According to the ATP site, Marcos is living in Paris so they were getting behind their 'adopted' boy so to speak. :D

Last year he won 2 challengers (1 indoor hard, other carpet) after the US Open. I was impressed with what I saw watching his match with Fed on TV. Now all he has to do is get some results so he can come to TMS Cincinnati in August. Right now he'd have to qualify since he's 88 in the entry ranking. ;)

fini
06-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Tomorrow is his birthday.Marcos,Hope you have a good journey in Wimbledon.

its.like.that
06-17-2005, 01:48 PM
I think he can take Youzhny in the first round.

Turkeyballs Paco
06-17-2005, 02:47 PM

Yeah. I love watching him play and hope he keeps improving. :)

oneandonlyhsn
06-17-2005, 03:04 PM
This kid is really good, if it werent for all those darn injuries I think he would have broken through the top 30. He is so much fun to watch and has a nice game too. Hopefully he can make a comeback this year.

Experimentee
06-17-2005, 03:55 PM
He's very good, very talented with lots of flair. He seems to be a confidence player, so when he is feeling good he can get on a roll and produce amazing tennis.
He should be ranked higher but missed most of the year after the AO because of injury, and hes just getting his feel back now. He is great to watch, he has a very passionate personality, feeds off his fans and wears his heart on his sleeve. He really enjoys himself out there. I wish him well in his comeback and I think he should be top 30 at least.

*Ljubica*
06-17-2005, 05:43 PM

I was at that match too and would generally agree with Bebop's words. That first set was scary :eek: if you were supporting David like me!! He reminded me a lot of Fernando Gonzalez - very powerful, great forehand, but doesn't think enough - just hits out wildly - especially when under pressure. As to the supporters - well the ones sitting near me were mostly Cypriot as far as I could tell, but a lot of the Parisians were supporting him too because of his attitude and spirit.

Leo
06-17-2005, 05:45 PM
He's very talented and seems like a great guy, just from watching some of his matches. I'm definitely worried for Misha. ;)

SwissMister1
06-17-2005, 06:03 PM
I think he'll do well - the big stage doesn't frighten him at all.

NYCtennisfan
06-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Very fun to watch and it's only a matter of time now before he hits that Gasquet stage where he gets some big wins and moves on up rankings list.

Clara Bow
06-17-2005, 06:28 PM
Very fun to watch and it's only a matter of time now before he hits that Gasquet stage where he gets some big wins and moves on up rankings list.

And can't wait for that to happen. I was smitten at first viewing by this kid and want to see him proceed more in tournaments that I'm able to watch.

NYCtennisfan
06-17-2005, 06:45 PM
And can't wait for that to happen. I was smitten at first viewing by this kid and want to see him proceed more in tournaments that I'm able to watch.

Yes. I hope to see a lot of GAsquet/Baghdatis matchups in the future. Oh the shotmaking....

Action Jackson
06-18-2005, 11:41 AM
well, he hasn't exactly dominated the Challengers, as I would expect a player of his talent to do... and he hasn't quite come through as well as say Gasquet or Nadal have.

I was wondering whether injuries have burndened him, or whether he just doesn't have the head to play at the top level.

Injuries at the moment, he is a shotmaker and not a robot and should be able to play reasonably on all surfaces. Well Gasquet and Nadal are in a different league at the moment, so every single young player is supposed to be that good are they?

It will take more time for him to find his balance, but he'll do alright and isn't scared of the big stage.

its.like.that
06-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Injuries at the moment, he is a shotmaker and not a robot and should be able to play reasonably on all surfaces. Well Gasquet and Nadal are in a different league at the moment, so every single young player is supposed to be that good are they?

It will take more time for him to find his balance, but he'll do alright and isn't scared of the big stage.
I know that those 2 are in the top grade, but this kid is one I expect to join them...

tennis4eva
06-18-2005, 04:35 PM
I know that those 2 are in the top grade, but this kid is one I expect to join them...
Maybe he's just a late bloomer ;) I think he has just as much game and talent as Gasquet and Nadal, but he hasn't learned how to apply it as well as they have. We'll see him climb up the rankings in the next two years for sure!

Grinder
06-18-2005, 06:31 PM
I think Gasquet and Nadal are just the two breakthrough youngsters at the moment. I expect Baghdatis, Djokovic, Nicolas Almagro and Tomas Berdych to come through as top 30 players soon. I think it will be tough to predict how Almagro will do, he's got an explosive game and some Spaniards say he may be even more talented than Nadal. He took out Safin easily 6-4 6-3 eariler this year in Rome.

NYCtennisfan
06-18-2005, 08:50 PM
I know that those 2 are in the top grade, but this kid is one I expect to join them..

Soon....very soon.

Action Jackson
06-19-2005, 09:55 AM

Gasquet was a has-been this time last year, now he is some super genius. Nadal, these guys aren't overnight sensations and Baghdatis hasn't played a full season yet on the main tour, poor form and injuries have had something to do with that.

Deivid23
06-19-2005, 10:16 AM
I think it will be tough to predict how Almagro will do, he's got an explosive game and some Spaniards say he may be even more talented than Nadal. He took out Safin easily 6-4 6-3 eariler this year in Rome.

I will take this challenge. He has almost all the shots, it´s clear there´s talent there but I have the feeling Almagro won´t be a top player, at least in a near future. His personality needs a make up. Talent is not only about having a beautiful game or being a shotmaker as it may look if you read the posts around. Talent is also on players´ brains and there´s a huge difference between the best youngster in this department and the others ;)

Chris Seahorse
06-19-2005, 10:43 AM
I will take this challenge. He has almost all the shots, it´s clear there´s talent there but I have the feeling Almagro won´t be a top player, at least in a near future. His personality needs a make up. Talent is not only about having a beautiful game or being a shotmaker as it may look if you read the posts around. Talent is also on players´ brains and there´s a huge difference between the best youngster in this department and the others ;)

So true. If I was a tennis player and I had the choice between Gasquet's backhand and Nadal's mental strength, including his ability to focus on the present point and work as hard as he can to get the best out of himself, well I would love to have Gasquet's backhand but I'd still have to take Nadal's brain. Both are God-given talents that you can't teach.

Nathy
06-20-2005, 01:58 AM
I have seen a few matches and the last one I watched was live, as Rosie and Bebop, in FO against Nalbandian. He really impressed me much more than on tv. It's been a year I've been following his results and watching his matches when I could!

Really love this boy!

lazy p
06-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Maybe he's just a late bloomer ;) I think he has just as much game and talent as Gasquet and Nadal, but he hasn't learned how to apply it as well as they have. We'll see him climb up the rankings in the next two years for sure!

unfortunate not to be from a tennis country but tiny Cyprus no WC's receieved to push up his rankings so made his way up the hard/longer way playing futures&challengers.Add a number of injuries, and the fact that he has no personal coach and travels alone to most tournies.
Definetly has the talent and game but lacks luck and support.

marifline
06-20-2005, 10:27 PM
I saw him there too, against Nalbandian ..I was just behind his chair first row...All this part of the public was cheering him..I like him since...and he speaks french good point for him :)

PaulieM
06-20-2005, 11:34 PM
I saw him play today, he's great :)

Nathy
06-20-2005, 11:51 PM
Yeah but he lost :sad:

NYCtennisfan
06-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Needs to find that consistency. He alwyas plays at least 1 great set of tennis even when he loses. He kind of reminds me of Federer when he was young. He would lose, but he would play some brilliant tennis for a spell before starting to make errors.

its.like.that
06-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Good luck to Marcos in the future.

I have to say, of the 4 surfaces, grass probably suits him the least, so I doubt he will be too hung up on this result.