Gasquet a future Wimby contender? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gasquet a future Wimby contender?

Halba
06-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Well like Federer in the early 2000s Gasquet seems to have the game and the volleying skill to compete well on this surface.

Though an unlikely contender this year in 2-3 years he could be a definite contender to the title in terms of sheer talent. He may be a bit young at the moment but as his game develops he could upset Fed ala Fed did to Sampras.

DanEd
06-16-2005, 11:17 PM
may be. he has a good all court game

Halba
06-17-2005, 01:44 AM
which he HAS beaten Federer with so far (in Monte Carlo)

That is one huge backhand

Forehand is okay, and can improve, but it aint bad

Just needs greater stamina and mental toughness which will come as he wins more matches and as he gets older

I would like to see his game on a Hard Court. With a fast serve good s/v and the most powerful b/h in the game, he should be really competitive later this year.

ultraX
06-17-2005, 01:52 AM
I was so amazed by his game and groundstrokes when I first saw him against Federer @Monte Carlo. What an athlete! He has already beaten Federer and he will beat him again there's no doubt about that.

Gasquet will definately be next champion. He rocks!

** bottom line, players who have one-handed backhand ROCK!
just like Ivan Lendl used to :worship: :)

Halba
06-17-2005, 01:54 AM
which he HAS beaten Federer with so far (in Monte Carlo)

That is one huge backhand

Forehand is okay, and can improve, but it aint bad

Just needs greater stamina and mental toughness which will come as he wins more matches and as he gets older

I would like to see his game on a Hard Court. With a fast serve good s/v and the most powerful b/h in the game, he should be really competitive later this year.

its.like.that
06-17-2005, 10:15 AM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

its.like.that
06-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Richie Rich will lose to Nadal once again ;)

iliketennis
06-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Something sprung Richie to life! At the beginning of the season, he was lucky to win two consecutive matches ;)

Halba
06-17-2005, 10:42 AM
no way

not with Nadal's pussy serving. Will be broken ten times on grass.

World Beater
06-17-2005, 11:10 AM
the key to success will be gasquet's serve

WyveN
06-17-2005, 11:11 AM
he has amazing talent and given his age will most likely win some slams.

marifline
06-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Richie Rich will lose to Nadal once again ;)

in Wimby ? IMPOSSIBLE !!! First, it would surprise me if Nadal just manage to be in 3rd round.... ( but why not ? ):lol: where he could meet Richard and then no doubt Richard will kick his ass on grass :devil:
When you see Richie's results on clay ( semi and final in masters series def futur RG semi finalists Davydenko and Federer) and on grass ( quarter with some teeth problems, def Ancic and now semi - not finished yet-) well, you can be very enthousiastic for the future.... being as good as him on CLAY and GRASS :worship: respect...
Now, he must work on his physical condition...and everything will be perfect

Rex
06-17-2005, 11:58 AM
yeh- when he says its on, its on

C3PO
06-17-2005, 12:23 PM
If Richard meets Nadal in the 3rd round (And I said IF) I still give an advantage to Nadal because he has a far better stamina than Richard and can keep his concentration for a whole match (while Richard always have some up and downs as we saw yesterday in the 2nd set against Paradorn :rolleyes: )

Af for RIchard being a future Wimby contender for the years to come? I'd say Yes to that! He has the weapons and the talent! He just needs to improve his stamina.

Shabazza
06-17-2005, 12:51 PM
If Richard meets Nadal in the 3rd round (And I said IF) I still give an advantage to Nadal because he has a far better stamina than Richard and can keep his concentration for a whole match (while Richard always have some up and downs as we saw yesterday in the 2nd set against Paradorn :rolleyes: )

Af for RIchard being a future Wimby contender for the years to come? I'd say Yes to that! He has the weapons and the talent! He just needs to improve his stamina.
As allready mentoined by others, grass matches don't need as much stamina than clay matches - which makes Richard nearly even with Rafael even for 4 or 5 sets.
But you're right about mental toughnes, Rafael is playing in a different league...
But Richard definitely has the game to beat Rafael on grass, he just has to believe so himself and I think he does (He should have gained confidence from his recent grass matches) :)

NATAS81
06-17-2005, 03:11 PM
He deated Taylor Dent today in straight sets.

Definitely one to watch at Wimbledon.

delsa
06-17-2005, 03:40 PM
He deated Taylor Dent today in straight sets.

Definitely one to watch at Wimbledon.
Dent is far from being in top form...But it's a good result for Gasquet... ;)

NATAS81
06-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Dent has his ups and downs. You never know when he will blow away with a set, or tank badly.

Regardless of motivation or progress, Gasquet dealt with one of the fastest serves on tour, combined with a stealthy serve/volley game well and deserved the win fully.

Chris Seahorse
06-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Gasquet's game is definately more suited to grass than Nadal's but Nadal's mental toughness is worth a point a game even on grass. Should be a great match and I'd be very suprised if it didn't happen. I bet they put it on centre court.

NYCtennisfan
06-18-2005, 09:17 PM
No doubt about it. Chris Seahorse, good point about Nadal's mental toughness.

Clara Bow
06-19-2005, 06:53 AM
In the future I really think that Gasquet will win at least one title at Wimbly. (Since I have only read but not seen his matches on grass I could kinda be talking out of my rear end, but the written word is pretty persuasive and I do think that he will hold at least one- if not more- Wimbledon titles by the time his career is over.)

Exodus
06-19-2005, 09:29 AM
No!