Wimby Draw: Fed/Ancic Semi-Final possibility [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimby Draw: Fed/Ancic Semi-Final possibility

Halba
06-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Only person really who can upset Fed's game is Ancic. As he did in 2002, it can be safely said Fed fears his game. On grass that is

Looking at the draw Fed will play either Hewitt or Ancic (or even Safin) in the Semis. But i do not think Safin is a better player than Ancic on grass.

croat123
06-16-2005, 12:14 PM
actually, mario got about as good of a draw as he can get. he has hrbaty, safin, and hewitt to beat if he wants to make the semis and all of those matches are winnable

uNIVERSE mAN
06-16-2005, 12:21 PM
unless you're blind, stupid or both, you'd notice Fed has beat the crap out of him twice already this year. And Ancic hasn't done shit on any surface. If some how you think he will magically play above his peformance so far because he feels like it, you're on drugs.

Rogiman
06-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Bad player Federer, always easy draw, always no happy, only win tie break

buuuuuuuuuu

jajajajajaja

croat123
06-16-2005, 12:30 PM
unless you're blind, stupid or both, you'd notice Fed has beat the crap out of him twice already this year. And Ancic hasn't done shit on any surface. If some how you think he will magically play above his peformance so far because he feels like it, you're on drugs.
6-4 in the third in miami is beating the shit out of someone?

DDrago2
06-16-2005, 12:42 PM

You are underrating Ancic. I'v seen one of the matches that you reffer to and Roger seemed unusually out of control of that match. He capitalised on a few bad service-games from Ancic side, but he was not able to dominate.

I heared that in the second one it was even tougher.

Federer himself said that Ancic is very tough for him.

And both of these matches were on hard-courts - and you probabbly know that Ancic defeatet Federer in strait sets two years ago in Wimbledon, and that Federer didn't loose a match on grass since then...

I agree than Ancic is one of the most scary oponents for Federer, but I still think Federer would eventualy be able to pull it off. I still think that the toughest match for Federer will be the possible reprise of last year final against Roddick...

Rogiman
06-16-2005, 12:47 PM
And both of these matches were on hard-courts - and you probabbly know that Ancic defeatet Federer in strait sets two years ago in Wimbledon, and that Federer didn't loose a match on grass since then...

And how far did Mario go in that tournament you're all refering to as Mario's glorious moment?

Didn't he lose his following match...?

Deivid23
06-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Federer will win the title, but the only one I´d fear if I were him is Ancic

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Fed will beat this croatian cherub like you wouldn't believe. If Ancic even makes it that far, which I doubt.

SuperFurryAnimal
06-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Ancic is definitely one of the best grass players around. I'm not sure if he can beat Rogi, but if he does, he might go all the way. He's my - not so - dark horse for the tourney. Most certainly one to watch! :yeah:

mitalidas
06-16-2005, 01:52 PM
actually, mario got about as good of a draw as he can get. he has hrbaty, safin, and hewitt to beat if he wants to make the semis and all of those matches are winnable

how is this a good draw for mario?
does he have winning records against safin and hewitt? most people would say this is a tough draw for ANYONE, so on what basis is this a good draw for mario.

LaTenista
06-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Hrbaty and Safin have both been inconsistent this year. F-Lo isn't having a good year. I'd be shocked if Ancic didn't reach at least the QFs to face probably Hewitt or Dent.

For Fed, he's making it to the Semis more than likely - only resistance I could foresee is Baghdatis, who took a set off him at the US Open, if he can play on grass (anyone know?) or Verdasco, who has a bigger lefty serve than Nadal and made it through qualies 2 years ago when he was 19 to lose 1st round to Nieminen (was top 30 then) in 5 sets - not bad considering there are no grass courts in Spain.

mitalidas
06-16-2005, 02:10 PM
as poor as his form has been recently, there is some remote possibility that grudeski could cause trouble early on

Skyward
06-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Ancic has a lot of points to defend. Is he good at that?

mitalidas
06-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Ancic has a lot of points to defend. Is he good at that?

well, i think mancic will be less concerned with what points he has to defend and more concerned with going deep into the draw for what that means aside from any points

he would have to take out both safin and hewitt to get to Roger. with safin's recent final at halle, i would not discount safin on grass too much although mancic probably has the edge

DDrago2
06-16-2005, 04:08 PM
For Fed, he's making it to the Semis more than likely - only resistance I could foresee is Baghdatis

Please, do you happen to know some more jokes? I kind of liked this one...

NATAS81
06-16-2005, 04:21 PM
It is a likely possibility but I'd have to see the full draw.

It's not available in .pdf format.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-16-2005, 04:32 PM
What's up with Bagdatis? Do they let him out of his little cage in Cyprus just to play at slams?

NATAS81
06-16-2005, 04:34 PM
lolool Bagdathis taking Roger to 3 in Miami has the Fed fans RATTLED

Qaatar
06-16-2005, 06:46 PM
I won't be surprised if Safin takes Ancic out in 4 or even 3. Even though Safin has been inconsistent throughout this year, his showing against Ferrero in RG and his play in Halle has boosted his confidence.

LaTenista
06-16-2005, 07:13 PM
What's up with Bagdatis? Do they let him out of his little cage in Cyprus just to play at slams?

Looked him up on the ATP website. Seems the lad has played all of 3 matches on grass in his life and won 1 :p . States he's living in Paris - not a bad choice considering Cyprus is a battleground for the Greeks & Turks. But they did let him leave France long enough to win 2 challengers last year after the Open (one indoor hard, other carpet).

I don't believe he's played in Miami but last meeting with Fed was at AO, straight sets but then again it's not a completely valid comparison as grass is much faster and a lot has happened since January.

He's turning 20 tomorrow so all bets off ? :rolleyes: Only teenagers and Safin can beat him these days, right?

NYCtennisfan
06-16-2005, 07:33 PM
Only person really who can upset Fed's game is Ancic. As he did in 2002, it can be safely said Fed fears his game. On grass that is

2002 maight as well be a million years ago as far as Federer's career is concerned. I think Federer's only worry (in his mind) is Roddick because even though Federer owns him, Roddick is clearly the second best player on grass and played really good against him last year. Of course, anything can happen on any given day. Look at Becker and Edberg's rivalry. Becker absolutely owned him, fed h im bagels on super fast surfaces which is almost impossible to do, and yet lost 2 out of the 3 meetings at Wimbledon. On any given day....

PamV
06-16-2005, 08:29 PM
What is going on with Ancic? Last week Gasquet beat him in Stella Artois and they were saying it looked like Ancic still wasn't recovered from some injury. So is he really a threat at all? He just beat Arthurs today....which says something, but I am not sure how much it says.

Ancic would have to face Safin in the 4th round....wouldn't that be a toss up? Safin has a 1-0 H2H over Ancic but they have only played on hardcourt so far. The winner would probably face Hewitt in the QF. Hewitt fancies himself the 2nd best grass player in the world and he has won Wimby before. I think Hewitt would have a chance to beat Safin.....although Safin has won their last two meetings.

Overall I think Roddick is assured of having a cake walk in his SF. The only possible problems would be if he's off when he plays Karlovic in the 2nd round. However, he beat him so easily in Stella Artois that I can't see that happening. Could Henman possibly beat Roddick in a QF :confused:

Skyward
06-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Could Henman possibly beat Roddick in a QF :confused:

Can Henman reach a QF? That's the real question.

PamV
06-16-2005, 08:34 PM
I think Federer's only worry (in his mind) is Roddick because even though Federer owns him, Roddick is clearly the second best player on grass and played really good against him last year. Of course, anything can happen on any given day. ...

I think he has to take it one round at a time. Who's to say Pim Pim is going to be a forgone conclusion in the 4th round? Safin also could also be tough as a SF match up. Remeber their Halle final went to 3 sets, with Roger losing the 2nd set in a tie break.

Cervantes
06-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Ancic will lose to Hewitt, so there won't be another Federer-Ancic match at Wimbledon this year.

PamV
06-16-2005, 09:25 PM
lolool Bagdathis taking Roger to 3 in Miami has the Fed fans RATTLED

I think Bjorkman will beat Baghdatis in the 3rd round. It would have been interesting to see Baghdatis against Gasquet.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Baghdatis looks like Quasimodo.