Cash disputes Hewitt's demotion [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Cash disputes Hewitt's demotion

silverwhite
06-16-2005, 06:04 AM
Cash disputes Hewitt's demotion

Former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash has hit out at All England organisers for dropping Australian Lleyton Hewitt to number three seed in this year's event.
The 2002 Wimbledon champion is second in the world rankings, but organisers handed the number two seeding to world number four Andy Roddick.

"I think it's a real slap in the face," Cash told BBC Sport.

"It's not fair that they are changing it around - the guys work all year to get rankings to win the Grand Slams."

Second seed Roddick, who lost in last year's final to Roger Federer, cannot meet the Swiss top seed until the final of this year's tournament.

But Hewitt could meet the strong favourite in the semi-finals.

"Lleyton Hewitt is the number two player in the world," said Cash.

"He should have stayed number two. He is a Wimbledon champion. He is the 2005 Australian Open finalist.

"It has certainly given Roddick a boost that I don't think he deserves over Hewitt. The rankings are there for a reason. They are fair."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4097708.stm

JeLuliA88
06-16-2005, 06:07 AM
Well if Hewitt was really that good, it doesn't matter if he's the number 2 or 3 seed... this is just a pathetic excuse. if wimbledon takes past results into account, then there's no reason why roddick shouldn't be placed infront of hewitt, considering he made the finals last year.

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 06:08 AM
Shut up, random claycourter whiner.

Oh, wait...

World Beater
06-16-2005, 06:10 AM
if they kept hewitt at #2 that would be worse. They should stick to some kind of convention. If they started to change the calculation of their formula to benefit other players, that would be unfair.

However, after saying this i hope hewitt and roddick are drawn in the same half, so that #2 or #3 would be inconsequential

Scotso
06-16-2005, 06:10 AM
Well if Hewitt was really that good, it doesn't matter if he's the number 2 or 3 seed...

well if he loses to Federer, he would rather do it in the finals than the semifinals.

this is just a pathetic excuse. if wimbledon takes past results into account, then there's no reason why roddick shouldn't be placed infront of hewitt, considering he made the finals last year.

Yeah, Hewitt only won it.

Halba
06-16-2005, 06:11 AM
u idiot the only reason roddick made the finals last year was coz he didn't face Federer in the QF or Semis

Hewitt faced Federer in the QF

U really think Roddick has a bugger all chance is he was in Federer's half? He is getting ranking points from favourable seedings/draws which sucks

Fee
06-16-2005, 06:11 AM
Pat Cash :rolleyes:

This may be a valid argument, but can we get it from a more legitimate source?

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Hewitt won it three years ago, which makes his points total from that totally irrelevant. Since then Roddick has posted better results on grass. I'm with World Beater here. I think the seeding system is dumb shit in the first place, but if they are going to implement it I'd like it done consistently according to some sort of algorithm... as was done here.

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Pat Cash :rolleyes:

This may be a valid argument, but can we get it from a more legitimate source?
I agree.

Alex Corretja, where are you when we need you?

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 06:14 AM
u idiot the only reason roddick made the finals last year was coz he didn't face Federer in the QF or Semis

Hewitt faced Federer in the QF

U really think Roddick has a bugger all chance is he was in Federer's half? He is getting ranking points from favourable seedings/draws which sucks
No, he's getting ranking points from winning matches.

alexa18
06-16-2005, 06:27 AM
No, he's getting ranking points from winning matches.
:bs: :cuckoo: :rolleyes: :o He just got a piss easy draw :baby: :baby:

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 06:29 AM
:bs: :cuckoo: :rolleyes: :o He just got a piss easy draw :baby: :baby:
A piss easy draw is of no use if you don't win matches. It all comes back to winning matches. And me being right, of course. 13242 smilies isn't going to change that, sweetheart.

Kristen
06-16-2005, 06:30 AM
Does the world really care what Pat Cash thinks?
They should have also discussed Marks wildcard with him. I'm sure he'd have an interesting opinion. :retard: :tape:

oneandonlyhsn
06-16-2005, 06:30 AM
Well if there is a God Roddick and Hewitt will be in the same draw. That way all this nonsense wont matter.

bad gambler
06-16-2005, 06:33 AM
suprising this is coming from cashy, they guy hasn't been hewitt's no 1 fan in the past

alexa18
06-16-2005, 06:35 AM
A piss easy draw is of no use if you don't win matches. It all comes back to winning matches. And me being right, of course. 13242 smilies isn't going to change that, sweetheart.
It is of use the draw means everything. Let me ask you, who is no.2? Who is no.4? Who has won Wimbledon, who has not? You have no valid arguement here.

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 06:37 AM
Where was Pat Cash last year when Hewitt got promoted into the top 8? Too busy complaining about something else? :shrug:

bad gambler
06-16-2005, 06:38 AM
I personally don't have a problem with the seeding, wimby has been doing it for ages so no complaints

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 06:39 AM
It is of use the draw means everything. Let me ask you, who is no.2? Who is no.4? Who has won Wimbledon, who has not? You have no valid arguement here.
Sweetheart, I don't think that you even know what my argument is. If you did, you'd know that it was valid insofar as the Wimbledon seeding system is valid.

Any Hewitt fan (edit to add: or Roddick hater, or Wimbledon hater, etc.) who is outraged by this was hopefully equally outraged last year when he benefitted from the system.

ugotlobbed
06-16-2005, 06:42 AM
i think federer intimidates, dont you? mua hahah

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 06:44 AM
Some points of interest, just in case I'm not being clear enough.

The top ten rankings from June 21, 2004:

http://stevegtennis.com/rankings/2004/s062104.htm

1 Federer, Roger 5610
2 Roddick, Andy 4695
3 Coria, Guillermo 3740
4 Nalbandian, David 2625
5 Ferrero, Juan Carlos 2510
6 Henman, Tim 2505
7 Moya, Carlos 2460
8 Schuettler, Rainer 2265
9 Agassi, Andre 2055
10 Hewitt, Lleyton 1745

Lleyton's Wimbledon 2004 seed?

http://www.atptennis.com/en/tournaments/eventhistory/default2.asp?tournament=540&year=2004&singlesdoubles=Singles

In other words?

OWNED.

Hewitt HAS benefitted from being a past champion. However, as far as the seeding system go, the lease on the championships expired at the end of Wimbledon 2004. So now somebody with better results on grass over the last two years leaps ahead of him.

It's consistent. It's clear.

Shut up, Pat Cash.

alexa18
06-16-2005, 06:46 AM
Sorry Chloe I didn't mean to cause the arguement :hug: I just think this year Hewitt should've got the no.2 seeding and now I'm gonna shut up on the topic :tape:

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Sorry Chloe I didn't mean to cause the arguement :hug: I just think this year Hewitt should've got the no.2 seeding and now I'm gonna shut up on the topic :tape:
No need to shut up. Check your pms ;)

bad gambler
06-16-2005, 06:48 AM

The top ten rankings from July 21, 2004:

1 Federer, Roger 5610
2 Roddick, Andy 4695
3 Coria, Guillermo 3740
4 Nalbandian, David 2625
6 Henman, Tim 2505
7 Moya, Carlos 2460
9 Agassi, Andre 2055
10 Hewitt, Lleyton 1745

http://www.atptennis.com/en/tournaments/eventhistory/default2.asp?tournament=540&year=2004&singlesdoubles=Singles

In other words?

OWNED.

Hewitt HAS benefitted from being a past champion. However, as far as the seeding system go, the lease on the championships expired at the end of Wimbledon 2004. So now somebody with better results on grass over the last two years leaps ahead of him.

Shut up, Pat Cash.

The reason why this year has caused more interest is becuase the seedings have an affect on which of the two supposed challengers can stay away from federer.

But like I said, I don't have a problem with the demotion of Hewitt to no3, if he wants to win he has to beat Federer at some stage anyway.

silverwhite
06-16-2005, 06:52 AM
i think federer intimidates, dont you? mua hahah

:lol:

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 06:53 AM
The reason why this year has caused more interest is becuase the seedings have an affect on which of the two supposed challengers can stay away from federer.

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying - if Pat Cash has expressed consistent outrage at the seeding system, I've missed it. He expresses it only when it's inconvenient for the great Aussie hope... and even then, probably only then to get some press since it's a hot topic at the moment :p

IMO, if one is outraged at this year's seeding situation, they must be equally outraged that last year Hewitt was promoted into the top 8. Afterall, if not for that he could have played Roger in the 4th round last year (unless Wimbledon does the 1-4 vs 12-16 thing), and would have even fewer points counting towards his grass court ranking now.

But like I said, I don't have a problem with the demotion of Hewitt to no3, if he wants to win he has to beat Federer at some stage anyway.

Indeed.

I think the seeding system blows, btw. But it is clear and consistent - or at least has been the last couple of years.

Lee
06-16-2005, 06:53 AM
May be everyone should shut up on seeding of Wimbledon :p

Let's talk Hockey ;) :cool:

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Isn't Hockey expired? :p

bad gambler
06-16-2005, 06:55 AM
Let's talk Hockey ;) :cool:

so we wait indefinitely then? :silly:

Lee
06-16-2005, 06:57 AM
Isn't Hockey expired? :p

There's evaluation camp by NY Islander :)

Lee
06-16-2005, 06:58 AM
so we wait indefinitely then? :silly:

No, there's junior hockey, peewee hockey, amateur hockey,.... Just pick one ;)

World Beater
06-16-2005, 07:00 AM
pat cash did it for me when he said federer had bad technique..lol

another funny incident is when mark threatened pat cash over the phone for slandering him in the press.

gsm
06-16-2005, 07:00 AM
why dont the morons seed "bean pole" (ivo) ahead of lleyton?

hewitts ranking is of no importance in this debate , injury can explain his 12 month ranking.

and seeing as though lleyton generaly wipes the court with andy , i dont see how they can justify andy being seeded above lleyton.

it was a huge call to make by the wimbledon officials , and i dont think they had enough compelling reasons to be guided by.

anyway bring on wimby , cant wait!!!

BTW , IMO it's going to be interesting to see how the williams sisters go next week.

bad gambler
06-16-2005, 07:05 AM
lol, lets just settle this and have roddick and hewitt face off in the semi finals :p

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 07:11 AM
pat cash did it for me when he said federer had bad technique..lol

another funny incident is when mark threatened pat cash over the phone for slandering him in the press.

The funniest part about that incident was that Pat responded by going to the press!

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 07:11 AM
it was a huge call to make by the wimbledon officials , and i dont think they had enough compelling reasons to be guided by.

They dont need "compelling reasons". They have an algorithm!

Sigh.

gsm
06-16-2005, 07:42 AM
but if they are going to implement it I'd like it done consistently according to some sort of algorithm... as was done here.

oh , i thought they just put their heads together and nutted out who they presumed should be seeded where.

my bad. :o

bring on wimby!!!

cmon lleyton!

Chloe le Bopper
06-16-2005, 07:43 AM
No, but that is what they used to do!

deliveryman
06-16-2005, 07:45 AM
roger is gonna make lleyton eat a couple bagels in the semis rather than the finals... what's the difference :P

iliketennis
06-16-2005, 09:21 AM

The top ten rankings from June 21, 2004:

1 Federer, Roger 5610
2 Roddick, Andy 4695
3 Coria, Guillermo 3740
4 Nalbandian, David 2625
6 Henman, Tim 2505
7 Moya, Carlos 2460
9 Agassi, Andre 2055
10 Hewitt, Lleyton 1745

In other words?

OWNED.

Shut up, Pat Cash.

How is being in the same section as Federer beneficial :confused:

Halba
06-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Has one the last 3 meetings as well as beating Roddick at the AUs. open in only 4 sets. Lleyton has clearly owned Roddick.

Roddick though has power, has no complete tennis game. Hopefully they'll face each other in Semis, and we'll see Lleyton trump him.

Lleyton has also won all of their grand slam meetings (Aus Open, US Open, Roland Garros)

Watch him add Wimby to the pile!

Kristen
06-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Someone help me out here....
If you're not a complete 'troll', but not far from it... what would you be!? :scratch: :rolleyes:
Yes. Lleyton is wonderful :worship::tape:

edit: Nevermind, I will just go with the title of troll ;) :retard:

Arcadion
06-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Roddick has only lost to Federer on grass in the last 3 years! He beat Hewitt at Queens last year. Hewitt lost to Karlovic. Roddick beat Karlovic. And with only 50 points seperating 4 & 2 he clearly deserves to be seeded 2 based on his grass performance in the last few years. Deal with it.

Auscon
06-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Nice to see Cashy get behind Lleyton

hopefully Lleyton will end up on Andy's side, but if he doesnt, it doesnt matter, he'll just have to go through Roger and then most likely take out Andy in the final

Auscon
06-16-2005, 10:33 AM
Hewitt lost to Karlovic. Roddick beat Karlovic.

but you're missing the big picture here...

Lleyton couldve beaten Ivo......and gotten to the final, and then defeat Andy, but he chose not to.

Lleytons a very happy guy these days....he's engaged again and got a kid on the way. For him to be successful at a slam he needs to be driven by something, something to fuel his rage. At the AO this year, he made it about the surface. This time, he's going to fight against the seeding he was given....that'll give him the spark he needs.

If he won Queens, he would've been seeded number 2, and the thought of having to find something else to get himself angry about other than being dropped to 3rd seed, was just too much to have to worry about this close to the start of the tournament.

alexito
06-16-2005, 10:36 AM
is not fear, hewitt is number 2, and champion wimbledon.

Pea
06-16-2005, 12:01 PM
I agree.

Alex Corretja, where are you when we need you?

With his family.:angel:

Billy Moonshine
06-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Cash, i can't stand him.
Roddick deserves 2 seed. 3 times Queens champ, last years RU.
Hewitt won it in 2002 but thats 3 years ago now and its recent grasscourt form that matters.

Pea
06-16-2005, 12:14 PM
If 2002 is too old to consider when these rankings are done, how in the world is Henman seeded 6th?

uNIVERSE mAN
06-16-2005, 12:40 PM
6th seed has done Henman no favours. He's got a tough draw.

max122
06-16-2005, 12:55 PM
yup tough luck for him.. he rules on that court though

EssentialBeauty
06-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Hewitt fans should be thankful that he hasn't been seeded #2. Look at Roddick's draw - he's likely to face Karlovic in the second round! I'm sure Lleyton would rather face possible defeat at the hands of Federer in the semi than losing to Karlovic (again) in the 2nd round.

FanOfHewitt
06-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Hewitt fans should be thankful that he hasn't been seeded #2. Look at Roddick's draw - he's likely to face Karlovic in the second round! I'm sure Lleyton would rather face possible defeat at the hands of Federer in the semi than losing to Karlovic (again) in the 2nd round.

Good point, and with his limited preparation I think he'll do well to even make it to the semi's!

I'm just hoping he gets some matches in and is battle hardened by the time the Davis Cup comes along.

gsm
06-16-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm just hoping he gets some matches in and is battle hardened by the time the Davis Cup comes along.

:yeah: