For all the "one slam wonders" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

For all the "one slam wonders"

BAMJ6
06-16-2005, 04:18 AM
That term is not really fair to players such as Michael Stich, Michael Chang, and Andy Roddick. Yes TECHNICALLY, they've only won 1 slam, but these players never fell off the face of the Earth as they returned to Grand Slam Finals on different surface from where they won their only one. (Stich in 94, Chang in 96, JCF in 2003 US Opens: Roddick in last Wimbledon)

So i personally put them in the Slam Purgatory, they're better than the Moya's, Kraijcek's, and Costa's of the world, but as far as others are concerned, the "one slam stigma" will never die in their minds. Marat Safin got off the Slam Purgatory after the OZ win in January.

I don't care what anyone thinks, but Gaudio won't get off the one slam wonder until he makes a Grand Slam final that's not in Roland Garros

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 04:29 AM
IMO it's not quite fair to put players who are right in the middle of their careers like Andy and Gaton in the same class as people who are completely retired like Stich and Chang. No way to know what they'll do. By this reasoning, Rafa is also a 1-slam wonder? and Pete was a 1-slam wonder for a couple years?

Oh, ok.

Daniel
06-16-2005, 04:36 AM
Gaston will win RG next year, because he is the best hope for Argentina .

El Legenda
06-16-2005, 04:37 AM
Andy has had 6 chances after USO...ill give him 2 more..before i say he's a one slam wonder.

World Beater
06-16-2005, 05:19 AM
moya did reach #1 before. krajicek has reached wimby semi's and rg semis in addition to his wimby win.

costa and johansson could be classified as one slam wonders. not the others.

Despite what gaudio does in the future, his talent on clay cannot be denied. He is a very deserving winner.

megadeth
06-16-2005, 05:27 AM
another question: should one slam wonders even be considered as hall of famees?

World Beater
06-16-2005, 05:28 AM
yannick noah made it...so...why not the others?

megadeth
06-16-2005, 05:32 AM
i believe there should be a clear criteria. bec if one slam wonders get in, then that's kinda like lowering the bar for all hall of famer hopefulls...

nkhera1
06-16-2005, 05:33 AM

Depends on their other accomplishments.

iliketennis
06-16-2005, 08:03 AM
i believe there should be a clear criteria. bec if one slam wonders get in, then that's kinda like lowering the bar for all hall of famer hopefulls...

Megadeth never stops until he wins an arguement :rolleyes:

NATAS81
06-16-2005, 08:05 AM
That term is not really fair to players such as Michael Stich, Michael Chang, and Andy Roddick. Yes TECHNICALLY, they've only won 1 slam, but these players never fell off the face of the Earth as they returned to Grand Slam Finals on different surface from where they won their only one. (Stich in 94, Chang in 96, JCF in 2003 US Opens: Roddick in last Wimbledon)

So i personally put them in the Slam Purgatory, they're better than the Moya's, Kraijcek's, and Costa's of the world, but as far as others are concerned, the "one slam stigma" will never die in their minds. Marat Safin got off the Slam Purgatory after the OZ win in January.

I don't care what anyone thinks, but Gaudio won't get off the one slam wonder until he makes a Grand Slam final that's not in Roland Garros
Are you saying Gaudio is expected to reach a slam final other than RG?

Halba
06-16-2005, 09:34 AM
unless Fed or Saf or Hewitt have heart attacks then Roddick is a one-slam wonder also

he doesn't have the game to challenge these top 3 players (on HC)

Action Jackson
06-16-2005, 09:56 AM

Who cares, it's not that important?

Billy Moonshine
06-16-2005, 10:51 AM
There's no stigma to winning one grand slam, at least not to the winners. They wil always cherish that memory.
It's an incredible achievement and all of them deserve it.

BAMJ6
06-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Are you saying Gaudio is expected to reach a slam final other than RG?

Hey, he's young enough, and if JCF can do it, why can't he. I think his other final will probably be in Australia

BAMJ6
06-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Andy has had 6 chances after USO...ill give him 2 more..before i say he's a one slam wonder.

Actually 4 chances, For all intents and purposes, he'll never be a serious threat in Roland Garros let alone win it.

Raquel
06-16-2005, 05:54 PM

Moya made the final of the 1997 Australian Open.

Auscon
06-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Hey, he's young enough, and if JCF can do it, why can't he. I think his other final will probably be in Australia

Because JCF is a much better player off the clay than Gaudio is. I really doubt we'll see Gaudio at a QF let alone the Final of AO, Wimby and USO. I'd love to see him get to the QF stage, but just can't see him doing it.

NATAS81
06-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Actually 4 chances, For all intents and purposes, he'll never be a serious threat in Roland Garros let alone win it.
He has a good game on clay as denoted by Patrick McEnroe.

I can't see him being held off of semis status forever with his serve.

He can shorten up his forehand and improve in other areas as his career progresses allowing for better results.

But, Roddick isn't exactly the favorite to win RG anytime soon.

rofe
06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
unless Fed or Saf or Hewitt have heart attacks then Roddick is a one-slam wonder also

he doesn't have the game to challenge these top 3 players (on HC)

There is another very important factor that could prevent the other three from winning any titles - motivation.

Fed could say, chuck it, I am going to do full time social work in South Africa. Hewitt could say chuck it, I am going to become a full time father and husband. Safin could say chuck it, I am better off by joining the Russian Mafia. ;)

So, I think Roddick, at just 22, has a very good chance to atleast win another slam.

NATAS81
06-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Moya made the final of the 1997 Australian Open.
Preach baby boy! :worship:

NATAS81
06-16-2005, 06:42 PM
So, I think Roddick, at just 22, has a very good chance to atleast win another slam.
This is what I'm looking for.

Passion about young players.

Roddick has the serve, he will build his game around that.

The kid has slams in his sight and tremendous determination.

Don't count him out of any slam title!

mitalidas
06-16-2005, 07:02 PM
There is another very important factor that could prevent the other three from winning any titles - motivation.

All top 5 players have good chances to win another slam
But you are clearly in a minority if you think that Federer and hewitt are lacking in some motivation that andy somehow has abundance of
Roger is ambitious. He may not display it in loud histrionics on the court like certain others but he knows the opportunity he has to go down as one of the best ever

I leave Safin out of the "motivation" discussion, but even with/without it, he is not in the pool of the 1-slam-wonders, like Roger and Hewitt

rofe
06-16-2005, 07:23 PM
All top 5 players have good chances to win another slam
But you are clearly in a minority if you think that Federer and hewitt are lacking in some motivation that andy somehow has abundance of
Roger is ambitious. He may not display it in loud histrionics on the court like certain others but he knows the opportunity he has to go down as one of the best ever

I think you missed the wink emoticon in my post.

mitalidas
06-16-2005, 07:24 PM
I think you missed the wink emoticon in my post.

i was actually motivated by the person who responded to your post... who seemed to take it seriously

(dont worry, didnt take mafia, fatherly duties and swiss cows too seriously)