My opinion on the calendar [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

My opinion on the calendar

revolution
06-15-2005, 09:36 PM
I would actually do the calendar this way.

January- Australian hardcourt season

Feb-March- Two American HC events, followed by IW/Miami

March-Early May- Clay court season. The South American tourneys played in February would be used as warm ups. I would also take one TMS out, and the clay events played after Wimbledon could be moved here as French Open warm ups.

Middle of May-July- Grass court season. I would have six weeks as there simply isn't enough time to prepare for the big W. I would move Newport forward for the first week of the grass season, and throw a TMS in for good measure.

July-August- US hardcourt swing.

September-October- Indoor carpet season/Asian season

November: Tennis Masters Cup

Anyone like it? :D

LaTenista
06-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Sounds interesting except there seems to be a lot of clay tournaments (24?) so I'd imagine more than just 1 TMS would need to go to fit in the timespan you've suggested.

On one of the other theads someone thinks Hamburg and Madrid are going to switch (Madrid to clay, Hamburg indoor hard) in the near future.

What about Davis Cup? Currently they schedule tournaments around the weeks they play 1st round, QFs and SFs with the finals typically being held a week or two after TMC in late November or early December.

Which leads to a) are there too many tournaments and/or is the season too long? and b) should the Davis Cup be reorganized into perhaps a 1 or 2 week long event instead of the 4 three day events spread out throughout the season?

Neely
06-15-2005, 11:14 PM
My general opinions on the calendar:

IMO the South American clay season is not good enough yet. There should be a bit more action on this continent which produces so many players, and it shouldn't be only considered as a "warm-up" which interfere at the same time with some of the European/US indoor season event, I would even try to give them a clay TMS. Maybe a solution would be to play the South American events RIGHT before heading to the European claycourt season and not before Indian Wells and Miami.

Scratch some hardcourt, clay and indoor season for a longer grass season. A TMS would be good on this unbelievably special surface and maybe three additional weeks to the current status. I also would like to see some grass action in Australia (but that practically pretty unconvertible)

Forget grass events AFTER Wimbledon and also scratch some of these claycourt tournaments in September or way after Roland Garros and play them earlier instead.

-----------------