MTF Boycott [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

MTF Boycott

SanTaureau Fan
06-15-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't mind ads, but this is just too much. :eek:

I understand this board costs money, but currently it's a lack of respect for members. I suggest a boycott until those annoying ads are removed. :devil:

And I certainly not gonna pay 4$ a month to post on a messageboard. Let's get real. :)

croat123
06-15-2005, 05:04 PM
i didn't even notice them until you mentioned it :o

uNIVERSE mAN
06-15-2005, 05:04 PM
zip it! it's the best men's test forum on the net.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-15-2005, 05:05 PM
test = tennis*

Lee
06-15-2005, 05:05 PM
I managed to ignore that column so far. :p

Another solution, buy a bigger TV monitor :devil:

SanTaureau Fan
06-15-2005, 05:06 PM
i didn't even notice them until you mentioned it :o

Maybe it's because we don't have the same kind of monitor, but for me it's annoying. :)

If people don't say anything, the Internet will because a huge pile of ads.

I'm *not* totally against it, but when it stays within reasonnable limits.

mitalidas
06-15-2005, 05:10 PM
i have a 19" monitor and it shows up and annoys me
but if its the price for being free, i'll deal with it

just like i dont pay for "Wimbledon plus" videos....

MisterQ
06-15-2005, 05:15 PM
It's like Times Square in here!

SanTaureau Fan
06-15-2005, 05:16 PM
There's already an ad at the top, one below "post reply" and one at the bottom... That's 3, it's reasonnable to me.

But one million flashy ads at the right?! That's just too much. It's just a question of principle, I don't want Internet to become a giant ad. I already pay for an Internet connection, I'm not going to pay for each website I visit.

SanTaureau Fan
06-15-2005, 05:17 PM
It's like Times Square in here!

Yeah, exactly, like I said, I don't mind a couple of ads, but now this is just too much.

Neely
06-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Sure can ads and banners be annoying, but as long as the forum is still free I will take that. Also I guess the enormous growth of MTF made it absolutely necessary for the owners. Just right now about 450 people are online, on a day where nothing "special" happened, no Federer was beaten, no Nadal won the French Open, nothing like that; otherwise it would be even higher. Formerly, it was like 150 or 200 people online. Since coming home, I'm browing MTF for something like 20 minutes, reading the usual threads, looked up a few scoring threads, nothing outstanding. But just doing so in 20 minutes I produced a traffic of 16 MBs which came almost only by MTF. Now let's just assume every user has an average of 10 MBs per hour, multiplicate this by the average of users online and calculate the traffic per day, per month. The result could be likely a figure in the terra byte region and such server traffic is expensive of course :shrug:

Auscon
06-15-2005, 05:26 PM
I just put brown tape down the right side of my monitor

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 05:27 PM
I have a 12 in laptop, it practically takes up my whole screen :rolleyes: :o

Lee
06-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Most of the regular pop-up and ads are blocked by the Norton Shield I have but not the new column. That's why it's not 'that' annoying to me.

SanTaureau Fan
06-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Sure can ads and banners be annoying, but as long as the forum is still free I will take that. Also I guess the enormous growth of MTF made it absolutely necessary for the owners. Just right now about 450 people are online, on a day where nothing "special" happened, no Federer was beaten, no Nadal won the French Open, nothing like that; otherwise it would be even higher. Formerly, it was like 150 or 200 people online. Since coming home, I'm browing MTF for something like 20 minutes, reading the usual threads, looked up a few scoring threads, nothing outstanding. But just doing so in 20 minutes I produced a traffic of 16 MBs which came almost only by MTF. Now let's just assume every user has an average of 10 MBs per hour, multiplicate this by the average of users online and calculate the traffic per day, per month. The result could be likely a figure in the terra byte region and such server traffic is expensive of course :shrug:

Neely, those adds are more than annoying, this is just too much. I fully understand that it must be expensive to have a website like this one, but there has to be another solution than one million flashy adds.

I'm not going to argue, I will boycott, and I suggest people to do like me. Mabe it won't make a difference, but really for me it's a question of principle more than anything else.

gravity
06-15-2005, 05:38 PM
I don't mind ads, but this is just too much. :eek:

I understand this board costs money, but currently it's a lack of respect for members. I suggest a boycott until those annoying ads are removed. :devil:

And I certainly not gonna pay 4$ a month to post on a messageboard. Let's get real. :)

If you take the current special loyalty offer you can buy a whole year of ad-free browsing for about $1.65 a month. If you only spend an hour on week on here, $1.65 a month isn't a huge price to pay for something you enjoy. :D

tall_one
06-15-2005, 05:38 PM
well if you can't stand it you can always buy the premium services and get rid of it :p

Not sure if it annoys me enough to pay $30/year

gravity
06-15-2005, 05:44 PM
well if you can't stand it you can always buy the premium services and get rid of it :p

Not sure if it annoys me enough to pay $30/year

It's $20 for existing members with the special discount offer:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/subscriptions.php?

MrOschie
06-15-2005, 05:45 PM
lol is all i can say about that =)

zethand
06-15-2005, 05:48 PM
I dont think someone will pay to remove the banners.. it´s easier get along with them than pay... :)

gsm
06-15-2005, 05:50 PM
I'm not going to argue, I will boycott
:rolleyes:

bye bye!

gravity
06-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Neely, those adds are more than annoying, this is just too much. I fully understand that it must be expensive to have a website like this one, but there has to be another solution than one million flashy adds.

Care to venture a suggestion as to how costs can be covered with a) virtually no advertising and b) nobody paying a subscription fee? :p

The biggest problem is the site is growingly rapidly but revenues are falling. Why? Because so many people are now blocking the regular banners by default settings in their software - often by accident.

zethand
06-15-2005, 05:51 PM
I can boycott it.. what should I do?

Auscon
06-15-2005, 05:52 PM
you'll have a tough time getting people to boycott around grandslam time :)

SanTaureau Fan
06-15-2005, 05:52 PM
:rolleyes:

bye bye!

Bye.

But seriously in one month I will be back and I can tell for sure the stupid ads will be gone. Treating people who don't pay a subscription like shit never work. :)

zethand
06-15-2005, 05:53 PM
I like to be Subversive :D

gravity
06-15-2005, 05:54 PM
I dont think someone will pay to remove the banners.. it´s easier get along with them than pay... :)

That's the whole idea behind offering you the choice.

If you hate the advertising sooooooo much, you can pay a small fee to remove all ads and not have your browsing subsidised by commercial advertisers.

If you cannot afford to pay, or can live with the ads, then the option remains to pay nothing and continue enjoying the site free of charge.

Seems like a fair choice to me.

SanTaureau Fan
06-15-2005, 05:55 PM
Care to venture a suggestion as to how costs can be covered with a) virtually no advertising and b) nobody paying a subscription fee? :p

The biggest problem is the site is growingly rapidly but revenues are falling. Why? Because so many people are now blocking the regular banners by default settings in their software - often by accident.

When did I say I'm against people paying a subscription :confused: And when did I say I'm against advertising :confused:

tangerine_dream
06-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Sounds like MTF is getting desperate for revenue with all these ads nowadays. I can handle the flashy ads on the right but it's the audio ads that really drive me nuts.

My suggestion to users: Shoot the Duck!
http://tinypic.com/5oxdv7

gravity
06-15-2005, 06:00 PM
When did I say I'm against people paying a subscription :confused: And when did I say I'm against advertising :confused:

You said you didn't want anymore ads on the site and would not pay a fee to go ad-free. My question remains if everyone takes the same attitude, how are we going to cover rising costs/numbers and falling revenues?

I was really interested in hearing an alternative suggestion. Because if you have a good idea, we can look into implementing it.

Boycotting is also an excellent cost-saving measure. It saves money. :p

SanTaureau Fan
06-15-2005, 06:04 PM
You said you didn't want anymore ads on the site and would not pay a fee to go ad-free. My question remains if everyone takes the same attitude, how are we going to cover rising costs/numbers and falling revenues?

I was really interested in hearing an alternative suggestion. Because if you have a good idea, we can look into implementing it.

Boycotting is also an excellent cost-saving measure. It saves money. :p

I said I don't mind ads as long as it isn't more than 2 or 3.

Offering subscription is a good idea. Just because I wouldn't pay doesn't mean other members wouldn't.

From now, the boycott will start. :devil:

Deco
06-15-2005, 06:13 PM
hahahaha this conversation is really funny to read:haha:

well somewhere I agree with SanTaureau Fan; I can;t stand those ads either. Maybe I can make them dissapear but I'm not technical enough for knowing how to do that, so I have to live with it. But indeed, this is way too much!

ST F, maybe I'll boycot too

Deco
06-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Bye everyone! see you in a few weeks :wavey: