Most Memorable Wimbledon Match Ever! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Most Memorable Wimbledon Match Ever!

shanks
06-14-2005, 11:43 PM
BBC SPORT
Q&A: John McEnroe on Wimbledon

What is the most memorable match you have ever watched as a spectator?
Heidi, England

The most memorable match for me was watching the Ivanisevic v Rafter match at Wimbledon.

The way the crowd was, and the circumstances surrounding it - Henman had been so close, and there was the question about how the crowd was going to react after that, Ivanisevic hadn't won one, and Rafter hadn't won Wimbledon and was realising that it was his last chance at a big major.

People in Australia have always loved tennis and then you combine that with the fanaticisms of a new country like Croatia and all that combined with the fact that it was played on a day that it wasn't supposed to be played - it brought a different energy to the occasion because people who wouldn't normally be watching at Wimbledon were there.

The energy levels that day were higher than any other that I'd ever been a part of.

It had atmosphere like they have in soccer games in England - I see that and wish we had that more in tennis. I was proud to just be part of that match, to watch and commentate on it.

I agree with him totally. I remember watching that match with my friends. I had goose-bumps just watching it on TV. I didnt even like those players :)
I was wondering how it would've been like ACTUALLY on Centre Court!
The atmosphere seemed ELECTRIFYING! It was People's Monday that day.
Two players, Rafter and Ivanisevic, were very very popular at that time.
Crowd was incredible. As JMac says, seemed like a soccer match between Australia & Croatia :) . They were cheering for every single point. The spectators were equally divided between Pat and Goran. Neither of them had won a Wimbledon till then. (Rafter never did eventually). Wanted Rafter to win but Goran deserved it. One hell of a match! It is definitely the most memorable match that I've EVER seen at Wimbledon LIVE on TV.

What are the unforgettable matches for u guys?

PaulieM
06-15-2005, 12:35 AM
the ivanisevic vs. rafter wimby final is my favorite. i love goran and i was so increadibly happy to see him win and the crowd was crazy, it was just great. :)

Haute
06-15-2005, 12:42 AM
It's a toss-up for me between Goran vs. Pat, and Pete vs. Pat

I wanted Pat to win on both occassions. :sad:

buddyholly
06-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Goran v Pat was the most memorable for me because I missed it. I promised to be at a business lunch in Toronto the Monday after Wimbledon, so that I would not have to miss a single day of week two.
I remember sitting at the table getting mad at the poor service in the restaurant while listening to the whoops and cheers coming from the kitchen.

From what I actually saw, Borg v JMac with the tie-break is hard to top.

Auscon
06-15-2005, 03:09 AM
yep, it's definitely the most memorable for myself aswell

even back in 2001 when I didnt really follow the tour at all, I was on the edge of my seat more than any other sporting match I'd seen in the past....final result wouldve been much more devastating if Pat had to lose to someone other than Goran

MisterQ
06-15-2005, 03:13 AM
That's probably the most emotional win I have seen. In terms of tennis, it wasn't my absolute favorite match, but the energy of that Monday crowd and the closeness of the match created incredible tension!

Strangely enough, Ivanisevic's first wimbledon final, the one where Agassi finally won a major after 3 failed attempts, is another favorite moment of mine. :cool:

missbungle
06-15-2005, 03:31 AM
This is my favourite match as well. I was so completely heartbroken when Pat lost :sad: :sad:

Clara Bow
06-15-2005, 03:39 AM
Of course I would have to agree with the Goran/Pat 2001 final. I took work off that day and was so torn because I wanted them both to win so much. I was bawling at the end. The next day a co-worker who was a good friend of mine surpirsed me by putting a posterboard with articles and pictures of Goran on my office door saying "Congrats Goran!"

The first tennis match I remember ever seeing was the Borg/McEnroe 1980 final when I was 2 years old. It is around my fifth actual memory (along with falling down the stairs, asking to be taken out of the crib to go to the bathroom, being on the lake shore at Benton Harbor, and hiding in a pillow fort my siblings made). So I guess I was meant to be a tennis fan. :)

I remember the Becker/Kevin Curren final in 1985 because I was so excited about Becker. I know it was not necessarily the best match but it was very memorable to me. I loved his red hair, the fact that he looked like my oldest brother's friends, and how excited he was on court and tried to watch whatever match of his I could. I just remember all of this excitement about him. When he won I kept running around the coffee table going woo-hoo and punching my fists in the air. My mom says that I did that for around 5 minutes- and we even have a picture of it. That summer was about swim team practice, annoying my friends because I wouldn't play but stay home to watch Wimbledon on HBO, and the North and South miniseries. Oh, to have such a carefree seven-year-old summer again.

Mimi
06-15-2005, 03:56 AM
the same as you, wimby 01, men's final, i could never forget this, the poor goran finally won on his fourth final , i ran around my little house and shouted in joy for goran :p :)

robinhood
06-15-2005, 04:12 AM
I guess I should watch this match everyone is talking about.

bad gambler
06-15-2005, 05:49 AM
by far the 2001 final

pat was so close, had goran 0-30 in the 5th set, 8-7 up i think from memory :sad: :sad:

Auscon
06-15-2005, 05:57 AM
Thanks to the rain delays during last years Wimbledon coverage, they replayed the highlights from each set and then showed the final set in its entirity

Was the first time I'd seen any of the match since I saw it live, and for once I was damn glad it was raining :)

Chloe le Bopper
06-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Goran-Pat is still the only match that I will NOT tape over (well, aside from Rafa's RG final and JCF's, although I will never watch JCF's again so I may as well kill it). And neither was my favourite player, although I did love to watch Pat.

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-15-2005, 07:10 AM
Ivanisevic - Rafter
Rogi - Sampras... i was so in love with Roger then, and his excitement was so beautiful, but i was so sad for sampras
also, Agassi-Sampras, 99, because it was the first tennis final i ever watched

Björki
06-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Goran vs Pat for me too.

Neely
06-15-2005, 07:21 AM
For me the most memorable Wimbledon match that I saw was the 1992 men's doubles final when Michael Stich/John McEnroe def. Grabb/Reneberg 5-7 7-6(5) 3-6 7-6(5) 19-17.

A five hour and one minute fight that had to be suspended because of darkness and continued the next day on Monday. It also was the longest men's doubles final in Wimbledon history so far (and probably still is).

Incredible that Stich and McEnroe won it, Stich is my alltime favourite player from the past and after his singles title in Wimbledon he won the doubles the next year :banana:

MariaV
06-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Goran vs Pat. Definitely the most memorable Wimbledon match for me. I could feel the incredible atmosphere throught TV even in Estonia in my parent's house where I was watching it. Good I has holidays then. :D It was the one match where I would have been happy for whoever won. And Goran finally getting the tile meant so much for him and the whole Croatia. :D
I don't remember much from the 1980 Borg vs JMac final besides that we wached it together with my dad and it was really dramatic too, I was sad that Borg lost. Wimbledon was the only tourny I could see on TV here back then.

World Beater
06-15-2005, 07:50 AM
did u side with stich, during the boris/stich feud in davis cup, neely?

Mrs. B
06-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Goran's win (finally!) was very memorable, indeed, although i did feel sorry for Pat. But who wouldn't feel joy for Goran?

when Roger won it for the first time in 2003, that was really special. i cried too. :o

Neely
06-15-2005, 08:17 AM
did u side with stich, during the boris/stich feud in davis cup, neely?
No, Stich also made stupid decisions and didn't have the goods to lead the Davis Cup team as a team captain later. I wished they had gotten along better. But at least they were professionals enough on the court to find together and maximise most of the times their combined ability to win Davis Cup, World Team Cup and an Olympic Doubles for Germany. But I found most of their talk and teasing to each other really stupid back then :o

oz_boz
06-15-2005, 09:43 AM
I don't remember much from the 1980 Borg vs JMac final besides that we wached it together with my dad and it was really dramatic too, I was sad that Borg lost.

You probably mean the final of 1981. Borg won the incredible -80 final that I only have vague memories of. The most exciting Wimby I've watched was the 1990 final when Edberg beat Becker in their third Wimby final in a row. Edberg had won the first, then Becker crushed him in -89 and I didn't think Stefan had any chance. He started by winning the first two sets, but lost the two next and Becker had the edge. But Edberg's comeback was great, and he managed to pull out his last real win over his nemesis.

MariaV
06-15-2005, 11:05 AM
You probably mean the final of 1981. Borg won the incredible -80 final that I only have vague memories of.
Oh yeah, sure, sorry. :o I wasn't too interested in watching tennis then. So vague memories for me too.

tennyfan
06-15-2005, 11:11 AM
I have to agree with Mac here. This was the most exciting Wimbledon I remember seeing. I really wanted Rafter to win, but it was difficult not to be happy for Goran.

tennisace
06-15-2005, 11:22 AM
I watched the first four sets and then had to turn it off. When I found out Pat lost, I was completely gutted. I've still never been able to watch the fifth set. And I liked Goran, had barracked for him the entire tourney up till then. My only consolation is that if Goran had lost, he probably would have blown his brains out, and I liked him too much for that.

mitalidas
06-15-2005, 01:06 PM
pat was so close, had goran 0-30 in the 5th set, 8-7 up i think from memory :sad: :sad:

couldn't be
goran won 9-7 in the fifth so pat could not have got to 8 games

mangoes
06-15-2005, 01:22 PM
I liked a Rafter/Agassi semifinal match a couple years ago, can't remember the year. And most recent match, the Federer/Roddick final.

The Goran/Rafter match was a really good match.

Amy1234
06-15-2005, 01:34 PM
I agree with the roddick/Federer final was so good n if it hadn;t been for the rain delays then it may have been a very different story.......lets hope it is this year i.e Roddick to win!! Also the Goran/Pat Rafter game was nailbitting and one of the best!

The Andy Roddick US Open win was also a good one just to see the happiness on his face!!

mitalidas
06-15-2005, 01:38 PM
pete's last win 2000
Goran's first/last win 2001
and Roger's first win 2003
all extremely memorable

MisterQ
06-15-2005, 02:08 PM
couldn't be
goran won 9-7 in the fifth so pat could not have got to 8 games

bad gambler is almost right -- it was 0-30, 6-7

mitalidas
06-15-2005, 03:40 PM

that's right
its not so much about the actual score but the fact that 0-30 8-7 would make him two points away from the Title and he never got that close

MisterQ
06-15-2005, 03:53 PM
that's right
its not so much about the actual score but the fact that 0-30 8-7 would make him two points away from the Title and he never got that close

but Rafter was two points from the title when Goran got down 0-30, serving at 6-7. :)

mitalidas
06-15-2005, 04:23 PM
but Rafter was two points from the title when Goran got down 0-30, serving at 6-7. :)

no right , i meant so close on his serve. ie rafter never came so close on serving it out

mitalidas
06-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Ivanisevic - Rafter
Rogi - Sampras... i was so in love with Roger then, and his excitement was so beautiful, but i was so sad for sampras
also, Agassi-Sampras, 99, because it was the first tennis final i ever watched
Then relive the memory!!!!

http://helix-4.sri.ch/ramgen/sfdrs/vod/sport/450k/050521_FedSamp2003.rm

I too was sad to see Pete go.... but he went to a fitting heir

World Beater
06-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Then relive the memory!!!!

http://helix-4.sri.ch/ramgen/sfdrs/vod/sport/450k/050521_FedSamp2003.rm

I too was sad to see Pete go.... but he went to a fitting heir

Weird, that didnt show the other bp rogi saved in the 5th set. And also the bh return winner when roger was leading 6-5 in the 5th.

mitalidas
06-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Weird, that didnt show the other bp rogi saved in the 5th set.
they do show it
look at the scores before the 5-all game. its 4-all, Roger serving, Ad to Sampras which Roger saves
right after that they show a 5-all 15-love point
then they show the 15-30 point at 6-5, which becomes 15-40.then they show the last point

World Beater
06-15-2005, 05:08 PM
they do show it
look at the scores before the 5-all game. its 4-all, Roger serving, Ad to Sampras which Roger saves
right after that they show a 5-all 15-love point
then they show the 15-30 point at 6-5, which becomes 15-40.then they show the last point

im not talking abt the dtl fh that sampras nets...there was one before that where roger makes a reflex bh volley on a bp for sampras.

right...the pt before 15-30, rogi hits a bh return winner. then it becomes 15-30...they dont show this..

of course..there could be something wrong with my player if they do indeed show it.

croat123
06-15-2005, 05:30 PM
goran vs. pat :bounce:

i was on an island with no tv reception and one of my friends found it on some foreign sattelite channel. so there were about 30 of us in a small room watching it on a 12" screen. that final was just amazing. two great players with one of the best crowds ever and a lot of drama. around 80% of the people in croatia watched it live and everyone just went crazy after goran won it!

croat123
06-15-2005, 05:32 PM
it was 6-7 0-30 and three second serves in a row. my heart was about to burst

mitalidas
06-15-2005, 05:38 PM
right...the pt before 15-30, rogi hits a bh return winner. then it becomes 15-30...they dont show this..

of course..there could be something wrong with my player if they do indeed show it.

they dont show it

too many great points in the one match to show them all
this is the Passing of the Torch match that i can watch for ever. except that my vhs has really deteriorated after watching it so much

World Beater
06-15-2005, 05:40 PM
they dont show it

too many great points in the one match to show them all
this is the Passing of the Torch match that i can watch for ever. except that my vhs has really deteriorated after watching it so much

The bh reflex was more amazing considering sampras had roger like a sitting duck after rogi's netcord.

its only 30 more sec of footage they have to show...but really...this a great synopsis of the match...thanks for the url

mitalidas
06-15-2005, 06:21 PM
The bh reflex was more amazing considering sampras had roger like a sitting duck after rogi's netcord.

its only 30 more sec of footage they have to show...but really...this a great synopsis of the match...thanks for the url

sigh
what i would do for pete and roger to have played more at wimbledon

and for the url, thanks to Steven's Point, he unearthed it and posted it somewhere on Roger's forum first :yeah: