Andre not playing Wimbledon [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andre not playing Wimbledon

aam
06-14-2005, 06:55 PM
just saw it on espn. i hope this will give him time to rest for the US Open

hablovah19
06-14-2005, 07:00 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

so will he be bashed as well for pulling out???

rofe
06-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Is it the pinched nerve acting up? That is truly sad. :bigcry:

If it is injury, I am glad he is not relying on pain killers to get him through the tournament.

I will miss you at Wimbly this year Andre ! Go get some rest.

onewoman74
06-14-2005, 07:10 PM
too bad for Andre...a pinched nerve is hell!!

MisterQ
06-14-2005, 07:12 PM
I will really miss seeing him play on the grass. :sad: I hope he can make it to the USO at least.

tennyfan
06-14-2005, 07:13 PM
I would think it should be fairly obvious after RG that Andre is one hurting pup. Did I hear correctly on ESPN that Andre was getting periodic cortezone shots to help with his back/hip nerve pain? I always thought the effects of these shots lasted for several hours or at the most a few days. But it sounded like the shots Andre has been getting last for several weeks(?). Does anyone know more about this? If the shots are no longer effective, I have to wonder how long Andre can continue.

Fee
06-14-2005, 07:15 PM
I hate to say this, because I really hoped to see him around for a while, but this injury could force him out before he wants to leave. I think he still wants to play for another year, but his body may not let him. Bummer.

Get well Andre.

*Ljubica*
06-14-2005, 07:17 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

so will he be bashed as well for pulling out???

Certainly not by the people who start daft threads about "dirtballers" pulling out, even though Gaudio, Moya, Calleri etc are all genuinely injured too.

Still - get well Andre - I m not a fan but no one can deny he is a credit to the game and it's a shame to see him having these problems.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
06-14-2005, 07:23 PM
This is a sad news, :crying2: but it's better than forcing himself to play the match. :)
Go away injury, :fiery: really want him to play. :sad:

savesthedizzle
06-14-2005, 07:24 PM
I hope he can recover from this injury and leave the game on his own terms instead of being forced out. :(

Denaon
06-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Damn :sad:
:scratch: this may open the draw a little (not having him in the way is always good for other players)

star
06-14-2005, 07:25 PM
I would think it should be fairly obvious after RG that Andre is one hurting pup. Did I hear correctly on ESPN that Andre was getting periodic cortezone shots to help with his back/hip nerve pain? I always thought the effects of these shots lasted for several hours or at the most a few days. But it sounded like the shots Andre has been getting last for several weeks(?). Does anyone know more about this? If the shots are no longer effective, I have to wonder how long Andre can continue.

I've had a steroid shot in my back because of back pain and neuropathy in my leg. They're great. It reduced my pain by at least 85%. However, you can't get the one that I got very often. I don't know if they would give it more than once every six months if that often. They put these injections right on the nerve. You don't want to see the needle. :lol:

But I hear they don't always help everyone. :sad:

It would be impossible to play with the kind of pain I had. Hell, it wasn't easy to even walk with it.

Lee
06-14-2005, 08:09 PM
It's interesting that this article just came out yesterday and today, he withdrew.

It also provided some information about the cortisone injection that Agassi is taking.

http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=13147&bannerregion=

Cahill: Agassi Will Play Wimbledon

By Tennis Week
06/13/2005

Eight-time Grand Slam champion Andre Agassi will play Wimbledon. The 35-year-old Agassi is scheduled to arrive in London this week to begin preparations for his 14th — and possibly final — Wimbledon appearance, Agassi's coach, Darren Cahill, told the Australian media.

Wimbledon begins on June 20th. Agassi is scheduled to arrive in London tomorrow to begin preparation for the grass-court Grand Slam.

The 35-year-old Agassi established an Open Era record by competing in his 58th career Grand Slam event at Roland Garros last month. Agassi was forced to contemplate the finish line of his career bowing out to Jarkko Nieminen 7-5, 4-6, 6-7(6), 6-1, 6-0 while suffering from the sciatic nerve in his back in what may well have been his final French Open farewell.

In the aftermath of that painful loss, Agassi said he was planning to play Wimbledon.

"I have every intention of playing (Wimbledon)," Agassi said.

Cortisone shots have provided pain relief from his sciatic nerve and enabled Agassi to enjoy a productive spring season. He reached the quarterfinals at Indian Wells, the semifinals in Key Biscayne, the Houston quarterfinals on red clay and made a strong showing in Rome where he reached the final four before falling to French Open finalist Guillermo Coria.

At this stage of his career, Agassi is not only facing the world's best players, he's playing against time as he tries to squeeze out every bit of quality tennis he has left within him. For now, he's willing to trade cortisone treatment for the time it allows him to continue competing.

"If I'm getting a few months out of it, it's fair enough for me injection," Agassi said. "It takes 10 minutes and if I can give up 10 minutes for a few months I'll probably still choose that. It's hard to deal with hypotheticals as I head through he rest of the year and how things respond and where I find myself mentally and emotionally. It's disappointing to feel this and disappointing to be in a position to not be competitive out there. I'll keep plugging along until I feel there's nothing I can do about it. I was told I can take up to three (injections) in a given year."

gooner88
06-14-2005, 08:36 PM
So sad to hear the news about Agassi's withdrawal.
Hope he can do well at the US Open, probably his best chance of getting another major before he retires.

DDrago2
06-14-2005, 08:39 PM
A tennis book not likely to sell:
"Estimate the Right Time to Retire" by Andre Agassi

Billabong
06-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Andre:sad: get well soon:hug:

Fumus
06-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Crazy...craZy.

nermo
06-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Poor Agassi. :angel: .nerve pain is very annoying ofcourse..hope these Cortisone shots 'll help with some rest..it takes time, so GOD be with him...

azinna
06-15-2005, 02:10 AM
This is really ugly to watch. But it's his decision and life, so we'll go along with it and see him through to the end. So I say it's better that he rests up the body and that injury, give things time and try to be sharp by US Open. Better the withdrawal than a replay of that face he gave when he was leaving the stadium after his FO loss.

tennischick
06-15-2005, 02:25 AM
A tennis book not likely to sell:
"Estimate the Right Time to Retire" by Andre Agassi
this would be cute if his problem wasn't injury.

mandoura
06-15-2005, 06:01 AM
Sad news. :sad:

Andre is always great to watch when fit. It's really disappointing his body is not as strong as his will. As said before, it's a shame to be forced to retire rather than choose it himself.

Hope to see him well and fit for the US open.

Get well soon Andre. Your fans are behind you, any which way it goes.

Neely
06-15-2005, 08:25 AM
Unbelievable :banghead: :fiery: ..... :sad:

I hope he can still play a few more tournaments later, get well Andre!

HappyAndie
06-15-2005, 08:29 AM
My Grandmother has the same nerve issue. She gets the cortisone shots as well. However, the problem with them is that while the shot works sometimes, a lot of the time the shot doesn't work at all, or only a little bit. It may be that even though Andre got the shot the Monday after his RG exit, that it didn't work well enough for him.

Quite sad, if you ask me. But, I don't want an RG repeat. That was quite possibly one of the most heartbreaking things I have seen in a long time. The will was so present, but the ability was absent. I had to turn off my television.

It's just sad because he has seen so many better days, and if it weren't for this nerve problem, he could still play well. Poor guy, tennis is gonna miss him : (

Golfnduck
06-15-2005, 02:27 PM
I wish Andre could play at Wimbledon. I hope he'll play in the USO. But I'm thinking that this is Andre's last year :sad: :sad:

Qaatar
06-15-2005, 05:54 PM
this would be cute if his problem wasn't injury.

Exactly...I find that joke a little tasteless.

Daniel
06-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Andre :sad:

NYCtennisfan
06-16-2005, 08:50 AM
That's too bad. It's always fun seeing Andre basically half-volleying from the baseline at Wimbledon.

NATAS81
06-16-2005, 09:01 AM
He is still capable of going deep at USO.

YoursTruly
06-17-2005, 05:42 AM
He'll be back with a vengence at the USO!

AZILANA
06-17-2005, 11:08 AM
he'll be back like a man deprived... (i hope).... so sad, he is one of most fun to watch, such a master of the game....