Article: Ivo Karlovic a stammering role model [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Article: Ivo Karlovic a stammering role model

Action Jackson
06-14-2005, 11:39 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4088664.stm

Tennis giant a stammering role model

Standing 6ft 10ins in height and with a serve regularly measuring more than 140mph, Croatian Ivo Karlovic may be the biggest challenge facing tennis's top stars at Wimbledon this summer.

But for Karlovic himself, his biggest test comes off-court.

For someone who has struggled to overcome a stammer, dealing with media attention and having to answer probing questions in his second language always proves an extremely tough challenge.

The past two weeks have been the most successful of the 26-year-old's career, with him reaching the finals of the Surbiton and Stella Artois tournaments and establishing the man ranked 59th in the world as a real contender for Wimbledon when it starts on 20 June.

Media ordeal

But Karlovic was so worried he would not be able to properly thank the crowd in the traditional post-match interview after his defeat by Andy Roddick in the Stella Artois final, he approached BBC presenter Sue Barker beforehand and asked if she make his on-court speech.

At a news conference the evening beforehand, Karlovic had looked incredibly nervous as he addressed journalists following his semi-final victory over former Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson.

After he fielded those dozen questions, he was asked to record a TV interview with BBC tennis presenter Andrew Castle.

It proved to be a perfect match-up. In his other role as a host on GMTV, Castle has had experience of interviewing stammering pop singer Gareth Gates.

STAMMERING QUICK FACTS
Stammering is estimated to affect nearly 500,000 adults in Britain
Significantly more men than women stammer
Stammering usually, but not always, develops between the ages of three and five
Rowan Atkinson, Bruce Willis and Marilyn Monroe showed that stammering should be no handicap to building a successful screen career
Some stammerers find it easier to express themselves if they whisper or partly sing their words

Castle had a glass of water at the ready, encouraged Karlovic to relax and was thus able to capture the tennis player's true character in an interview screened on BBC Two just before his final.

Castle said: "At first I found it a little uncomfortable to speak to him. He was trying so hard to speak but his teeth were chattering.

"But after a while when you realise that he's not embarrassed by it and he has to cope with this obstacle in every conversation, you warm to him.

"Then his real character emerges and he comes across as a very charming, really gentle and very intelligent bloke.

"But he should smile more. He obviously finds the whole media thing a bit of an ordeal but as soon as he smiles, he has one of those expressions that would make the whole world smile with him.

Former Wimbledon champion and now BBC commentator John McEnroe was impressed by what he saw in Karlovic's media appearances.

He confessed that, despite his own "Mac the Mouth" reputation, he too used to get more nervous about his early encounters with the media than the matches which preceded them - and he did not have to cope with a foreign language or a stammer.

McEnroe, who works closely with the players on the ATP Tour around the year, said: "Ivo's actually improved quite a bit and we will keep encouraging him to keep expressing his thoughts."

'Gareth effect'

For the British Stammering Association, there is real interest in this year's Wimbledon, as members hope they have found a new role model for youngsters who fear their problems with speaking will forever blight their lives.

Gareth Gates overcame his stammer in the public eye

The association's chief executive Norbert Lieckfeldt said: "Sometimes, it is quite hard reassuring teenagers with a stammer, particularly teenage boys. So many fear 'I will never have a girlfriend, I won't have a job, I won't have a career'.

"But someone like Ivo, particularly when he speaks, shows them that you can learn to live with it and then to control it."

Mr Lieckfeldt also sees positive benefits from having one of the most imposing stars in sport as a positive example for young stammerers who fear bullying.

He is hoping Karlovic's success may have a similar impact to the emergence of Gates as a chart-topping star.

He said: "Our organisation definitely saw a 'Gareth effect'. We had a lot more people who felt able to come to us and ask for help and advice.

The problem is often a misplaced sense of urgency. Just concentrate on what you want to say at your own speed. It's the message that counts, not how you say it

Mr Lieckfeldt said: "It becomes easier for people like Ivo when they realise that people are interested in what you are saying and not how you stammer."

His advice to any stammerer, famous or not, who suddenly find himself having to face the media or any other public speaking situation is: "The problem is often a misplaced sense of urgency. Just concentrate on what you want to say at your own speed. It's the message that counts, not how you say it."

hablovah19
06-14-2005, 12:04 PM
cool article.

poor Ivo. :hug: having to deal with media and in a second language.

it would make most people nervous !!!

I didn't know that Bruce Willis and Monroe stammered. if they could overcome it....

MariaV
06-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Interesting. Thanks for posting the article George.

azza
06-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Stammer? is that studdering?

adelaide
06-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Stammer? is that studdering?
yeah, pretty much.

awww ivo :hug:

Fumus
06-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Good thing they named him Ivo....lol...atleast he can say his own name...imagine if his name was Richie. ;)

Papakori
06-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks so much for the article!

NYCtennisfan
06-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Nice article. Good for Ivo. Reading this articles makes me want to root for him even more than I do now.

Eclectic Goddess
06-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Lovely article. Ivo is such a nice guy. It's good to see him get some positive press.

I really wish he'd smile more, too.

tennischick
06-15-2005, 03:28 AM
thanks for posting ;)

sigmagirl91
06-15-2005, 04:11 AM
Thanks, George.

Clara Bow
06-15-2005, 04:34 AM
Thanks for posting that. I know it must be hard for athletes who need to talk to the media who stutter.

For example, Johnny Damon of the Boston Red Sox is a stutterer (has been since he was young) but now can control it with a lot of thought and slow speech. But since most people aren't aware that he is a stutterer have no patience for his slow speech and call him dumb. A shame.

Action Jackson
10-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Yes, for those who didn't know that Ivo has a stutter and he finds dealing with the press of a problem than most.

Fee
10-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks for bumping this up again GWH. :D

alfonsojose
10-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Yes, for those who didn't know that Ivo has a stutter and he finds dealing with the press of a problem than most.
tahnks for this one. Ivo :bowdown:

lorenz
10-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Nice Article !!

*Ljubica*
10-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks for bumping this thread GWH and for posting the article - I was one of those who missed it first time round. It's a lovely article and Ivo is a lovely guy - I watched him at Wimbledon this year taking ages with all the kids signing autographs and posing for photos - he was really sweet with them - a real "gentle giant". Good Luck to him in Madrid.

Corey Feldman
10-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Ivo is indeed a true version of a gentle giant
I would really love to see him win Madrid :bounce:
GO IVO AMJO AJMO!!

great article , but to compare it to Gareth Gates stammer is crap, that little music-manufactured piece of shit didnt have a stammer, it was an act .. everyone knows it was a sympathy ploy to help him win that idiotic music game show he was in, well he was 2nd if i recall, or any Brits reading would know.

StrangeAttractor
10-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Sorry to spoil the party but I don't see how he is a 'stammering role model'. He's a player who happens to stammer, that is all. He'd be a role model if he embraced it by having the courage to speak in after-game interviews. From the article it looks like he is running away from it. Asking Sue Barker to read his speech? Very courageous.

I'd be impressed if he actually talked about it or lent his support to some organizations that dealt with this sort of thing - bring it out into the limelight. So far I see none of that being done.

*Ljubica*
10-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Ivo is indeed a true version of a gentle giant
I would really love to see him win Madrid :bounce:
GO IVO AMJO AJMO!!

great article , but to compare it to Gareth Gates stammer is crap, that little music-manufactured piece of shit didnt have a stammer, it was an act .. everyone knows it was a sympathy ploy to help him win that idiotic music game show he was in, well he was 2nd if i recall, or any Brits reading would know.

How could I forget Gareth Gates :rolleyes: And yes - he did come 2nd - whatever happened to him anyway?

Corey Feldman
10-20-2005, 08:27 PM
How could I forget Gareth Gates :rolleyes: And yes - he did come 2nd - whatever happened to him anyway?
same thing that happens to all realit ytv winners, fade away after 15 minutes :p :wavey: rose

ae wowww
10-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Ivo is a legend :D Jim told me about the stammer about a year ago, and I think he does very well considering he has the problem.

Action Jackson
02-18-2007, 07:02 AM
It will be interesting to see whether he gives a speech if he wins in San Jose.