what were the devoted things you did as a fan? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

what were the devoted things you did as a fan?

megadeth
06-14-2005, 01:29 AM
i used to buy every nike aparrel that agassi wore since 1995. i now have a huge collection of different dri-FIT shirts and it's kinda cool looking back at each of them.

what about you?

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-14-2005, 01:39 AM
uuuuummmmm, nothing. I suck

adelaide
06-14-2005, 01:51 AM
I stayed up til 5:00 a.m. on a school night to see Rafael lose. :angel:
nothing grand, but yeah.

LaTenista
06-14-2005, 02:08 AM
I'm not Spanish but I made paella the first week of RG and flan the second in honor of Rafa - I knew he was going to win it!

Isabel

YoursTruly
06-14-2005, 02:27 AM
Wish all the worst for one of my favourite player's opponents!

ugotlobbed
06-14-2005, 02:29 AM
i skipped high school classes in the middle of the day to go home and watch federer

Fee
06-14-2005, 04:40 AM
started a website.

guida
06-14-2005, 05:01 AM
Nothing too crazy. I have a million Pete Sampras scrapbooks with every pic of every size from mags, papers, the net, etc; countless mags and posters; dozens of tapes with his matches; and to top it all, I have his autograph!(from when he came to Lisbon for the Masters Final in 2000). :worship: :D

savesthedizzle
06-14-2005, 05:07 AM
I moderate communities on LiveJournal... lol.

I don't do anything too crazy.

Although, I am going on a 9 hour road trip with 3 people I have never met in order to go to Montreal this summer to cheer for my boys

Fee
06-14-2005, 05:07 AM
can I come over guida? I want to see all of your tapes and your photos and stuff. I missed the middle of Pete's career. :sad:

guida
06-14-2005, 05:13 AM
can I come over guida? I want to see all of your tapes and your photos and stuff. I missed the middle of Pete's career. :sad:

Awww, Fee, I'd love to share them with you... :awww: :hug:
If it weren't for that silly old Atlantic Ocean... :sad:

aj_m2009
06-14-2005, 05:14 AM

Can I come too? I missed all but the last year of Pete's career.:(

guida
06-14-2005, 05:16 AM
Can I come too? I missed all but the last year of Pete's career.:(

Sure, just get on the next plane and we'll have a Pete bash! :lol:

aj_m2009
06-14-2005, 05:18 AM
Sure, just get on the next plane and we'll have a Pete bash! :lol:

Ok, I'll see you and Fee in a few days lol.:p

guida
06-14-2005, 05:21 AM
:yeah: :)

Melissa10
06-14-2005, 05:23 AM
stayed up late just to watch it.... skipped work and classes sometimes... :D

Fee
06-14-2005, 05:30 AM
Sweet, Pete-fest! Can we wait until Wimby is over? :D

guida
06-14-2005, 05:40 AM
Sure! Wouldn't wanna miss Andy's big moment of 2005! :D

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-14-2005, 06:55 AM
started a website.

ou, why didn't i think of this.

i used to have a very popular website for Kim Clijsters starting from when she was still and up-and-coming teenager :) :) I miss it, but working on a website week-in--week-out ever day is hard, especially when you're in high school

bad gambler
06-14-2005, 06:57 AM
nothing, the only things I'm devoted to are my family and god

Rex
06-14-2005, 08:03 AM
i practice voodoo on the opponant- joking, im pretty shit as a fan, but the best i do is watch all the matches of my favourites, even if takes me to the morning of the next day.

Kristen
06-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Each year I miss my dogs birthday(January 14)
This year I missed a friends wedding to go to Sydney qualifying. Well, I was hoping Alex Popp might have a miraculous recovery.
Websites/Yahoo groups about players.
This year I gave Jonas a plaque, on behalf of all his fans...fearing he might retire.:lol:
My lecturer let me miss an exam, to go to DC 2001. Then, when I took the late exam in January, I had to leave ASAP to get to Thomas Johanssons 1st round match (loss) in Sydney. N.B. I passed my exam;)

Auscon
06-14-2005, 08:24 AM
nothing too much, just staying up to watch/follow their matches, chasing down dvd's of past matches

FrogBurger
06-14-2005, 09:15 AM
I dont really consider myself a fan. I am a 'tennis enthusiast'. I buy tennis magazines, i go to tournaments, i joined a French Tennis Club, a 'tennis supporter club' called les bulots de tennis francais, i started a website about french tennis (which i didnt finish cause nobody really was going to go to it), I take people to RG, thats abou it.

World Beater
06-14-2005, 09:18 AM
nothing, the only things I'm devoted to are my family and god

What abt them tooheys ;)

bad gambler
06-14-2005, 09:56 AM
What abt them tooheys ;)

damn, you caught me out :sad:

Kat!
06-14-2005, 10:36 AM
- websites
- roaming around MTF?
- skipped a week of uni to go to a tournament...overseas
(such a tough choice.... tennis....or uni :devil: )

williaer
06-14-2005, 10:42 AM
omg this is so embarrasing:
my friend and i sat outside a hotel in melb all day waiting for andy to come out, only to realise that he wasnt even staying there.
most embarrasing thing i have ever done.

Kristen
06-14-2005, 11:00 AM
my friend and i sat outside a hotel in melb all day waiting for andy to come out, only to realise that he wasnt even staying there.
:tape: Don't worry... at the peak of my Swedish-fandom.... in 2001 a friend and I, her sister and my boyfriend at the time spent a few hours sitting in the lobby of the hotel the Swedes were at during DC!!! LMAO... they never showed up, but we were SOOO excited to be there...and the man on the door was really polite ;) lol, I'm glad to say I'm no longer a stalker! (right kat? Jurgen followed US into that cafe :rolleyes: )

Lila
06-14-2005, 11:08 AM

:lol: It's ok. :) I think that you're not the only ones who's done that. ;)

Mrs. Guga, your sig is :haha: Great.

Lila
06-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Wish all the worst for one of my favourite player's opponents!

:haha: Me too!!!

karenrac
06-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Took 5 days vacation from work, missed a few classes in Uni and flew to Paris (Rolland Garros), without tickets to the matches :cool:

(We ended up getting tickets for 4 days, only to the outside courts)

Mrs. B
06-14-2005, 01:50 PM
took 3 days off from work last month and went to Roland Garros. of course i didn't tell my boss and colleagues what i was up to. ;)

last year i went to Basel for the semis and finals, stayed in an expensive hotel, only to know days earlier that Roger wasn't playing. The finals was a good one though, Nalbandian against Novak, in a 5 setter. Great tennis from both. I was rooting for David but it was not his day. I also took Tuesday off and went with some friends, the day i learned Roger was not gonna play. :mad:

waking up at 3 a.m. to watch the AO and cheering loudly for my fave and waking up hubby from his slumber! :lol:

Nathy
06-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Staying awoken a whole night to watch a match and, during last AO skipping University to watch Federer's matches (except this SF lost to Safin I have seen only one set and a half)

tennisace
06-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Gosh, this is embarrassing. My list is very very long but here are the highlights.

Sold my soul for ticket to Pat's semi-final against Chang at the USO in '97.

Made my hubby leave work early and drive 3 1/2 hours for Pat's 1st rd match in Montreal in '01, then drive home another 3 1/2 hours after the match was over.

Dragged my hubby to the USO '01 for all of Pat's matches and on the day of his match against Pete, woke up in agonizing pain, got half way there but was in so much pain, made him turn around and go back to my sisters in Westchester, but once there decided I'd kill myself if I missed it, and so fortified with pain killers made him drive me back for the match.

Spent countless late night, early morning hours in chat rooms with people all over the world who were calling matches, experiencing jet lag witout ever leaving the home. Eventually have met up with most of these people at tourneys all over the world.

Have collected well over 100 of his matches on tape - which eventually I'm going to have to transfer to DVD so they'll be preserved and I can watch them when I'm admitted to a nursing home - or psych ward - whichever comes first.

Went to a WTT match last year to see him and am going to two this summer. I'm not a big fan of WTT, but for Pat is no brainer.

Have a secret hiding place - unknown to hubby and child - with hundreds of pictures.

Kristen
06-14-2005, 02:17 PM
LMAO You (and Fee!) have the most awesome, understanding husbands!! :eek: :hug:

Choupi
06-14-2005, 02:18 PM
What have I done as a dedicated fan? Well, where to start? :D

When I was at Uni, I was a very dedicated Agassi fan. And, my exams always happened during RG. It occurred that I left the exam room much before the dead line of the exam, just because I knew that Andre was playing! I certainly didn't want to miss him...I've never had as good marks as when I did so! Maybe my motivation was huge! :D

Hopefully I was at Uni, but I used to wake up in the middle of the night, for the Us Open, to watch him play live. And classes hadn't begun yet at Uni. :rolleyes: I remember having woken up at 3 different times in the night for him. First, to get the order of play, and then, because he was 3rd or 4th match, and then because of rain delays! :rolleyes:

tennisace
06-14-2005, 02:46 PM
LMAO You (and Fee!) have the most awesome, understanding husbands!! :eek: :hug:

He is. So understanding in fact that I just splurged on a new $500 digicam so I can finally take some decent pics of Pat this summer. Am giving it to him as a Fathers Day gift, but it's really for me, and he'll figure it out as soon as he opens it.

Fee
06-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Leslie, is that you? :D

tennisace
06-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Leslie, is that you? :D

No, but I've known Leslie for years.

Fee
06-14-2005, 07:42 PM
I didn't think she was registered here, but your stories sounded very similar. Isn't great to have an understanding husband? :lol:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
06-14-2005, 08:00 PM
left school during a test.... for watching roger
ran home from school when gato played about 4km, no bus at this day....;)
and what happened? the former match wasn't finished....:p

tennisace
06-14-2005, 08:43 PM
I didn't think she was registered here, but your stories sounded very similar. Isn't great to have an understanding husband? :lol:

Yes it is, although I wonder how far I can go sometime. He wasn't all to thrilled when I stayed at the players hotel in Montreal two years ago, but managed to survive. Leslie's hubby is very much the same way. Was actually with her at The Hamlet last summer. She's had ongoing computer problems and hasn't been around since the fall, but I'm sure she's devasted that Hamlet is no more.

Carito_90
06-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Sold my soul for ticket to Pat's semi-final against Chang at the USO in '97.

Oh God you just killed me :haha:

What I have done... Stay every single night of the AO untill 5 am (thats when the coverage started) and actually manage not to fall asleep :lol:
Change my 15th birthday party for a trip to the Nasdaq-100 next year :p
And yes, I have some 'groupie' stories :lol: But they were all just for fun :p

Nothing huge, I'm quite normal, right? :lol:

Nathy
06-15-2005, 12:22 AM
And yes, I have some 'groupie' stories :lol: But they were all just for fun :p

Feel free to tell us what you did :p

Nothing huge, I'm quite normal, right? :lol:

I love the "quite" :lol: :p

Via
06-15-2005, 12:56 AM
i don't know where to start if i must own up all those crazy things that i had done.

how about, flying half way across the world to take up a $500 a month job, working and staying with people that i had never met, just so that i could get closer to the tennis? lol

i have no regrets though... you have to be a little crazy when the legs can still carry you.

williaer
06-15-2005, 01:17 AM
:tape: Don't worry... at the peak of my Swedish-fandom.... in 2001 a friend and I, her sister and my boyfriend at the time spent a few hours sitting in the lobby of the hotel the Swedes were at during DC!!! LMAO... they never showed up, but we were SOOO excited to be there...and the man on the door was really polite ;) lol, I'm glad to say I'm no longer a stalker! (right kat? Jurgen followed US into that cafe :rolleyes: )

good job! i love swedish fans @ the aussie open. the match this year with joachim johansson vs peter wessels... i was there and the swede fans were going psycho... it was so much fun!

although i didnt see andy, i saw a little bec and lleyton lip action if you know what i mean ;)

Jennay
06-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Change my 15th birthday party for a trip to the Nasdaq-100 next year :p
Hey, you get to meet me, it can't be that bad. ;) :rocker2:

Carito_90
06-15-2005, 04:04 AM
Hey, you get to meet me, it can't be that bad. ;) :rocker2:

I never said that ;)

Carito_90
06-15-2005, 04:06 AM
Feel free to tell us what you did :p

Let's just say it involved 4 other friends, and lots and lots of waiting outside a club... :lol:

I love the "quite" :lol: :p

Gotta keep it cool, you know :lol:

Clara Bow
06-15-2005, 05:20 AM
Made my hubby leave work early and drive 3 1/2 hours for Pat's 1st rd match in Montreal in '01, then drive home another 3 1/2 hours after the match was over.

Oh- aren't husbands the best!

This past year I paid waaaayyyy too much for tickets to the Master's Cup finals in Houston on e-bay because, even though the finals weren't set yet I had to see Federer and knew he would make it. So then we drove down the 2.5 hours to Houston to see the finals even though the rain was awful and it would be very difficult for us to stay the night if it was delayed. Rain delay, rain delay- then plotted a way to stay with a friend if need be- ended up not needing to. But there were so many rain delays. Luckily we got to see the match completed but also drank a ton of wine during the rain delays. (To anyone who was there and saw a drunken couple arguing during a delay about when they should have kids- sorry about that!) Then husband decided that instead of crashing at friend's place after the match he really wanted to get back to Austin. So we drove home for 2.5 hours with him exhausted, me terrified that he was going to crash and poking him hard in the arm with a pen every five minutes yelling "stay awake or we'll die god da** it!" Happy to say that we lived.

When I was in elementary and middle school I had a big thing for Edberg and so I had to promise my creepy Swedish second-cousin Rune that I would kiss him next time he came to visit if he would send me all the clippings about Stefan that he could. Yes, I know....ewww....but luckily that never came to pass.

ca1houn
06-15-2005, 06:02 AM
I gave up some Air Jordan value at 180 plus tax for Indians Wells tickets just to see Federer play lucky he won so I couldn't have asked for a better tournament only regret is that Agassi got hurt and that might have been my last time to ever see him in person.

Oh yea I gave away all of my Marat Safin picture, poster, video after his win against Federer. Damn match had me up all night couldn't go to school the next day.

superpinkone37
06-15-2005, 06:45 AM
Um....just missing school and staying up late and stuff I think. I rememer this last December, the week before the DC finals I was hinting to my mom that I was planning on being sick that Friday because of tennis and for once she said no, you have to go to school. I gave in, but it was so weird, I must have willed myself sick because I actually did come down with a cold Thursday night and had to miss school :angel:

I have also left school early during the AO to watch tennis and miss school for IW, and once bought a $300 ticket basically for ONE match. I think that's all I have done. :confused: I mean, I talk about tennis so much that I think I annoy people, but thats different.