Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

ultraX
06-13-2005, 11:47 PM
I was watching a couple matches of Nadal in Monte Carlo Open, Rome Open and lately Roland Garros. Rafeal reminds me the great, the unbeattable clay court player ever existed Thomas Muster, ex champ of RG 1995. Since they are both left-handed, similar style, great physical ability, amazing mental, Nadal is a tremendous athlete that I've EVER known after Muster.

The only thing that I'd prefer is Nadal has one-handed backhand. :) :yippee:
which I thing it's much better for typical clay player :angel:

Zoupa
06-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Do you mean you prefer Nadal's two handed backhand or do you mean that you'd prefer Nadal to switch to one handed?

I always thought 2 handed was better for clay...

kabuki
06-13-2005, 11:56 PM
I can see it. But I think Rafa will win more slams than Muster, barring injuries or mishaps. Such as getting hit by a car like Thomas.

ultraX
06-14-2005, 12:07 AM
I'd prefer Nadal switch to one handed backhand instead :)

Do you mean you prefer Nadal's two handed backhand or do you mean that you'd prefer Nadal to switch to one handed?

I always thought 2 handed was better for clay...

ultraX
06-14-2005, 12:11 AM
Yeah I agree with you and Nadal is still young
When Muster won @RG 1995 against Micheal Chang he was like 28 of age already and I still has this match on my VHS tape hehe :)

Bottom line, Nadal is so great. I said that cuz I'm also a left-handed :)

I can see it. But I think Rafa will win more slams than Muster, barring injuries or mishaps. Such as getting hit by a car like Thomas.

World Beater
06-14-2005, 03:01 AM
Nadal has more spin on the fh than muster and is faster on court. He can also defend the bh better than muster on faster courts. But Muster had more endurance and could go on forever.

NYCtennisfan
06-14-2005, 03:45 AM
me the great, the unbeattable clay court player ever existed Thomas Muster

Well, this was for only about two years with not as good RG results as one would expect although he did lost to some great players like Courier in his prime, Guga coming up, Stich, Rafter(!?). I thought Muster didn't move nearly as well on court but could hit the ball flatter and harder. He also had a better serve. Nadal has become really good at a young age though so he should achieve more if he can stay away from some of the injuries that Muster went through. It's amazing how Muster developed his game for the hardcourts later on in his career with some really good wins at Key Biscayne, Dubai, semis at Indian Wells, finals at Cinncinnati, semis at the Australian.

Here are Muster's year end rankings by age (apologize for the format):

Years Old Rank
17 381
18 98
19 45
20 69
21 16
22 20
23 7
24 35
25 18
26 9
27 16
28 3
29 6 (reached #1 this year)
30 9 (did better on hard courts this year)
31 24

tennischick
06-14-2005, 03:49 AM
Nadal's ferocity reminds me a bit of Muster. altho' Muster was far more ferocious. how he kept that up match after match is beyond me.

ultraX
06-14-2005, 03:12 PM
thanx for sharing with us Muster's info :)

About Muster, I've only seen him on clay.
what I like about Muster is he hit so hard both side fh and bh. I was so inspired on his one-handed backhand. :eek:
I didn't know he also did well on hard court. I remember that he lost @US open...

and now I watch Nadal he reminds so much of the great Muster. :worship:

Well, this was for only about two years with not as good RG results as one would expect although he did lost to some great players like Courier in his prime, Guga coming up, Stich, Rafter(!?). I thought Muster didn't move nearly as well on court but could hit the ball flatter and harder. He also had a better serve. Nadal has become really good at a young age though so he should achieve more if he can stay away from some of the injuries that Muster went through. It's amazing how Muster developed his game for the hardcourts later on in his career with some really good wins at Key Biscayne, Dubai, semis at Indian Wells, finals at Cinncinnati, semis at the Australian.

Here are Muster's year end rankings by age (apologize for the format):

Years Old Rank
17 381
18 98
19 45
20 69
21 16
22 20
23 7
24 35
25 18
26 9
27 16
28 3
29 6 (reached #1 this year)
30 9 (did better on hard courts this year)
31 24

NATAS81
06-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Other than lefty/lefty, hell no.

Action Jackson
06-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Nadal has more spin on the fh than muster and is faster on court. He can also defend the bh better than muster on faster courts. But Muster had more endurance and could go on forever.

Muster's backhand was better, but I think Nadal plays net rushers better than Muster does, however when Muster was playing he played against some outstanding net players which is something Nadal hasn't had to as often. There isn't the calibre of net players like Becker, Edberg, Rafter, Sampras, Stich and Krajicek now.

World Beater
06-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Muster's backhand was better, but I think Nadal plays net rushers better than Muster does, however when Muster was playing he played against some outstanding net players which is something Nadal hasn't had to as often. There isn't the calibre of net players like Becker, Edberg, Rafter, Sampras, Stich and Krajicek now.

You may be right abou the bh, but a certain Mr.Agassi thinks other wise.

Action Jackson
06-14-2005, 03:50 PM

A certain Agassi couldn't get close to Muster on clay after 88 and the 94 RG match Muster should have won in 3 sets and not 5. There are similarites and there are differences. Agassi was able to use his superior timing and faster hand-eye co-ordination on the hardcourts to outmanouever Muster.

Muster had a better serve and one thing Nadal doesn't have 1 leg shorter than the other because of an accident, the willigness to run everything down and they actually trained together in Rome.

World Beater
06-14-2005, 03:54 PM
A certain Agassi couldn't get close to Muster on clay after 88 and the 94 RG match Muster should have won in 3 sets and not 5. There are similarites and there are differences. Agassi was able to use his superior timing and faster hand-eye co-ordination on the hardcourts to outmanouever Muster.

What does this have to do with nadal and muster?
I recall Agassi picking out nadals bh over muster's when asked to compare the two.

Action Jackson
06-14-2005, 03:55 PM
What does this have to do with nadal and muster?
I recall Agassi picking out nadals bh over muster's when asked to compare the two.

You bought up Agassi and since you bought it up, do you think he is good enough to do that to Nadal if they meet on the hardcourts?

World Beater
06-14-2005, 03:58 PM
You bought up Agassi and since you bought it up, do you think he is good enough to do that to Nadal if they meet on the hardcourts?

I brought up agassi to give his viewpt on their respective bh of nadal and muster. Nothing more.

This has nothing to do with how Agassi would matchup against either player

Action Jackson
06-14-2005, 04:00 PM
I brought up agassi to give his viewpt on their respective bh of nadal and muster. Nothing more.

This has nothing to do with how Agassi would matchup against either player

You bought Agassi up, so do you have an answer to that question I asked?

vincayou
06-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Nadal is a mix of Muster and Hewitt. I don't know the exact proportions.

ultraX
06-14-2005, 04:12 PM
I think Muster's backhand was awesome weapon. I always like players who play with one-handed backhand. For me it's more natural to hit while I play.

Look at Richard Gasquet, Guga, Feliano Lopez or Puerta then you will know what I really mean :)

Most of them are clay players :angel:

NYCtennisfan
06-14-2005, 04:34 PM

At the age of 35, right now, healthy, YES. I have no question in my mind he could.

World Beater
06-14-2005, 05:09 PM
You bought Agassi up, so do you have an answer to that question I asked?

Nadal will beat andre if he plays like he did in miami

lolilotta18
06-14-2005, 06:27 PM
nadal is the most beautiful player ever! isn't he? better than muster, no?

star
06-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Nadal's ferocity reminds me a bit of Muster. altho' Muster was far more ferocious. how he kept that up match after match is beyond me.

ummm pharmecuticals? ;)

nermo
06-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Both are lefties..both have strong determination and fighting spirit..i remember hearing that Muster had a serious surgery after some accident and he could have the will to return and he did won RG..which was amazing .
also they both play beautifully on clay...and both re among my favorites..both on sports and also on personal basis.. :D

But i think and i hope Nadal 'll be able to achieve more.. :angel:

alexito
06-14-2005, 09:39 PM
nadal is better, because muster is only in clay, nadal is good in clay and hard, remember, in miami 2004 def federer, in miami 2005 nadal was very close def federer in final. in australia 2005 lost with hewitt in 5 set. I don't know in grass, but in hard is good too.

ultraX
06-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Muster was also good in hard court...

NYCtennisfan wrote:
It's amazing how Muster developed his game for the hardcourts later on in his career with some really good wins at Key Biscayne, Dubai, semis at Indian Wells, finals at Cinncinnati, semis at the Australian.

nadal is better, because muster is only in clay, nadal is good in clay and hard, remember, in miami 2004 def federer, in miami 2005 nadal was very close def federer in final. in australia 2005 lost with hewitt in 5 set. I don't know in grass, but in hard is good too.

ultraX
06-14-2005, 10:19 PM
as lefty myself both are my favorites too :)

Both are lefties..both have strong determination and fighting spirit..i remember hearing that Muster had a serious surgery after some accident and he could have the will to return and he did won RG..which was amazing .
also they both play beautifully on clay...and both re among my favorites..both on sports and also on personal basis.. :D

But i think and i hope Nadal 'll be able to achieve more.. :angel:

azinna
06-15-2005, 01:01 AM
I think these two players are being likened to each other for the obvious reasons (lefties, season's dominance on clay). But their styles are actually quite different. Nadal, at this stage at least, is far more of a counterpuncher. Don't get me wrong:his wicked inside-out forehand can cause some serious damage (we didnt see much of it at The French; perhaps due to nerves). Still most of his winners come when his opponents are on the attack, when he's playing unbelievable counterpunching defense. Other than that, he's actually quite content to forcefully draw the error via the heavy spin of his forehand.

Meanwhile, Muster's goal (from the serve to finishing winner) was always to draw his opponent way off the court. What made the flatness and pace of his strokes (off both one-handed wings, no less) so great were the angles he could create and maintain. From the first stroke Muster had his opponent running; actually, if you saw Muster being jerked around the court (as we did in the Nadal-Puerta final), you knew the man was in trouble.

morningglory
06-15-2005, 07:40 AM
No way. Muster was much more agressive with his strokes, flat, fast, and furious. But he couldn't retrieve like Nadal can. And yes, Nadal will likely win only RG slams with this passive gameplan.

konyalikartal
05-06-2006, 08:46 AM
What do you think about this match-up? Both are two best lefties ever and both are on clay. Wooowww!!! I think it would be an awesome match especially if they would play in the final of a Roland Garros? Muster was unbeatable at 1995 and Rafa is unbeatable now. According to me, Rafa would win in a marathon five set epic. It would be the longest match ever (longer than Santoro-Clement match at Roland Garros and longer than Rafa-Coria match in AMS Rome final:)). What are your opinions about the result of this virtual best of five set match on clay?

Andre♥
05-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Muster in 3 or 4.

Muster 95 was unbeatable to any tennis player ever!

He played some of the best tennis ever!

If you can, watch some of these matches:

vs Albert Costa in Estoril
vs Boris Becker in Monte Carlo
vs Sergi Brugera in Rome
vs Medvedev in RG
vs Albert Costa in RG
vs Chang in RG
vs Sergi Brugera in Stuttgart
vs Francisco Clavet in Umag

SLICK
05-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Muster in 3 or 4.

Muster 95 was unbeatable to any tennis player ever!

He played some of the best tennis ever!

If you can, watch some of these matches:

vs Albert Costa in Estoril
vs Boris Becker in Monte Carlo
vs Sergi Brugera in Rome
vs Medvedev in RG
vs Albert Costa in RG
vs Chang in RG
vs Sergi Brugera in Stuttgart
vs Francisco Clavet in Umag
Muster was the King at the time no question, however, Borg IMO was the all-time king. I'd take Rafa in 5 exhausting sets simply because of his superior speed.

konyalikartal
05-06-2006, 09:18 AM
He could lose to Becker in 4. He saved match points there. Rafa has never saved a match point up to this point. Besides, Muster played 2 five set matches during that 40 match period; only Coria took Rafa to 5 sets. Lastly and most importantly Rafa's streak is longer with 47 and continuing. I think, Rafa is more invincible on clay than Muster.

Andre♥
05-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Muster lost his streak against Corretja because he was injured.

Btw the spanish armada in 95 was insane: Carlos Costa, Albert Costa, Bruguera, Clavet, Emilio Sanchez, Berasategui and Corretja!

No way Nadal could beat them all during a season. He would have to lose somewhere against players like that.

hitchhiker
05-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Btw the spanish armada in 95 was insane: Carlos Costa, Albert Costa, Bruguera, Clavet, Emilio Sanchez, Berasategui and Corretja!

add to that kafelnikov, medvedev, Agassi, Chang

who is good on clay these days? well we have federer who has clay as his worst surface. we have coria who forgot how to serve. we have gaudio without a brain. we have ferrero who forgot how to play and then we have real stars like ferrer and davydenko.

Jim Jones
05-06-2006, 01:00 PM

Berasategui had a great forehand. I once tried to play like him and almost injured my wrist!

OddJob
05-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Rafa in 5 tough sets as Muster shouts profanity at Rafa during every change over. :p

Scotso
05-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Rafa in three. No contest.

oneandonlyhsn
05-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Muster in 4, right now all the so called clacourters are shit. Nobody can push Rafa whereas Muster played some amazing claycourters

joeb_uk
05-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Its hard to say, because the game and players evolve so quickly. I mean, you cannot compare players of 20 years ago to players of today, obviously you can for their performance and success relative to that time period (but in absolute terms, the best players of today ie federer, nadal would crush those of 20 years ago).

Saying that, has the game/players evolved that much in 10 years? I dont know, so I wouldnt want to comment.

Jenrios
05-06-2006, 02:29 PM
I was talking about this maych up a few weeks ago. I would love to see that match, were it possible. I might just tip Muster.

Sjengster
05-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Rafa in three. No contest.

:lol:

I'm not quite sure about the first post that says Nadal and Muster are the two best lefties ever - aren't there some guys called Laver, Connors and McEnroe who did pretty well themselves when they were in their prime? You couldn't even say that they're the two best lefties of all time on clay, not yet at least, remembering Vilas....

Merton
05-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Sadly, we can only see Rafa vs. Muster 06.

Chocobo
05-06-2006, 03:15 PM
A match I'd also have enjoyed is Rafa 06' against Guga at his best, 5 sets, Roland-Garros final...

What a match :)

Then again, sadly, all we can see is Rafa vs. Guga 06...Not the same story :sad:

trisco
05-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Howdy all.
My first post here.
And I HAVE to say Muster, no fighter like him in his prime since he retired, Nadal would more likely be pummelled and humbled in 5 sets.
Must admit, I didn't really rate Nadal but you have to give the guy credit, he is proving himself and turning into one of the greats.

World Beater
05-06-2006, 04:43 PM
muster has much more stamina than nadal.

muster in 5

oneandonlyhsn
05-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Seems like most posters never got to see Muster in his prime, now Muster in his prime and Guga in his prime would have been orgasmic :drool:

Boris Franz Ecker
05-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Nadal easily without doubts.
He does everything better than Alpen-Boris.

prima donna
05-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Nadal isn't in Muster's class.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
05-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Nadal isn't in Muster's class.
He's well above.

Bilbo
05-06-2006, 08:28 PM
This vote sadly shows that most people on MTF have no idea about tennis before 2000.

Rafa over Muster 95??? WTF???

I pick Muster. No contest.

A_Skywalker
05-06-2006, 08:30 PM
This vote sadly shows that most people on MTF have no idea about tennis before 2000.

Tennis has changed since Muster's time , so if we have to choose between 95 Muster and Nowadays Nadal , of course people will choose Nadal

Bilbo
05-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Tennis has changed since Muster's time , so if we have to choose between 95 Muster and Nowadays Nadal , of course people will choose Nadal

coz you are an idiot :)

joeb_uk
05-06-2006, 08:39 PM

Always love bilbos posts that hit hard! Were you a fan of muster bilbo?

A_Skywalker
05-06-2006, 09:12 PM
coz you are an idiot :)

Thank you

Gulliver
05-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Muster every time. He wasn't called the iron man for nothing. The only thing is that the sound would have to be off as the noise from both players would drive you insane.

trisco
05-06-2006, 10:52 PM
HAS to be Muster! One of the above posters was right about tennis pre 2000 not being recognized, the power in the mens hasn't increased that much at all, if anything the heavier balls have slowed it down slightly I think but Musters ability to just ground an apponent down and drill them into submission was pretty phenomenal then and would be now.

I think it would be close don't get me wrong but yeah, Muster would win in 5. :D

Action Jackson
05-07-2006, 03:46 AM
Muster

One, he could go for 6 hours to win a match and play as long as it took to win and along with the patience he also was able to hit a bit flatter than Nadal when needed and Muster could handle Bruguera's spin and played against others who hit as much topspin as Nadal does, so the heaviness of the Nadal shots wouldn't be as effective.

I could go on, but this will do for now.

Action Jackson
05-07-2006, 03:48 AM
Muster was the King at the time no question, however, Borg IMO was the all-time king. I'd take Rafa in 5 exhausting sets simply because of his superior speed.

Patience is more of a factor than speed in this case and Muster was not exactly slow.

bad gambler
05-07-2006, 03:51 AM
Muster and as hitch alluded to he had to contend with more talented and deeper claycourt player field 10 years ago than what Nadal has to face now

KoOlMaNsEaN
05-07-2006, 03:54 AM
need a muster video to know

Action Jackson
05-07-2006, 03:57 AM
Muster and as hitch alluded to he had to contend with more talented and deeper claycourt player field 10 years ago than what Nadal has to face now

There are others as well including the above. Then again Muster missed out on some potentially very good years as well, with the injury and then the rehab.

NYCtennisfan
05-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Wouldn't we all like to see this one? I think if they played 4 times on clay, it would be a split. I like Muster's ability to flatten his shots when needed which he did so well in '95 and '96 and that would be advantageous against Nadal. Muster beat a lot of very good claycourters in his heyday, but none were like Nadal and his ability to get everything back.

Action Jackson
05-07-2006, 04:36 AM
Wouldn't we all like to see this one? I think if they played 4 times on clay, it would be a split. I like Muster's ability to flatten his shots when needed which he did so well in '95 and '96 and that would be advantageous against Nadal. Muster beat a lot of very good claycourters in his heyday, but none were like Nadal and his ability to get everything back.

Actually Muster did play someone with more endurance and patience than he did in the early days and was a human backboard, the fact that he did play someone like that previously, helped him a lot when he had to play the guys he did later.

That factor from Nadal wouldn't bother Muster that much cause when did Muster ever lose a match from lack of endurance skills?

hitchhiker
05-07-2006, 07:11 AM
muster struggled against good serve-volleyers even on clay.
he lost and had epic battles with becker, krajicek, rafter and stich even on clay and his record against edberg is a big laugh.
wonder if nadal would struggle like him against this type of player. no serve volley players these days to find out.

i wonder how dominant muster would be these days with not 1 good serve volleyer on tour.

Action Jackson
05-07-2006, 07:19 AM
Yes, but since both of these players aren't serve volleyers it wouldn't be a factor in this match.

Then again it's about match ups Bruguera liked playing the S/Vs, whereas Muster hated it, yet Muster was 12-3 over Bruguera. Edberg's serve was the main reason and Muster's return positions were key in this.

As for Nadal, he does have excellent passing shots and doesn't mind people at the net and he doesn't always go for outright passing winners, which is the right way to do it, and something Muster didn't do enough of.

stebs
05-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Muster would have won easily if they had played in 95. Rafa would only have been 9.

NYCtennisfan
05-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Actually Muster did play someone with more endurance and patience than he did in the early days and was a human backboard, the fact that he did play someone like that previously, helped him a lot when he had to play the guys he did later.

That factor from Nadal wouldn't bother Muster that much cause when did Muster ever lose a match from lack of endurance skills?

Not talking lack of endurance as Muster could play all day. What I was tlaking about was Nadal's ability to get back balls from all over the court and put the ball back in neutral postions. I remember so many punishing combos from Muster that would have his opponent running and scrambling knowing that they would be losing the point. Nadal has a way of being on the run and then looping a FH high and deep to get back in the point.

It would be some great tennis to watch, just to see who would give in first.

NYCtennisfan
05-07-2006, 04:22 PM
muster struggled against good serve-volleyers even on clay.
he lost and had epic battles with becker, krajicek, rafter and stich even on clay and his record against edberg is a big laugh.
wonder if nadal would struggle like him against this type of player. no serve volley players these days to find out.

i wonder how dominant muster would be these days with not 1 good serve volleyer on tour.

It would be interesting, but the game has changed and evolved with the technology and slower balls. S/V tennis just is bad % in these days and I don't know how many talented youngsters are even being taught to even attack the net let alone S/V. Theoretically S/V tennis would work against Nadal because of his often loopy FH's, but the guy hits some amazing passing shots from both wings when given a target and he positions himself so well.

Action Jackson
05-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Not talking lack of endurance as Muster could play all day. What I was tlaking about was Nadal's ability to get back balls from all over the court and put the ball back in neutral postions. I remember so many punishing combos from Muster that would have his opponent running and scrambling knowing that they would be losing the point. Nadal has a way of being on the run and then looping a FH high and deep to get back in the point.

It would be some great tennis to watch, just to see who would give in first.

Muster knew how to play lefthanders and he could hit as many balls as necessary to win a match and only one person has bored him out of a match. Muster was a lot smarter player than most people give him credit for, he was limited and knew what he needed to do to win matches.

So Nadal hits a high deep forehand that's fine, then Muster will just wait until he gets a short ball. Muster has the patience and endurance level which virtually none of these players have today.

I like Nadal, but it's too early to put him in this class.

Deivid23
05-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Some people forget Nadal is only 19

Action Jackson
05-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Some people forget Nadal is only 19

This is the thing Nadal has won 2 titles this year on clay and has been nowhere near his best.

Deivid23
05-07-2006, 05:25 PM
This is the thing Nadal has won 2 titles this year on clay and has been nowhere near his best.

Itīs still soon and unfair comparing Nadal to legends of tennis, anyway he will earn that right soon enough Iīm convinced

Action Jackson
05-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Itīs still soon and unfair comparing Nadal to legends of tennis, anyway he will earn that right soon enough Iīm convinced

Yes, it is way too early and there are 7 established legends of claycourt tennis, it would be good to have an 8th.

But there is plenty of time before that will happen.

Merton
05-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Yes, it is way too early and there are 7 established legends of claycourt tennis, it would be good to have an 8th.

But there is plenty of time before that will happen.

Vilas, Borg, Lendl, Wilander, Muster, Kuerten. Who is the seventh? :confused:

Deivid23
05-07-2006, 06:04 PM

LaLo, definetely.

Action Jackson
05-07-2006, 06:04 PM
LaLo, definetely.

Thanks you made this economic essay I am doing a whole lot better.

Action Jackson
05-07-2006, 06:05 PM

He is from the same nation as the great LaLo and it isn't Tati Rascon. :)

DrJules
05-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Rafael.

Faster and more balanced mover, and more talented ball striker.

Action Jackson
05-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Rafael.

Faster and more balanced mover, and more talented ball striker.

Hahahahahaha

Sjengster
05-07-2006, 06:27 PM
He is from the same nation as the great LaLo and it isn't Tati Rascon. :)

Bruguera? The Tatty Rascal has never been a king of clay, sadly.

Action Jackson
05-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Bruguera? The Tatty Rascal has never been a king of clay, sadly.

Yes, he is the 7th.

Merton
05-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Lalo? :haha: :haha: :haha: He might have his photo next to some of these guys, it is the only way he can think of himself being in the same page. I forgot about Sergi, apart from his two RG titles he influenced clay court tennis a lot, in a way that Jim Courier for example did not.

tommyg6
03-31-2011, 06:47 AM
Let's say an in prime Thomas Muster vs Rafael Nadal this year battle it out on the red dirt, who wins?
The King of Clay or Rafa?
Could Rafa take it in straight sets?

Action Jackson
03-31-2011, 06:49 AM
Lets use the search engine.

Action Jackson
03-31-2011, 06:51 AM

Legends of clay tennis, well he has nailed that.

Action Jackson
03-31-2011, 06:53 AM
Has this view changed over time.

Elena.
03-31-2011, 07:03 AM
Nadal in 3 honestly

Topspindoctor
03-31-2011, 07:03 AM
Prime Nadal on clay is unbeatable. Simple as that. No player who has ever played tennis up to this point would win even a single set against Nadal in RG 2008.

Xristos
03-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Rafa.

Arkulari
03-31-2011, 07:11 AM
Rafa but it wouldn't be in straight sets as many of you think, Muster was a force of nature back then, I remember seeing him play in Barcelona for a few years and his grit made Pics or Montaņes look like headcases.

Pirao666
03-31-2011, 07:13 AM
Let's say an in prime Thomas Muster vs Rafael Nadal this year battle it out on the red dirt, who wins?
The King of Clay or Rafa?
Could Rafa take it in straight sets?

Rafa IS the King of Clay, so of course he would take it ;)

Pirao666
03-31-2011, 07:16 AM
Nadal is like Thomas Muster+++

Pirata.
03-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Borg is the king of clay, Rafa is the crown prince. He is expected to succeed him sometime in the next few months, however.

aberdons
03-31-2011, 08:08 AM
Rafa for me, no question

BlueSwan
03-31-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm sorry. I was a big Muster fan and I'm not a Rafa fan, but there's really no way that Muster or any other previous clay giant - including Borg - beats Rafa on clay. He's EASILY the best clay court player in history. Give Rafa a wood racket and Borg beats him handidly, but with current equipment no one can handle Rafa's spin on clay. Only way to beat him on clay is to blast him off the court and THAT is not easily done. So basically a hardhitter who's comfortable on clay has got better chances of beating Rafa on clay than a typical claycourter.

Action Jackson
03-31-2011, 08:24 AM
I'm sorry. I was a big Muster fan and I'm not a Rafa fan, but there's really no way that Muster or any other previous clay giant - including Borg - beats Rafa on clay. He's EASILY the best clay court player in history. Give Rafa a wood racket and Borg beats him handidly, but with current equipment no one can handle Rafa's spin on clay. Only way to beat him on clay is to blast him off the court and THAT is not easily done. So basically a hardhitter who's comfortable on clay has got better chances of beating Rafa on clay than a typical claycourter.

Don't be stupid Nadal is not going to play exactly the same way with a wooden racquet as he does now.

BlueSwan
03-31-2011, 08:31 AM
Don't be stupid Nadal is not going to play exactly the same way with a wooden racquet as he does now.
No, but a wooden racqet would negate his main strength which is the ridiculous amount of spin he generates. I concede that I don't know how Nadal would play with wood, but based on that I think he would lose to someone like Borg who mastered the wooden racquet and was close to unbeatable on clay in his prime. It's pure guesswork though.

Pirao666
03-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Hahahahahaha

Hahahahaha, indeed. Rafa would **** Muster in any surface ;)

Topspindoctor
03-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Nadal is much more talented. Plus he certainly wouldn't lose to Sampras on clay...ever.

star
03-31-2011, 12:27 PM
This thread was begun in 2005.

I think the question has been answered.

Muster never came close to what Nadal has accomplished.

Pirao666
03-31-2011, 12:32 PM
This thread was begun in 2005.

I think the question has been answered.

Muster never came close to what Nadal has accomplished.

Yeah, but to be fair Nadal wasn't hit by a car like Muster was. Still, I doubt Muster would have accomplished as much as Rafa has even if he had been healthy his whole career.

Action Jackson
04-01-2011, 09:39 AM
No, but a wooden racqet would negate his main strength which is the ridiculous amount of spin he generates. I concede that I don't know how Nadal would play with wood, but based on that I think he would lose to someone like Borg who mastered the wooden racquet and was close to unbeatable on clay in his prime. It's pure guesswork though.

Of course it is, we know how Borg played with a wooden stick whereas Nadal could not play the same way at all. Borg never lost a match due to conditioning, whereas Rafa has dandruff it's called an injury. Do you think Borg would play the same way with current technology?

Start da Game
04-01-2011, 09:49 AM
car accident is irrelevant in this regard.......rafael is the greatest demolisher of single handers.......he would pound muster's weaker wing to pieces.......muster would be laboring hard to even get balls on his forehand.......

there never was any comparison even in 2005......

deebyeah
04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Rafa will win ~~~~