will nalbandian get back into top 8 for year end [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

will nalbandian get back into top 8 for year end

ugotlobbed
06-13-2005, 09:30 PM
vote and voice

alexito
06-13-2005, 10:39 PM
I don't believe he come back top ten this year. I hope come back soon.

rofe
06-13-2005, 10:39 PM
I would love for him to get back into the top 10 but unfortunately his erratic play makes Safin's game seem consistent. :(

He has the talent but his self-confidence seems to have gone south. I like to watch all-court players like him play but unfortunately for him and me, he hasn't performed to his potential.

Oh well, here's hoping that he finds the spark that ignites his game for the rest of the year.

bad gambler
06-13-2005, 10:50 PM
his performances in the past month coupled with his behaviour in Halle would suggest his mind is just not on tennis at the moment, so Id say no

Clara Bow
06-13-2005, 10:57 PM
his performances in the past month coupled with his behaviour in Halle would suggest his mind is just not on tennis at the moment, so Id say no

I agree. He doesn't seem to really be enjoying himself out there. So as much as I would love for David to get back into the top 8, I just don't think he will this year.

mandoura
06-13-2005, 11:01 PM
What's really wrong with him? I heard about some personal issues but I don't know what they are. Anyone knows?

Horatio Caine
06-13-2005, 11:07 PM
If he can play injury free and with peace of mind, he is undoubtedly a top 6 player. As he hasn't ever been able to do that in his career he has never done as well as he should have done. With his ongoing personal problems, and I wish him all the best with dealing with them, he is a shadow of a top 10 player and cannot hope of making top 8 by the end of the year.

Neely
06-13-2005, 11:22 PM
If he wants to come back into Top 10 or Top 8 he must do it now in the next weeks until US Open because he has almost nothing to defend so far and can only gain points. After US Open, he can nearly only lose ranking points because he got some strong indoor results in Vienna, Basel, Madrid. However, playing Paris could gain him points again.

I'm not aware of his current situation, but a mentally and physically Nalbandian could do it for sure.

lau
06-13-2005, 11:39 PM
What's really wrong with him? I heard about some personal issues but I don't know what they are. Anyone knows?
Maybe one of his fans have more details, but, as far as I know, his father died in a very unexpected way on 12 th of December 2004. This really affected him. I`m not sure, but I think he was in the hospital when his father died. Plus, he had an hepatic virus and couldnīt play his best tennis for a long time. I donīt know if other personal issues exist.

jazz_girl
06-14-2005, 12:20 AM
He's got the talent to do it for sure, but I don't think he's mind is there to do it yet. I hope I'm wrong...

mandoura
06-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Maybe one of his fans have more details, but, as far as I know, his father died in a very unexpected way on 12 th of December 2004. This really affected him. I`m not sure, but I think he was in the hospital when his father died. Plus, he had an hepatic virus and couldnīt play his best tennis for a long time. I donīt know if other personal issues exist.

What a pity about his father. It is always a very shaking experience, the loss of a parent or a close family member.

I knew about the virus but I guess he must be getting better otherwise he would not have the energy to play.

Shame, because he is one hell of a player when his game is in shape. He has always struck me as a bit down on the mental issue though. A lot of improvements needed there. I wish him all the best.

bad gambler
06-14-2005, 12:51 AM
I hope he can get back on track, a really top guy from what i saw, I met him at AO in 2004 and he was signing autographs after a training session for about an hour when he could easily have just said no.

LaTenista
06-14-2005, 12:58 AM
I saw Nalbandian play a few matches at Cincinnati in 2003 and he didn't seem to be enjoying himself though I was impressed with his game (he made it to the QFs). After one of his wins I stood outside the gate to try to get an autograph (there were about a dozen of us waiting), he came up from the court looking completely disgusted and grimacing and he only signed for the first 3 people. Made me wonder what this guy is like after he loses, if that was his behavior after winning :confused:

Also, his disagreement with the officials at TMC 2003 (as highlighted by Tennis Masters Cup Uncovered, shown on TTC) didn't help my opinion of his attitude towards tennis.

Then last year I saw him practicing at Cincinnati 2004, looking pretty good I thought so I was dumbfounded when the next day he'd withdrawn with an injury. Even more puzzling, one of the volunteers for player transportation told me she took David to the airport and he was "all smiles and happy as a clam". I know this may sound absurd, but did someone force him to play tennis?

Is it possible that his inconsistent tennis is due to his mentality, and not because of injury and personal issues? He's got the talent to get back to the top but I don't see it happening this year. :sad:

Isabel

croat123
06-14-2005, 01:01 AM
no chance

sigmagirl91
06-14-2005, 01:18 AM
I saw Nalbandian play a few matches at Cincinnati in 2003 and he didn't seem to be enjoying himself though I was impressed with his game (he made it to the QFs). After one of his wins I stood outside the gate to try to get an autograph (there were about a dozen of us waiting), he came up from the court looking completely disgusted and grimacing and he only signed for the first 3 people. Made me wonder what this guy is like after he loses, if that was his behavior after winning :confused:

Let me shed some light on that situation: you see, back in 2003 his parents were victims of a kidnapping threat back home. Now with all that to think about, would YOU think about tennis?

DanEd
06-14-2005, 01:25 AM
yes he will.

Fedex
06-14-2005, 02:08 AM
Let me shed some light on that situation: you see, back in 2003 his parents were victims of a kidnapping threat back home. Now with all that to think about, would YOU think about tennis?
Yes, those are happening alot with atheletes in Argentina I've heard. I think Ginobli has had the same problems as well.

DanEd
06-14-2005, 02:09 AM
not really.
Yes, those are happening alot with atheletes in Argentina I've heard. I think Ginobli has had the same problems as well.

Fedex
06-14-2005, 02:09 AM
He could do it, but he needs to show more signs of consistancy.

jazz_girl
06-14-2005, 11:22 AM
There was a rumor about it, but nothing happened.

tennyfan
06-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Nalbandian has certainly had his share of injuries and personal misfortunes to deal with these past couple of years. Hopefully these will make him stronger in the long run. When his game is on, it's really nice to watch. Regarding autographs and such, it's good to remember these players are human beings who have good days and bad days, just like us. It must be difficult to live their life in a fish bowl. When they are at a tournament, I think their first priority should be focusing on their game. I don't think it should be held against them if they don't take the time to sign autographs.

Puschkin
06-14-2005, 12:27 PM
I hope so. I always liked his tennis.

gooner88
06-14-2005, 01:07 PM
If he's fully fit and zoned in mentally, he's a Top 5 player minimum.
He lacks consistency at the moment, so a Top 8 year-end finish this year is unlikely.
However he has no points to defend until the indoor season. So if can go deep at Wimby, US Open and some of the TMS events there's a chance he can get back into the Top 10 this year.

Billy Moonshine
06-14-2005, 01:46 PM
I'd love him too.
I think he'll finish top 15.
I hope he gets better spiritually and physically.
He's a beautiful man with a beautiful game :)

*Elsie*
06-14-2005, 01:52 PM
He's a beautiful man with a beautiful game :)That's very nice :)

I am in an optimistic mood today so yes I think he'll play in Shanghai.

Julio1974
06-14-2005, 01:56 PM
It all depends on him.

Mrs. B
06-14-2005, 02:02 PM
I hope so. I like his game.

DDrago2
06-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Nalbandian I one of my favourite players to watch because his game is original and he is a very competitive and passionate player.

But it seems that he lacks something mentaly. I noticed that he is one of the most under-rated players and that medias seem to overlook him very often. He is also so often relegated to play on smaller courts at the Grand Slams and ATP events. All in all he is a bit eccentric character, people don't realy like him...

DDrago2
06-14-2005, 02:23 PM
And yeah, I forgot - my answer to the question is NO.

NATAS81
06-14-2005, 02:45 PM
He passed up his best chances during clay season.

He didn't even play most of those tourneys.

Definitely not.

It wouldn't surprise me if Pim surpasses him.

Papakori
06-14-2005, 02:47 PM
I don't think so but I think he can improve though his ranking and get top 12 but not top 8 at the moment

Denaon
06-14-2005, 03:09 PM
I don't think he can do it this year, he has to play impressively from now on and defend some points at the end of the year to do so.... I'd love him to do it but..... No :sad: